Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1996 chevrolet cavalier 2.2 liter engine noise

dailydriver1dailydriver1 Member Posts: 1
I recently bought a 96 Cavalier with 140,000 miles on it; the engine makes a lot of clatter, it sounds like a diesel. There is no detenation going on and it sounds like top end noise not rod nock. The noise is always there but increases once things warm up like after a few miles. I don't know if I have an oil starvation problem or not. The seems to run good, a bit of a rough idle.

Comments

• gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    If it is around the front cover, it is the timing chain tensioner, common problem.
  • smokeeater9smokeeater9 Member Posts: 1
    it is not always the timing chain tensioner. i have a 97 with a 2.2 with 116,000+ on it and i have the same problem, but it isn't the timing chain tensioner, it's the lifters. when you first start the car, it's fine, after about 5 min then you start to hear the noise, and i have checked it out only because i had the same problem with my 93 duster.
  • mtrumanmtruman Member Posts: 1
    Hope you have taken care of the problem. I have the same engine in a S10 with 214k when the tension device disintegrated. It was running a little rough at idle like yours. Anyway it had a small piece of metal get caught between chain and a gear caused the flywheel key to shear and bent every valve. I can do the labor myself but still cost around 400 to fix a low dollar item that maybe should be replaced at 100k. I have had this engine completely disassembled and think it is well built on the inside. On a side note I also installed a cheap Hydrogen Cell and boosted my gas mileage tremendously.