Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sunroof leak on my Saturn Outlook

Comments

• siboldmsiboldm Member Posts: 4
    Well I just got my car back and supposedly fixed. While there picking up my car another Outlook was in for the same thing. Champion Chevy in Tallahassee, FL got stuck with the repair bill because GM told them to fix it and then told them they were not reimbursing for the cost. Don't worry, I'm not stopping until I've exhausted all avenues or GM pays for the mess they created. I just hope that because I'm only a couple days past the lemon law expiration that they will still handle my case based on all the other people out there like me that had the same problem. If anyone has case numbers that they could provide to me so that I can pull the cases and submit them with my complaint, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • siboldmsiboldm Member Posts: 4
    By the way I bought mine around the same time and the leak happened around the same time as yours, the same exact way.
  • tang3tang3 Member Posts: 2
    Just brought our leaky Outlook to the dealer. Recently purchased a repurchased vehicle that supposedly had the leaking issue repaired by GM. Not the case. So far our dealer has been great. The mechanic working on our car explained that during the assembly process they drill four holes around where the rear sunroof will be to move the car down the assembly line. These are not drain holes and should have been filled in, so they filled them in. They also cut the x's out of the bottom of the drain tubes, and replaced the weather stripping around the front doors. Don't know if this will actually solve our problem or not, we'll see.
  • tang3tang3 Member Posts: 2
    Had my Outlook in to have sunroof leak repaired they filled four holes around the fixed rear sunroof. These holes were used during manufacturing to move the body down the assembly line. Since the repair we have had two major storms with 4-6 inches of rain each and no leaks.
  • mklvkcmklvkc Member Posts: 3
    Also have an 08 XR. Engine replaced at 28000 miles due to valve and cylinder damage due to "timing chain slip". Had issues with check engine light, stabali-trak. engine missing poor performance etc. from 4000 miles on. Resolved somewhat then reappeared. Also had issues with roof leak, doors self locking. Filed for lemon law x2 myself, denied of course. Now have attorney working on it. Settlement offered by Saturn does not meet my needs. Where did you locate bulletins regarding cam problems? Saturn says they cannot find them. Tried to locate bulletin # 4016 regarding misfires as mentioned in other postings on other sights, but Saturn say they can't find it. Thanks for any advice or help
  • pete167pete167 Member Posts: 1
    YEAH, 4TH TIME WITH A LEAK AND YEAH THEY REPLACED THE SEAL PLUS RUINED MY HEADLINER. IF U KNOW A GD LAWYER, EMAIL
  • mklvkcmklvkc Member Posts: 3
    Check Wisconsin lemonaid.com.
  • ltpmdirkltpmdirk Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I purchased an 07 Outlook in May, 2007-best one on the showroom floor (or so we thought). A week later, water drained into the passenger compartment. We took it back, they "fixed" it and off we went. About 10 months later, same thing and same repair. A year later, same thing. This time, we were livid and they claimed to fix it again. As of this point, it is past the 2 year Fl. Lemon Law requirement. Last September, it absolutely gushed into the passenger compartment and came down from the overhead area. We took it to Saturn who told us it was out of warrenty and it would cost us over $500 to fix. I was (and still am) incensed! Now, with the Florida storms over the summer, our Outlook smells like mold and the passenger compartment is constantly wet. Should we look at a Class Action Lawsuit against GM? Any thoughts on that or what options are available to us?
  • khookskhooks Member Posts: 4
    We had a 2008 Saturn and it leaked....Get yourself a lawyer. Not worth the time and effort, GM will not help. Have all your papers documented and find a lawyer... It will take some time but I think it is worth it. We got 7500, 4000 we got and of course the Lawyer got 3500. Not bad though. Does yours have the 2nd roof...That is what leaks, there are 4 pin holes where they put it on the car...

We had 1 new headliner, new carpet and hope it is now fixed, they resealed the glass. GOOD LUCK>...
  • postonnopostonno Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a new Outlook August 2008. A month later, I rec'd "Service Advisory"80207(GM didn't want to call it a "recall" for obvious reasons). Its been to 3 different GM dealers in TN and FL for a total of 6 repair efforts. Same issues as described by others. Only leaks when it rains, never at the dealer shop. Water intrudes to lowest corner of car. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA. I'm truly concerned with water running out thru the rear air bags, seat belt retractors, and down the right W/S pillar thru the fuse panel, electronics, etc. Thus far, the dealers are happy to attempt repair, and get me a loaner to drive. My warranty will expire 08/2011 or in 6K miles, and then, according to all the other posts, I'll be on my own against the big GM that my taxes have kept afloat (no pun intended).
  • lakegallakegal Member Posts: 6
    Get yourself a attorney that has experience with lemon laws! I filed a suit but since I did it before Saturn filed bankrupcy I was poop out of luck!
    Ended up getting rid of my Saturn (lost a ton of money!)
  • ltpmdirkltpmdirk Member Posts: 2
    If you are in FL, look up Krohn and Moss, Attorneys. That is who I am dealing with and so far, they have been up front and honest. At this point in our lawsuit against GM, things are going as they told us they would. Will post with the final results in the future...
  • michaelambermichaelamber Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Saturn Outlook, I also have had a leaking sunroof - which allowed (over time) for water to get int to my dash...leading my airbags to not function properly...my lights to cut off while driving at night and who know what is next to come. I hired an attorney and am in the process of filing under my states Lemon Law right now, I wouldn't waste any time if I was you.
  • jrlazerjrlazer Member Posts: 1
    What state are you in? I need to file a claim and am curious about how to begin.
    I'm in FL. My attorney advises that GM would be responsible for the continued repairs even past the 3-yr factory warranty period, since they are the one that called initial attention to the problem, and have undertaken 6 attempts thru dealers to fix it. At this late date, a Lemon Law claim would probably not be worth the effort, since the vehicle has now depreciated 3 model years. I'm probably just going to lick my wounds, and go back to a Ford, which seems to stand behind their products better than the taxpayer owned company.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    postonno,
    Can you please email me directly?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • unfancynancyunfancynancy Member Posts: 8
    I think we would all like to know what GM Customer Service has to say about this issue.......
    unfancynancy,
    If you have an issue, feel free to email me and I will discuss your situation with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • alwaysgoforitalwaysgoforit Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Saturn purchased new in June 2007. One year later - similar water issues as described by others - coming in the airbag areas and down the driver's side window. They resealed our sunroof and "repaired" all the holes...only to have the problem resurface again and again and "they could not recreate it at the dealership". We have noticed that it is not just rain but ice that is the problem and when it melts it finds it's way in. We documented everything and sent it to GM who insisted to allow the dealership more attempts to fix. It turned into electrical problems, batteries changed every week, windshield wipers going without being turned on, to the engine running even when the keys were removed from the vehicle! We have had the transmission replaced due to some factor issue, our car break down over 100 miles from home only to have it towed and worked on for a week (for a warranty issue) and us fighting for 2 mos. to get reimbursed for the loaner...the list can only go on.

The only reason I am posting now is because the problem has surfaced again (April 2011) and all the previous problems were handled at the Saturn dealership who dealt with GM - we are now at our "recommended dealer" who does not want to deal with the issue. GM said they should provide a loaner and see what the problem is since we have evidence that is was an issue from before....oh, but the dealership wants us to foot the bill for the loaner and any work! I am livid that such a company as GM can treat their customers in this way. I am outraged and my five children have to ride in a car with water coming out of the seatbelt holes now. It's been almost two weeks since I contacted the dealership and GM about water pouring in on my kids and NOTHING has been done.
    Where is the customer service? My business relys on the service I provide my customers on a daily basis, why doesn't GM focus on their customer service?

Good luck - if anyone has success please pass it on - Frustrated in VA!
    I will never but a GM product again. The dealers are wonderful and willing to help anyway they can but when it comes down to it they just don't build vehicles like they use to.
    I filed the lemon law in Arkansas before Saturn declared bankrupcy and was blown off.
    alwaysgoforit,

Do you have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into the situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I hear ya! I actually took my Saturn up to Toyota this weekend and got rid of it, traded it in for a Highlander. I feel much safer now.
    Best of luck to all of you!
  • rgvballrgvball Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Interesting series of posts. Add me to the list. I purchased a 2007 Outlook XR when they first came out. I have had an ever growing list of issues with the vehicle, but the sunroof issue has gone back to the top of the list because of the mold issue. I will NOT put my kids in it now, which is a shame.

The saga of the sunroof started a year or so back when I would get so much water trapped in the headliner, that when braking, I would literally get soaked with the torrent of water that would spill out of the interior sunroof opening. My "Favorite" electrical symptom was that I would turn the car off and remove the key and the engine would continue to run for up to 10 minutes with now way to turn it off.

The Saturn Dealership acknowledged the issue and as per the Sunroof Recall they both extended the drain tubes as well as replaced the tube fittings. These fittings I was told were designed incorrectly with a 90 degree elbow in them and that they were replaced with "straight" ones.

I thought I was through with this issue until this weekend, but with the onset of warmer weather, I noticed a strong mold odor in the vehicle. When I pulled up the passenger carpet, I found at least 1/2 inch of water an pretty nasty mold.

I will add that I have had nothing but problems with the transmission as well, and have had both software "Upgrades" applied. The symptoms are that the vehicle waits so long to to downshift, it causes an almost violent two gear change which causes the vehicle to lose traction on snowy roads. Again, borderline unsafe if you ask me. And as I live in VT, this is normal driving conditions for me (snowy and hilly). Thank goodness I have the towing package which enables me to control the top gear manually. I have taken to driving this way exclusively in snowy weather to stay safe. Just the other day, while driving up hill, the transmission was slipping ot of gear and literally, POUNDING, back into gear. I thought the transmission was going to fall out. I timidly drove it to the dealer after adding some transmission fluid, and they stated that the latest software package would resolve this. So far so good, but still in the back of my mind.

I'm on my way to the dealer tomorrow, and will see how it goes.

I will state that if anyone is considering buying a new Traverse, Enclave, or Acadia, you should ask the dealer if these specific issues have been recitifed in the newer models. If not, I would not consider owning one at this time.
    I have been there! My car always smelled moldy since the 'submarine incident'-Not to mention the electrical issues!!
    I spoke to a service manager for GM (off the record) and was told that I should expect more problems in the future. He has seen some pretty consistent and serious issues with the Outlook/Acadia/Traverse/Enclave.
    After my car ran on it's own (without a key), was fixed and it happened again 3 months later, we ditched the car. Took a hit but my family is now safe and sound in a Toyota Highlander.
    We sleep better at night and I am glad we made that choice. I didn't have that many car problems with my first, teenager car I bought for $800!
    Keep posting your issues so that others can be aware and make their decisions accordingly.
    I also posted on the Saturn Outlook Facebook page. I would encourage you to do the same.
    Best of luck to you....
    rgvball,

Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    I hired a attorney to deal with this, being a Realtor and in todays market didn't have the time to spend countless hours on this. After working through the attorney's generals office's with the lemon law they told him that we didn't have a leg to stand on because Saturn filed bankrupcy after I started the claim. Then he had a friend at GM that was going to help and ended up not.
    We traded it in after that and took a horrible loss due to the resale. I am now driving a Tahoe
    (the only reason for that is because my husband wants to be faithful to a US company) but until GM or Saturn steps up and reimburses us for the loss I feel it is only right that I let the public know what problems I had with the outlook.
    It is sad though, I had so many compliments on it .
    We are looking to trade again, the gas mileage is becoming an issue. We bought the Tahoe last summer because I didn't trust taking the Saturn on a family vacation.
    edited April 2011
    lakegal,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? If so, what is your case number? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I don't know if you've read about my numerous efforts at repair to the vehicle, which I purchased in August, 2008. Got the recall notice about drain tubes in Sept, had it "fixed" at Saturn of the Mountain Empire, where I bought it. Since that time, its been at two different dealers a total of 5 more times. For some odd reason, it won't leak at the dealership when they water test it It only leaks when I park it somewhere. Depending on the parked angle, water enters either front or rear, pooling in the front floorboard or the rear storage compartment.

Suburban Chevrolet "fixed" it the last time, and GUARANTEED it wouldn't leak anymore. I'll have to wait for the rainy season to see it that's true. In the meantime, with all my problems and reading all the other blogs, especially GM's apparent position to stonewall the complainants, I can't find much good to say about Saturn nor GM to my many thousands of auto insurance customers.

Bob Post,
    Disenchanted GM Customer
    postonno,

I apologize for the issues you have had with your vehicle. If you have any concerns or questions please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    Ok, It's been a few weeks but here is the latest...

First of all, just so I don't sound vengeful , my local Chevy dealer has been great so far. They have been polite, curteous and genuinely willing to help.

My Outlook was water tested today and the problem seems to be faulty body seals this time as well as the fact that while the drain have been extended and "fixed, according to the manager, the drains are still too short, and the water is actually entering via the afore mentioned poorly sealed body panels.

Well, bad design, and bad craftsmenship = poor quality.

So, they have resealed the panels and will once again will attempt to retrofit the drains.

My follow-up cal with GM customer service is scheduled for tomorrow, and I'm waiting with baited breath to see if they stand up and stand behind their product, or if they don't.

More tomorrow.
  • enm1978enm1978 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2008 Saturn Outlook XR less than 2 months ago with almost 40K miles on it. Researched it well, or so I thought, because I missed this information.

Today there were massive rain storms for hours in the morning. Upon going out for lunch, I noticed water dripping from the plastic place marker that says Airbag on the left upper driver's side, as well as significant leaking on the lower right passenger side in the foot well, and same in the lower left drivers side foot well.

This does not appear to be related to any windows, sunroof/moonroof or doors.

Is this what you experienced when it started? Should I go back to the dealer I purchased from?

I spent way too much money to have this kind of problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    From reading hundreds of complaints about leaking Saturns, the "outlook" for help isn't promising. I filed a complaint with the Institute for Highway Safety, as I feel that these vehicles may not be safe to operate on the roads. Some folks, who bought new, have gotten minimal help from GM, with a trade. I think it may depend on the "Lemon Law" in the state where it was purchased. Most owners, even those with lawyers, seem to get stonewalled, and then offered a pittance to go away. As a second owner, your prospects are probably quite dim. Did you buy from a GM dealer, or from a used car lot.? If a GM dealer, he should have had access to the service records of the car, and may have known about any water leak history. The original warranty is 3/36, so your car is out.

What you have experienced is typical. Depending on how the vehicle is parked, water will run out of the front or rear airbag housings, and also down through the dash. I think what happens is that the drain tubes that are supposed to carry the water away from the channels around the sunroofs are too small, too short, and thus simply inadequate in a heavy rain. Water backs up inside the fiberglass headliner, then finds its way out at the lowest point. As you may have noticed, mine has been in 3 different dealerships at total of 6 times, supposedly "fixed" every time...until the next heavy rain. Right now we're in a drought in FL, and I'm holding my breath for the upcoming rainy season.

Good luck!

Bob Post
  • msibmsib Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Saturn outlook with similar issue. I took the car to the Dealer multiple times and the dealer would just clear the gutter when the car was under warranty. Now the car has major electrical problem and the Dealer want money to fix the car.

I'll post updates as the reports come out. No wonder GM went down under and after eating tax payers money still have no shame. Is this American customer service?
  • bacanbitbacanbit Member Posts: 5
    We purchased our 2007 Outlook XR used in May 2009. Our first leak was around March 2010. We found out the TSB had already been performed but the work had failed. They fixed it again. The next leak occured February 2011 but the dealership could not duplicate it and we were sent on our way. Now it has leaked again on 4/22/11 and we are going back in to the dealership on May 5th. I am so frustrated! They ahs got to be something done about all of these vehicles. We all have the same problem yet GM is not doing anything about it! GM had better pray that the leak can be duplicated and the bill had better be paid by GM! We are out of our warranty period and the dealership is wanting me to pay for the work. This is out of control. :mad:
    What really disturbs me is the apparent disregard by GM for the safety issues that may arise. Owners (including me) have reported water coming out of airbag ports, vehicles that suddenly shut off, others that won't shut off after the key is removed, water dripping down through the dash and fuse panel, etc, etc. I'm sure it would be cheaper to defend the occasional lawsuit from an accident arising out of a claimed defect, than getting involved in some massive recall. Remember the Ford Pinto...and Chevy trucks with sidesaddle fuel tanks??
    bacanbit,

By chance have you contacted GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
  • bacanbitbacanbit Member Posts: 5
    Hi Caron - Yes I have. I have a service request number and I call in everytime I have a leak. I just started the service request this year.

Cherie
  • siboldm2siboldm2 Member Posts: 7
    what so you can offer a years worth of oil changes and tire rotation. I have already been down this path and unless GM has changed its tune about this situation, IT DOES NO GOOD TO CONTACT YOU... I wound up paying out of pocket to have my roof fixed when it had been in the shop multiple times before the waranty expired for the same problem and then to top it off more things have gone wrong since then. Just had to spend over $1000 fixing things that should have never gone wrong on a car that is only 3 years old. The parts on this car are marked up higher than you can imagine. Try to replace an altenator and your going to spend $600 for the part alone and that is with a discount according to my local GM dealership. You can't get any parts for this piece of crap unless you go straight to GM. Basically they have found a way to rip us off yet again.

bacanbit,
    tell them to fill the holes in the roof that the stupid maker forgot to close when they put the car together and GOOD LUCK!
  • siboldm2siboldm2 Member Posts: 7
    I took mine to Champion Chevrolet in Tallahassee last year and I have not had the roof leak since. They tore the interior apart and fixed the problem. We have had some pretty heavy rain and I have even taken it through a car wash to make sure the problem was fixed and I have not had a leak in over a year. Other problems, but no leaks.
    msib,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to set the case up, I will need the VIN, current mileage, complete contact information including a telephone number and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
    siboldm2,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Each case is handled on a case by case basis. If you would like me to look into this please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • haley602haley602 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    I too am having the leaking problems and the resulting electrical problems are an issue as well...

how do I open up a case with GM?
    Cherie,

Could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • krozellkrozell Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I will add to the growing list of issues with the Saturn Outlook leaky roof. I purchased the Saturn new in 2007. I have taken this into my Saturn Dealership several times (while they were still open). Supposedly they put longer tubes in, or would remove debris from the track area. The vehicle has continued to leak when it is out in the rain, and driven in very wet weather. This always happens on the front passenger side, and at time when breaking it would give my wife a shower. This seems to be a common problem, and now wondering where I go with this? Who do I contact? This should be covered under warranty, as the issue was never really fixed in the past. If someone from GMCUSTSRV would email me, I can send you the VIN number, mileage and all the information you need. Just tell me where I can get this fixed. My floor is still wet from from storm last weekend in Wisconsin.

Thanks!

Martin
    haley602,

I would be happy to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to set up the case I will need your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, involved dealership and a description of the issues you are experiencing sent to me in an email. Also, has your vehicle been diagnosed in the past 30 days? I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    If you wish to e-mail another member, click on their member name, and if they wish their e-mail to be public, you will see a link there..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oe_gdanieloe_gdaniel Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased (6 weeks ago) 08 Saturn outlook. The sunroof is leaking and my passenger side floor is SOAKED. We have taken back to the Dealership and are told it is not a recall and we have to pay for the repair. I am not happy!!!
    :mad:
    oe_gdaniel,
    If the vehicle was not a certified used vehicle and you did not purchase a protection plan such as "Major Guard", the expense would be an out of pocket expense. I apologize for any frustration.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jdkv1jdkv1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone can offer any help. Since we purchased our 2007 Saturn Outlook it started leaking inside but not very bad but has gotten worse over the past year. It now is having electrical problems, the headliner is showing stains, the other night I turned the vehicle off, REMOVED the key and the engine kept running!! We tried to take it in for service but the dealer said it was out of warranty and they couldn't work with us and it would be totally on our expense. They said they never heard any problems of this sort... I came home googled to see if it was just our vehicle and found numerous others having problems BUT WHAT CAN WE DO... I have already tried to contact GM customer service with no help either. I am planning on contacting the better business bureau, states attorney general along with anyone else anyone can suggest. We just want someone to work with us to fix this problem which obviously is happening to a lot of other people as well. If this is the kind of service we can expect we will never buy a GM vehicle again and try to let as many others know of this as possible as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.