Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sunroof leak on my Saturn Outlook

Comments

• oe_gdanieloe_gdaniel Member Posts: 2
    The vehicle was a certified used vehicle. My question is why the dealership DIDN'T know about the GM "Service Advisory 80207" and fix the leak before it was sold! I thought being certified meant they would have checked and repaired all recalls and "Service Advisories" along with the engine and drivetrain check. I JUST DON'T SEE HOW GM COULD KNOW ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH THEIR VEHICLES AND NOT WANT TO FIX THEM. We regret not getting a Honda or Toyota. Last GM for us!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    oe_gdaniel,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please send me your VIN? I hope you have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I spoke with Christina and she stated that she is currently awaiting information regarding your VIN. Please feel free to contact her again by email and she would be happy to look into this for you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    krozell,

I would be happy to look into this further for you. In order to do further reseach, I will need you to contact me by email. Be sure to include your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, involved dealership and a description of the issues you are experiencing. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • 2mad2mad Member Posts: 5
    I have been having the same problems with mine and put a post on General Motors facebook page. They called me to talk to me about it and then informed me about 2 recalls on the '07 Outlook XRs. I also posted pictures of the standing water in my front floorboards. We went out yesterday and my dash started flashing to have my airbag serviced, so now I am worried that the airbag is going to go off in my face. I went out in it today and it started flashing my car was over heated to turn the A/C off. The car had been sitting for more than an hour and I had not had my A/C on at all. I pulled in to the gas station a few feet away to get gas, turned my car off, pulled the key out and it kept running. I have not had the car a year yet. I now know why the ones that had it before us got rid of it. General Motors has something on their web site about how big they are on quality, which is an out and out lie. No wonder they had to have the government bail them out.
  • postonnopostonno Member Posts: 12
    I believe that everyone who has experienced water intrusion problems with their Outlooks should file a complaint with the NHSTA. Facts should be laid out, and concerns expressed in an unemotional manner. I do not believe that complaining to GM will get much done. The problems will continue to follow the vehicle, and subsequent owners will be left on their own, as has already been expressed by some. This is a VERY SERIOUS issue. I have had water running out of the airbag pop-outs in the front and the rear pillars, depending on how the vehicle is parked. Will the airbags deploy during a collision? Will they perform as promised? No one will know until they are needed.

There appear to be other issues with the electronics due to leakage into the dash.
    Unfortunately, as soon as the vehicle is out of warranty, GM's position appears to be that "we're on our own". As has been shown in the past, if a significant number of safety issues are noted by the NHTSA, perhaps some action will be taken.
  • siboldm2siboldm2 Member Posts: 7
    We can file complaint after complaint, but it won't go anywhere. I have been there and done that all the way to the top. The government owns GM so the governing agencies are not going to do anything for us. GM is protected by the government that is supposed to protect us. I have the airbag warning light issue and have had it for over a year now. I'm just waiting out my 3 and a half years that I have left owing on it. I'm going to drive it into the ground and then never in my life by another GM product. And they wonder why people buy Toyota and other reliable cars... I feel for everyone, but if you don't have a waranty you don't have a leg to stand on.
    postonno,
    If you would like to make a complaint with GM, please feel free to email me so I can look into your situation. Please include your VIN and current mileage, thank you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • unhappywithgmunhappywithgm Member Posts: 1
    roof leaking, running sluggish, oil leakage, engine shutting off going down the road, and the newest - popping noises when i turn the wheel - bought it in Oct. 2010- Had it 6 months -I ran a carfax before I bought it and nothing showed up........how is that? all of these problems within 6 months? Can we as saturn owners band together and all sign something to get GM's attention? I want to trade it in bc I have had so many problems, but I will most def. prob loose money plus be putting my problems on another family.
    Why file a complaint, GM is not going to do anything as I have found out. I have talked to someone in customer service and they acted like it was the first time they had heard of the leaking problem with the Outlooks. This is bull. There are enough complaints just on this forum for them not to know it. GM needs to man up and buy back all of the Saturn Outlooks that leak and remove these hazards from the road. I am just waiting for something to go completely haywire on mine and cause me to get into an accident. GM must have a might big broom for all this stuff they are sweeping under the rug. I believe GM has the mentality of if they ignore the problem, it will go away. I have taken pictures of the water standing in my floorboard and the rust that has developed around the emergency break pedal area. I plan to do a lot of free advertising for GM. I will contact anyone and everyone that I can. I have already sent something to one of the local television stations on the matter.
    I am in the same leaking boat with you. I have had my Outlook for just under a year and am having major problems with leaking and electrical issues.
    2mad,

You stated you spoke with customer assistance, did you have a case set up? If so, could you please email the case number, I would like to look into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    siboldm2,
    I understand your frustrations with your situation. I apologize that your case and situation did not go as you would have liked. However, as all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations, and the only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. If you are unsure or uncomfortable please feel free to inquire with the host, or send me an email with your telephone number and I can give you a call. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. Anyone who would like me to assist, please feel free to email me the information requested above.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bacanbitbacanbit Member Posts: 5
    2mad...I have also just reported this to one of my local television station last week. Iwill be reporting it the others...just staggering it out. My 2007 Outlook is back at the dealership today it leaked last week and then again yesterday morning. My appointment was set-up last week for today and then it just happened to leak again. This is so aggrivating! I will never buy another GM and have already told many people about the situation. Never, never again!
    bacanbit,
    I apologize for your frustration. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved Technical Assistance?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bacanbitbacanbit Member Posts: 5
    Christina ~ Yes I have spoken to customer service at GM. I have a service request number and am literally waiting for their call back by 5. My Outlook was in the shop today and of course they can't find the water leak. It was leaking yesterday morning just a few hours before I dropped it off with them! Ann at GM said she would call me today between 3-5pm. She has 35 minutes before someone there hears from me.
    bacanbit,
    Please keep me updated. Feel free to email me directly. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    unhappywithgm,

Have you taken the vehicle into your GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
    2mad,
    Thank you for your feedback. Filing a complaint with GM makes GM aware of the situation. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of our customer’s situations. The only way I can do this is with the customer’s assistance. My first step is to gather their contact information (including a good number to reach them), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what they are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. The next step in the process is the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know their customers are experiencing issues, they must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when customers are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it is with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if GM is contacted directly. Any customer that would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owner manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. Any customer that would like me to assist them, please feel free to email me the information requested above.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • unfancynancyunfancynancy Member Posts: 8
    I find this kind of response interesting since most of us have called Saturn and GM and have not had any success. As a matter of fact, it's even more frustrating to read on a site like this, and others, that so many people, from around the country have had very similar problems and most of us have been blown off by our Dealer; some even went as far as suing or filling a lemon law claim.

If GM wants to do right by it's customers... send a recall and fix these problems, stop acting like it's the first time you ever heard of it, stop insulting our intelligence and 'man up'. I would have a greater respect for GM if they were to do that.

I actually got rid of the Outlook and bought a Toyota. I feel safer with my family in the car and one could argue that Toyota gained a lot of respect by handling their past issues in a timely manner.

Never again.. will I buy a GM car and I will continue to post my situation and tell people I know about all the troubles I have had and the lack of resolution.

best to ya.
  • kempo439kempo439 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2007 Saturn outlook in Oct 2010 with 34k miles. in the past few months I noticed that water was leaking inside near the driver/passenger side doors near the ceiling. finally took it to the dealership yesterday and was told it would cost $800 to fix the problem due to that vehicle was not under original warranty and there was no recall for this issue. I also have had issues with the airbag light coming on. after reading these complaints from people with the same issues, i probably will not buy another GM product again. :mad:
    fight them on it. They know exactly what is wrong with the cars and should have done a recall on them. There are holes in the roof from the assembly line that they didn't close. I had my car fixed a while ago and it has not leaked since, but that is thanks to one guy at Champion Chevrolet who did everything he could to find the problem. Granted I had to pay to have it repaired because well GM DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR MISTAKES...I feel for you, but if I were you I would find out how many times that vehicle was in the shop prior to you buying it and then contact your local governments and local papers and heat things up. They should have never resold that vehicle until the repairs were done correctly. Guranteed your car was a lemon that was resold...
    kempo439,

Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
    yes i have and i spoke to a saturn customer service rep who told me that gmc would offer to pay half the cost for the repair. its a nice offer but i still feel i shouldn't have to pay anything seeing that gmc knew of that the earlier editions of the outlooks and buick enclaves had roof leak issues. i even found the service memo that expired in 2009 regarding the roof leak issue. my big complaint is gmc only required outlooks and enclaves made at certain plants to be recalled that had this issue. you would think that gmc would realize that all the early edition enclave and outlooks would have this issue even if they were made at different plants.
    kempo439,

I understand, but unfortunately I am going to stand behind your agent's decision regarding the resolution of the case.

Thank you,
    I think gmc is just waiting for a lawsuit to happen before they fix the problem they created
  • txsaturn_ownertxsaturn_owner Member Posts: 1
    My Saturn 2008 Outlook "leaky-sunroof" began to arrigate the inside of my vehicle after the first 5 months. My Saturn dealership attempted to fix until it closed down in 2009. The Saturn dealership 120 miles away had equal un-succes until it cloased down in 2010. Two months ago my local Buick dealer that became the official Saturn support dealership applied a "new" resolution (that actually became the new process to fix in June 2010; the previous dealership applied the old method yet again in May 2010): It worked!!! I have now given up my idea to adapt & put in house plants. And by the way the Service Tech at my Buick dealership got GM to cover 100% of the cost.
  • bheck1bheck1 Member Posts: 3
    I my Saturn is a 2007 and I bought it brand new. I had to return it many times for the leaking sun roof (now Fixed I hope) I also had to bring it in for the driver side head light that went out. That cost me 250.00 for a problem that a lot of people have had. The workmanship is just not there on the Outlook. That's too bad, I have a 2003 Chevy Impala and never had a problem with it. Thought was I was doing a good thing by buying AMERICAN. Need to replace the Impala but dont know if I should trust GM again.....
    txsaturn_owner,
    Glad to hear your concerns have been resolved and you are happy with the resolution of the situation. If you have any other questions comments or concerns please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • unfancynancyunfancynancy Member Posts: 8
    When you go to buy a new car, do your research first. I wish I would have done more research on that Outlook. It is nothing but problems (obviously since people all over the country are posting the same issues).
    We got rid of ours and bought a Toyota Highlander. Now we are a 3 Toyota family and have no regrets.
    Buying "American" just isn't what it used to be....
    I would also suggest researching the manufacturers customer service history. Saturn/GM let a lot of people down with the lack of help over the leak issues (not to mention all the other issues!)
    Best of luck with your search!
    Just an FYI - it will only cost you about $55 or $60 to fix it yourself. It will take about an hour to replace the wires, but it will save you money in the long run. I had to replace mine earlier this year and now the other one has gone out, so I will be replacing that one this weekend. On another note is anyone having issues with the battery gauge? Mine keeps reading high, yet my battery is ok. Sears tried to tell me that my alternator was going bad. Took it to another place after finding out that just for the part it was going to be over $600 and they told me the alternator was fine. My local dealership said that it was normal for the gauge to do what it is doing. I'm not so sure about that. Also am having problems with the anti-lock brake system and the traction control system. I really regret ever buying this car and will never buy American again thanks to GM.
    bheck1,

Glad to hear the leaking sunroof is now fixed. Please let me know if you have any future concerns.

Thank you ,
  • salwinsalwin Member Posts: 1
    I'm the owner of a 2007 Saturn Outlook that I bought new. The car has been in for the sunroof leaks and electrical issues at least 8 times, 3 times in the last three weeks. And I wont even get into the timing chain. GM customer service covered the last repair minus a 200 dollar courtesy charge. Everytime they return the vehicle it rains and it leaks again. The Chevy dealership has now called me after the third attempt at sunroof repair and told me to pick up my car but that only my keys would be available at the service desk but no paperwork. The service manager stated that he would mail me the paperwork in the message on the phone. Does this sound normal?
    salwin,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case the number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Click on member name to get email address.

Thank you,
  • aggravated07aggravated07 Member Posts: 35
    YES!! I just had a waterfall come in thru my top windshield... and when I called the dealer.. "he says this is not a warrantied item".. He says it is a seal.. this is ridiculous... All the other vehicles have the same issue and I am being told that it is not a warranty item... I have to pay a deductible for this repair even if it is covered by warranty... But then he says again.. seals aren't covered. When is GM/Saturn going to listen to their customers and perform a recall.. I am more worried about things that will go wrong in the future due to this problem with the water. It is extremely obvious that this is not a one car fluke thing.. All these people are having the same problems with water.. More and more everyday I am regretting trading in my NISSAN for this car.. Trying to buy from a local GM dealership to help them out and I get screwed in the end. Not only was the car not properly certified ( they sent me home with only about 30% of brake wear LEFT on my brakes) they say they helped me out by completing a recall that should have been completed over 12 months earlier and it wasn't. What else have the screwed me on... I am a very angry patron and they don't care about me or my kids.. They made their money off of me and they only want more and more..... pay your deductible... this isn't covered.. that isn't covered...

Has anyone heard of the recall yet?? Can anyone help me and anyone else with the same model car with these issues.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    thanks to a my gf's husband finding some information for me on my Saturn she dropped off to me today a Service Campaign Bulletin that is about the leaking sunroof issue...

This should have been fixed by GM/Saturn and it never was according to the outcome of this leak.. my floor is wet on the passenger side and the issue with it coming thru is still happening.

I am think that it might be time to get some legal advice and either find others to get a class action suit since there are so many owners out there with this issue. This is ridiculous. The bulletin Ref # is 08207A and was issued in Sept. 15th 2008..

this is a revised bulletin -- the original bulletin stated 8 tie straps were needed they revised it to 6.. Just sounds like another way they screw the consumer...

This should have been completed on my vehicle before I even purchased it... AND IT WAS NOT!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :lemon:
    aggravated07,

Are you still experiencing water leaking through the windshield or has this been taken care of? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • crazyoutlookcrazyoutlook Member Posts: 6
    -shifter cable locks up in cold weather. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -leaking power steering pump. ((not covered under powertrain!)
    -roof leaking when heavy rain is present. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -driver side mirror motor not functioning. (not covered under powertrain!)
    -automatic liftgate malfunction crushes me and my ten month old baby. (not covered under powertrain!) and is the last straw! My patience has ran out with this car. Purchased a year ago with 40000mi and have only put 8000 miles on it. I filed a case with GM and was rejected any cost assistance for the persitant problems. Thank God my son is ok, and i wil be visiting my doctor for my neck and head injury! Any "insight on the outlook"
    You got as much help as i did...8 was even told by a service mgr.."You are screwed". That pretty much tells u how much GM/Saturn care.... they received our tax money to help them out and they don give a sh*t about us... i would love to just get rid of this car and they won't even consider buying it back from me which woulc be the "great customer service" thing to do...prove we do matter..BUT WE DON't...they have reps call and try to smooth it over but they don't do aything either....I wish I never would have bought this car!!! :lemon: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • ginab1ginab1 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I purchased my 2008 Outlook (21000 miles) in April 2011. First experienced the dripping from the sunroof in May. Brought it back to Carmax and 2 days later they advised it was fixed. It is garage kept and I didn't notice it leaking again until last Thursday when it poured and the drip was now a steady stream of water. Used up all of my paper towels trying to catch the water. Carmax said they will again try to "fix" the problem tomorrow. I am so disheartened to read of these ongoing problems. I did e-mail GM customer service but I am not feeling very optimistic. I paid a lot for this vehicle and now I am afraid to drive it anywhere in case it rains. :(
  • jena529jena529 Member Posts: 1
    I too identified a sunroof water leak several months after purchasing my 2007 Saturn Outlook. I then spent the next year working with the dealer to have it repaired. After 5 tries it was supposedly fixed and i was given an extended warranty (really only covering oil changes) for my trouble. Of course, then Saturn went out of business and all Saturn owners received an offer in the mail of 12 months of free oil changes. Since I had been given one for my leaky sunroof I didn't qualify for the additional 12 months which made no sense to me. I reached at to GM about it and no one ever responded.
    Unfortunately the leak is back. I live on the east coast which has been in very much of a drought for the last few years. Now that it is raining my leak is back. I contacted the GM dealer who has been servicing my vehicle since Saturn closed and was told that I needed to contact GM directly as they didn't believe that this recurring leak was going to be covered by my warranty. Now that I am reading this message board I am beyond disgusted that this is still going on and I wonder just how many of us are out there with this problem. I spent way too much money on this vehicle, which I do really like, to be living with this water leak that is only going to cause additional damage.
    jena529,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please include your username from the forum?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • mistypmistyp Member Posts: 1
    We purchased our saturn outlook brand new in 07, i am now wishing we had chosen another car manufacture The dealer that was located here was very nice and fixed the sunroof leak many times, it was so bad it looked like it was raining in my car. Finally they said they had fixed it and things were doing well. They went out of business and I had to take my Saturn to the Chevy/Gm dealer for an oil change. Then all the sudden it started "puttering" as if it wasn't started but moving? My husband took the car in and they said it was "dirty gas". After giving us a quote that we thought was to clean out the tank and drain the gas, we said do what needs to be done. However when my husband picked up the car it did the same thing. He went into and spoke with the service rep, she then got the manager who said not the money we just charged you was for diagnostic, draining the gas and cleaning the tank cost much more. Well why didn't you do this sir? After the manager basically told my husband he could care less we left with our puttering Saturn! We did file a complaint with the owner of the dealer which didn't do us any good. The car is leaking at the sunroof whenever it rains and will not turn off even with the key out of the ignition!! We have to take a fuse out in order to shut the car off which in turn cases the car to ruin so slow when put back in. We will not return to the dealership and I dont really know what to do. Since we are locked in with the car for at least another two years it has to be fixed. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks
    I want to know if they are ever going to step up (GM) and make the necessary repairs to make us happy that we bought their vehicles? I am tired of the run around and if there are enough people I am ready to follow up with a class action suit against GM. I am tired of being treated like this and big corporate walking all over everyone because they can!!! :mad: :lemon:
    I do have the back glass window. I am so frustrated and upset with this matter and for the price the car cost me it makes it even worse. And they wonder why we will not buy american made anymore. The quality is terrible and no one stands behind their product at all! :mad:
    aggravated07,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mistyp,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide your screen name that is used on the forum?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    That is a joke...you guys do nothing except give people the run around. Because i have gone thru it..GM doesn't care... if you read all the other posts by other consumers.. you do not help...stop pretending that you do! :mad:
    aggravated07,
    There are customers we help. Each case is different so they are handled on a case by case basis. I'm sorry you did not get the resolution you are looking for. If you would like to send me your case number I would be happy to look through it.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • nugget53nugget53 Member Posts: 10
    We "traded down" from a '05 Suburban to an '08 Outlook XR earlier this summer, taking delivery of the car on July 16th. The car was immaculate, loaded with options and had just hit the 40,000 mile mark. In short, it was everything that we were looking for in downsizing from a Suburban to a crossover. Within a few days, the first problem surfaced when we noticed that the driver-side headlight was burned out. The dealer replaced the headlight which promptly blew out again as soon as it was turned on, prompting him to check/replace the wiring harness and headlight again. This problem has not yet resurfaced and the dealer footed the bill for the repair. We then drove the car to the Florida panhandle from July 29th to August 4th (approx. 1600 miles) with no problem. Two days later (on August 6th) the 2nd problem surfaced. The engine would not shut down, even with the key removed from the ignition. This persisted throughout the weekend, another trip to the dealer followed and the car was out of commission for 4 days while they checked it over. When I picked the car up, the Service Manager informed me that they could not get the problem to repeat and found no trouble codes; however, he told me that they had loaded some updates into the computer, one of which was supposed to fix the run-on problem. After 5+ weeks, we have not seen the run-on problem return and, since we had not yet owned the car for 30 days, the dealer again picked up the tab. That brings us to THIS week. After a couple of dry months or so, we had a substantial rainfall, the first since we have owned the car. Water poured in through the edge of the sunroof on the passenger side turning the floorboard into a swimming pool. This problem is what led me to the internet and this forum. It is saddening to see that so many owners have had all of these problems (many worse than anything I have seen so far) with little-to-no resolution. As of today, I have not yet contacted anyone about the leaking sunroof issue and after reading all of these posts, I am not sure that the dealer is the answer as I have seen very few posts that prove that ANY dealer has a permanent resolution to the problem even after multiple repair attempts. Bulletin # 08207A would not have applied to my Outlook as the VIN number falls outside of those listed for repair; therefore, I am assuming that this is probably a first occurrence of this problem for my vehicle. My local GM dealer has a great service department that I have used for years, but I am considering taking my Outlook to the local body shop for their opinion before doing anything else. Either way, the leak HAS to be repaired at my expense before it can do any more damage. We take several trips of 1200-1600 miles per year and have another one coming up next month. I am a little anxious about travelling out of state in a car that I am not sure I can trust. My confidence in this car is a little shaken after 2 months of ownership, especially considering the few problems that I have already had and the posts that I have read on this forum about problems that I COULD have just because I own this model. Having just made the second of 60 payments, I feel like I am stuck and just waiting for the next thing to "happen" at any time. Has anyone else who has experienced the leaking sunroof issue ever had this problem diagnosed and/or repaired by a body shop instead of a GM dealer? If so, please post a reply.