Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Tiguan Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
edited May 2015 in Volkswagen
Tell us about shopping for a new Tiguan!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• research1stresearch1st Member Posts: 23
    How long until VW will offer a great lease on the Tiguan???
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Well, can't lease one now until the recall is taken care of. Not a good way to launch a product.
  • research1stresearch1st Member Posts: 23
    What recall??? Please advise!
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Volkswagen is recalling approximately 4,000 of its 2008 Passats and Passat Wagons, along with the 2009 Tiguan. The automaker will fix engine control module software that can trigger an unexpected increase in engine rpm, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Ow. Not a good start for an all new model.
    But VW has company: Subaru had a stop sales order on the '09 Forester XT because a few overseas models has severe engine wear.
  • greengirl4jgreengirl4j Member Posts: 29
    Curious...where are you getting this recall info? I test drove one and never heard of any recall..I have researched this vehicle and only found that Track & Field edition won't come to USA for awhile and that prices will drop in August. There are people on this site whom purchased the SEL, SE, and S models in June with no engine issues! No mention of recall from them. So, just point me in the direction where I can research this myself...got a link? :lemon:
    NM...found it...http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/11/volkswagen-recalls-2009-tiguan-2008-pass- at-and-wagon-for-engin/?icid=100214839x1203786883x1200160498
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Autoblog.com

Volkswagen is recalling 4,000 2008 Passats and 2009 Tiguans for an "engine surging" issue. The problem is an engine control module that may not control engine idle when the air conditioning is turned on. In rare cases, the ECM can trigger an unexpected jump in engine RPM, which could obviously lead to an accident. NHTSA has informed VW that since the recall is a safety concern, dealers cannot sell the vehicles until the problem has been fixed. Owners of potentially affected vehicles are being told not to operate the air conditioning until a VW dealer has serviced the ECM, which is less than terrific news considering it's June and temperatures are around 90 degrees in many parts of the country. While it's disheartening that the brand new Tiguan is already getting its first recall, at least the problem was discovered early and there's a fix readily available.
  • bitfactorybitfactory Member Posts: 3
    I can confirm that VWoA's lease deals are horrible right now.

Both dealers I visited today in Cincinnati confirmed it.

Only got a lease write-up from one of them so far.

Tiguan SE w/ Moonroof - MSRP 29,100
    880 down, $530 a month (3/36).

Didn't get a money factor or rate from them - I was speechless, so I probably couldn't talk.

This is almost the same $ as my Touareg that is getting ready to go off lease. (4/48 - $800 down, $535 a month), only difference is, that was a $44,000 car.

Both dealers said Touaregs were sitting - not moving at all, and the Tiguans were only garnering passing interest.
  • raiderfan1raiderfan1 Member Posts: 12
    Just got an email quote for an S Auto Transmission of $24,000.00 I have not talked about monthly payment terms yet, but I do know that the rate will be 2.9% on 36months terms.....
    I don't want to lease. I want to buy but I just want to know if the recall is over.
  • jeffxpjeffxp Member Posts: 33
    The only way I could get a deal since the vehicle is so new is buy using Costco. If you don't know, Costco members receive 300 over invoice. The 300 dollars goes to Costco, but you get 200.00 back in dealership coupon for accessories or service. I checked several other dealers and no one is going under MSRP. Here's my breakdown:

Hi Jeff,

Here is the price breakdown:

2009 Tiguan 2.0LT SEL 4Motion $31,155
    Destination Charge $690

Options
    Power Panoramic Roof $1,148
    DVD NAV $1,758
    Tiguan Mat Kit Rubber Mats (set of 4) and Trunk Liner $150
    Tinted Privacy Glass $400

Price of vehicle $35,301

Down Payment $5,000

Gov't Fees $308.75

Tax (SM County) $2,916.87

Doc Fee $55

Monthly payment for 48 months @ 5.9% is $787.77

Monthly payment for 60 months @ 6.9% is $664.01

Normally ordered cars take 90 days from build to delivery. Your color chosen is the Candy White with Sandstone Leather.

Let me know if this is OK and we can take a credit card number for the deposit and start the process.

Please also note I received invoice on navi/4motion and sunroof.

Only a couple SEL's in California, I had to order mine. Looks like about 90 days. Although I'm leasing my current X3 my lease isn't up until Dec 13th. VW wll pay up to two months of my lease off after my car arrives. I'll be using Costco for financing as well, these APRS 2% higher than Costco.

I drove the SE, rides beautifully, much more comfortable ride than X3.

Jeffrey :shades:
    I usually buy through fleet dealers....a salesman did call me last weekend to get me in and said the price had finally dropped.
    I just realized I'm being charged for privacy glass and it's standard on the SE & SEL. I fired off an email to the internet salesman. :)
  • rubyjrubyj Member Posts: 3
    I also posted this in the leasing section, but thought it might be helpful here too. I am going to pick up my Tiguan tonight. I got a 4-Motion SE, white with sand cloth interior. They are throwing in the bluetooth with it. I am paying $2000 out of pocket (incl. 1st mo., taxes, title, fees, etc.) and $372 per month for 12K miles/36 mos. I am told it is $500 under invoice. They had it in stock.

Adding the nav, sunroof and leather was too expensive, so I'm going without. Hopefully on my next car. :)
    SE 4motion is $28,875 MSRP and $26,946 invoice. Let us know what the selling price is from the contract and if possible break it down for us... Sounds like a great deal, but just remember the lease contract usually inludes about a 800-900 leasing fee. Look for it in the contract. I'm not exactly sure, but it's there somewhere.

A little over $15,000.00 for three years is your cost. What's the pay off after 36mo? Happy trails.... :) I chose white also.

Jeffrey
  • bocamom1bocamom1 Member Posts: 6
    Jeff,

I am curious about the Costco deal. My husband and I are interested in leasing a Tiguan. We are looking at the SEL. We live in Florida and are Costco members. We have been to two dealerships and are in the process of negotiating. How do we get the Costco deal? Do we tell the dealership that we are members or do we have to go through Costco? I am so happy to hear about this deal. Do you like the car? We are deciding between the beige or black leather interior. Is the beige easy to keep clean?
    Thank you.

Ilene
    Ilene,

Yes, contact Costco and they will tell you which dealer works with Costco. The dealer must give you 300 dollars over invoice. If they don't Costco wants to know because they have a synergistic relationship. Beige is better in my opinion, I like two tone. Plus, black shows grey scuffs and the beige hides dirt better believe it or not. Plus, the beige comes with black carpet, nice for foot traffic. I decided on White/Gold paint.

Jeffrey
    Jeffery,

Thank you for the information. I asked the dealership about Costco and they said they would give me the deal. The only issue is finding a car. There is one available with a navigation system, which I don't know that I need. It adds about $2,000. to the vehicle. Do you have the navigation system? If so, do you like it? I like either the candy white or the white gold with the beige interior. How is the gas mileage? They say it gets 18 in the city and 24 on the highway. I appreciate your help.

Ilene
    Jeffrey,

I just emailed Costco and received local dealer info. I usually deal with fleet dealers from my credit union. Do you have any advice for dealing with dealers associated with Costco's program as far as getting the lowest price over invoice and no extra fees? With fleet guys, you pay no dealer costs because they get loan kickbacks...I don't want anything to do with Capital One and that is costco's loan service. Any advice regarding purchasing and financing is greatly appreciated! I want to purchase a blue SEL fully loaded..like $38, MSRP :shades:

Gina
    Jeff,

QUESTIONS: What was your OTD cost after tax, tag, title, blah, blah, blah...? Did the internet guy save you dealer fees, like fleet guys say they do? Did you get the 4.94% Costco financing rate? :)

Gina
    From what I heard the all around gas mileage in a mixed loop was 22-23mpg. Navigation may not be right for you, but I find it helpful even around where I live to get me on the freeway quick.
    Prevent ending up in neighborhoods you would rather avoid, safety. Plus, if you get the NAVI you also get a back-up camera. Are you getting the panorama roof as well? I'm getting the white/gold, looks more sophisticated IMO. Just get everything, leaves nothing to be desired. :shades:
    Hi Gina,

see my previous post on the breakdown in price. Costco deal is 300 over invoice. Plus I received invoice on all options. If you can beat that price on this vehicle's first year let me know. I've ordered mine and am impatiently waiting. No SEL's in the Bay Area, just S and SE's.

Jeffrey :)
    Jeff,

Thank you for the information, the back up camera is very useful, I agree. I was just trying to get one without navigation to save some money. I am getting the panorama roof as well. That is a very nice option and makes the interior feel wide open. I like both the white gold and candy white. Have you seen them in both colors in person?
    When will you get your vehicle?
    Ilene
    Hi, Jeff,

Did read your post on price breakdown but you mentioned that the internet guy added a $400 fee for tint that should have been included. Did you get that worked out? Was your OTD cost 35? Any tips for internet orders?

Thanks a bunch!

Gina
    Unfortunately I haven't seen them in person but here's a couple of links you will enjoy on some amazing high resolution pictures. Hold on let me go get the link..........................................................................he- re it is http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-tiguan.html
    http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-volkswagen-tiguan/291346/full/

My vehicle is on order and I will not get it until end of October :cry: :mad: :sick: The only option I have unless I want an SE, so I have to wait. Besides my X3 lease expires December 13th. No problem there...
    Hi Gina, I haven't worked that out but I don't think it will be a problem. Just an oversight on his part and the web shows it's included so shouldn't be a problem.

No tips for internet orders. I think once you show interest in the Costco program the rules may follow those guidelines. I am enjoying the part of no haggling and $300 over invoice for a brand new model is a good deal as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, there's probably always a better deal to be had, but circumstances have to be just right, dealer may be hot and they don't need to deal or sales may be slow and they are willing to deal.... :shades:
    The Costco guy told me there is a hold on orders for SEL's with NAV because there is a hold on new NAV system. Were you able to get the new touch screen NAV or did you have to go with the original since you have already place your order...when it is available for order again, it will be $500 under invoice...he said that as Europe got vehicle not much earlier than US, they are backed up in production, especially since Tiguan became popular in US so early on...many of us want the SEL's. :P
    Yes, after pressing my salesman about a solid delivery date becase my lease was ending in December. He came back with a march/April delivery date, so I had to cancell my order. Now I'm back looking for another vehicle....Really bummed out. But maybe I can find something else... :sick: I drove the RX350 today and wasn't amazed or astonished. I guess I was expecting more from Lexus, I never driven one before. Good luck and I hope your time frame is better than mine.

Jeffrey
    Jeff,

We just got a Tiguan SEL but it doesn't have navigation, it is candy white with charcoal interior. This one came in and we decided to take it without nav, since there was a wait on delivery. It is very nice and drives well. I knew there was a backup in production but didn't realize that they had changed to a touch screen on the nav system. My husband is enjoying the car very much, he is the one driving it. I am sorry you had to cancel your order. Are you sure that you can't find one without nav from another dealer? We drove the RX350 and we didn't like the way it handled.It was also more expensive. The Subaru Forrester drove very nicely, did you look at that? We were surprised when we drove it, but my husband didn't like the look of the car as much as the Tiguan.
    Ilene
    Jeff,

That is soooo depressing!!!! I drove the Lex. RX a few months ago….hated it!!!!!! I like the BMW X3…think you leased one…but too much for only one cup holder and poor electronics!!! At least my Costco guy was honest with me….what sucks is that I already went through an order nightmare with Jeep. I waited 4 months for a 4 door Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and it came in with the wrong color interior, top and all the wrong options….then they never replaced my order!!!! So, I started all over again….finally decided on the Tiguan after test driving everything in the US out there and now, I can’t get the model that I want!!! Geez! My friends think that I am nuts….taking almost a year now to buy a car!!!! :sick:
    Geengirl4,

I feel your pain, but guess what! My friend refered me to a car broker which I never had considered and he's said he may be able to get me a car out of state and will let me know by Monday. I know there's no navigation available and will sacrifice that to get one and just use a Garmin when I need it. Don't buy the X3 if you do alot of city driving because the ride is worse than a washing machine and you'll be sorry, not only bumpy ride but drive train is unrefinned, the stereo trys to hard to be loud and isn't warm. Can't beat the X3 on the highway though. If I can not score this Tiguan I'm going to get the CR-V; I just test drove it, very smooth ride, but not a fast car.
    At this point I'll take what ever SEL I can get. Sad? Yes, but willing to sacrifice color and AWD and Navi. :confuse:

Jeffrey
    Jeffrey,

No!!! You can't do it! You just can't settle for the "Eggmobile"!!! I have a joke with my peeps about the CRV...that if I don't find something soon, I will have to settle for the little green eggmobile (CRV)! :cry: But we can't...no way! :cry: LOL Anyway, the costco guy said, he may be able to place an SEL AWD order without the NAV and my credit union is having another car sale and low interest loan (3.9) on again from 9/15 to 10/15. So, there may be hope... :) That touch screen nav system will cost 3 grand aftermarket though, according to costco guy...will have to get basic GPS ($200 from brandsmart)...anyway, let me know what you find OOS from your car broker.. ;)

Gina AKA Greengirl4J
  • meronamkeithhomeronamkeithho Member Posts: 2
    You can get a Tiguan for below invoice. I just paid $26,500 for an SE with sunroof and mat kit. I paid invoice cost on all options and dealer even paid half of the destination charge. I paid about $500 below invoice at the end of the day. This is a buyer's market and no one should pay over invoice.
    Hello Meronamkeithho,

I have already contacted Costco as I have the executive membership. Problem is, I want an SEL AWD with Nav....Costco won't even take my order right now because VW is so backed up in production! They won't even give me a date when they can take orders again. People who ordered last May are scheduled to receive Tig in Nov. I wanted to order last May but was given a tip by a VW rep to wait until August when recall issue was to be fixed and price was supposed to drop...now I am stuck with nada! Don't want to settle for S or SE! :( I already had a jeep order nightmare....So, here we go again! They never have anything good on the lot....I know I am too picky but I have a right to be as a consumer!
  • meronamkeithhomeronamkeithho Member Posts: 2
    You're right about being picky. I happened to get really lucky in the exact car with the exact options in the exace color combo happened to be on the lot! Good luck with your search.
  • simshawk1simshawk1 Member Posts: 2
    Just leased a SE a week ago. Terms were 36mo/ 15k mi. I received a call from the dealership Bus Mgr yesterday stating there was a prob on the contract. He said I was supposed to be charged $0.25 instead of the $0.15 on my contract and wanted me to come back in to resign the paper work. He stated that VW wouldn't accept the contract, which IMO is bull considering when he signed it, he was signing on behalf of VW.

My question is, there somewhere I can find out what the actual per mile overage values are? Just want to determine see if he's trying to try and pull one over on me. Or should I just tell him we both agreed to the terms at the time of the signing and, SORRY (assuming he's telling the truth).

THanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I can't answer the question with any great degree of accuracy, but many leasing institutions have different overage charges, depending on the MSRP.

The last one that I ran into was Honda Finance, which was more, if the MSRP was over $30K.

I doubt he is pulling anything, because there is no benefit in it for him. As long as the rest of the deal stays the same, and you don't expect to go over, then there shouldn't be an issue, though I understand your concern.

You'll have to re-sign, if you want to keep the car. If VW won't fund the lease, then you'll have to give the car back.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tiggy1tiggy1 Member Posts: 1
    I also had the same thing happen to me. I requested my trade in back and call the deal off. I just felt that if it was a legal binding contract for me why was it not for them. They had already paid off my trade in and sold it to a wholesaler therefore I could not get out of the deal. In order to seal the deal I worked with the dealership and had them pay me the difference of 10cents a mile for 50,000 miles in case I went over my 45k. They cut me a check as soon as VW credit funded the car to them. Work out a deal for your time and trouble.
  • elgupasoelgupaso Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know what the money factor is for the 39 month lease they are advertising with the 0 down event? How much would it be for 48 month lease with same deal? Also, what would be the depreciation percentage for residual value on 39 month lease and 48 month lease?

Looking into getting a Tiguan, but want to play with numbers and make sure I get a good deal with prices. Thanks...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I don't have the answer to your question, but from what I see, the Tiguan is not going to lease out very well...

If you are stuck on a Tiguan, you should probably buy it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bjssbjss Member Posts: 51
    Hi - in the market for a small SUV (purchase), test drove the Honda CRV, RAV4, and Tiguan (all 4 Cyl). Tiguan seemed like a much more solid car, ride was smooth, great pick-up....but from all indications, it seems like the Tig is 2-4K more, dealers don't have many, and not willing drop the price much (from MSRP).

Anybody with some recent buying experiences? Was looking at an SE. Thx..
  • k2chadk2chad Member Posts: 18
    I'm deciding between an '08 Touareg and '09 Tiguan. I believe there is a dealer holdback available on the Tiguan. Anyone know what it is? Also, December lease rates would be much appreciated.
    thanks
  • k2chadk2chad Member Posts: 18
    It is $578 holdback. For current lease rates, see the lease section.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Anyone driving a Tiguan in heavy snow yet?
    If so, how are they doing?
  • TimG59TimG59 Member Posts: 1
    Paid $37,100 (plus tax, tags, etc) for my loaded SEL 4-Motion with NAV & sunroof. Although my local dealer (Checkered Flag in Virginia Beach, VA) tried to work with another dealer about 4+hours away (Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Frederick, MD), they wouldn't trade the vehicle for anything less than TWO other cars, one being a TDI Jetta. Because we were very particular about the color & options we wanted, this was literally the only one that fit our desires East of the Mississippi! Instead of waiting six months, we drove our other car five hours through DC traffic to get it. Did the paperwork as fast as we could and hit the road for another four hour trip (less traffic) in two vehicles.
    Would've been nice for the selling dealer to be as reasonable as our local dealer during the trade discussion. Where was the professional courtesy and care for the CUSTOMER??!!
  • greengirl1greengirl1 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in purchasing a 2009 VW Tiguan- it is a SEL FWD with panoramic moonroof- and have been given a price of $31,218 excluding taxes, title, reg... Does this seem like a decent price to anyone? Has anyone been able to cut a better deal for a similar model? I thought about leasing, but it just doesn't seem like a sound financial decision. Thanks for any input!
  • BCWatty_BCWatty_ Member Posts: 4
    Negotiated with dealer and they came in at invoice plus $700 and then saw the same car from the same dealer on eBay so I purchased a base 'S' model by winning the eBay auction with only $400 upgraded wheel option for $21,505 less $1,000 rebate by financing through VW Financial for a total of $20,505 plus $500 "dealer document fee" for out the door $21,005 for a vehicle with MSRP of $24,350. VW South in Charlotte, NC was happy to sell the car and my salesman was even given credit for the sale. My insurance provider, USAA, also has a car-buying service where I could have purchased at invoice less $200 (don't know about the dealer doc fee, though I suspect it would have been added to the price.) I am extremely happy with the deal and will add aftermarket heated seats and NAV. :D
  • GyrlwolfGyrlwolf Member Posts: 35
    Posted In Leasing Section Too (trying to get as much feedback as possible..smile)

Looking to lease a 09' Tiguan, SEL 4Motion w/Nav & Mat Kit. Wanted panoramic sunroof, but monthly payment ($400) was going to be more than I wanted to pay. I work for a company that allows us to purchase the Tiguan at dealer invoice price to include dealer price for options. That being said, this is what I was offered by our local dealer here in Southern NJ. The monthly payment sounds rather high to me still considering what I'm putting down (which I know for a lease I should try to not put down anything), but here are the numbers:

Dealer Invoice Prices:
    $30,668 (SEL 4Motion AWD)
    $750 Destination Charge
    $1758 Navigation System
    $150 Mat Kit
    =Total of $33,326

Now here's where it gets interesting:

$33,326 selling price
    $2,333 selling tax
    $254 4 yr vehicle registration fee
    $99 Doc Fee
    $7.50 NJ Tire Tax Fee
    =Total of 36,019.50
    minus-$3,000 I'd put down
    minus-$1,000 VW dealer cash

New financing total $32,020

Dealer came up with $464 mthly payment on 36 mth 12k a year lease.

Now is it me or is this monthly lease payment still rather high for the amount I'm putting down? :confuse: Any feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • smarttyjonessmarttyjones Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Tiguan SE with sunroof in DC area on 2/22/09. $23150 + tax, tag, + $229 dealer fee, with 3.9% financing for 36 months.

Price Details:
    Optional equipments: Panoramic Sunroof and Mat Kit
    MSRP $29174
    Invoice $27006

rebates:
    $1000 (financing with VW credit, Feb 2-Mar 2)
    $1250 (financing with VW credit, Feb17-Mar 2)
    $500 (owner loyalty rebate, until Mar 2)

Price before tax, tags, dealer fees: $23150
    Total price (for MD registration): a little above $25000

Overall very pleasant experience with the dealer, anyone interested in knowing the dealer's name, please pm me.