Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius vs VW Golf TDI

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Face it, non-hybrid diesel simply doesn't cut the mustard.

What you need to face is the FACT that most Americans think the Prius is Butt ugly. I happen to be one along with the majority.. In fact nothing ToyLex offers in a hybrid is pleasing to my eyes. Not to mention ToyLex is still in the dark ages on building fine handling automobiles. So what does that leave if you want great handling and decent mileage. It leaves the few diesel offerings from Germany.

Not only that Toyota has the WORST NAV on the market. Mine cannot find the best way home no matter how many times I try to show it. Pure wasted money. Unless Toyota improves and offers a diesel option, they will never see another penny of my money. How is that for a fact you cannot spin around? GM should be happy about the Prius, it makes the Aztek look decent. :P
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    On the looks issue, to me it is in the eyes of the beholder. While I am not a fan of its looks, they do post pretty good coefficient of friction numbers. I (personally) see the Prius as a less...ugly... Aztek.

Also when you talk more apples to apples h power equivalents; Camry hybrid to VW TDI and the $'s premium , with almost negligible comb mpg differences, I do prefer still the Jetta TDI. Indeed the Jetta TDI mpg range has been 39-45 mpg, in break in mode and driven in italian tune mode. I am swagging I would probably have a hard time getting 34 mpg in the Camry hybrid if I drove it like the Jetta TDI. In contrast, if I drove the Jetta TDI like how a Camry hybrid should be driven to get the good mpg figures (34 mpg) I would probably be pushing more like 49-53 mpg in the Jetta TDI.
    "...the Camry hybrid more matches the Jetta in hp (147 hp vs VW TDI 140 hp. Torque (the real motivator) is somewhat mismatched 138# ft vs TDI's 236 #ft. Also the EPA is 33c/34h/34 comb vs TDI 29c/40h/33 comb. "

If the EPA mpg numbers are to be believed (keep in mind the EPA tests have been skewed to favor hybrids) , there is only a 13.7% advantage for hybrids (33C-29c=4 mpg/29 mpg=)
    I'm not sure the C4C program really helped sell the Jetta TDI models. They were pretty much sold when they hit the lot. Especially the Sportswagen. Which is 80% diesel sold to date. The JSW is up 648% this year. Jetta sales are up overall this year from last year by 7%, most of which are diesel sales. The dealers know it and are taking all the TDIs they can get their hands on.

By contrast. Even though Prius had a good month with the C4C program, they are still down in sales by 21% from last year. I think everyone that wants one has it by now. They should be selling at invoice by November.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > Face it, a 70 mpg Polo beats 50 mpg hybrid gasser by 40%

What is the emission rating?

Do you have to shift gears yourself?

How fast can that 1.0 liter engine accelerate?

What happens to efficiency when you run the A/C?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    $17k or so seems more reasonable, although still low, given that a base Golf 2 door diesel would run around $19-20k with the typical $2k premium for the diesel engine--if it were offered here that is. There just isn't that much difference in parts costs between the two, and manufacturing costs would be pretty similar. And I wonder how such a Polo would be equipped.
    Consider that for the year, the Prius is Toyota's hottest selling car, with the least percentage reduction in sales of any of their cars. So while sales are slower than last year during this recession, it seems a lot of people still want one. There are just a lot fewer people who want a Toyota, and a car, in general this year. YTD sales for Prius are now close to 100,000 or over. What are YTD sales of the Jetta TDI?
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Re. Face it, a 70 mpg Polo beats 50 mpg hybrid gasser by 40%...

This may be true, but there's one HUGE problem... the Polo's not available in the USA, so the comparison is moot from a realistic point-of-view for buyer's here in the States.

There's really no sense in putting forth intelligent and well researched data on gas hybrids to ruking1, as he's a die hard Diesel aficionado (period).

Until Diesel's are available across the board here in the States as they are in Europe or other parts of the world, the vast majority of stateside buyers interested in superior fuel economy, will, for better or worse, purchase gas hybrids.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    ULSD is coming!
    ULSD is coming!
    ULSD is coming!

We had to endure that hype for years.

It was the promise of great things to come for non-hybrid diesel.

When ULSD (Ultra Low Surfur Diesel) finally arrived, it was a disappointment. Gas was still cleaner. Diesel sales remained pretty much flat, while hybrid marketshare climbed. And now with the new Prius actually in the top-10 seller list here, trying to stir new attention for non-hybrid diesel poses even more of a challenge... despite ULSD.
    If you are as concerned about mileage as you say, you would be a VW fan rather than a Toyota fan.

"We are extremely pleased with our August sales results. The government sponsored Cash for Clunkers program was instrumental at sparking the entire auto industry. The fact that Volkswagen currently has more vehicles that attain 25 miles per gallon or better on the highway than any other brand well positioned us to capitalize on the program," said Mark Barnes, Chief Operating Officer, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "Volkswagen's success in the program is best illustrated by how well our extremely fuel efficient TDI models sold during the program, resulting in virtual sold out situation of our model year 2009 TDI inventory. However, 2010 model year Jetta sedan TDI's are now available in dealer showrooms and Jetta SportWagen TDI's will be available later this month," added Barnes.

The surge the Prius experienced, as you know, was the new improved model coming out prior to the C4C program being implemented. Toyota probably spends more money at the Congressional trough than does VW. The rush to get the clunker program going in spite of the fact they were not ready to handle the load was a plus for Toyota. VW does not overbuild as Toyota has done here in the USA. VW is profitable and Toyota is losing Billions. VW should pass Toyota as number one in the World next year. The Golf TDI will play a large roll as it increases the sales for VW in the USA. It all has to do with the exchange rate. Same reason Toyota gave for the short supply of Japanese built Prius last year. The sooner VW brings the TN factory on line and expands the already largest auto factory in Mexico, we shall see which company is the greenest of the green.
    In case you (and others) haven't noticed, I am not a "fan" of any particular brand. I OWN A VW. Do you? I've owned Toyotas, and many other brands. I currently own vehicles from four different manufacturers (kids, wife). I buy vehicles that meet my needs. Period. If a Golf TDI would meet my needs best, I would buy one. If a Prius would meet my needs best, I would buy one. (And one "need" is to fit within my budget.) Right now, I think my driving habits are a better fit for a car like the Prius than a car like the Golf TDI.

BTW, the quote you cited is directly opposed to your previous post, that C4C had little impact on VW diesel sales.

Also, please spare me your theories on which company spends more at the Congressional trough, unless you have facts to back it up. But even then, it's not pertinent at all to a discussion of two cars. Let's discuss them on their merits, OK?
    When ULSD (Ultra Low Surfur Diesel) finally arrived, it was a disappointment. Gas was still cleaner.

Purely conjecture and your opinion. RUG has more sulfur than ULSD. RUG has far more carcinogens than ULSD. The State of CA has much stricter rules on pumping Gasoline as the fumes are very dangerous to human health. The biggest problem with gasoline there is NO direct renewable alternative available as there is with diesel.

If, Peak Oil is just around the corner those with a Golf TDI will be still cruising while the Prius owner will be limited to about a mile when the battery runs down. :blush:
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Yeah, I figured that 17K figure was probably a base model with no options, etc.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

In case you (and others) haven't noticed, I am not a "fan" of any particular brand.

Sorry, thought I was responding to John.

The Prius is not as hot of a seller as the RAV4 which is about the only vehicle that is up in sales this year over last. Of course the Prius is not in the sales league with the Corolla or Camry.

I do not agree with the VW person's quote on the C4C TDI sales. From my research the TDI models were selling like hot cakes prior to C4C. I would say it did help VW get rid of a bunch of their gassers.

FYI:
    "It's deeply disappointing that Toyota has joined in the lie-and-threaten game," says Dan Becker, director of the Sierra Club's global-warming program. Speaking to Automotive News [AN, sub], Mr. Becker is referring to Toyota's decision to join The Big 2.8 in lobbying Washington to throttle back on plans for higher Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards. The effort is sure to tarnish the transplant's green credentials and stoke the fires of domestic partisans

I don't see any signs of VW paying off Congress to get their way.
    Looks like it's not possible to keep this discussion on topic, and no one really seems to care that there are prospective buyers of these two cars (like me) here to learn more about the cars, not wind through endless debates over which company does more lobbying or which is "greener" or whatnot. That's a shame.

So anyway... here's another quote from the same article:

Tim MacCarthy, who retired last year as president of the international automakers association after more than 30 years of Washington lobbying, says he believes Toyota helped end the industry's just-say-no attitude toward increases in fuel economy standards.

An industry-backed bill nearing a vote in the House still would challenge the companies, MacCarthy and others say. It would require a fuel economy improvement of 30 to 40 percent within 15 years.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20070730/FREE/70730006

And VW does lobby Congress... for example:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6674/is_200310/ai_n26620916/

And they lobby elsewhere, e.g. against proposed standards on vehicle emissions in Europe:

On 26 January 2007, German companies BMW, Volkswagen and DaimlerChrysler, together with the European units of Ford and General Motors sent a letter to Commission President Barroso. In the letter they asked him to withdraw the proposed new emissions standard, alleging that the proposed measures were “technically unrealisable” and would constitute “a massive industrial political intervention at the expense of the entire European, and especially the German, automobile industry”. They did not hesitate to evoke the spectre of massive industrial desertification: “The direct consequence would be the migration of a large number of jobs from the automobile manufacturers and the supplier industry”.[18] This threat may have looked quite convincing as it came only two months after Volkswagen had announced restructuring plans that could result in the loss of up to 4,000 jobs in the Brussels region.[19]

http://archive.corporateeurope.org/carlobby.html

So if you think VW doesn't lobby for their best interests, even if it means working against actions to improve the environment... think again.
    You say it works against improving environment and I say the Golf TDI and other modern diesels work to improve the environment. If the EPA had their head where it belongs we would have matched the EU for automobile standards decades ago and be using a lot less fuel today.

By the way how much money did they stuff in the envelope with their letter?

If the Prius was as environmentally friendly as the proponents would have us believe it would be built here. There are many components in the Hybrids that could not be built here with current EPA regulations. NiMH batteries for one.
    ..."When ULSD (Ultra Low Surfur Diesel) finally arrived, it was a disappointment. Gas was still cleaner. "...

John1709a's quote does not triangulate with the facts. While allrespect his rights to his opinions,his opinion is rooted in pure fantasy. Or to be more PC, not based on the facts.

RUG to PUG is required by law to be delivered @ 90 ppm sulfur and can be off line mitigated (fees) to 30 ppm sulfur.

ULSD is required by law to be delivered @ less than 15 ppm and is normally 5 ppm sulfur.

So RUG to PUG can be up to 18 times DIRTIER than ULSD.

Standard to standard RUG to PUG is 2 times dirtier than D2. (30 ppm/15 pm)

The more normal reality: RUG to PUG is 5 times dirtier (30 ppm/5 ppm)

(However that includes 90 ppm off line mitigated by fees to 30 ppm, so as you can see the reality is inflated ppm sulfur for RUG to PUG.)

We haven't even talked about bio diesel which is normally ZERO ppm to 2 ppm sulfur. Again we have gone over the hurdles the system has thrown in its way.
    You can "say" all you want. It does not change the fact that both Toyota and VW lobby the world's governments in their own interests. That is what many, many companies do. As for money in envelopes, if you are charging Toyota with bribing US government officials, then where is your proof? And if you have proof, isn't it really more a matter for the Dept of Justice than this forum? (If you contact the US Attorney General's office with your proof, they can follow up on it.)

You must have heard about the US factory for the Prius in Mississippi, which was put on hold last year when demand for the Prius dropped amid the plunge in gas prices?
    ..."Consider that for the year, the Prius is Toyota's hottest selling car, with the least percentage reduction in sales of any of their cars. So while sales are slower than last year during this recession, it seems a lot of people still want one. There are just a lot fewer people who want a Toyota, and a car, in general this year. YTD sales for Prius are now close to 100,000 or over. What are YTD sales of the Jetta TDI? "...

If you put this into context that the fuel efficient (relatively) Prius in effect buys the right to produce less fuel efficient cars (Gagrice probably can add his perspective on this) Tundra, Tacoma, (real) Landcruiser, Landcruiser, Avalon, the luxo Lexus line, etc, it is even a greater factorial failure. Hopefully the cash for clunkers program will at least let Toyota (and others) to post a nominal profit.

..."You must have heard about the US factory for the Prius in Mississippi, which was put on hold last year when demand for the Prius dropped amid the plunge in gas prices?"...

Backys quote is redundant confirmation of what I am trying to say.

The fact that VW can't open its Chattanooga, TN plant to add to the capacity to produce 40% diesels, is still another. (redundancy)

So for example if hybrids are not selling why on earth would one (Toyota for example) up the production of... hybrids??????

You can also substitue VW in that syllogism and discuss from there.
    ..."There's really no sense in putting forth intelligent and well researched data on gas hybrids to ruking1, as he's a die hard Diesel aficionado (period)."

The (actual) ratios of miles deny your assertions 11 to one in favor of gasser (greater) miles. The miles indicate a die hard gasser bent.

to correct an above post : ..."The fact that VW can't open its Chattanooga, TN plant " (please insert) FAST enough
    So for example if hybrids are not selling why on earth would one (Toyota for example) up the production of... hybrids??????

They are selling, for the Prius at over 100,000 YTD. They are not selling as briskly as they did when gas was over $4 a gallon. How "hot" were diesels when diesel fuel was selling for a considerable premium over gas? Not very.

Let's apply this reasoning to the Golf TDI. If the TDI is not selling, why would VW want to up the production of them, e.g. produce them here (which is what gagrice was wondering about)?

The Golf TDI has been described by some here as a "niche" car, to explain its low sales volume and the fact that VW apparently has no interest in shipping more here or making some here. The same could be said for the Prius. It is a four-door hatchback (not the most popular car style), it has a distinctive shape (which I bet you'll agree is not to everyone's taste), and it comes at a price premium compared to other compact/midsized cars. Those factors don't drive big sales numbers, in this recession. But when the price of gas goes up, the value equation changes and the Prius becomes more popular.
    "They are selling, for the Prius at over 100,000 YTD."

I think most of us heard you the first time. For the record, I hear you the second time....

Diesels were not "hot" simply because the policy has not been for diesel (anti). They actually went through a banning.

So to gasser owning folks, that is the system signalling its ... distemper. What do you think that would do to Prius sales , if it went through such a ban?

This is in marked contrast to hybrid cheer leading. For all the hybrid cheer leading and special dispensations, you would think the hybrid populations (sales) would be much higher than the diesels. Where as diesel passenger cars have received banning, to limited to be sold (in the US) as niche vehicles, such as diesel light (heavy) trucks.

I have read in passing the diesel population is @ 3% and the hybrid population is @ 2%. I will however grant you the (anti) diesel policies have been wildly successful in keeping the passenger diesel population down.

..."The Golf TDI has been described by some here as a "niche" car, to explain its low sales volume and the fact that VW apparently has no interest in shipping more here or making some here."...

Evidently despite the internet, you either did not read, ignored or comprehend my post on the effect of VW making/assembling diesels in Chattanooga, TN.

This is interesting in light of the fact that Prius is still made in two locations in Japan and one in China link title aka not North America. Toyota acknowledges ( I have read several articles in passing so you can google it yourself) that outside of Japan itself the US is one of the bigger markets for its (Prius) hybrid product. Golfs are made in Wolfsburg, Germany. So if VW can sell all it makes on the world market, and at more of a profit.... ??? (anyone can connect the dots here?)

The (indefinite) suspension of the MISS plant might indicate the same might not be true for the world market for (Prius) hybrids. This would be troubling in that the US is one of the bigger markets.

Secondarily, Toyota has closed a US (Fremont CA) plant making: the Corolla (second best economy car) , Tacoma, Pontiac Vibe (1/2 GM Pontiac Vibe uses a Toyota drive train) .

So if I understand correctly because they have more "foreign" content that.... not, both Prius/Golf are subjected to the 25% tariffs.

Jetta TDI being a defacto "American" car (NAFTA treaties) are not subjected to the 25% tariffs. Jetta's are assembled in North America (Mexico) ( our 51 state ;) )

I would defer to an expert's explanations on the issue.

Despite all the bru ha ha about massive increases in Prius sales (or so some would try to lead folks to believe) why the almost indefinite suspension of the Prius plant in Miss? This is also problematic because US built Prius would NOT be subject to the 25% tarriffs over Toyota's costs. Obviously Toyota could keep the prices the same and pocket the profits (25% over its cost of manufacture) or drop the price massively to ever (projection on my part) increased volumes of Prius sales!!!!!!!

Indeed for VW, they can modulate the US currency devaluations better and build profits that way AND not "qualify" for the US over seas made vehicle 25% tariffs for ALL domestic sales of its (TN) US build products. They can manufacture solely for the US markets or help in the US balance of trade by exporting VW (American made) diesels and gassers, etc. !!!
    There are two upshots for me

1. A good reason to buy a Prius for it is still made in Japan
    2. Golf (GTD) engineered and (STILL) made in Germany
    2. hot rod turbo diesel :shades:
    Evidently despite the internet, you either did not read, ignored or comprehend my post on the effect of VW making/assembling diesels in Chattanooga, TN.

Well, I do know you haven't been reading my posts because I've mentioned that factory at least twice. But from what I've read, it won't be producing Golfs, just the new mid-sized sedan. Where did you see it will produce Golfs?

As for Toyota closing its NUMMI plant after GM pulled out of the partnership... what does that have to do with the Prius vs.Golf? Toyota plans to start production of the Prius in Mississippi about the same time the new VW plant opens in TN.
    ..."Where did you see it will produce Golfs? "...

Let's see, I tell you Golf's are made in Wolfsburg Germany and have no economic reason to be made in TN and out of left field, you are asking where I see Golf's will be made in TN??? Ah,... no !!??

..."As for Toyota closing its NUMMI plant after GM pulled out of the partnership... what does that have to do with the Prius vs.Golf? Toyota plans to start production of the Prius in Mississippi about the same time the new VW plant opens in TN."...

First off it is cutting off its productive capacity by app min 400,000 units (per year). and that is only with 2 shifts. If they figured 3 shifts.......... more like 600,000 units.. Once they close the plant, it will be literally a TOTAL uphill battle to put another plant (any) in the area EVEN in the same LOCATION !!! Less PC, it will be IMPOSSIBLE !!!!

They are also cutting the capacity for building the Tundra. This is by it self, HUGE !!! I had read to the figure 150,000 units. Tell me the latest figures, if I read an old article.

Toyota will be lucky not to experience ANOTHER massive $ loss. It will in effect pull off a miracle to not lose as much Prius sales. (-30% by Bloomberg news)

Now tell me why it makes sense to you that TO MO CO will open its already 90% built Miss plant to up its Prius capacity??????? It is already OVER CAPACITY @ its 2 Japan and 1 China locations.

Peripherally that even might be a good question , in the context that the Golf has never been a real competitor of the Prius and vice versa. Indeed as I have said in a prior post, power, mpg figures, etc. put the TDI more in competition with the Camry hybrid and Camry.

In my own selection process for a purposeful daily commute in mind, the Prius was more in competition with the Corolla/Civic . After giving all of them long test drives 24 hr each, I chose the Civic. I also detailed how the Civic has proved to be app 23.6% cheaper than the Prius (per mile driven depreciation and fuel) . When I had to select with a purposeful daily commute with the additional road car duties , the VW TDI was selected. Again the VW TDI is app 23.5% cheaper than the Prius.
    As for Toyota closing its NUMMI plant after GM pulled out of the partnership... what does that have to do with the Prius vs.Golf?

More than once Ahnold begged Toyota to build the Prius in CA the largest buyer of the model in the USA. The new Tupelo plant will not likely see the Prius.

Jun 13th 2009 at 2:01PM

Steve St. Angelo, senior vice president of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc. said:

We're very committed to that plant. But we're looking at our whole portfolio and asking which products it makes sense to build or not build in North America.

In other words, it's becoming increasingly unlikely that the new 2010 Prius will be built in the U.S. any time soon. Construction of the plant was halted after the exterior shell was completed back in December of 2008 and work won't begin again until Toyota has a solid plan in place on how best to utilize the facility. For what it's worth, Toyota officials tell our friends at Prius Chat that there's no truth to rumors that the plant's workers have been relocated and that the Prius will indeed be the first vehicle to roll down the assembly line in Tupelo.

Mississippi is still wasting money and Toyota is on hold.

By Associated Press

7:59 AM CDT, August 25, 2009
    BLUE SPRINGS, Miss. (AP) — Infrastructure projects are continuing nearly on schedule around Toyota's Mississippi plant, but the manufacturing facility is still on hold.

Mississippi Department of Transportation officials activated the traffic light on a new frontage road Monday for Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi.

The three-mile road connects Mississippi Highway 9 near the Sherman exit off U.S. Highway 78.

Bill Jamieson, an MDOT engineer, said construction was completed a few days after the Aug. 12 deadline.

It's the most recent update in a $43 million road project that started after Toyota announced in February 2007 it would build a facility near Blue Springs.

Toyota in December put the plant on hold indefinitely because of the weak economy.

Meanwhile VW is full blast on their new TN plant.

Volkswagen
    is opening a plant in Chattanooga Tennessee in early 2011. This will be VW’s first vehicle production unit in the US. The Supervisory Board of Volkswagen AG, Germany have agreed to the establishment and approved an investment of up to 620 million Euros the equivalent of $1 billion USD.

The first car to roll off the line will be a vehicle designed and built specifically for the U.S. market. In the medium term, Volkswagen will aim for some 2,000 employees working directly for the company, in addition to large numbers of outside jobs, for example, in supply and logistics. According to Prof. Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen AG, the growth strategy for VW will be 800,000 cars a year by 2018 in the ‘United States’, giving rise to the thought that this may not be VW’s only American plant.

The company’s last US plant closed 20 years ago. The company’s current strategy is to sell 800,000 cars in the US by 2018. Audi is also considering opening its own plant in the United States.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Volkswagen doesn't currently sell a Golf TDI in the US.

(They will start up the sales when the Mk. 6 Golf comes to the states for the 2010 model year, though.)
    Yep, I think most of us in here know that. Thanks for the reminder.
    Let's see, I tell you Golf's are made in Wolfsburg Germany and have no economic reason to be made in TN and out of left field, you are asking where I see Golf's will be made in TN??? Ah,... no !!??

Call me crazy, but I was just thinking that, this being a Golf vs. Prius discussion and all, that your comments about the TN plant might have something to do with the Golf. Obviously they don't.

Nor do your comment about the Tundra, putting another plant in the Fremont, CA, area, and Toyota's potential for financial losses.

But tell me... why is it OK with you for VW to decide not build Golfs in its TN plant to meet the strong demand (gagrice keeps reminding us that they are selling so fast there's none to be found in his area), when it's a big problem for you that Toyota has decided to delay completion of its Tupelo plant until 2011--which btw is the same time the VW plant in TN is scheduled to start making cars (but not Golfs)? You say VW has "no economic reason" to build Golfs in TN. Don't you suppose the reason Toyota is delaying building Priuses in Tupelo is because they have no economic reason to do it earlier?

This incredible bias in favor of VW and against Toyota is so blatant, it's actually funny.
    Whether you realize it or not you are coming closer to realizing what I am trying to say. You either do not see it yet or are still in denial.

Again you are the one claiming the Prius sales are good at a quoted MINUS-21% !!??? It is not I. I am also saying that TO MO CO is greatly scaling back its Prius capacity (by not loading its MS plant) as well as many other product lines with less mpg. Indeed if it LOADED its MS plant it would need to manufacture a minimum of 80% of the plants capacity to B/E. So using 400,000 units (of the closing NUMMI plant) 80% of that would be 320,000 units. Now you were saying Prius sales is at the lofty MY sales of 100,000 units? They decided to close the Toyota/GM Numm plant because it was operating at 65%.Right now without the GM portion it is operating at 50% and BLEEDING $'s hand over fist. And you think 25% capacity is...viable and the slam dunk indicator I am BIASED !!??? :confuse:

Again Golf's are not direct competitor's of Prius's. In case you did not get it , the VW TN plant at full capacity will be 800,000 units, while TOMOCO has CUT @ least 500,000 units !!? If this is confusing, it is another reason why I left off the expansion of the VW Mexico plant, which among other things makes the Jetta.

So is it bias? Ah no !!! Funny? When you start to see the TOMOCO ripple effects, it is close to devasting and sad :lemon:

But CA's business policies are so toxic, that even world class manufacturing corporations like TOMOCO can't afford to do business here !!??
    I think you are trying to play verbal games which is fine. But I don't see any data that says Toyota will build anything in their Tupelo plant in 2011. All I see is it is on hold.

June 10, 2009
    Toyota broke ground on the $1.3 billion Tupelo plant in 2006 to produce Highlander crossovers. Last summer the automaker delayed the project and then later changed plans to produce the Prius there instead. But last December, Toyota halted the project indefinitely, opting to finish construction of the building shell and wait for market conditions to improve.

Why should it make any difference where the Golf is built? VW has much bigger plans for the US market than just the Golf. Hopefully all models will be offered with diesel engines.

If Toyota was truly optimistic about the Prius sales they should have made room in one of their many plants that are running far below capacity. Such as San Antonio. Their 250k Tundra sales will be lucky to hit 50% of projection. That leaves a lot of room to build a lot more Prius. I think they cut the Prius too close to make a profit building them in the USA. Much the same as the D3's failure to be competitive with small cars built here. VW is wise to build the bigger stuff here and bring the small ones from Mexico.
  • wpeasewpease Member Posts: 6
    Got the options and a trade in for about 29700.
    I just left a credit card deposit.
    It was a Prius 111 and i was given a sticker which showed MSRP base 25800 and the nav pkg with a few mats etc type accessories 2289

Edmunds shows base as 23500.

Dont sticker prices have to reflect the accurate Toyota base price?
    Then added my 95 honda for allegedly a 1000 dollars tradein.
    And they 'let me have it for 29000,

I didnt sign any buyer's agreement yet though as it was to be done Monday. If it was a ripoff can i still back out?

thanks
    W
    I would email all the dealers for a direct quote. Some dealers are computer literate others are not. That seems pretty high for a model 3 Prius. They are flying high right now with the sales boom they had with C4C. You may want to wait until they get hungry around November. For me anything over invoice is a rip-off. I would wait till the market is in favor of the buyers again.
    Thank you. Thank you very much. I enjoyed that a lot. Great way to end the day.
    According to Japan’s Nikkei, Toyota has put its U.S. Prius production plans on hold. The most popular hybrid in the world was slated to begin production in Mississippi in 2010, but those plans have now been pushed back to 2011 at the earliest.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-delays-us-prius-production-plans.html

Why should it make any difference where the Golf is built?

It doesn't in general. The only thing about where the Golf is built that is relevant is, the level of quality of the plant. Otherwise, who cares except people who have a thing about buying a car not "made in the USA". Since only one of my cars was, and that's a Mazda, it doesn't matter to me. But it seemed there was a LOT of emphasis placed by some folks here on Priuses not made in the USA, Corolla factories closing, etc.

If Toyota was truly optimistic about the Prius sales they should have made room in one of their many plants that are running far below capacity.

The way I see it, if Toyota were truly optimistic about Prius sales, they would built a new plant for them. Which was the plan, before the auto market collapsed late last year. So they now have a partially-completed plant in MS that can still build Priuses when sales support it.

Anyway, since it doesn't make any difference where the Golf is built, it doesn't make any difference where the Prius is built, does it now?
    Anyway, since it doesn't make any difference where the Golf is built, it doesn't make any difference where the Prius is built, does it now?

Not to me it doesn't. I am thinking the Golf will be built in the EU for a while anyway. My point has always been that the Prius cannot be built in the USA due to pollution in manufacturing certain components. Many Prius drivers only care about tailpipe emissions. That is a small part of an automobiles pollution on the planet. Just because the batteries and motors are built in a third world country does not release them from guilt in my mind. The NoX, SoX and PM produced by the Prius in MFG far exceeds the non hybrid counterpart according to Toyota. The emissions only equals out at near end of life of the vehicles. On Particulate Matter the Golf will never be as polluting as the Prius.
    .."Thank you. Thank you very much. I enjoyed that a lot. Great way to end the day. "...

I am no automotive pundit, but a consumer like you and most other interested car "nuts". ;)

If I were to try to do a "lessons" learned on the Prius hybrid /Golf TDI comparo, it would be to quantify and qualify what a buyer's needs/wants/desires are.

The good news is that you can compare almost dissimilar products for a host of reasons. The bad news is you can compare almost dissimilar products for a host of reasons. The easiest would be to do comparos on similar products. I would also submit the oems do not make that an easy job most times.
    My point has always been that the Prius cannot be built in the USA due to pollution in manufacturing certain components.

Then that was a really stupid thing Toyota did, planning and even starting that plant in Tupelo, MS, USA to build Priuses, wasn't it? To construct a factory to build cars that cannot be built there--that seems really strange, don't you think?

As for environmental impact, here's some data from the EPA. Feel free to provide your own data from an independent source comparing the 2010 Prius and 2010 Golf TDI:

Stat: Prius / Golf

Fuel Economy Combined: 50 / 34
    Real-world Average FE: 51.7 / NA
    Annual fuel cost: $774 / $1160
    Annual petroleum consumption: 6.9 barrels / 11.9 barrels
    Annual CO2 (tons): 3.7 / 6.2
    EPA size class: midsized / compact

These figures are based on the defaults on www.fueleconomy.gov. It's possible to adjust things like fuel costs and miles driven to get numbers that reflect individual cases.

Do you have figures for particulate emissions for the 2010 Prius and 2010 Golf TDI? Also, do you happen to have a link to the report that shows the manufacture of the Prius generates more NoX, SoX, and PM far exceeds that of the Golf TDI?
    The easiest would be to do comparos on similar products.

Here we are comparing the Prius to the Golf TDI. Two hatchbacks with high fuel economy and roughly the same starting price. The Golf is a little shorter than the Prius, hence has less cargo space, but interior volume is pretty close. Very different powertrains of course. But if the cars were too similar, any kind of comparison would be pretty boring, wouldn't it?
    Then that was a really stupid thing Toyota did, planning and even starting that plant in Tupelo, MS, USA to build Priuses, wasn't it?

Assembling parts made in third world hell holes is not the same as manufacturing a complete vehicle. Last I read the F150 is the highest American content vehicle at 85%. I am sure you are aware that the Camry hybrids are only assembled here. The San Antonio Tundra plant is proof Toyota makes mistakes in their planning. So the answer to your quip is, Yes Toyota does Stupid things. In this case it is an empty shell that has not created the jobs Toyota promised the people of Tupelo. And the tax payers in that state are stuck with big promises and no revenue.

You will get to poke me back if VW does not live up to their promises in TN.
    ..."But if the cars were too similar, any kind of comparison would be pretty boring, wouldn't it? "...

Actually that is a hard one to argue with ! ;) :shades:
    I don't think the execs at Toyota would argue with you that they have done a number of "stupid" things. But they did go forward with plans to build Priuses in the US--which you say is impossible.

In today's flat world, do you really expect every component of every car to be manufactured in one country? Does VW make all parts for the Golf in Germany, for example? Or all parts for the Jetta in Mexico? When they start making the new mid-sized car in TN, will all parts be made in the US? I doubt it.

Where are the batteries for VWs manufactured? For example, where will the NiMH batteries for the Toureg hybrid be made? Not that it matters to me... but it seems to matter to you.
    In today's flat world, do you really expect every component of every car to be manufactured in one country?

You really like to deflect from the issues. So I will explain my position. Getting parts from where ever is NOT the issue. The issue is whether the EPA will allow those parts to be manufactured in the USA. Sort of like the current mandate for CFL bulbs that cannot be manufactured in the USA due to mercury regulations. If every part of a Prius could be manufactured here then it would not be a real issue. By sending the dirty work to countries like China and Indonesia means we are just as guilty of messing up the environment as if we had made the part in Kansas.

Bottom line. Anything that cannot be made here under EPA regulations should not be allowed into the USA.
    The issue is whether the EPA will allow those parts to be manufactured in the USA.

OK. So... why is that an issue in this discussion of the Golf vs. Prius? Are you saying that VW doesn't do the same kind of "dirty work" as Toyota, since it uses (or will soon use) similar parts e.g. traction batteries?

Anyway... the reason batteries for hybrids aren't made in the US isn't because of EPA regulations, but more about restrictive licensing practices of patent-holders, and funding. The funding part might be solved now, for the US battery manufacturers:

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/obama-invests-2point4-billion-plug-cars-and-batte- ries-25957.html

If you can post for us the link to the EPA regulations that ban the manufacture of batteries for hybrids in the US, that would be great.
    This is a joke and another waste of tax payers money.

Almost all battery manufacturing for advanced technology vehicles is currently based in Asia.

General Motors will receive more than $240 million in grants, including $106 million for its planned battery pack assembly factory in Brownstown Township. Ford will receive nearly $100 million, while Chrysler will get $70 million.

It may not be impossible to manufacture a Li-Ion or NiMH cell here. It is the fact that getting through all the regulations takes years. By the time a permit is issued the technology is ancient. Where it only takes months in most countries it takes years if an EPA permit is ever issued. We have developed many technologies and found it easier and less of a hassle to just give it over to China to produce. Why would we want any technology that cannot be readily manufactured in the USA?

China is making “vast progress” in lithium-ion battery manufacturing technology, according to a review published earlier this year by Argonne National Laboratory under the sponsorship of the US Department of Energy’s Office of Vehicle Technologies (OVT).

Among the findings of the report on the state of the Li-ion industry in China are:

From 2001 to 2004, the number of battery companies in China increased from 455 to 613; accordingly, the number of employees in those industries also increased from 140,000 in 2001 to 250,000 in 2004. The total output reached 63.416 billion Yuan ($8.1 billion) in 2004, which is an increase of 52.58% over 2001.

In the past three to four years, companies outside of the Peoples Republic of China (PRC) have been bringing advanced battery technologies to the PRC and setting up partnerships and/or joint ventures to manufacture batteries for these and other applications (such as electric bikes, EVs, and HEVs) to take advantage of low labor cost and incentives provided by the Chinese government. Companies in the PRC are very aggressive in developing manufacturing processes for the batteries export market.

Put simply we are at the trailing edge of every new technology.
    Those battery cells we are assembling are being manufactured in Korea where the regulations and high cost of UAW labor does not totally destroy the incentive for hybrid vehicles. So two good reasons to build batteries for the Prius in other countries. Regulations and high labor costs. Even with the Li-Ion cells being built in Korea the estimated cost for the GM Volt battery will be $32,000. If the US is counting on EVs to save the environment, they are Dreaming.

That is 80% of the cost of the Volt going to China or Korea.

Not that it has anything to do with our thread title.
    First you said "Anything that cannot be made here under EPA regulations should not be allowed into the USA." Now you say, "It is the fact that getting through all the regulations takes years. By the time a permit is issued the technology is ancient."

So in fact, there are NO EPA regulations that prevent batteries for hybrids to be made here. It's just that this technology takes some investment. Maybe Asian companies are more willing to make this kind of long-term investment, compared to companies in the US. Here's an article that sheds some light on that:

http://www.atp.nist.gov/eao/wp05-01/chapt5.htm

So can we drop all this c*** about the how terrible hybrids are because the Big, Bad EPA prevents components from being made in the US, and get back to talking about these two cars??
    You want to ignore the facts about the pollution caused in the manufacture of the Prius and other hybrids that is your prerogative. That does not make those facts change or go away.

Simply put the Prius pollutes more than the Golf TDI until well into its life cycle. I question if it ever ends up cleaner. I have to bring out this chart from Toyota about once a year to keep people informed of the facts. Remember this was compared to a gas engine which will have much higher CO2 than a Golf TDI.

Simply put the Prius pollutes more than the Golf TDI until well into its life cycle.

In other words, you are saying the Golf TDI will pollute more over its lifetime than a Prius. I agree that for people concerned about the environment, that is something to consider in selecting one of these cars.

Also, it appears gas engine cars will pollute more over their lifetimes than a Prius, except for particulate matter, based on the chart you provided. (BTW, is that chart for the 2010 Prius? I recall your mentioning this chart several years ago. Has it been updated since then?)
    This chart came out with the 2004 Prius. Not sure that would make a lot of difference unless the battery and electric motor are smaller in the 2010. For someone such as myself that rarely puts over 7000 miles a year on a vehicle, that 100k mile Life Cycle Analysis leans toward the non hybrid. Those that burn up the miles it will be different. I have advised several people that put a lot of miles in mostly urban and stop & go freeway driving to check out the Prius. A couple took my advice and like them. Neither one would get a big thrill out of a cruise through the back country, as I do. I would buy a Porsche if my wife would not make a big fuss. So I am looking for a compromise vehicle she would like as well as myself. I am thinking the Golf TDI may do the trick.
This discussion has been closed.