Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My own Maintenance on my Dodge Journey

houndog101houndog101 Member Posts: 10
I will be doing my own maint. and I understand I just need to save receits from oil/filter etc. to keep my warranty in tact.. Is that true ?

Also is 3,000 miles too soon for syn. oil ? Thanks, Ted

Comments

• jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Check your owner's manual about doing your own maintenance. I believe you're correct about saving the receipts. As for synthetic oil, I switched at 10,000 miles for my 2006 Dodge Caravan. Although you can extend oil change intervals with synthetic oil, my owner's manual states a maximum mileage and time interval for oil chnages. If I exceed these intervals then the warranty could be invalid. I believe it's 6 months or 6,000 miles. I'll have to check once again. Check out your owner's manual it may have similar wording. Good luck.
  • ggk86ggk86 Member Posts: 2
    From what I understand is you just have to do an inspection at the dealership every 3 or 5 ( I think 5) years. But of course mine is in the shop today - brake light stays on :sick: . So I can't verify that.
  • houndog101houndog101 Member Posts: 10
    When you pick your car up, can you ask the dealer ? Thanks, Ted :)
  • 09_journey09_journey Member Posts: 13
    Hey guys just got a call from the dealership that I need new brakes and ROTORS! on my 2009 SXT. It only has 19K on it? I mean I understand the whole front carrying most of the weight blah blah but the rotors too? the mechanic informed me that city driving should yield 15-20K and highway 30K does this sound right? Should I fight them on the rotor thing when I pick it up? I somewhat understand the brakes but the rotors throw me.
    Just fyi for anyone interested.. I just put front pad on the wife's 08 and it was the easiest i've ever delt with,, ! bolt and the caliper swings out of the way, do your thing, put new pads on and button it up.. each side took 15 mins max.. Unless you drive it with the pads metal grinding for a bit, you don't need new rotors... I did'nt.. :)
  • journeyman09journeyman09 Member Posts: 1
    My dealership has informed me that the brake pads and rotors on my 2009 Journey R/T AWD need to be replaced after 13,500 miles... UNBELIEVABLE!!!! :mad: The squealing/grinding noise started on Friday, and by the time I got it into the dealership a few days later, the rotors were damaged. What's the deal??? I have only had this car for 8-9 months, and I'm shocked that the brakes went so quickly -- I have never had a car where the brakes lasted less than a year!!! I suppose if I had taken my car in for routine service sooner then perhaps I would have been informed that my brake pads were getting low, but I never imagined that anything on my new car could go south that fast... I just can't believe that I'm going to have to replace the pads every 8-10 months with this car!
  • 09_journey09_journey Member Posts: 13
    I had the same problem, I had no squeaking at all, you know the tell tale sign that you are heading to rotor damage. So I was shocked when I went in for an oil change, had the tires rotated and found this out. I was also at very low miles. I was told by the mechanic that they make the brake pads so hard now that they wear the rotors in a wide deep path so that you cannot even turn the rotors. I dont get any of that at least on every other car you can change the pads a few dozen times without having to do the rotors.
    hard, I don't think so..... Hard won't wear out in 13K miles. Wifes caravan the same way, I got it before the steel damaged the rotors, the pads were gone.. In contrast I just changed the pads on my Ford F150 at 54k miles and they still had another 5-7k miles left on them,, Thats hard pads..;.
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    You don't have to go to the dealer for a replacement rear wiper blade on the Dodge Journey. The rear wiper blade can be replaced and its actually quite simple. It's a special rear wiper blade though. The "Trico Exact Fit Rear Integral Blade" snaps right onto the special rear arm and looks like the factory original. You can find it online. Much cheaper than the dealer alternative and easier/less tedious than messing around with rubber blade refills. Comes with removal and replacement instructions too. Hope this helps.
    Hmmmm, did'nt know that,, thanks Jeff... :)
  • prendyprendy Member Posts: 18
    Hi!
    Had to replace my brake pads and rotors after 4,000 miles, mechanic said the rotors are so thin,that when you take it to a carwash after the pads are very hot ,the cool water will warp them,The set he replaced them with,have about 17000 miles on them,and so far no problem,maybe this is a problem from the factory

FRED
  • prendyprendy Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2010
    How hard was it,and is there a button or latch that helps release this rear wiper blade like the front?

FRED
  • mm2icbmmm2icbm Member Posts: 1
    Our 09 SXT just turned over 18k and like most Journey owners are finding out, our front pads & rotors needed replacing. This is totally unacceptable and from what I've found on the net, a class action lawsuit was initiated last month in the states of California & New Jersey. So who knows, maybe we will be reimbursed down the road for this expense.

The service manager also said the oil was a quart & a half low. Since I do my own oil changes, I know exactly how much oil I put into the engine. I also sweep the garage every weekend & there isn't a drop of oil on the floor. I asked the SM, "Since there seems to be no oil leak, where the hell is 1-1/2 quarts of oil going?"

Something to keep an eye on, eh! :lemon:
  • morpar1dudemorpar1dude Member Posts: 10
    are the k&n or fram tough guard oil filters worth the extra money?or should i stick with basics filters?
  • danilhdanilh Member Posts: 1
    I seem to be having a problem removing the rear brake caliper on my 2009 Journey(AWD). I removed the top and bottom caliper bolts (18mm) and It will not just lift off. Do the 2 smaller guide bolts need to be removed or ? How can I loosen the caliper pad to be able to lift it off the rotor? Thanks