Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma MPG Questions

rick1999rick1999 Member Posts: 6
Hello all, I'm new here and would like to ask a question. I just picked up an 01 sonoma ext cab, 2.2L auto tans. Truck has 84,000 miles and seems to run good, however I'm only getting 18.4 mpg about 50/50 highway and city. This is the first tank of gas I've ran through it so it may get a little better as my normal driving is more around 75%highway. Is this normal mileage? This truck is replacing a 2000 Nissan Frontier King Cab which got 24.5 mpg consistently. The Nissan did have a 5 speed manual but I wouldn't think an auto. would be this bad. My '97 Blazer 4x4 4 door 4.3 V6 got as good as this thing does. Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    My 2.2 auto std cab does not do good 65 MPH and over, but you also have the extra weight of ex cab. In my std cab it is under powered.
    My truck gets limited use, never over 55 MPH and 29 MPG highway.
  • rick1999rick1999 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. Under powered is an understatement. This thing is slow, but I was willing to sacrafice speed for economy but now I wish I would have gotten a V6 since I know it would have done at least 20 mpg highway with much more performance.
  • sonomafansonomafan Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys- cool stuff! Been kinda eyeballing a 2.2 Sonoma myself lately. I'm well aware that power is not to strong point with these and that's OK as I take what amounts to a frontage roadfor my longest travels, like into town or see my folks- so 50MPH is about the norm.Couple things and wanted to ask those in the know; heard sme cases about head gaskets blowing, I always thought it was because folks were humpin'em too hard too keep up with sports cars on the expressway. I'll come clean with you all, I currently drive a 2001 Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 pushing 95K really tough as there's nothing wrong with the truck and gas mileage took a leap up when I cleaned the air filter(AIR HOG).
    Also- I'm under the impression that the 2.2 has much of the same wonderful architecture of the LSx engines, or am I wrong? One more Q- did 2003 Sonoma's CD players have MP3 capability? Should I forget the whole thing since I've been spoiled with V-8 power, gotta say I live 2.1 miles from work and the bank and grocery and 10.7miles from my folks, that's where I get all my wood for the wood stove, so much for the utility, eh? Thing is when I poke around on ebay I can't find enything with under 100k on it, how far can these engined be punched out? I know this has been long....................
    You will definately be dissapointed with the power of the 2.2 If I did as little driving as you I would keep the truck you have. I drive a minimum of 50 miles each day, so the V8 truck would kill me. I just finished my second tank of gas and this time the mileage was 21.8 mpg. Better than before but not really any better than a V6 and the V6 would feel more like your truck does now as far as acceleration. I haven't had mine long enough to answer your other questions but I did get a stack of reciepts with the truck and it doesn't look like anything has ever broken on the truck. Mine has an aftermarket stereo so I don't know about the MP3 either. E-bay was no good for me either. I found mine on craigslist.com. 84,000 miles and got it for $4,000. Found some V6's on there also one was 64,000 miles and the guy wanted $6,000. (That's the one I wish I would have gotten)
    Cheers
    Thanks for the insight, Rick. Wow- about 22MPG with the 2.2, honestly, with my HP Tuner tweak- that's what I'm getting!(sorry, don't mean to rub yer nose in it) Otherwise I'm pretty much just toyin' with the idea, and yes- many have commented how they wished they got the 4.3. But I don't care for that V6 based on V8 architecture. Honestly, can't GM make a decent 4 banger...........
  • mse4x4mse4x4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys the 2.2 in the lil trucks was really meant to be a delivery truck for like parts house(store) and for grandad you know. I bought my 03 sonoma 4.3 new and it gets descent milage I guess with 22.5 hi-way but I also use 5w30 mobil1 full syn oil and I know this really helps with milage. But what ticks me off is that my buddy bought a 07 tahoe for his wife and it gets 24 hi-way, my 4.3 gets 16 in-town and his 5.3 gets 16 in-town. Now go figure!!!!
    I was bankin' that 4.11 gears would make a noticeable difference...........
  • plabyplaplabypla Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 s10 ext. cab with 4 cyl. motor and 51,000 miles on original engine. When I purchased this vehicle 3 yrs ago, it had 37k miles and I got 18 mpg in town, 24 on the highway, and 21 overall. It started getting less and less mpg to the point that I'm now getting 5-6 mpg less than the above figures. I have 4 new tires, had the injectors cleaned, replaced the rear oxygen sensor, transmission (at) flushed, power steering flushed, and replaced the fuel filter.Do any of you have any idea of what may be going on...am considering trading it for a small sedan if present mpg situation continues. What do you guys suggest I do? Thanks for any response!!
    I have basically the same truck with 85,000 miles and I was getting similar mpg to yours but I have recently seen my milage decrease also. I believe my problem is the fact that here in FL our idiotic state legislature has declared that all gas be dilluted with 10% ethanol, and since ethanol gets much worse mileage than gas the numbers work out to be about right. If you have been running normal gas in the past and you start running gas with ethanol in it you will deffinately get worse mileage.
  • ransom255ransom255 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 02 sonoma crew cab 4 wheel drive w/ 4.3 v6 with auto trans and get about 18 around town and 23 on the hwy. When you kick this baby it will take you for a spin
    and a friend of mine has the same truck except it is not extended cab and is 2 wheel drive and he says he gets 26 on his.
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    I had a new '00 S-10 2.2 reg cab and drove to work 10 miles into town. Got 19-20.5 combined. I traded it with 5700 miles on it for a Silverado in '01. Gas was still in the $1.50 range and I got 16 mpg on same drive to work in the Silverado. I lost 3 mpg, one for being a 4x4, one for being ext cab, and one for going to V8.

Then I bought a '99 Sonoma ext cab with 88k miles on it last year. Got it in S. Fl. and drove it to Indiana, a 1200 mile trip. It got 26.5 mpg with the 4.3 V6. In combined driving it is currently getting 24 mpg on trip to work and running errands. If I do more in town driving, I don't see a decrease. It does drop 1 mpg in winter, maybe due to different gas. I use it a lot because it is the best mileage vehicle I have out of 5 vehicles. It now has about 107,000 miles so I put a new air filter in it. If I saw a 5-6 mpg drop, I'd be looking for lost 4th gear or siezed brake caliper. I had both of these happen to my Buick and they both cost me about 4 mpg.

The Sonoma has suprising power, 180 HP for maybe 4200 lbs with me in it.
    The Silverado is 285 HP at about 5000 lbs with a full 25 gallon tank and me.
    The Sonoma gets 50% more mileage than the Silverado but has 4-5 times as many miles on it.

All 3 are automatics
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    I'd say it's about right. I got 1-2 more than you and mine was brand new and no ext cab. The automatic does take away a lot. I also think they have 3.72 or 4.11 axle ratios. The manual in the Nissan really adds. I'd say the Nissan would lose 3 mpg with an automatic. see my prev post.
  • sanoma4x4sanoma4x4 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4X4 and I only get 16.8 to 17.2 in the city and about 22 highway with the V6. I don’t like to go on the express way, when I get to 60mph I get the 0300 random miss fire. No one has been able to tell me why. The truck runs great but I have to keep resetting the error code. Any suggestions on the random misfire would be great. I have replaced plugs, wire, rotor, cap, distributor, fuel filter, (pump is good), pvc had it tested at two shops and still have the problem.
  • alex_foutalex_fout Member Posts: 1
    i got a 2000 s10 xtreme, auto,2.2, ext cab, 124k milage....and it gets horrible milage about 20 highway. ive changed the fuel filter, plugs, got a k&n air filter 4 new tires and it still sucks on milage and its slow too
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I have a 2000 S10 with the 2.2, automatic (62K miles), and a truck cap. Around town I get 20mpg and on the highway 24-25 mpg. Very slow vehicle but, I'm not in a hurry anyway. I had a 2000 extended cab with over 90K miles a few years ago (automatic and truck cap). I would get 22-24 mpg on the highway and approx. 17 mpg around town. Traded it in for a 2006 Dodge Caravan.
  • 00s1000s10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 S10 with the 2.2L and 5spd. I drive about 30 miles a day(70% city 30% hwy) and I average 26-27mpg. When I only drive on the highway I get 31+ mpg.
  • asifkaneasifkane Member Posts: 1
    I have an S10 and the mileage has been getting pretty poor. I did find when I replaced rear brakes, the caliper guide pins were rusted TIGHT. Once I got them freed up and the pads changed my mileage went up a couple mpg. I do want to note a caution, I had to heat with a torch to get them loose and the pin is in a blind hole and shortly after heating, when I started to turn with a wrench, BANG, the pin flew out and shot me in the chest and took my breath away. The lube inside must have expanded a bunch. In looking how these are rear guide pins are designed, I can see many vehicles out there, particularly in midwest, where these pins are stuck and causing brake drag. They have rubber boots on them also be sure they are good when you put back together. Overall GREAT TRUCK though, but I need to disarm it.
  • 1951don1951don Member Posts: 6
    Rick, I just got a 98 Sonoma with 183,000 miles, vortec 2.2, auto trans, ext cab. I traded a 2003 Nissan Frontier Ext Cab, 2.4, auto trans and like you I got better gas mileage with the Nissan at 237,000 than I do with the GMC. I have new plugs, K&N air filter, injectors cleaned, the works, so what gives out there!!! any ideas
    I have not found anything to help the gas mileage with this thing, new tires, brakes, plugs and wires, filters, synthetic oil, nothing helps and now that we have 10% ethanol in our gas the mileage is even worse, I think the engine is just underpowered in this truck and that causes you to have to rev the engine higher to move the truck.

I've given up and have just accepted that this thing is just a gas hog.

Wish I could give you more help :mad: :lemon:
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    As rick said, too small an engine. I have std cab 2.2 auto and best mileage is a 55 mph 29 mpg, at 70 mph 24 mpg.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.