Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Why are all the new SUV all starting to look the same?
  • calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    Does Toyota have a credit card that can be used to earn "points" that go towards cash off the purchase of a new Toyota? I was thinking something similar to the GM card or the Ford credit card.

Thanks in advance.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Looks a lot like the older rounded style (moon mobile) landcruiser. It has a little montero sport in it too.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try makeashorterlink.com for those long links.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Just wanted to correct a misunderstanding with about the drive systems.

- 1998: part-time 4WD
    1999 - 2000: "Limited" models available with option of full-time AWD (center diff open), part-time 4WD (locked center diff) and 2WD, locking rear axle diff also available
    2001 - 2002 all 4Runners have AWD/4WD/2WD option and electronic system to prevent skidding, wheel spin, etc.

In my mind, the current system in the 4Runner is close to state of the art.

Sean
  • seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Toyota NA (or who work for same). Would you be willing/able to inquire if the 2003 runner will have:

1. Increased headroom, if so, by how much
    2. A power rear window that can be lowered like the current version

I work in the motorcycle industry so if I can return the favor, please let me know. I'm very close to purchasing a 1999 - 2002 and this info. would be very helpful to me in making the decision to wait/buy now.

Thanks,

Sean
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    lmacmil wrote, "Does the V6 have a timing belt that needs to be changed at 60K miles? If so, how expensive a job is it?"

It's about $250 job. The 97 says the belt should be changed at 60k, the 98 says 90k. The belts are the same, so why not use the 90k interval? I have a 97 and just changed the belt at 85k. I would have gone to 90k, but I was taking the family on vacation and had the some routine maintenance done a little early.

FWIW, my 97 w/ 87k runs better now that when new. No squeaks, rattles, etc. I'm very happy.

Good luck,

Jack
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I've seen a promotional video for the 2003 model, and it doesn't look anything like the Prado. The side and grill of the 2003 look almost like the 2002 model. The rest of the front has hints of the Sequoia, particulaly around the headlights. The rear tail lights are taller, and (if I remember) the tailgate reminded me of the Chevy Blazer. The roof rack was more integrated with the body (like the Sienna's). The interior was improved, with an instrument cluster somewhat resembling the Matrix, with the multi-circle cluster. Doors, seats and dash were all sportier than the current model.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    For the latest inside scoop check out this forum:

http://forums.caranddriver.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000923

The Prado pics listed above by p_g_00 are of the current Prado, which is based on the current 4Runner chassis, not the re-design on the new platform shared by the 4Runner and GX 470.

Check out the spy shots on the bottom of the page here for the closest thing to what the new 4Runner will look like: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tbcreative67/vwp?.dir=/Automotive&.dnm=2003_4RunnerPrado.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

jafo2001, I've heard Toyota is planning on actually lowering the price on the 2003 4Runner! They want to get it back in line with what it was originally. Of course they'll still have the top model Limited that will be expensive, but from what I understand they need to make the other models more affordable to attract buyers back, due to the SUV-saturated market.

Good news for all! -TB
    rsholland, thanks for the suggestion on spell-check! It worked.

-TB
    But if you use makeashorterlink.com, you won't skew our margins :-)

Steve
    Host
    rward99, where did you see that video?! What other features can you tell us about? How does the rear gate work and is there a power window in it still? Does it have the same new suspension as the GX 470, that raises for off-roading and lowers for getting in and out? Please share!!

Thanks,

TB
    Sorry, Steve. I'm on a large screen and didn't know it screwed that up. I'll do that in the future.

Thanks,
    TB
    Well, I'm on a 19" inch one, but I read at the "Largest" font size at 960x720. I wouldn't be able to easily read your "non-skewed" post at the "Medium" setting ;-)

No biggie - the margins revert to normal once you hit the next screen of posts.

Steve
    Host
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The video rward talked about is not a publicly available piece. Rward works for Toyota and was shown a good amount of advance stuff. That video will probably be in the dealers a couple of weeks before the new one goes on sale.
  • jafo2001jafo2001 Member Posts: 98
    Hmmm I'll believe it when I see it.
    The 03 is supposedly bigger and better in every way. Even if Toyota has been enjoying huge profits, it's still hard to believe they would offer that much more for that much less.
  • trmac47trmac47 Member Posts: 1
    I find the seats uncomfortable (too low and not long enough). Are there any custom seats available or upholstry options?
    trmac47, I agree with you about the current 4Runner, but just wait until this fall for the all-new '03 4Runner! I've heard they're some of the best in the industry.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    will not have a 3rd row?
    From what I have gathered, the new 4Runner will have a 3rd row seat option. It may come standard on the Limited, and, hopefully, as an option package on the other models. Since this platform is shared with the Lexus GX 470, which definitely has the 3rd row seats, I don't see why the 4Runner wouldn't.

Personally, I hate the side-dropping seats they're using, like the ones in the Landcruiser. I would prefer they come up with something better, like the ones in the Durango or new Honda Pilot. Those fold flat into the floor. However, if that would have interfered with the new ride height adjustable suspension, or the excellent ground clearance, then I'll live with the way it is. I hope you can at least remove them all together, because I'd like to have the 3rd row seats, but don't like the space they take up or the back window obstruction when folded up.

I guess we'll have to wait until more information becomes available to know for sure. -TB
    Here is my current understanding of this issue. Originally, there were plans to have a 3rd row of seats, but that has changed. Rward99 and my district manager are in agreement that the 2003 will not come with an available 3rd row seat. I think this is a huge mistake and I wouldn't be surprised if they added it in future models.
    How many people are really toting around 7 people. Might as well have a van.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    it's a huge mistake for me/them. i want to buy Toyota - i think theymake the best vehicles for the money -- but i need an SUV with 7 seats available -- even thou their usage would be infrequent. i have held off on buying something else, hoping to get the 4runner. Even with all of the various SUVs out there i consider my choices to be:

- ML series - i have one now -- reliability on small stuff is not very good.
    - Acura MDX - feels like they entered data into a CAD machine and out popped this thing. I know it is well engineered but it doesn't have the durability of a Toyota.
    - HOnda Pilot -- missing a sunroof and ugly as h*** from what i've seen -- otherwise the utility is very good
    - Toy Landcruiser -- my 2 big problems are the size (bigger than i need and i don't want to fuel an 8 cylinder all day) and they are so pricey -- tho probably worth it.

i know the volvo machine is coming along but i won't go there without free maintenance. so i am left with either an MDX or the TLC, from what i can tell. ((i don't do American cars -- lousy reliability))

oh well...
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    Could not go through all the posts, so I'll ask again. Will it be independent?

If they can provide 3rd row seating, IRS and AWD, that would be interesting.
    How about the Sequoia. Seating for 8 (7 comfortably), much less money than a Cruiser and 17 MPG.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the new Lexus GX470 has a solid rear axle, and the 4Runner is its kissing cousin.

Bob
    On a serious tow vehicle, IRS would be a mistake. Yes, it rides better, but can't handle a load.
    It could be managed with the right progressive rate coil springs & shocks.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    Thanks to all of the informative information here on this board, I almost purchased a new 2002 4Runner Limited on Tuesday evening. I saw the one I wanted on the lot. The choice was between 3 colors, the Blue with the silver trim, the all Pearl (looks so expensive) and the Metallic Silver (very sharp). I drove the 4runners around the area and I decided on the Pearl, but then looked at it and saw that it was just missing something for me, it was too bright. I then decided to get the Blue and silver, but the blue was too dark. Now, I want a silver but it wasn't on the lot. I walked into the show room floor to head to the office of the salesman because I wanted to talk figures. After doing this, the time was just about right to make my decision, but at the last moment, I decided to wait. I don't know why. This truck is nice, but the price is not too nice. Even the though the sticker price on it was $38,500, they had it reduced to $34,000. Maybe that's a good deal but, that's still alot of money. It's a hard decision. I just hope I have time to get that Silver one before the inventories start to go down with the anticipation of the 2003's coming shortly. I really drove the 4Runner hard on the highway to see how much power it had. It was quite impressive. It feels like it has enough power behind it especially since I won't be towing heavy loads or carrying lots of people at one time. From what I hear, the new runner will look completely different, maybe a bit like the current Montero. If so, then I like the current model the best. What would any of you do if you were in my exact situation. If there is any time that I need help from you all, the time is now, time is of the essence, the longer I wait, the less likely I'll be able to get exactly what I want, so please, TALK TO ME!
    JeffJeff, if I were you I'd wait for the '03. It's not going to look like the Montero. Whoever said that probably had the redesign confused with the Landcruiser Prado, which shares the current 4Runner platform, and in some pictures looks kind of like a Montero Sport, or an older Montero. Please scroll up to my posting #1663 if you want to see some spy shots of the new 4Runner. I think it's going to be really sharp. If you like how the new Lexus GX 470 looks, then you'll probably like the re-designed 4runner. There are so many things that are going to be better about the '03, such as new suspension with height adjustment and dampening, much better V6, and the new V8! Not to mention Toyota is supposed to offer more package deals to bring the cost down, making the price drop in order to compete better with Nissan's Xterra.

Everyone has their own impression about power, and mine is that while they've made significant changes to the current 4Runner's transmission so it shifts better and uses the power more efficiently, it's still a dog by today's standards. You may perfectly happy with it and that's great, but you should maybe test drive some other SUVs before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, to give you and idea of what you may be missing when the new 4Runner comes out. My '98 Jimmy 4x4 has more guts than the 2002 4Runner, but you may want to drive a Pathfinder with it's 240 hp, or the Trailblazer with its awesome 270 horses. But I warn you, once you do, it'll be hard to go back. ;o)

Anyway, I hope that helps, and I don't mean to knock your love for the current 4Runner, it's still a great truck. I certainly understand if it comes down to style, because I don't really like some of the changes manufacturers make to great looking vehicles. When Toyota introduced the Sport package to the 4Runner, I was ready to over-look it's short-comings, add a supercharger and trade the moment I saw one, until I found out about the redesign coming this fall.

I don't know if you saw this link, but check out the article about the GX 470 that shares the platform on http://www.suv.com, and if that doesn't get your juices flowing, then definitely buy a 2002 now. -TB

Zorglub, check out the link in my above post at SUV.com for details on the GX 470 suspension, which will be shared with the 4Runner. The only thing unclear is whether the height adjustable air suspension will be an option across the board, or only on the Limited. Check it out; it sounds awesome! -TB
  • calucykcalucyk Member Posts: 35
    Does Toyota have a credit card that can be used to earn "points" that go towards cash off the purchase of a new Toyota? I was thinking something similar to the GM card or the Ford credit card.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    "jeffjeff", actually buying a 2002 may not be a bad idea, if you really like the model. If I was considering it I would expect a great deal, 34,000 for a 38,500 4Runner is a good deal not a great deal. I would do a little more searching. Consumer Reports in September 2001 said they got a 4Runner for about 20% off, and my 2001 in March of 2001 I figured it was 20% off, it took me 6 months to find it. Yes I know you don't have 6 months and 20% is way below invoice. I don't know what invoice is, but it isn't the price the dealer pays for the vehicle, that's for sure. My advice is to shop around and offer less, the worst the can say is no. I know you may not get that much off but it may say you a few thousand.

Here is a site that has a one price only and it seems to be better than your deal, of course different parts of the country sell for different prices. Still my advice is that your in the drivers seat, shop around.

http://www.jimbarkleytoyota.com/pricing/new_cars/detail.asp?stock_no=33878

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << On a serious tow vehicle, IRS would be a mistake. >>

I disagree. Both the new '03 IRS Expedition and the '02 IRS Explorer have better towing than previous solid axle versions. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, both lead (or are at the top) of their respective classes in towing.

Bob
    Sorry for not answering before, but the answer is no.
    And how have those IRS Fords been holding up after extensive towing? Sorry, but the "the other guys do it" argument doesn't change physics. There are three things that should be disqualifiers for serious tow vehicles. Those are unibody construction, front wheel drive and IRS. Yes, you can tow with all three of those conditions, but you can never expect it to do as well or last as long as a truck frame, rear wheel drive and a solid rear end.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I own a 1999 SR5 with about 96,000. I have had 3 sets of tires since new, and I was just wondering if anyone has ever had wheel balancing problems when you have purchased new tires to replace the OEM?? Seems that it takes 3 to 4 times on a wheel balancer to get the highway vibration out?? I had trouble with Les Schwab brand tires and finally went back to the OEM Goodyear Wranglers (P26570R16).
  • jparentejparente Member Posts: 9
    Well I'm on my 2nd 4Runner (a 2002) and with 3,400 miles on the odometer the front brakes are pulsating & grabbing when I stop...just like on my 2000 4Runner. Before I had to have the rotors replaced but that was at 18K miles. Anyone else having issues with their brakes? I'm a bit frustrated about this. I did go ahead and get electric brakes put on my boat trailer to help but I haven't even towed with this vehicle yet. RATS!

On the new 2003 4Runner, I seriously weighed waiting for this but when I returned my 2000 I needed a vehicle right away. There are some short comings to the current model but I see so many older early to mid 90's 4Runners on the road that you know they will last. Also, I'm sure 2003 pricing will be a big factor so there may be an incentive in waiting for initial demand to drop. Where I live the dealers don't budge much and I went out of state to get mine because of the deal ($400 over invoice). If you like the 2002 make it your goal to get the best possible deal and of course, enjoy either vehicle you choose. I'll probably be salivating when the 2003 hits the streets too. :o)
  • neb5neb5 Member Posts: 5
    jeffjeff- I too am in the market for a 4Runner, however my mind is set to wait for the '03 because of the promises of the new design. My thought for you is to do as much research possible before you commit your money. It sounds to me that that deal of yours seems rather steep but of course you may be going for the whole shi bang! Anyway since you are apparently a web surfer try checking out sites like carbuyingtips.com who give expert advice on how to do the best shopping from the comfort of your home, office without the hassle of salesman who may not have your best interest of saving money in mind. Lots of wonderful information and I hope this helps.
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    Thanks guys. However, I'm not looking to buy an SUV for towing. It's mostly to take the family back and forth to Tahoe in style...

With that in mind, the IRS is a must have in my book (99% of road, 1% max of light offroad) for the better ride.

It's okay, I was just hoping for a possible alternative to the Honda Pilot.
    Zorglub, I agree with your thoughts about IRS, in theory, but not in real world driving. I have driven just about every SUV out there, and while IRS is very nice, there are some live axle suspensions that have been tuned well enough that they actually ride better. Such is the case, in my opinion as well as that of several car magazines like Motor Trend, that the new suspension in the Envoy is more compliant and smooth than the new Explorer, although they preferred less body roll. Also much-praised is the Tahoe/Yukon for it's car-like ride. Now, my wife is very picky about having a smooth ride, I like a sporty feel without much body roll, and I want to have something that does well off-road, so I keep all that in mind when I'm testing SUVs.
    Anyway, it all comes down to test-driving and what you feel is the best for your needs, but from what I gather about the new 4Runner's suspension, based on the specs for the GX 470, I'd wait to drive one before I made my final decision. Other than the GX and spy shots, I haven't even seen one yet, and I'm 90% sold on it. -TB
    Have you checked out the ML320 or MDX? They both have independant suspension all the way around.
    Mrwhipple asks a good question. Both vehicles, although expensive, have industry-leading independent suspensions. The MDX is particularly nice. I don't know if either are an equal consideration, since they're both in the luxury level, while the Pilot is priced more like a Highlander. But if you want to know how the Pilot rides, the MDX platform is what it's based on.
    I'm curious as to what you're looking for in an SUV. The Honda Pilot sounds perfect for you, but what's your hesitation? Is it styling? If so, then why not wait until the new 4Runner comes out, and see how it looks and rides? Are you in a hurry to get a new SUV? What all have you considered/ruled out?
    I've spent a lot of time obsessing over all the SUVs on the market, and would like to help, if I can. -TB
  • cfeldmancfeldman Member Posts: 14
    Currently own a 2002 Forester. Good car but too small. Toyota dealer offered me 18k for the Forester. Will sell a 2002 4 Runner with sport package, sun roof, hood deflector, roof rack, rear heater to me for $29,000.00.
    Questions: Looking for comfortable ride, drive 25-30k miles a year. Other option is to buy the Subaru Outback Wagon(bigger than the Forester)the Subaru comes in at around 28k. Although it has All wheel Drive, it SEEMS that I would be getting more for my money with the 4 runner. The new 2003 4 runners I would guess would be more expensive and 29k is the max I can spend.
    Test drove the 4 runner and like the look and feel. 183 horse seems a bit light for a truck this heavy, but it felt fine when I drove it.
    So, anyone have any advice? I have 2 big dogs, carry stuff on the weekend(wood, house stuff etc.)
    Mainly drive highway for work. Thanks for your help.
    CF
    If you don't need anything too large, the Freelander might be up your alley. I'ts also 4-wheel independant suspension, all-wheel drive and pretty good on mileage too. It's in the same price-range as the Pilot.
    There is also the VW Touareg which I think is coming out this Fall. That also has 4 wheel independant suspension. Not sure what the price range is on it though. V6 & V8 option engines are to be realeased for it.
    I'd wait for the new 4Runner. The pricing is supposed to stay the same, and even drop with some packages. Toyota is trying to make it more competitive with the Xterra. The Freelander is nice, but an over-priced Escape, and may be a bit too small, if you're looking for something bigger than your Forester.
  • cfeldmancfeldman Member Posts: 14
    Great feedback all.
    I have owned a Grand Cherokee, 2 explorers, Blazer, Subaru Outback, and now the Forester.
    Driving the Forester although fun does not give me the sitting up high, rough " manly feel" as crazy as that sounds. I like the feel of more Torque if you will,sitting up high,more cargo room, more room in the back for passengers.
    My dilema is forfeting the all wheel drive safety that the Forester offers.
    Do you think that a 2002 SR5 with sport package, sun roof, rear heater, roof rack,and hood deflector is a good deal:
    Selling the 4 runner to me for $29,000.00 giving me $18k for my Forester(paying tax on 29k-18k= $11,000 @7.75% = $852 in tax. plus an additional $1300 Toyota discount. Paying off $16,660 for the loan on the Forester, getting back $700.00 for the balance of my extended warranty that I bought with the Subaru. Total cost for the 4 Runner comes to around 25K when all is said and done.
    The 4 Runner 03 sounds like it will be great, when are they due out?? Maybe I should wait, sell my Forester privately (I already have 25k miles on it in 10 months though!!) and my thought is it might be better to just trade it in for the 18k and get the 4 runner.
    Any thoughts??
    Thanks
    CF
  • danielldaniell Member Posts: 128
    Hi,

I remember a while ago I checked the numbers and the 4Runner was about the same as the Forester in terms of passenger and cargo room (actually, Subaru has more passenger room, less cargo room). Most of the 4Runner interior numbers were within 1 inch from the Forester's (and about half of them lower for the Toyota). It sounded to me like you need a larger vehicle. In this case, the current 4Runner might not be a good choice - but better compare these interior numbers yourself (use either Edmunds or Carsdirect.com). Subaru Legacy/Outback would be a better choice, or wait for the 2003 4 Runner.