Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Trouble Starting my 96 TownCar

thesofinethesofine Member Posts: 1
I have a 1996 Exec TownCar that had trouble starting this afternoon. All the panel lights turned on and the starter turned as well. I think I head the fuel pump running as well. I tried it three times then stopped. I waited about 1hr and went back out and the car started without a hitch.

This confuses me a little because I can almost deduce that the problem is not the battery, the starter, or the fuel pump . . . so I'm a little at a loss. Does anyone know of something car-specific that can lead to this problem?

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Sometimes, when the engine has been run hard & put up wet, a circut breaker in a Black box under the hood will be stuck in a position that prevents starting until it is cooled off.

When this last happened to me, I put a Zip Lock bag of ice on it and the engine started within 5 minutes.
  • tbrecheentbrecheen Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem. It drove me crazy for about a year and a half. I finally listened to techs at Lincoln and replaced the crank position sensor. It solved my problem and rather cheaply. I hope this helps.
  • momma1717momma1717 Member Posts: 1
    Is the circuit breaker the same thing as the relay box? I have a 95 tc and it does this every time lately and it's been pretty hot and everyone one doesn't know what it is. I replace the relay switch's, fuel pump tested, and a bunch of other things. I was thinking it could be the coolant sensor, but i'm going to try this :)