Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sunroof leak on my Saturn Outlook

Comments

• I too identified a sunroof water leak several months after purchasing my 2007 Saturn Outlook. I then spent the next year working with the dealer to have it repaired. After 5 tries it was supposedly fixed and i was given an extended warranty (really only covering oil changes) for my trouble. Of course, then Saturn went out of business and all Saturn owners received an offer in the mail of 12 months of free oil changes. Since I had been given one for my leaky sunroof I didn't qualify for the additional 12 months which made no sense to me. I reached at to GM about it and no one ever responded.
    Unfortunately the leak is back. I live on the east coast which has been in very much of a drought for the last few years. Now that it is raining my leak is back. I contacted the GM dealer who has been servicing my vehicle since Saturn closed and was told that I needed to contact GM directly as they didn't believe that this recurring leak was going to be covered by my warranty. Now that I am reading this message board I am beyond disgusted that this is still going on and I wonder just how many of us are out there with this problem. I spent way too much money on this vehicle, which I do really like, to be living with this water leak that is only going to cause additional damage.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,251
    jena529,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please include your username from the forum?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • We purchased our saturn outlook brand new in 07, i am now wishing we had chosen another car manufacture The dealer that was located here was very nice and fixed the sunroof leak many times, it was so bad it looked like it was raining in my car. Finally they said they had fixed it and things were doing well. They went out of business and I had to take my Saturn to the Chevy/Gm dealer for an oil change. Then all the sudden it started "puttering" as if it wasn't started but moving? My husband took the car in and they said it was "dirty gas". After giving us a quote that we thought was to clean out the tank and drain the gas, we said do what needs to be done. However when my husband picked up the car it did the same thing. He went into and spoke with the service rep, she then got the manager who said not the money we just charged you was for diagnostic, draining the gas and cleaning the tank cost much more. Well why didn't you do this sir? After the manager basically told my husband he could care less we left with our puttering Saturn! We did file a complaint with the owner of the dealer which didn't do us any good. The car is leaking at the sunroof whenever it rains and will not turn off even with the key out of the ignition!! We have to take a fuse out in order to shut the car off which in turn cases the car to ruin so slow when put back in. We will not return to the dealership and I dont really know what to do. Since we are locked in with the car for at least another two years it has to be fixed. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks
  • I want to know if they are ever going to step up (GM) and make the necessary repairs to make us happy that we bought their vehicles? I am tired of the run around and if there are enough people I am ready to follow up with a class action suit against GM. I am tired of being treated like this and big corporate walking all over everyone because they can!!! :mad: :lemon:
  • I do have the back glass window. I am so frustrated and upset with this matter and for the price the car cost me it makes it even worse. And they wonder why we will not buy american made anymore. The quality is terrible and no one stands behind their product at all! :mad:
    aggravated07,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mistyp,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide your screen name that is used on the forum?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • That is a joke...you guys do nothing except give people the run around. Because i have gone thru it..GM doesn't care... if you read all the other posts by other consumers.. you do not help...stop pretending that you do! :mad:
    aggravated07,
    There are customers we help. Each case is different so they are handled on a case by case basis. I'm sorry you did not get the resolution you are looking for. If you would like to send me your case number I would be happy to look through it.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • We "traded down" from a '05 Suburban to an '08 Outlook XR earlier this summer, taking delivery of the car on July 16th. The car was immaculate, loaded with options and had just hit the 40,000 mile mark. In short, it was everything that we were looking for in downsizing from a Suburban to a crossover. Within a few days, the first problem surfaced when we noticed that the driver-side headlight was burned out. The dealer replaced the headlight which promptly blew out again as soon as it was turned on, prompting him to check/replace the wiring harness and headlight again. This problem has not yet resurfaced and the dealer footed the bill for the repair. We then drove the car to the Florida panhandle from July 29th to August 4th (approx. 1600 miles) with no problem. Two days later (on August 6th) the 2nd problem surfaced. The engine would not shut down, even with the key removed from the ignition. This persisted throughout the weekend, another trip to the dealer followed and the car was out of commission for 4 days while they checked it over. When I picked the car up, the Service Manager informed me that they could not get the problem to repeat and found no trouble codes; however, he told me that they had loaded some updates into the computer, one of which was supposed to fix the run-on problem. After 5+ weeks, we have not seen the run-on problem return and, since we had not yet owned the car for 30 days, the dealer again picked up the tab. That brings us to THIS week. After a couple of dry months or so, we had a substantial rainfall, the first since we have owned the car. Water poured in through the edge of the sunroof on the passenger side turning the floorboard into a swimming pool. This problem is what led me to the internet and this forum. It is saddening to see that so many owners have had all of these problems (many worse than anything I have seen so far) with little-to-no resolution. As of today, I have not yet contacted anyone about the leaking sunroof issue and after reading all of these posts, I am not sure that the dealer is the answer as I have seen very few posts that prove that ANY dealer has a permanent resolution to the problem even after multiple repair attempts. Bulletin # 08207A would not have applied to my Outlook as the VIN number falls outside of those listed for repair; therefore, I am assuming that this is probably a first occurrence of this problem for my vehicle. My local GM dealer has a great service department that I have used for years, but I am considering taking my Outlook to the local body shop for their opinion before doing anything else. Either way, the leak HAS to be repaired at my expense before it can do any more damage. We take several trips of 1200-1600 miles per year and have another one coming up next month. I am a little anxious about travelling out of state in a car that I am not sure I can trust. My confidence in this car is a little shaken after 2 months of ownership, especially considering the few problems that I have already had and the posts that I have read on this forum about problems that I COULD have just because I own this model. Having just made the second of 60 payments, I feel like I am stuck and just waiting for the next thing to "happen" at any time. Has anyone else who has experienced the leaking sunroof issue ever had this problem diagnosed and/or repaired by a body shop instead of a GM dealer? If so, please post a reply.
  • In reference to my post above, I decided today to try a different approach as a start toward correcting my leaking sunroof issue. Our local GM dealer is a longtime friend and I decided to explain my situation to him first and get his opinion before taking this matter beyond GM to be diagnosed and/or (hopefully) repaired elsewhere. As I explained to him, we love the car so far despite the problems we have already had and are satisfied with the repairs that his dealership has made for us to date; however, after reading the posts in this forum concerning all of the electrical problems the sunroof leaks have caused other owners, we are now becoming concerned that for the first time EVER, we have bought a problem vehicle that we may be stuck with for awhile. We traded our "gas guzzler" Suburban (which never had a problem in 74000 miles) for the Saturn to SAVE money rather than throw good money at a problem or multiple problems that may not be able to be repaired or may frequently re-occur after repair based on what I have seen in most of the posts concerning both this issue and others. He has assured me that we WILL get the sunroof problem corrected, and because of my experience with him and his service department, I have no doubt that they will try everything that they can to resolve this issue. At this point, he has advised me to call GM Customer Assistance, explain the problem, get a case number assigned to it and let him know when this has all been done. I am planning to make the call today and will give GM every opportunity (but not forever!) to correct this problem. I have been a loyal GM owner (mostly Chevrolet) for most of my 40+ years of buying vehicles and every new or used GM car or truck I have ever owned to this point has been virtually trouble free. I'll give them a chance on this one, but I do not intend to put a lot of time and effort into this before exploring other options.
    nugget53,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance yet? I am very happy to hear of the close working relationship you have with your dealer. That was excellent advice on his part about calling Customer Assistance. If you have not set up a case yet, I would be happy to do so for you. Please keep me updated on you situation and feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns. I hope the weekend is going well for you! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • How can I set up a case for this same issue as well? I purchased this car new and within the last year, I am having issues with the sunroof leaking a lot! It has been into the dealership once, I have an appointment again this week.

Best regards,

Cebmidwest
  • nugget53nugget53 Posts: 10
    edited September 2011
    Yes...I have set up a case with GM and am having my Outlook checked by my dealer's service department this week. I was able to observe my vehicle from the inside during a rain event a couple of evenings ago. It is quite obvious that there are a couple of problems here: (1) the sunroof is a poor design. It has a very poor system in place for sealing the glass against the sunroof opening. I can actually push the glass up and down with one finger using very little effort since it seals against nothing more than a flat body surface. Water streams in around the glass in several places and it seems to be much more water than any drain system could begin to handle. (2) The drain lines move very little, if any, water away from the drain channel. If I understand correctly, the drain system is supposed to be in place in the event of "seepage" from a worn sunroof gasket or extremely heavy storm which overrides the seal. The drain channel and drain lines are not in place to remove water from every rain event that occurs, and no sunroof is "designed to leak" as some posters have said they were told. I have owned at least 4 GM vehicles with factory-installed sunroofs and this is the first one of them that has leaked anything at all, regardless of the age of the vehicle. We'll see what happens with my dealer this week. By the way, I called GM Customer Assistance at 800-222-1020 to get a case set up. They asked for my VIN #, current mileage and a description of the problem.
    Cebmidwest,
    I can set up case for you. Just email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My Outlook went to my local dealer's service department for repair late last week. As I said in an earlier post, I have known and dealt with this dealer and his sales and service departments for 25+ years and have never had a complaint with anyone there about anything. As far as this problem, the service manager was very good about the whole thing and went out of his way to keep me informed throughout the process about what they were doing, what was found and how it was repaired. Since we did buy this vehicle used and the whole deal came together pretty fast when we bought it, I didn't have time to do the research on the car that I usually would have. Knowing this, the service manager offered to call up the history of the vehicle on GM's system so I could see everything that has ever happened to it. There were some safety recalls showing that had been completed, a pretty good service history was documented and a recent battery replacement was listed; however, there were no major problems or repairs (transmission, engine, etc.) and no previous water leaks reported or repaired!! I would have to say that after reading about some of the nasty problems that others have had with their Outlooks and seeing that mine hasn't shown any of them to this point, I do feel a little better about owning it.

As far as the repair of the leaking sunroof, first, the dealer tested the drain system and made sure that it was all opened up and flowing the amount of water that it is supposed to flow. Then the roof itself was closed and water tested. According to the service manager, this is where the problem was found. A bad/worn sunroof seal was allowing a huge amount of water to get in around the edges of the roof, so much that the drain system was being overloaded and water was overflowing into the car. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had already seen how badly the roof was leaking during a recent storm and that it just didn't seem to seal tightly enough. Anyway, the dealer ordered and installed a new sunroof seal and told me that it all water tested O.K. after the repair. When I picked up the car and checked the repair, I found that the roof is now sealing tightly and I cannot manually move it up and down as I could previously. Since the roof was only flooded with a garden hose to test it and it hasn't rained since the repair, I can't say with 100% certainty that the problem is fixed, but my experiences with this dealer throughout the years tell me that they have done all that they can right now and will stand behind what they have done to this point. I have my fingers crossed that I'll be one of the lucky ones as far as this issue goes. The really great thing about all of this so far is that when I went to the cashier's window to see how much all of this was going to cost me, everything had all been taken care of and I didn't owe a dime!! GM has called me at least 4 times to check on the status of the repair and ask if I have any other issues or problems. All of the GM reps have been very courteous and have appeared to be genuinely concerned about my problem. The last rep that called advised me to get the car back to the dealer and contact GM with my case number as soon as possible if the leak is still there or comes back later. So far, the experience with all of this has been really positive, but I also know that it can all go to crap fairly quickly if the problem is still there the next time it rains and I end up having to deal with all of the hassles that so many others on this forum have had........Time will tell.
  • I would like to know your dealership if possible.. The ones I have gone to said they will charge me for any kind of repairs dealing with that. :mad:
  • Not sure where you are from, but I live in east central Illinois about 180 miles south of Chicago and 100 miles west of Indianapolis. At this point, I'm not sure if the dealer or GM picked up the tab, but I am guessing that GM did. When I saw that it was taken care of, I didn't want to ask any questions! As I said, the GM reps that I have talked to have been very helpful and courteous toward me. Then again, when I have spoken with them, I haven't gotten out of line, cursed at them, blamed them for anything or threatened anyone because of the problem. I don't have it in me to be like that, and I think that regardless of the problem and the aggravation that it is causing, it never helps your cause to go after people who probably put up with "bad attitudes" all day, then have to go home to their own problems. I'm hoping that the way that I have dealt with them has helped me in this matter so far. After all, part of the problem is mine.....I bought a USED car. People trade cars every day, some because they can afford it and are tired of what they drive, and some because they are having annoying problems that they want to rid themselves of regardless of the cost. When you buy used, and don't do your homework like I didn't do this time, you don't know which reason put that vehicle on the lot. The owner that trades the car wants all that he can get out of his trade-in so he trades it when it isn't acting up and keeps his mouth shut about everything that he has had go wrong. We've all probably done that at some time or another. Back to the sunroof leak, I can't say for sure that it is 100% fixed as we have had no rain since the repair and none is predicted for several days. The guys that fixed it always do good work for me and I have faith in them....we'll see what happens when we get a good hard rain.
  • I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR. I brought it home July 3rd 2008 from the Saturn Dealership, right before they closed their doors. I'm the first owner of my SUV. I had to wait for it to basically come off the conveyor belt. The first problem I had was the LEFT HEADLIGHT. It went out. The first time it happened, the Outlook was still under warranty and the dealership fixed the bulb free of charge but didn't put the bulb cap back on. Since the Saturn dealership was 40 mins away from where I live, I didn't deem it worthwhile to drive back for my bulb cap. The second time the SAME HEADLIGHT went out, my husband replaced it. In just several days, it was out again. So I took it to a mechanic and he pulled the headlamp WIRING HARNESS out and it was burnt. It was literally melted. He replaced it. Then, the next thing to go out was the LIFTGATE. It stopped staying up and needless to say, it has gone down on my husband’s head several times and it’s not funny. :mad: Then, I got a letter in the mail recalling the WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID WARMER. This one was easy. I had to leave it at the GM dealership and they dismantled it free of cost. Last month, the RIGHT HEADLIGHT blew out while on a family vacation 5 hours away from home my husband did a quick fix, by replacing the bulb. It lasted a good month and it went out just this week AGAIN. My husband just replaced the bulb. We don’t have the funds to replace the wiring harness right now, so as long as it keeps powering the bulbs we replace, we’re just gonna have to treat the symptom every now and then. And now today, our first hard rainfall and I woke up to find the interior of my Saturn leaking from everywhere. As I drove to work, I could hear water sloshing around the interior roof of the Saturn. When I’d break, the water would spill out from where the roof met with the front windshield and from the two airbag outlets that are located on the passenger side grab-handle. It poured out onto my dashboard and into the vents of the AC. And when I would step on the accelerator, the water would slosh to the back and pour out onto the seat from the little hole on the roof where the middle 3rd row’s safety belt retracts from. There wasn’t anything I could do about it. I had to get to work. So it rained off and on all day and by the time I got out of work, the driver’s side floor base was flooded. And I could see that it had trailed its way into the car from where the emergency brake pedal is located. I went home and my husband and son ran the water hose over the roof of the Outlook and found the culprit. It was the SUNROOF. I called the dealership and they said it’s good that we found the source of the problem. Otherwise I’d have had to pay $160/hr while they took apart every panel and ran the SUV through a rain simulator to find out where the leak was coming from. I didn’t set up an appt to get it fixed yet as it just happened today and I really don’t have the funds right now. (My Outlook payment is $600/month) :( Plus, I want to see if there’s damage to my electrical. Those things surface later, so I’ll wait a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I’m using painters tape around the edges of the sunroof. I’m going to call my insurance company to see if the comp portion will cover if any electrical damage is caused due to this disgraceful misfortune. I’m reading posts about Transmission failures and other things and I’m just thinking… oh dear Lord! :sick: I’m interested to know if anyone has success in getting their sunroof problem fixed. I wish it was there was a recall for it and for the headlight issues too. But I’m sure y’all agree with me when I say, “When it rains… it really pours.” :cry:
  • 2mad2mad Posts: 5
    We caulked around our sunroof and it did not help one bit. The service manager at the dealership we went to with our problems told us to get rid of our Outlook as quickly as we could and to please take it far, far away to trade it because he didn't want it to come back to their shop. The water coming in was starting to mess up a lot of electrical stuff and had messed up one of the airbag sensors. It was going to cost nearly $5,000 to fix the airbag problem.