Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What crossovers have the best 3rd row seats?

gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
So far in order:

Mazda xc-9
Buick Enclave

wHAT SAY YOU?

Comments

• researchqueenresearchqueen Member Posts: 41
    Really good question. It's not just about comfort, it's also about 3rd row access.
    The GM Lamda triplets (Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia) will all have the same rear seat, which is really good. I assume the Chevy Traverse, the fourth in the Lamda crossover line, will have the same when it hits the showroom soon.The Hyundai Veracruz is also good, and has good access. The CX-9, too. This area of the car has received a lot of attention, and for good reason: People are shunning minivans for crossovers, and those third rows get a lot of use.
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    ResearchQueen,

I have been test driving a zillion SUVs-Cross overs and am now maknig offers on the Mazda CX-9 as it has the best of what I desire.......a cross over that can seat 7 comfortably, does not feel huge when driving, has great extras, looks great, priced to sell........Here is what I have tested.......

Saturn Outlook = can you say plastic
    GMC Arcadia = can you say plastic as well
    Buick Enclave - came in second place based on 3rd row
    Hyundai Santa Fe - too small but nice
    Hyundia Veracruz - best bang 4 your buck - great interior/features
    Dodge Journey - more plastic then a hollywood babe
    Toyota Highlander - nice but where is that 3rd row? I dont see it!
    Toyota RAV4 - #1 rated samll SUV that I tested for the heck of it
    etc..
  • pinevalleyitepinevalleyite Member Posts: 19
    Am looking to purchase a new 2009 crossover that will seat 7. Major issues are price, mpg, and comfort of interior and 3rd row seat. Not many crossovers seem to fit 7 unless you go real big. We are trying to decide among the Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9, Chevy Traverse, and Ford Taurus X (which seems to be out of stock everywhere). Can anyone offer their take?
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    I have a lot of experience with the TaurusX (earlier Freestyle, same body). I'm 5'11" and am very comfortable in the rear seat. While the TaurusX does not get as good MPG as the Freestyle, because the Freestyle had a smaller engine, but the Taurus still scores well on the EPA MPG meter, with more power to trade for lower fuel economy.

Remember the EPA MPG figures are for comparison only. People on these threads frequently forget that the ONLY purpose of the EPA MPG figures are to compare cars. For example, my Freestyle has easily exceeded the MPG hiway estimate of 25, routinely getting 27 on trips loaded with lots of people/luggage at 70 mph through Kansas.

If you can't find a TaurusX, the Acadia/Traverse/Outlook/Enclave GM lambda crossovers are a good choice, or a Ford Flex.
  • joes11joes11 Member Posts: 8
    I did a lot of looking...the best third row seat space and comfort was by far the Taurus X, easy access as well espcially if you get the second row bucket seats instead of the bench seat. Acadia was decent but still not as comfortable or spacious as the Taurus X. The highlander's third row was maybe big enough for a squirrel same with the volvo xc90 tiny third rows and more of an afterthought.
  • emel_saabemel_saab Member Posts: 1
    I would vote for Hyundai VERACRUZ !!!

I bought one recently after LOT of research and homework. It is the best SUV with 7 seats with all the luxuries you can expect on a luxury cross over for a reasonable price. The comfort of the 3rd row seat and easy access to the 3rd row played a major role in my choosing VERACRUZ and ofcourse its charming look and price tag.

CX-9 is over priced in my opinion i cant afford it. acadia/outlook looks good but again over priced and i would not buy a car from a bankrupted company.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Well said. I have an 08 model, though now wishing I had the AWD version after driving in snow today, can you say slip and slide? I eventually just turned off the ESC so I could actually get moving. It's the tires, not the vehicle though, that is the problem, once moving, it drives very nice in snow. I am 5'8 and 240 pounds, and can sit OK in the 3rd row. The only thing lacking is room behind the third row seats when they are up, something I knew about when I bought it, but I just could not bring myself to paying an extra $3-4K for an Outlook for a little extra room and not get all the options I got with the VC. I have 19000 miles on it, and aside from the AM filter on the radio going *poof* and having to have it replaced, it has been trouble free, and believe me, the radio is non mechanical so it WAS a non issue, I have had top of the line after market radios go *poof*!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A Women’s Health magazine reporter is interested in speaking with women on the appeal of SUV’s and Minivans. If you previously owned a minivan and currently own an SUV or other crossover utility vehicle and are interested in speaking with this reporter about why you chose it and what you like about it, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your name, email address and day time phone number by Wednesday, August 3, 2011.
  • rezcarrezcar Member Posts: 1
    Thoughts about the Subaru Tribeca?
  • alock1alock1 Member Posts: 1
    As for the tribeca....dont do it. Bought an 06 in 2010 and its a piece at 74,000 miles. Really nice looking and feeling but total lemon on the inside. Right now I have timing belt issues, electrical issuses and more. To keep the car I have to dump about 4000 into it, and I never missed a maintainance call. I have a friend with an 07 and she says the same. Move on and dont waiste your money.