Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus ES 350 Paint Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    edited August 2010
    And this is why you bought a Lexus? Are you sure you didn't buy it from a Yugo dealership?
  • Options
    roadster8roadster8 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Canada but weather is no different than Northern US. I have a white 2007 ES350 and had a 3M clear shield applied to the hood before delivery so have not had stone chip problems. But the car started to show rust when it was brand new in areas protected by trim, like under window molding, behind door handles, in the water channel under the trunk lid and on the trunk lid itself. Both rear doors and the trunk channel have been repainted under warrantee (there were roughly 20 different rust spots) but Lexus refuses to acknowledge that the car has an inherent problem. Two mag wheels also had to be repainted due to paint bubbling. I've been driving Lexus for 15 years but this will be the last. I hope someone manages to show them that they cannot advertise "Perfection", charge premium prices then stick consumers with inferior product.
  • Options
    lldevillldevil Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 IS 250 new here in Phoenix, Arizona. My service advisor, whom I adore said I should purchase the clear bra for the car. I haven't and my black paint has held up pretty well considering? I may check again. I went through the recall for the floor mats and gas pedal. No big deal. Had my valves serviced three times now for getting clogged? Always use premium. Now I only use Shell premium gasoline and all is good, just like they said! I do have a question. I just recently had to have my windshield replaced. At first glance, it looked like the glass company just did a horrible job! The moldings around the sides of the windshield is all cracked and glued back together and the moldings around the bottom of the windshield is cracked, rotting and coming away from the car. It literally crumbles in your hands. Come to find out the moldings around the windshield are just bad. Defective? The car is only two years old and well taken care of. So, new moldings are being ordered and replaced. I am curious if anyone else has this problem? And, are the rest of the seals around the windows in the car going to start to crack and rot too? I'm kind of bummed.
  • Options
    elijesseelijesse Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 ES 330, color is Black Garnet Pearl...it looks like Black Cherry..very pretty color. I purchased it 12 months ago..at that time, the paint was fine, no dings or chips. I have noticed in the past few months chips of paint missing on the hood and bumper. The car appears to have a cloudy finish now. I wash it weekly and take very good care of it...I have also noticed loud "road noise", I noticed that the seal around the windshield is cracking and I wonder if the noise I'm hearing is from the windshield. After reading the other comments posted about dark colored Lexus..I feel certain I am on my own in dealing with the paint issues, but what about the seal/seals....I bought a Lexus becasue i wanted quality, I was very unhappy with my previous domestic and wanted to have a quality vehicle...I'm staring to think this was not a good idea. Any suggestions.
  • Options
    brina5brina5 Member Posts: 1
    Help , my paint gets worse everyday . First oil change , I told my dealer and he said that is the curse of the Lexus Paint . Wow, that made me feel great . So of course they will not paint the car . He said it was just road conditions too . Bull ,I had a 11 year old Honda , Only had a few chips in paint , no dings in the paint . Makes me sick for the money I paid . Honda had 237000 miles . What can we do from here ? Is ther a lawsuit for this going on ?
  • Options
    renee22renee22 Member Posts: 1
    My blue ES 350 had hundreds of chips on the hood. I had Lexus of Carlsbad auto shop repaint it and within months there were hundreds more. I took it to an excellent independent auto body shop and had it repainted at my own expense. Within 2 weeks there were chips already forming. I went back to the shop and he pointed out there were also a myriad of chips in my windshield and in the paint of my rear view mirrors. He feels that the design of the car with the front dipping down allows for debris to come up and chip the paint and other parts of the car.
    I'd be glad to join in a class action lawsuit also.
    I had bought a 2006 ES 350 and had a loud thunk sound at various times. After taking it to the dealership many times, they finally admitted they could not fix it. The head mechanic said that most of the 2006 ES 350s had this problem. So I had to buy a newer car, the one I have now, a 2007 ES 350, which was not in my budget. And now I have the paint problem.
    I had a 1995 Lexus for 14 years and had no problems whatsoever. That is why I spent the money to buy another Lexus, and I have nothing but problems!!!
  • Options
    draperysewerdraperysewer Member Posts: 11
    I started this thread three years ago on the paint issue. I have appreciated the comments that others are experiencing the same. Thank goodness I leased this vehicle and it was a happy day Friday when I turned it in and picked up my very fun to drive Buick LaCrosse. I was so disappointed in the quality of this 2008 ES, when compared to 3 other ES models that I have leased or owned. I felt the quality had declined with my 2008 model. In the last few months it developed a very annoying rattle up by the locking mechanism of the sunroof. It does not rattle all the time but when it does, it isn't pleasant. My Michalin tires lasted less than 24,000 miles. I paid for regular rotations. Either the dealer never actually rotated them, but collected the money, or they are inferior. My right front had barely any tread and the left front wasn't much better. At no charge the dealer did exchange the fronts and rear tires. The rear tires weren't real good but they definitely had more tread. I finally was able to ignore the paint issue and just count the days until turning it in. Yesterday I bumped the door frame edge of my new car with a metal pan. I nearly died thinking I had made a knick on my 4 day old car. I was so relieved it didn't even scratch it. I wrote Lexus numerous times with no response. Lexus requested that I send one question to the General Manager, Lexus US. Paint was it. I never heard back sadly. Maybe they don't care or maybe they think they can ride on previous quality image. Good luck to you all. For you that own the vehicle...go for it on what ever compensation you can get.
  • Options
    draperysewerdraperysewer Member Posts: 11
    A final thought on the car design. There may be merit to the design being the problem, but I don't really buy it. My 2002 was a very similar front and never had the chipping issue. This is not the only vehicle with a sloping hood design. I guess you would have to ask owners of other brand models if they experience the same.
  • Options
    nealk1nealk1 Member Posts: 2
    Please contact them. There are so many people who don't do anything because they don't know what to do.

http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com...t-problems.php

My name is on the class action law suit. My paint job is a joke. Everybody is in shock after they see it and when I tell them Lexus wouldn't do anything about it.

Please watch video Ford Taurus vs. LS460 chipping test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvDXjYHtuw

I took my 2010 Lexus IS in at 3400 miles to a Cadillac dealer in the area I was considering to repaint my car. His first comment was the front end looked like a car with 70000 plus miles on it. I have a 1999 Blazer, 140,000 miles, used for hunting, off road, utility, etc. When you match the front ends up ( both black ) the Chevrolet doesn't have hardly a mark on it. Night and day comparison.
  • Options
    qtgritsqtgrits Member Posts: 2
    OMG, I noticed all these chips in the front of my 2007 ES350 and I thought it was because I went down a gravel driveway at my girlfriend's house ONE TIME. Now to read that everyone is having issues is really depressing. I can't seem to find anything about a lawsuit though. Do you know anything?
  • Options
    sbergersberger Member Posts: 2
    I'm also not aware of any actual lawsuit being pursued right now, but would also like to know if there is one being contemplated and how to enjoin with it. If anyone has information on this, please share so we can figure out how to participate. Longer I have car, the more chips appear with just normal routine driving....
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry, we don't allow info about specific lawsuits to be posted in the Forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    randy1000randy1000 Member Posts: 1
    Good Luck trying to get any satisfaction from Lexus! I have a 2009 ES350 and the paint problems started the first time I washed and waxed the car. The clear coat is flawed, it scratches very easily but it also chips very easily. Lexus dealers and lexus themselves position is to deny deny deny. I have spoken to a dealer and they just bounced me from piller to post without ever giving me a straight answer, so I contacted Lexus directly. I have never been treated with such disrespect in my life. The paint looks so bad I am ashamed to drive this car. Probably the best complaint to make is to tell all your friends and to do exactly what Lexus wants and go away.
  • Options
    nealk1nealk1 Member Posts: 2
    That is why I filed the Lawsuit. Please click the link in my post then contact the attorney and add your name. It won't cost you anything and it's the only chance you''ll have at getting anything.
  • Options
    qtgritsqtgrits Member Posts: 2
    I didn't see a link. Could you please post it again? THANKS!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry - we do not permit organizing legal action within the forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    edited December 2011
    A fact-of-life: The water-based paints used by ALL car manufacturers these days chip very easily. The paint isn't as durable as the older paints. It mattters little who made the car--they will all get chips. Don't blame Lexus, as it's not their fault. Blame our Federal Government--they mandated the use of water-based auto paint.

Washing: If you use automatic car washes--STOP, unless they are the "touchless" type. The brushes kill your finish. All the grit from previous cars going through is rubbed on your paint. Wash your car by hand at home, starting at the top & working down, with frequent rinsing.

Clay bars & waxing: If your paint has dulled, a shiny finish can be restored by using a "clay bar", followed by a good quality wax. Forget liquid waxes & carnuba wax. Use a good brand of synthetic paste wax, like "Ice" for the most durable finish. Wax at least every six months. Clay bar about once a year.

Repainting: If done with water-based paint, you've not fixed a thing--the chips will return. If you can find a body shop the will break the law & use a good solvent-based lacquer or enamel, your paint may look better longer. Maybe. Get ready to pay a fortune though--many thousands of dollars.
  • Options
    mella1mella1 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I have a 2008 ES 350 Midnight blue, I purchased the car directly from dealer brand new, As others have stated I too have been noticing scratches on my car since I purchased the vehicle. I make an effort to always park my car at a distance away from other cars. At first, I too thought someone was keying my car!! I try to at least have my car fully reconditioned and waxed once a year, however they continue to pop up:( I had to replace my tires within 2 years of purchase, and also brakes and rotors. It's not like I dont take care of my car, I take the car to the dealer consistently for oil changes, in additon to random certification check ups to ensure the car is upto par. !!!
  • Options
    mella1mella1 Member Posts: 2
    In any case was interested about the class action LS going on, Please contact me!!
  • Options
    atlasmaxxatlasmaxx Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a midnight blue Lexus with the same problems. I am wondering about the class action lawsuit. Is it too late to be added?
  • Options
    billeveebillevee Member Posts: 15
    Enough is enough Paint problems all over the car (2008
    Black Obsidian with a WHITE UNDERCOAT go figure !!!!
    At 50,000 miles car looked 10 years old
    Engine was knocking ( dealer said it was fuel
    Injection which is BS) On top of this right headlight
    had to be replaced at a cool $500
    Got $21,000 on a trade in from Carsense and
    Got a 2009 BMW 528i with beautiful paint job
    And only 23,000 miles Walk out price with warranty
    was $9,000. NEVER WILL BUY LEXUS AGAIN
  • Options
    jillh2008esjillh2008es Member Posts: 1
    My car is obsidian black - in addition to chipping if someone touches the car their fingerprint seems to leach the paint and leaves a "print" where the car was touched. The "fingerprint" is very noticeable. It dulls the paint in that spot. Most prominent in the trunk area where you would put your hand on the truck to close it and on the doors. Very bizarre - also happening on our 10 yr old silver highlander but after ten years we expected see some paint deterioration. My local dealer refuses to accept any responsibility. Anyone else having this issue or know of a resolution.
  • Options
    goldscjgoldscj Member Posts: 1
    Did I mention my crappy paint? OK, so I now have this 2013 ES350 that has bad black paint and they tell me the district mgr will have to review. One month later they make an appt. and sit for an hour only to have the regular service person tell me there is nothing wrong with the paint and they will give me a 50% discount for their polishing service.
    Looks like Lexus needs to man-up and take care of there crappy paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    zoe8910zoe8910 Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed on my 2008 ES350 Lexus, which is a Burgundy that the top of the roof is peeling. Should I take it back to the dealer, repaint the roof, repaint the entire car, or just get another car???? I don't know what to do. Everything else is great and my car only has 20,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited April 2017
    With those low miles, I would consider repainting the roof, if the color can be matched to the rest of the car. Repainting the entire car would be pretty expensive. You'd best examine the rest of the car carefully before you do anything because all of the vertical surfaces are subject to this kind of clear-coat disintegration.

Do you keep the car under a cover outdoors sometimes?