Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rondo Owner Reports

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
How is your Rondo performing?
Tagged:

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    to start this thread off by giving my impressions on the 2.4L engine. I have now covered over 10,600 km (6500 miles for our US cousins) and extremely pleased with its power and economy. It accelerates onto freeways without hesitation and lots of power to pass at 100-110kmph (60-65mph) It has that typical four cylinder idle if you listen carefully but its quiet.
    It is very economical for its size and my mileage has ranged from a low of 26mpg (imperial gallons) in the dead of winter to a high recently of 39mpg with my average in the 31 - 32mpg range.
    The transmission is smooth and kicks down nicely for passing. The steptronic manual shift availability is terrific (and easy to use) and is a real help in driving in bad winter conditions.
    I cannot speak more highly of the combination of the two. Some people have wished it was a 5 speed but so far I can't see the point, unless of course it give improved fuel mileage and not simply just an extra gear.

2008 Rondo EX, 5-seater, 2.4L, Aqua Silver with gray interior
    Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
  • ramblinmoramblinmo Member Posts: 38
    Spent $680 to replace the AC condenser after it was punctured by a rock. Two front wheel alignments in the last 5 months with a hefty adjustment each time. Drivers seat kills my back without a pillow in place. All the glass is nice until you cook for days on end under the hot sun on long trips. Beige interior seems to stain easily.

Love the way it drives, love the better fuel economy over the Sedona van. Love the cargo space. Driving through the mountains recently with the 4 cylinder was a struggle at times, but I'll take the economy over the 6 cylinder. Where I live mountain driving isn't an issue.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a 4 cylinder Camry. That is not really an option as even with a hefty down payment I would take such a hit on the trade in that it would not be worth it.
  • garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    First, thanks, Karen, for starting this thread, and trying to end the warfare over at Mazda5 vs. Rondo.

Encapsulating various other posts I've made since taking delivery in October 2007, I have been nothing but impressed with my Rondo LX I-4. Very good mpg (25 mpg average), a very smooth & quiet ride, great visibility, great room/functionality/versatility, about the smoothest braking I've ever experienced.

I had been a bit disappointed in the car's acceleration, but got a little boost in that by switching air filters. The fabric seats do tend to take on stains easily, but I've gotten every stain out, basically USING just water.

One thing I've noticed is that the engine bay tends to gather an inordinate amount of debris/dust. If you are one that isn't so anal, that's a non-issue. But I am fussy and like to keep the engine bays in all my cars clean. There must be something with the front end (lower front end?) design of the car that allows road grit/debris to enter.

That's about it. Love the Rondo!
  • emrondoemrondo Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I bought a Rondo in Sept. ' 07. I like the car, but....There is NO storage at all! I have 5 kids. Fits them all perfectly, however, they forgot to add trunk space! I can't even put a stroller inside the car !! I didn't realize it until after I bought the car! YIKES! Also, I'm on my 3rd warranty issue! First the Oxygen sensor had to be replaced, then the sway bar, and now I have to bring it back in for the speed sensor! I'm wondering what else is going to go wrong! So far the dealership has covered all expenses, but what a huge incovienence! I've noticed that sometimes when I put gas in the car, the check engine light goes on, it's very picky about how you tighten the cap. So you have to open the gas cap and re close it often to get the check engine light to go off. As far as the light tan entierer, well yes it's going to show dirt/stains.........but it does seem to clean easy. I purchased a black leather car bra when I bought the car, and it really makes the Kia Rondo look pretty classy! Shop around, between two Kia deaerlships, the difference in price for the car bra was about $30.
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    My wife and I bought a 2007 Rondo EX V6 Luxury in August. It has been the best vehicle we have ever owned, waaaay better than the lemon Honda Civic we once owned, any of my Fords, my Dodge, my Chevy and even better than our beloved 1998 Legacy Brighton wagon, which we traded on the Rondo.
    We cross-shopped a Mazda5 but found it too sparse inside (too cold and uninviting) plus it was not rated to tow at all (so said the owner's manual). But we did like it's 5 speed manual and sporty nature.
    The Rondo won out for us, due to it's unbeatable combination of safety features, practicality, efificiency, pleasant exterior (classy even, with our Urban Grey) and so so useful interior.
    Emrondo notes that it has no room for his 5 kids AND cargo. He should not have bought a Rondo (or M5 or Dodge Journey) if he needed to carry so many people and cargo. That's what a mini-van is for.
    However, the Rondo excels at carrying 2 adults/2 kids/a load of cargo OR 2 adults and 4 or 5 kids without cargo. Example - my wife and I, with our 2 kids, have lots of room for traveling with a load of gear, and on rainy days I can pick up the 2 kids and their 2 friends from school by utilizing the 3rd row seat.
    Our Rondo has needed no attention from the dealer - zero, zip, nada. The check engine light was frequent during the 1st month we had the Rondo, but we learned to twist the gas cap 3 clicks, not just 1, and the CEL did not show again.
    We have the grey leather, and it wipes clean with just a damp cloth. Great for hauling the kids around.
    We love the V6/5sp auto combo (sure wish we could get a manual trans though) and the fuel economy has been exceptional - 33 mpg per Imperial gallon on the highway (with the 4 of us, a load of stuff, and cruise on at 115 km/h). Around town, we consistently get 24-25 mpg Imperial, and could get more if I would stop doing jackrabbit starts...
    So far, we have not towed anything, as we have been waiting on a hitch from our dealer for almost 3 months (!). Tow rating is 2,000 lbs with a trailer hitch. Oddly, the European Carens version is rated to tow higher.
    We have found that the A/C does not really blow cold, but rather cool, just like our Legacy wagon. I have had to add a piece of carpet to the cargo area, since the grey carpet there is just too light in colour to carry any cargo without risk of staining. And the ABS is too intrusive in the winter, even with our studded winter tires installed.
    Overall, we love it and enjoy it. Currently, it has 15,000 kms and is due for it's second oil change any day now. Smooth, really quiet on the highway, decent ride, good handling for a tall car, safe, great warranty, decent price, practical, efficient, organized, flexible, reliable, well-built, comfortable and good-looking.
    What else can I say! A much better vehicle than the Mazda 5, I think.
    With all due respect, you have 5 kids, and you didn't figure out, pre-purchase, that using the third seat would mean no trunk space?
    I was thinking the same thing garnermike, just before reading your comment.
  • eric51eric51 Member Posts: 4
    :mad: We just bought a Kia Rondo. Wish we hadn't. Anytime we drive the car it makes a noise like the window is cracked. Took it to the dealership to be fixed. After speaking with Kia and the Dealership we were told that all Kia Rondo's make this noise. The car was advertised as a quiet well insulated ride, but Kia has told us that this noise is designed into the vehicle. It makes no sense to me. Stay away from this car unless you like loud whistling noises. :lemon:
    ..."like the window is cracked"? You mean "cracked open"?

My Kia is the quietest car I've ever owned. Riders I take in it remark especially on that point.
    something seriously wrong and not normal, my Rondo is very quiet at all speeds.

You didn't say specifically where the noise is coming from and at what speeds it happens? There is procedures in your warranty manual to follow if you are not happy with the results from your dealer.
    As this forum is poor for info we don't know whether you are in the US or Canada?

I think they are "cracked" if they say the noise is designed into the vehicle. Makes no sense to me either. Also if they are saying this, exactly what specific thing are they referring too?

I should also add that I am on a few forums and this is the first reference to this problem I've come across.

2008 Rondo EX 2.4L
    Ontario, Canada
  • newkiaguy1newkiaguy1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    Happy new purchasers of a Kia Rondo. (You can see my other post on the "buying experienc" board.
    BUT... there is a wind noise coming from both the driver's and passenger's side windows, audible at speeds > 50 mph (and sometime less).
    I took it into the dealer and they said, unfortunately, that it is typical. I had rented a Rondo that did not exhibit this problem so I challenged them to take me on a test drive of a Rondo that was sitting on their sales lot. It ALSO had this issue.
    I wonder how many customers need to speak up before Kia takes action? The service tech told me that Kia would not ever do a recall unless it was forced to, so they are probably "laying low" and hoping it will fade away.

This is not a deal killer for me...I still like the Kia. But it does mean that the radio will need to be on when I'm on the highway. :-(
    No such wind noise from the windows on mine.
    Some auto writer reviews of the Rondo that I have read have stated that there is more than average "wind rush" noise from the side windows. I actually listened for it on my test drive, but didn't really detect it. Perhaps I am not noticing because the Rondo generally drives so much more quietly than my Vibe and Miata......
    We bought our Kia in Maine. For us the noise begins at 30 mph. It is difficult to tell where the noise is really coming from. The technicians at the dealership couldn't figure it out. They had to file with Kia's head office for direction. It sounds like it is coming in through the seal at the top of the window. The noise is a high pitch wind noise. Kia's claim is that the noise is generated by wind passing by the driver and passenger outside mirrors. Moving the mirrors or turning them in doesn't change the noise. They stand by their claim that the vehicle is designed to do that. Unfortunately they don't stand behind their product. I have a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty that isn't worth the paper it is written on. I would not recommend a Kia to anyone. Customer service is difficult to deal with. They don't return calls or have any follow through. It took three months of weekly calls for them to put their decision in writing. I have contacted an attorney and the better business bureau. I believe the noise is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage. I am going to purchase a decibel meter and find out. I bought the Rondo for transporting children. Poor design is no excuse for poor customer service. Kia knows there is a problem but it is cheaper to ignore it and tell unbelievable lies to explain away their mistakes. More disappointed with the response of the company than the car. This problem started the minute we drove off the lot. If they design problems intentionally into the car I can only imagine how much time the car will spend in the shop.
    Yes like the window is cracked open or not sealed properly. Very annoying any time we go over 30mph. It is loud enough to be heard over the radio.
  • vannervanner Member Posts: 47
    Our '07 EX is so quiet it's sometimes annoying! Honestly, we and others riding in it always remark about the silence, especially for a vehicle in this price range.

Now, I gots ta ask: Do those of you with wind noise issues have your crossbars mounted on your racks? I do not.

Any of you with whisper-quiet ones using the crossbars?

The reason I ask is I have had two vehicles that made just obnoxious noises when the crossbars were mounted. With our '05 Sedona, there was a certain spacing or position of the bars that was very quiet, and some made it noisier then a small jet. Took some playing around.

There will be no "recall" on noise issues like this because recalls are for SAFETY issues! They issue recalls when parts fail or fall off or systems act out in ways that cause accidents, or could. Otherwise you have a quality issue, and that may or may not fall under warranty. My bet is it will not since there is no claim made about noise levels.

Yes, I know, there are claims made about fuel economy and we all know there are vehicles that don't meet these claims. BUT - the manufacturer boldly advertises and boldly claims that some drivers may NOT get this economy and some vehicles under some conditions may not as well.
    Our 07 EX V6 Luxury does not have the crossbars and is VERY quiet at highway speeds. It's quietness is one of the top reasons why we bought it.
    We took a vacation two wks ago and rented a 2008 Town and Country with crossbars (but did not actually use the rack). Now that was a vehicle whose crossbars made an annoying noise!
    We do have the crossbars on. I will have to play around with them to see if that eliminates the noise. I hope so. That would be a great relief.
    Thank you for the tip. I will let you know how it turns out.
    Eric51,
    Have you been able to eliminate the noise? Did you remove the crossbars?
  • newkiaguy1newkiaguy1 Member Posts: 5
    The wind noise that *I* hear is from the windows, and definitely not from the crossbars (as my cars doesn't have any).

This just might be a design flaw. In recent weeks, I rented a Sedona and that one's window noise was also bad. Our neighbor tells us their Spectrum (or whatever the little car is called) "leaks" on the highway too.

I think part of the thing here depends what kind of car you currently drive---we have a Toyota that is really quiet and our Rondo is annoying by comparison. So, if you are used to a truck, then the Rondo is fine. OR...it could be that only some Rondos have this problem.

The car is whisper quiet at lower speeds. I suggest any prospective buyer should really test it out thoroughly on the highway before deciding on this car.
    I owned a Subaru Legacy for 9 yrs before the Rondo, a Mitsu Galant before that, a Honda before that, and so on, but I have never owned a truck. So I can't compare a truck with a car.

My 91 Civic Si was maddenly loud on the highway, the Mitsu was fairly quiet, the Legacy (a wagon) was fairly quiet, but the Rondo is really quiet.

I guess, like you say, it is a matter of "some Rondos have this problem". The 07 Caravan I test drove was quite loud at speed, and the 07 Mazda 5 was a bit noisy too. But a friend's M5 is almost as quiet as the Rondo, and I have ridden in fairly quiet Caravans.

Maybe it is a difference between a 4 cyl/4 speed Rondo versus a 6 cyl/5 speed Rondo? Mine is the V6 with 5 speed.
  • rmacarthurrmacarthur Member Posts: 5
    I see lots on Rondo performance and mpg but nothing on how effective the heater is in such a large vehicle. Since I live in Oklahoma where air conditioning is a must how good is the air conditioner in this large interior? Having had an old 80 model Subaru wagon with one of the most pitiful airconditioners ever made I would like some of you folks to dwell on effectiveness of both the heater and the airconditioner because, like the Subaru, there is a lot of space to heat or cool and down here we have extremes of both. Also ease of operation of both as well as all accessories. What I am looking at is the every day operating stuff not just mpg. Switchgear quality and all that. Thanks for the practical operational stuff.
  • telesavetelesave Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2007 rondo that i am happy with, EXCEPT that find the heater and air conditioning inadequate.

..takes too long to warmup/cooldown, and doesn't really get cold on v hot days or toasty warm on v cold days.

i have a 04 sienna minivan (with a much larger interior) that is much better than my rondo wrt warmup/cooldown.

mark
    Am in NC where 90-100 degree days are common May - Sept. Rondo A/C does just fine. Our winters are likely not as cold as OKLA's, but heater seems to be more than adequate.
    here in southern Ontario, Canada - I have used my Rondo over two winters and have no problem with the heater, heats up quick and provides lots of heat, but while I'm waiting I just turn on the heated seat which works fast and can feel it within 1 km from turning it on. It feels so good and goes right up to my shoulder blades as well as warmer your seat - one of the best features on this car. Also on the subject of heat, the heated side mirrors work very efficiently and fast and also the wiper de-icer is great in iced up conditions.

I haven't had to use the a/c as much as people in some of these southern hot locations but from what I've used it functions very well. Also the controls to operate these feature are easy to use and straight forward. I've just recently had all the windows tinted which will help in this area too.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    are you a fan of Ontario's Tragically Hip? They are indeed my 3rd favorite rock band of all time. Singer/writer Gordon Downie is a poetic genius and songwriting genius as well. Love 'em!

Are you still loving your Kia Rondo? Planning on any new car purchases in the near future at all?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• larrytbmlarrytbm Member Posts: 10
    I can't really comment about the heater since we just bought it in March, but the AC is great. Living in Tx, I insisted on light exterior and interior colors and I have added window tint, but not the real dark limo tint. Anyway, around town, like any car parked for a while, it does take some time to cool down. But on long trips it works too good. Last trip in mid to upper 90s, I could not keep the AC on Max, it was too cold even with a fan speed of 2 or 3. Also had to close off the vent nearest the steering wheel to keep my hands from getting too cold.

I really like the large dead pedal for my left foot, best on any car I have owned. I also like the gas filler button being on the driver's door rather than buried low under the dash. Overall layout of the controls is good, everything in ez reach. Only thing lacking is front seat oversized cup holders that can handle a large insulated cup, but most cars have that problem.
    don't know much about the Tragically Hip, I'm afraid not my type of music - to each his own.

The Rondo is great, its just turned over 30,000 km and I've owned it for nearly 20 months, so no plans for any changes for a long time to come. Will be taking it on a 14,000 km trip in less than two weeks.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I bet you're excited to take your baby on a long trip. I recently flew from Tucson to Seattle and rented a 2009 Toyota Camry. Nice car, but a bit boring to drive and the car "floats" with it's soft suspension. I found myself hitting Washington state "zipstrips" near the foglines constantly. But I can see why people like the Camry-it is a quiet and "safe" feeling car. I felt good taking two of my sisters to go see Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings of Guess Who fame in Kelowna, B.C. on Saturday the 20th of June. Great show, but about as important was the safe ride there from the Okanagon, WA, area to Kelowna, B.C. and back. It's a well-made midsize car worthy of plenty of commendation.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• go59go59 Member Posts: 9
    When changing the oil & filter on my '08 2.7, I discovered that Kia had made an change (in the middle of the model year) requiring a different oil filter than what was listed in the Purolator book. Anyone have any idea what, other than the oil filter, changed on the engine?

Thanks,

Greg
  • leochenleochen Member Posts: 1
    We just got our new Rondo. Although I can hear some wind noise coming from the side mirrors at highway speeds, it's far from being an annoyance. It's there if you really listen for it, it's very small, it's not a problem in my opinion.

I won't say that the car is absolutely quiet and noiseless as some people state. Don't get me wrong, the car is very quiet, but you can definitely hear the engine working leaving from a stop, even at mild acceleration. It's not a luxury car after all.

So far, we've been quite happy with the car. The ride is comfortable, it has tons of space and features. Nothing to complain about.
  • ofionnachtaofionnachta Member Posts: 36
    Our first Dodge Caravan made incredible wind noise if we drove over anour 40 & it was raining or the weather was even damp, much less raining. If heavy rain, it screamed like harpies. That's what we called it, the Harpies.

We just put up with it. It didn't happen all the time, only for rain. The next one was from the next generation, no noise.

I think with the Rondo, they did not test for wind noise. Maybe next time, they will
    All car companies do. It's what their engineers find as acceptable that matters.

Sorry, but my '07 LX is as quiet a car as I have ever owned (and many of those were new ones). If there is a strong crosswind while driving at highway speeds, some wind noise occurs, but not enough to drive one to distraction.

IMHO, for a $16K car, the Rondo is smooth, quiet and relatively refined. Just turned 21K miles, and yesterday remarked to my bride that the car is the very best investment in a car I've made...ever! Averaging 26 all-purpose mpg now; it fits my band gear; and never back to the dealer for any reason, over 2 years.
    Maybe Kia has hard of hearing engineers! : -- )

As long as it hasn't got harpies, I wouldn't mind. I am more concerned about the darn headrest that bops me right at the part of my head that sticks out farthest.
  • richwoodrichwood Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2009 Kia Rondo with the 6 cyl engine.I keep having problems with the coils going bad,I feel there is a short but the dealer just keeps changing the coil and telling me theres nothing they can do.My warranty runs out soon,has anyone else expierienced this problem.I know when its going bad because the engine starts to falter like it doesn't want to run Thanks for any help
    Richwood,
    We have an 07 V6. Our rear bank's coil went bad in Feb 2009 with less than 35,000 kms. The dealer had not seen a bad Rondo coil before and hoped to take one from a V6 Magentis (Optima in the US) which they had on their lot but they were slightly different. So one was ordered from Kia (probably all the way from Korea). It took a week to arrive and just a morning to install. All warranty, of course. Our dealer supplied a loaner for the entire period.
    The problem did not occur again. The Rondo now has over 60,000 km and has been fantastically reliable.
  • richwoodrichwood Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your reply,I had the dealer change mine around 50,000 miles and it just happened again around 53,000 miles,thats why i was thinking something was shorting it out.But since no computer readings the dealer won't look any further
    I had the AC compressor clutch replaced $385 I think for parts and labor. After complaining about the frequency of front end alignments and the fact that I am on my 4th set of tires, they said that they could slot the control arms on the rear to get it within alignment specifications. I managed to not get mad and told them I wished they had discovered that two sets of tires ago. We will see if it works.

Also have had the dealer replace both headlights that have burned out this year and had them fix some marker lights on the front that were out.

The Rondo has been a decent vehicle. I wouldn't buy one again though. I'm not in a car buying mood, so I might be driving this vehicle for a long time. I'm planing on having the 90,000 mile service done at another dealer that I trust more than the Kia dealer. They do it for about 1/2 the cost that Kia charges.
    Not saying that your problems didn't happen nor that you may not have gotten a particular Ronda that has developed issues for whatever reasons. But I am in just the opposite frame of mind as you are.

I'd buy another one if I could and wouldn't bother to shop for any other vehicle. I've never had a single problem; have never been back to the dealer for anything. The vehicle has 41K miles on it, consistently gets 23-26 mpg per tankful (29-30 mpg on longer trips), carries/fits all my heavy musical band gear, and rides quitely and comfortably.
    I did buy another Rondo.
    We lost our 2007 EX V6 in an accident in March, and purchased a 2011 EX V6 to replace it. We liked the 07 so much, that when it came time to car shop again, the only real choice for my family was another Rondo.
  • msenescumsenescu Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had issues with their 07 Rondo? I have about 72000 miles on my Rondo and I bought it new in March of 08. I had the O2 sensor replaced once early on. This summer, at about 65000 miles, the clutch on the A/C went out (in the middle of a heat wave of course) and spent a lot of money getting it diagnosed and fixed. There were all kinds of issues getting parts. In September my airbag light went on and I contacted KIA directly and they had in their records all kinds of misinformation like I wasnt' the original owner. I sent them the documents they wanted and never heard back. Now I failed emissions - check engine light went on on my way to the testing place and it coded out at P2A03. I looked it up - O2 sensor. after parking for about a 1/2 hour, the check engine light went off. This happened the first time too (light on then off) and they gave me trouble about fixing it even though the code was in the memory until the light came on again. If they do that again, I may not be able to re-register the car if it fails again.
    Between the problems with the dealer service department, getting parts, all of the non-maintenance related issues (which they keep trying to tell me everything is maintenance related but I can't figure out what an airbag issue or A/C clutch has to do w/routine maintenance), problems with O2 sensors, etc. I'm very sour on KIA right now and would never buy another one.
    I'm curious, though, if these are things other people are seeing too?
    2007 Rondo, bought new in 10/07. Best car I've ever owned. 45K miles, and never back to the dealer (or anywhere else) for anything.
    Gotta tell you, I had to say "wow" reading your post. If that's been the complete list of "issues" you've had with a 4 year old car after 72,000 miles, (and IMHO it really sounds mostly like a matter with a single dealer's service dept.,) and you really feel you'll never buy Kia again because of it, well, good luck with another maker, my friend.
    I can give you at least a half dozen stories/examples of new cars I've owned where the littany of issues, and problem dealings with dealers, would make your case seem trivial. These were with Chevys, Fords, Nissans, Dodges, Subarus, all with less than 30K miles on them. Issues with brakes, motor mounts, O2s, suspensions, fuel injection, rear ends, transmissions, tire pressure sensors, electrical systems, and so on.
  • hopx4hopx4 Member Posts: 11
    I have an 07 that I bought new in January 08 and have 102,000 miles on it. I replaced two O2 sensors before the warranty ended and had the same A/C clutch problem this summer, but that's it so far. The only real complaint I have with the car is the wind noise on the highway...and I spend a lot of time on the highway as you can tell from my mileage.
    I have an '09 Rondo and we have replaced the rear wiper blade. Also oil changes etc. I'm not keen on the racket from the rear windows but if you open the front windows at the same time, it doesn't happen. And for me, there is only a short window of time during Fall & Spring when I'd be driving on highways with the windows open -- the rest of the year either the heat or the AC is on.

I love this car and I just hope someone is making a similar model the next time I have to buy. It is just the right size for us, has great cargo room for our needs, the short driver (me) sits "high" in the car, I can see very well out of all the windows---I hate the narrow rear windows in almost every car these days. The only thing I would like to see improved is the gas mileage.
    I'm pretty happy with the mpg. I average 24-25 mpg thru all types of driving. 29-30 on straight hwy, worst is in winter in the city when she gets down to 18 mpg.
    I need the vehicle for hauling my band's gear, and have been anxiety ridden since Kia announced no new Rondos in the USA after 2010. There simply isn't a car right that can do what the Rondo does for me, at its price, with its mpg, and with the 70+ cu. ft. of FLAT floor cargo space. Jeep Compass comes closest, again at a decent price.
  • msenescumsenescu Member Posts: 2
    ramblinmo - I had the same A/C problem in the summer. It cost me more to fix it and then it took forever to get the parts. About 2 months later (Sept) my airbag light went on. Now I failed emissions and I believe the O2 sensor needs to be replaced AGAIN (this will be the 2nd). I go through headlights, taillights, etc. like there's no tomorrow - I've given up on those. I like the car ok, I have a V6 so it's relatively fun to drive and it's good with kids. But I'm with you, I won't buy another. I'm thinking it looks like it's a high milage thing. I've had other cars that did better than this with a lot more miles on it.
  • linda_klinda_k Member Posts: 1
    At 60,400 miles, my air bag light came on. I found out that my steering wheel air bag is defective and will cost me over $1,000 to replace. Go figure...less than 500 miles after warranty ends!
  • tsm280ztsm280z Member Posts: 30
    Isn't the warranty to 100,000 miles?
    Recall ID # 90643 - AIR BAGS:FRONTAL
    Recall Date:
    JAN 17, 2012
    Model Affected:
    2007 Kia Rondo
    Summary:
    KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC. (KIA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2008 KIA OPTIMA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 29, 2005, THROUGH JANUARY 29, 2008, AND MODEL YEAR 2007 AND 2008 KIA RONDO VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 13, 2006, THROUGH MARCH 21, 2008. THE CLOCK SPRING CONTACT ASSEMBLY FOR THE DRIVER'S SIDE AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) MAY BECOME DAMAGED THROUGH USAGE OVER TIME. IF THE CLOCK SPRING CONTACT ASSEMBLY BECOMES DAMAGED, THE DRIVER'S AIR BAG ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT WILL EXPERIENCE A HIGH RESISTANCE CONDITION POTENTIALLY CAUSING THE DRIVER'S AIR BAG TO NOT DEPLOY.
    Consequences:
    IF THE CLOCK SPRING DEVELOPS HIGH RESISTANCE, IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE DRIVERS AIR BAG WILL NOT DEPLOY AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROPERLY PROTECT THE DRIVER, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURIES.
    Remedy:
    KIA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE VEHICLE'S AIR BAG CLOCK SPRING CONTACT ASSEMBLY AS NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KIA CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-333-4542.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    KIA MOTORS CORPORATION
  • skippy0817skippy0817 Member Posts: 2
    I'm with you. I bought my '07 in 2011 with 27000 miles on it. Now I have 47000 on it and have no problems. Your comment on the mileage makes me smile, as I have the V6 and honestly, I get 27 around the area I live in, which is rural and hilly and 31 on the freeway going to visit my daughter in Milwaukee. I can't believe the mileage is so great! I wish they had not discontinued the Rondo as I would love to buy a new one someday! :)
    Skippy0817, you can still buy Rondos in Canada. We loved our 2007 EX Luxury V6 so much, that we replaced it with a same model 2011 in April 2011. We too are getting really good fuel economy, esp on the highway.