Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying a Used C-Class

WeazellWeazell Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
So, I'm looking to find a gently used C-Class sedan in the 2001 - 2007 model years. (I understand the design changed in 08 and that makes them a bit pricier.) Here's my wish list / questions:

1. If the 01-07 models have roughly the same exterior design, were there any improvements through those years that make any later models more desirable?

2. I have a Scion tc that I'll be looking to trade in (Blue Book trade-in is around $10,000) and hope to keep payments under $300 per month. I think that'll mean a sales price of $25,000 or lower. Any things related to that to keep in mind?

3. I don't need all the bells and whistles a Mercedes can provide but beyond the standard things like A/C, AT and stuff, I'd probably like as many of the following as I could snag:

* Sunroof
* Trip computer (but don't need GPS)
* Bluetooth connection to take calls through the car speakers.
* Premium stereo (lots of thump)
* Satellite radion
* iPod compatible (through a jack, at least, so I don't have to use one of those dang FM transmitter deals any longer)

4. And with gas prices being what they are, I want to avoid models that might not get the usual 20-25 MPG that most C-Class sedans seem to get. Are they all pretty much the same, mileage wise?

5. And what else should I be considering?

Thanks for your help!

Peter

Comments

• Options
    afifafif Member Posts: 10
    Some advice for you after having bought 3 mercedes:

-Do not buy the earlier year mercedes-the reliability of the more recent years seems to have improved per Consumer Reports
    -Consider finding a new 2007 C230 if you absolutely must have a mercedes. There are many dealers who have them sitting in the back lots. I have to admit that I have driven the C230 and I am not impressed with the performance.
    -My 2002 C320 recently needed a new transmission. It was covered under an extended warranty and had broken down at 99000 miles-I got lucky this time, but my car has been plagued with problems.
    -Good luck....but be careful...you might find the new Honda Coupe fully loaded to be a better car at a better price
  • Options
    pfweintraubpfweintraub Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 C320 wagon I bought on E-bay for $13600. It had 74000 miles on it when I bought it about a year and a half ago and now has just crossed 90K. I love the car, routinely get 21-22 city and 26 -27 highway. It was not a pampered car, but well maintained and I drive it like a normal car and not a baby. Maintenance has not been a problem. I put Michelin 90k miles hydroedge tires on it and the handling is impressive, acceleration is mind blowing for a little engine and we love the solidity and handling. Only problem I have is that they 320 wagon was not imported after 2003 so I would have to go up to an E body or down to a 240 if I want a new one.

PW
This discussion has been closed.