Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    You're right. The overall shape is very close but I still think I see subtle differences other than the wheels. I guess we really won't know until they remove all the crap and show it to us for real.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    I'm in agreement with Mackabee. I think the middle pic is possibly a Limited and the other 2 are of the same SR5. Truckin' Magazine said the middle picture is a Prado in their article this month, but if you're able to blow the picture up and examine it, the grill and other subtle design cues are identical to the vehicle shown in the other 2 pics. The bottom picture is from last month's Truckin' and the new top pic is from the new Truck Trend, and both call that vehicle the '03 4Runner. I think what's throwing everyone off on those 2 shots is the angle from which they're shot, and the additional rear black cladding that model has that make it appear to be a little different shape. The reason I don't agree with Truckin' that the middle shot is the Lancruiser Prado is that the illustration of the '03 Prado that I have in the same Yahoo! photo album has a different grill and bumper, and the left fender mirror, which is a foreign characteristic. The vehicle in the middle pic has the same grill as the one in the other 2 pics, and is lacking that mirror.

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that all three of these pics are of the new 4Runner in 2 trim levels. I was told by 3 different inside Toyota sources that these vehicles are the new 4Runner, but they wouldn't reveal too much more about the design, except to say that there's no mistaking it for anything other than a 4Runner. So, I'm guessing that it's very possible Toyota is going to further distinguish the Limited and SR5 by having more differentiating design cues, like the bumpers, and more obviously different wheels. If you want to read more about the details from the different insiders, check out the forums on the 4Runner over at http://caranddriver.com and http://roadandtrack.com. They explain things in a little more detail. One of them has even sat in the new 4Runner.

As far as specs on the new 4Runner, there aren't any yet, but all the car magazines are now in agreement that it shares the same platform as the GX. Check out the Truck Trend article that I posted (if you can ever get it to load), as well as any magazine on the shelf, or even their websites, and it's confirmed that they share the new platform, along with the up-dated Landcruiser Prado for over-seas. I've also had this confirmed by the same 3 inside Toyota sources. For specs on the GX, check out http://www.suv.com.

Aggiedog, I couldn't agree more. These are pics of the new 4Runner, whether anyone believes it or not. So let's wait for the black-out crap to come off and see if we like what we see. Why is Toyota tormenting us so?!!!
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    The top and bottom pictures seem to have a really overblown rear end compared to the middle one. I think the middle picture looks more proportional (and looks better too, as much as can be seen anyway), but it seems like the rear would be more like the GX470 (looking at the slope of the rear end).
  • hookbahookba Member Posts: 7
    As I looked carefully at these pictures, I think what I'm seeing is a lot of disguise panels over the body. For example, look at the edges of the doors, and the cutout over the gas filler. I don't think the pics give us much idea what it'll really look like.

I talked to a salesman who had been to LA for some hush hush update. He wouldn't talk much about it except to say what we've heard before: that it'll look a lot different and it'll have more power. He also said we could look for the LandCruiser to be phased out (I didn't ask him re the PRADO). He also intimated that there might be some sort of reverse sticker shock, like there was when one of the Camrys came out, where they actually reduced the price. I kind of doubt it. I mean why would they? They can't keep them on the showroom floor!

The current 4Runner is made in Japan, right? Does anyone know whether the next one will be made at the Tundra plant here in the US? This would give us a clue as to the engine at least. It would also allow greater volume, and possibly lower prices.
  • vicarouzavicarouza Member Posts: 18
    From carefully observing the three spy pics above and from religiously observing Toyota's past, I am very much inclined to believe that the top most and bottom most pictures are indeed the new 2003 4 Runner (Toyota's more CURVY North America-oriented designs). By contrast, the middle picture, on VERY CAREFUL OBSERVATION, is quite a bit more "boxier" and has a very close resemblance to the CURRENT Japanese PRADO, leading me to believe it's the next gen Prado for Japan. (I very seriously doubt Toyota would make THAT much of a difference in body style between different versions of the SAME MODEL).......In short I firmly believe the middle pic is the Japanese Prado, while the top and bottom are a GENERIC 4 Runner (c'mon guys, the vehicle is in it's "testing phase" as seen here. They're not going to be testing a Limited model and an SR5 model etc. - it's just A 4RUNNER for now, until it hit's showrooms in it's various trim levels) - different trim levels, when the vehicle actually comes out usually encompass minor exterior garnishments (two-tone, bodycolor cladding etc.) - Of course, this time around there's an optional V8, but I still don't think they'd go out testing an EXACT TRIM LEVEL, but more simply they'd test a V8 4Runner and a V6 4Runner
    ......it looks like the rear passenger is is seated slightly higher than the front passenger (stadium style seating??)....also if you observe carefully, he has a smug grin on his face :)
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    The 2003 4Runner will be made in Japan.
  • neb5neb5 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone for keeping this discussion growing. My question is about what appears to be language used in advertising called incentives. Question what is the definition of cashback? I know what I thought if meant but now I am not so sure. Reason on a website I was surfing, I thought I read that if a dealer offers cashback in the amount of say $1500 that $1500 is added into the price of the vehicle, making the price higher. Am I confused, that is what the example used showed. Further, if I am in position to purchase my next vehicle let's say November but decide that I would like the 2002 instead of the new version what is the likely hood that I could still find them on dealers lots?
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Cash back means the mfg. is offering money off the standard msrp. It means that the dealer may try to hold onto their margins or use the cash to help with the trade value. If Toyota offers $4500 off (like they did last year) you were pretty much getting it at cost (near abouts).

Will you find '02 in November, very unlikely, but hey you never know. The '03 is due out in September sometime so you may not see '02 that late. My guess is if you find one on the lot and the new one as well make an offer you may be surprised.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    All 3 pictures are of the 2003 4runner.

: )

Mackabee
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    I bought a 2001 last October(thanks to Cliffy's help!!!), paid $500 over invoice, but got the $1500 cash back incentive. The only thing I had to pay, was the sales tax on the original($500 over invoice) amount before the $1500 was deducted. My total(before sales tax) was $26,700 for a SR5 4x4. What I ended up with was $1000 under invoice(more or less).

Hey, how wide is the 2003 going to be?
    This has also been a MAJOR concern of mine!!....I currently own a 2001 SR5 4WD and one of it's greatest assets is its MANUVERABLILITY because of it's tight dimensions (especially width) - parking is also a breeze and so are those narrow trails when going to that "secluded" spot the 4 Runner can take you.

IMHO, I think that the current 4 Runner is a tad bit narrow (cramped) for comfort and I'd like to see it a bit wider (for stability as well)......but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that they don't make it TOO WIDE like that Acura MDX - 77 inches(what were those guys thinking??????)Currently the 4 Runner 68 inches wide and rumor has it that it will be about 4 inches wider -72inches (HOPE THIS IS TRUE, cause anything wider would make it practically useless on the trails, and it would lose it's nimble fun-to-drive factor and it's precious manuverability)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    how the new redesigned 4Runner will fare in the marketplace, once it debuts. I have no question that it will be an excellent vehicle, but I have serious doubts with the advent of all the new IRS-fold-flat-3-row-seating SUVs, as to whether it has the "stuff" to win the "showroom battles."

No question, for those who need the extra off-road and towing capability, the 4Runner will be an excellent choice. Although the new '03 Expedition offers those capabilities too; and offers IRS, 3-row seating, and I've seen several XLT-trim models with sticker prices just above $37K.

Granted, the Expedition is more likely to be compared to a Sequoia, but still, it's food for thought...

Bob
  • texasappraisertexasappraiser Member Posts: 16
    What is the typical mpg of a 1996-newer 4runner with 4banger and auto, and V6 and auto. How much difference if any, does 2WD vs. 4WD make? Thanks, Lance.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Maybe, but the Expedition & Explorer both have fairly cheezy interiors. IRS & 3rd row seating isn't everything, especially when it comes to reliability.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I think the mileage difference is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 mpg. The 4 cynl. has to work a little harder due to less torque to pull the saame weight. I'm sure Cliffy would have actual specs for you on that.
  • dmason56dmason56 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy my 16 yr old a first vehicle. A buddy has a '92 4Runner w/about 100k miles. Do you think it would be a good first vehicle? Ease of driving? Durability? Etc......Thanks for your input.
  • texasappraisertexasappraiser Member Posts: 16
    This is a good first vehicle. Get the VIN and check service records with a Toyota dealership as your next step. Lance.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Think of it as the manufacturer paying part of your down payment. That is exactly what is happening.
  • lindaf4lindaf4 Member Posts: 3
    I will be trading my 92 soon and have 2 questions.
    1. What should I expect to get for it? I have only 50,000 actual miles on it and I'm the original owner. Other than a worn spot on the leather upholstery and a small dent in the back, it's in perfect condition.

2. Should I wait for the 03 or try for a good deal on this year's model? Hubby is pushing me to get a Lexus, but I've been ecstatically happy with the Toyota. What do you think?
    I would fill out the Edmunds TMV information for a used '92 4Runner, which takes things like mileage, condition, color, and options into consideration. Personally, with a small dent in it, I would consider it "near mint" condition, not "mint" condition, when filling out the on-line form. Edmunds is usually right on if you're honest about the way your form is filled out. I filled it out for my truck, went into a dealer to have it appraised, and Edmunds was dead on.

As far as waiting for the '03 Runner, that's exactly what I'm doing. If you have time to skim some of the posts over the last month or so on this board, you'll get a good idea for the pros and cons of the '02 vs the '03. To sum it up, if you aren't concerned about additional power, more roomy interior, or improved ergonomics, then the current 4Runner is for you. If those things that are lacking in the '02 bother you, then wait until September. It's not that far away. The new model will have a 245 hp/283 lbs/ft V6 and an optional 235 hp/320 lbs/ft V8 (standard in the Limited), and is about 5" longer, 4.5" wider, and 3 to 5" taller, with a much-improved interior with optional navigation and DVD systems. If cost is an issue, the word is that Toyota is going to actually cut the price of the 4Runner slightly, by offering more packaged options. Supposedly, they're trying to get the 4Runner closer to it's roots as being an affordable off-roader, while making it more competitive with the Xterra.

I personally was unimpressed with the 4Runner in the fall of '97, when I ordered my '98 Jimmy 4x4 instead. I recently drove a 2002, and while there have been some improvements over the last couple of years, I was still unimpressed. Especially when there are so many SUVs out there with more power and nicer interiors. From the looks of the Lexus GX470 that the new 4Runner is based on, and the spy photos I have posted, I think the '03 is going to be WELL WORTH THE WAIT.

If your husband is pushing you toward Lexus, but you like the 4Runner, then the new GX470 would satisfy both of your needs, but you'll have to wait until November for that, and pay a little more for it. I think it's an awesome-looking, incredible SUV, at least on paper.

If you don't want to scroll up to find the links to pictures of the Lexus and '03 4Runner spy shots I posted, let me know and I'll post them again for you. Hope all this helps! -TB
  • norwesternernorwesterner Member Posts: 94
    My crystal ball is a little foggy today but consider this: There will still be 2002's available when the 2003's come out. Toyota would like to see them all gone on the introduction of 2003's but it's not likely. If they run out of 2002's too soon they have nothing to sell in that category, if they have too much inventory they'll have to discount to get rid of them when the new model comes out. You can only hope they have too many and the discounts are good but at least you can compare when the 2003's come out and make a more informed decision. The reason Toyota isn't giving out information on the 2003's is because they don't want to loose sales on the 2002's. I was about to set down 40 large on a Sequoia but I decided to wait to check out the new 4Runner, more interior space, V8, better resale. I say wait.

Here's a link to Kelley Blue Book. It will give you a ball park on the value of your current vehicle.

http://www.kbb.com/

Kelly Blue Book is also a great source for comparison, but I've found Edmunds to be more accurate. Here's a link to the '92 4Runner info to fill out:
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/toyota/4runner/index.html
    When I clicked "post message" then went up to re-read it, your's showed up at the same time, we must have posted in the same minute. It is interesting we both had the same thoughts about waiting for the new vehicle. I also drove the 4Runner (2002) and very quickly decided it was not the one for me. Too cramped and not real comfortable to drive for my size. I'm hoping the new model will be a big improvement to an already well liked vehicle. I'd prefer the larger Sequoia (4200 lb boat to pull) but my wife will be driving this vehicle most of the time and would like something a bit smaller and easier to park, etc. This may be a great unit for both of us.
    I just ran a 99 Q45 through both Kelley and Edmunds. The private party to private party value came out $3000 higher on Kelley. Not an exact science I guess.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I must have missed that picture link. Could you post it again?

Thanks for the info. I did the Edmonds estimate and was pleasantly surprised. Obviously, I keep my cars a long time so I'm pretty rusty at the trade in thing.

Only thing is, it looks like I'll have to forego the tailgate in favor of the lift. Don't know how I'll adapt to that, but I guess time will tell.
    Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the market lately. The 02's will be gone by the time the 03's get here. There have been huge discounts, rebates and low apr on the 02's for the last 6 months. Our latest allocation of 02 4runners is quite small, I say they will start building the 03's around the middle of July. Those boats they put them in in Japan take a while to get here. And we still have the Sequoia, Highlander, Rav4 and Landcruiser to choose from. The supply of those is getting low too.

Mackabee
    Sounds like a company man to me. Your crystal ball must be clearer than mine. Time will tell won't it now, Mr. Obvious.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually he is a "company man" - check his profile. Mackabee has been around Town Hall for a long time (it'd be ~18 years if edmunds had been online back then). I don't think he was trying to be snippy, but he can drive you bonkers at times when he doesn't finish his stories.

:-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Here are the links for you:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R26012701

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R27032701

If you click on "Automotive" at the top either page, you get a choice of pics within the photo album, one of which is the GX470 photo collection.

Enjoy! -TB
    Now if you just make that decision for me....
    I wasn't trying to be "snippy" just stating the facts. And there's only one story I haven't finished. It will get finished eventually.. maybe it will get turned into a sitcom, I don't know yet.

Mackabee
  • newgradnewgrad Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys, thanks again for the advice on my A/C. They sprayed it with mold killer and the smell is gone!! However, now I have another problem that I've recently noticed. The rubber/plastic trim around the driver/passenger side windows is fading rapidly. Black has now faded into large spots of gray. Has anyone else experienced this problem? What can I do to restore the trim to it's original glory or is this a problem that I should bring to the attention of Toyota and have them fix since it's still under warranty??? Thanks in advance...
    It depends on what may have caused the fading. Have you run your truck through a car wash with the foam wax? I had the same thing happen to my Jimmy's trim and side mirror plastic after running it through a no-touch wash with the multi-colored foam wax. Needless to say I don't go to that wash any more. I was able to restore the rubber trim and plastic mirror housings by using McGuire's wax. I had to rub the rubber for a while, but I was eventually successful. I haven't had to do that since it happened over a year ago.

If that's not the case, and it's fading in the sun, or for some other reason, then I would definitely have Toyota replace the trim under warranty. You can try to restore it the same way I did mine, but once something like that happens due to sun or acid rain damage, chances are you'll have to do it again periodically, which would be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], in my opinion. Better to have it done right.

Since I don't own a 4Runner yet (can't wait till September!!), I may be way off base, and some of the other Toyota aficionados may be able to give you a better answer. Hope I helped though. Good luck! -TB
  • bigjoe5bigjoe5 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for advice on purchasing a used 4Runner !!
    1998 >> 2001. Seeing how the prices are a little too high for some of these 4Runners. Does anyone recommend purchasing or think that prices will drop since Toyota has redesigned it ???

Should I wait a few months ?

Your suggestions are welcome, thanks.
    Which year and what trim level (sr5 or ltd) are you looking for? Right now with the incentives on the 02's you can pick one up at invoice or below.

Mackabee
  • ckmccoy5ckmccoy5 Member Posts: 24
    I have a question about the 4Runner: My 98 Limited is in great condition EXCEPT for a trashed console - specifically the black pieces which run between the front seats on up into the dash. Questions: Can these be replaced by me (decent skills with hand tools)? Any clue on parts cost and install costs from/by the dealer? Where can I order these type of parts online? Many thanks -love the forum - and the truck.
  • 4runner2wd4runner2wd Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where i can buy jumper cables for my 2000 toyota 4runner 2wd. I live in the Houston area 1-10 west and wilcrest.
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2001 4Runner SR5. The two additional cigarrette lighters that are used for say cell phone charging are not working. I verified with my car where I stuck the charger and it worked. I suspect the fuse has blown. I looked underneath the driver side panel and could not figure out which one it is (fuse that is). There were a bunch of them clearly marked except this one. Also there were some that I couldn't understand what they were. Maybe it was one of them. I didn't feel like pulling them out one by one and looking at the actual fuse. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • bigjoe5bigjoe5 Member Posts: 2
    Basically a fully loaded SR5 with the hood scoop. Or a Limited depending on the deal.

Thanks,

Joe
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Have you checked under the hood at the fuse box that's located over by the air filter??
    Yes I have. Nothing is really clear about the outlets. Also, just called my mechanic; He was clueless and this is the Toyota Dealership. One more thing, all the interior lights work. Aren't they all on the same fuse?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The cigarette lighter is on the same fuse as the radio. The more likely culprit is your cell phone charger. If you look inside the hole, you will see two prongs that provide tension and contact points. Use of a cell phone charger flattens these down. Every time you pull it out, it gets pushed back farther into its recesses until finally, it wont work at all.

Can you tell this has happened to me? The fix is to take a small metal hook (I used a fish hook that I bent with pliers) and pull those contact pieces out. Once I did that, the lighter and charger worked like new.
    Yes I have. Nothing is really clear about the outlets. Also, just called my mechanic; He was clueless and this is the Toyota Dealership. One more thing, all the interior lights work. Aren't they all on the same fuse?
    In my area a fully loaded SR5 sport edition (hood scoop) will run you around invoice $29,791 less rebate of $1500 or low financing, a Limited 4wd will go for around $34,879.00 less rebate or low financing.

Mackabee
  • tilertiler Member Posts: 15
    It might be easier and cheaper to cover that black plastic with a wood or carbon kit.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Does the outlet in the trunk area work??
    Did you look in your owner's manual at the fuse configuration? My GMC manual has photos of both fuse boxes (dash side & under hood), and has all the fuses labeled. This was very helpful when my electronic 4WD shift stopped allowing me to change from 4Hi to 4Lo on a trail one time. I was able to change the fuse out a couple of times to get me through the trail, until I could take it in to be fixed under warranty. I would have never been able to figure out which fuse it was without pulling each one, if it wasn't for my owner's manual.

My wife had that same problem with the cell phone charger in her car, but it was due to what cliffy1 mentioned. I bent the prongs out to where they should have been, and it was fine again.
    Here's the latest from vixster, a Toyota insider on another forum:

"The SR5-V6 w/ the Sport Pkg. will be equipped as follows:
    P265/65R17 raised white letter tires, 17" alloy wheels, X-Reas suspension system, larger front disc brakes, Hood Scoop, silver painted roof-rack, metallic accents, color-keyed mirrors, sport badging, foglamps, automatic headlights, security system, garage door opener, tilt/telescopic leather steering wheel, two-tone sport seat fabric, power moonroof, 10 speaker JBL AM/FM/CD/CASS and rear seat audio, fender flares, auto-climate control, aux. rear heater, privacy glass, towing package w/hitch, multi-information display, power group and cruise control.

As you can see, there will be a long list of standard features on the new Runner, it's just too bad we won't get the new V6 'til late Dec."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY can't wait until September now!!! I'll take one in black, please... :^D