Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Legacy

13»

Comments

• altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    Took it in this morning. Had it back by 2:00 p.m. DX: First said it had some heater switch turned off, but then decided to replace heater control module. It seems fine now. Best part of the experience was this small dealership had no lines or delays for service and provided a loaner. I was literally in and out in 10 minutes.

The loaner was a low end Impreza 5 door. I have to tell you when I returned to my car this afternoon I felt like I was getting into a Bentley. The Impreza had not one speck of interior that wasn't rock hard ugly black plastic.

Once again I'm amazed at the high level of interior quality on the Legacy. The car has soft touch material almost everywhere.Only the far bottom of the doors has any hard material. Even the center console has carpeting on the sides. Not only feels great, but looks great everywhere.

My one very minor complaint. The XM on the Subaru does not scroll songs or other information. A relative who is an enginner for Ford told me that Subaru is skimping on the system. For another $5-10 per car the additional software to provide this information would be available. Considering that the XM install on Subarus is pretty pricey you would think they could provide this upgrade.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Glad it was an easy, fast fix....

Now, as to your Sat comment, I'll need to borrow the car from the owner (my wife!) and check that out...I have Sirius; however, I can't see that it would make a difference from XM. That does sound goofy if it is just a software thing...and they just don't add a line of code or something.....

Now, on to your interior quality comment.....we just got done riding in a new '09 Lincoln MKZ AWD. Nice car; however, for an extra 13k over what we paid, I certainly didn't think the interior was any nicer than the Leggy. I must admit, tho, that the V6 in the Lincoln was nice...but not nice enough to warrant the extra ching by any stretch....especially considering that if we wanted the same luxury with more power we can opt for the flat 6 or the turbo, both of which are still substantially cheaper that the Lincoln... :)
  • altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    I guess money isn't as tight as I think. For people to spend 10-15K more for an "entry level" luxury car makes no sense to me. Then again, maybe they've never even considered or even looked at a Legacy.

Years ago, I dreamed of owning a Jag XJ. Finally made the move in the early 90's on a good lease deal (if a 500+ payment for 4 yrs. is a good deal). I loved the leather and wood interior. Funny thing though, after about a year the car became just an appliance and seemed no better or worse than much less expensive cars.

Since then I've always looked at value for money as the primary consideration in a vehicle purchase. If that value for money deal could give me a quality interior then I would be ecstatic. Well the 09 Legacy SE has gone above and beyond.

It's funny I have a strange kind of buyer's remorse. Because the residual on the lease is so high (making the payment so cheap) I doubt I'd be willing to buy the car off lease. Here I've had the car less than two weeks and I'm already contemplating wanting to keep it forever. Well, the 2010 will be a major overhaul so time will tell whether that will be more or less appealing than the current model.
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    Question regarding the Yokohama tires on the `09 Legacy Limited...

I recently read an article about Grip vs. Durability, related specifically to the tread life. Can anyone recommend a good brand / model of tire for long-term tread life (we're talking 4+ years)? I've had some issues with previous cars (my 2000 Civic in particular) needing new tires about every 3 years - and I was told it wasn't caused by my driving habits, it was evenly worn.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Why would you want tires that last 4 years? Generally the rubber compound is going to only last at the very best 3-4 years from the date of manufacture. I have been known to toss tires after 2 years of use, not due to worn tread but lack of adhesion. What happens over time is the rubber breaks down and becomes more brittle and "hard". Once this happens your lateral grip on them diminishes greatly. There may be plenty of tread but the rubber simply isn't sticking to the ground.

For an all season tire, my favorite is the Sumitomo HTR+, they are very inexpensive and while they wear out usually in about 25k miles, the inexpensive price outweighs the short life.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    We've been happy with Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred on our 2002 Outback.

Good all around traction- laterally, starting, braking and in rain. Much better than the OEM Bridgestones which were replaced at 24K. The Goodyears have been on about three years now that's about 36K. I agree with the other poster that I change tires as soon as they start to feel at all slippery, and that is often at around 5- 32nds which is about 50% of full tread depth when new.

I never get the miles that some claim to get from their tires.
  • tornadobraintornadobrain Member Posts: 9
    Today, when I started my Legacy, everything seemed fine with exception to stereo and climate control displays were not working. I turned the car off and on another three times and the issue didn't resolve itself. Also, the ambient lighting in that area wasn't working. It affected the shift lighting too. The information center, (outside temp, time etc) worked fine, and so did the seat heaters as well as the light indicating the seat heater was on. All functions of the tachometer, speedometer, odometer, etc, worked fine as well.

I drove into town with the car like that. After getting to work, I turned the car off and asked a friend to assist me checking the brake lights to make sure they worked, as well as blinkers and such, (my thinking was it might have been a blown fuse). When I turned the ignition again, the stereo and climate control displays were all visible again.

I called the mechanic at my Subaru dealership and he said if it was presently working, the computer wouldn't find anything wrong. He said to keep an eye on it and if it continues happening regularly, they'll look into it, as I have lots of warranty time left.

I thought it strange the displays would be nonexistent, yet the stereo and heater and such operated normally. I just couldn't see to change anything if I had wanted to.

Overall, I thought it bizarre, and that maybe my car has attracted a spectre of some sort :P
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    Thanks for the response. I've been reading up on the different tires lately and I've been leaning towards GoodYear too when the time comes to replace the Yokohamas.

@Mike: Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that I would ride them bald to the 4 year mark... I just was a little perturbed at the fact that I felt like I was getting new tires all the time for my Civic despite the fact that I am very good about maintenance and rotations... My wife, for example, never does tire rotations and her Firestone Firehawks lasted from the original purchase date in 2001 until 2006. She playfully mocks me constantly about my "abusive driving" habits and having to get tires for the Civ every few years.

But, that being said, I think a lot has to do with the fact that I'm buying a promotional brand of tire, like Kelly Navigators, that are $40 each.

On the plus side, when the Legacy is paid off in another 2 1/2 years or when the Nissan quits (whichever happens first), we plan on getting a new Outback. My wife has snookered the Legacy somehow (still not quite sure how she did it...) and I'm driving the 2001 Nissan Sentra.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    If your Sentra is anything like the one I bought new in 1992, took good care of and sold to my brother-in-law a few years ago, you'll be paying off the Legacy first. That Sentra now has 325,000 miles and is still going strong!

Len
  • TornadoebrainTornadoebrain Member Posts: 3
    With winter weather being here I have stalled on getting tinting on my '09 Legacy Limiteds windows. I made an appt today to get it done for next week. I am hoping to get it as close to the shade of the sunroof as possible. I'll take some pics after it's done and post em here
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Should look nice. You goin' with 35% visible light or so?
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    My wife bought herself an 09 Legacy LTD in pearl and had the back tinted in what they called medium-dark and the front windows in medium-light. We love it. If I can get it away from her for a while I, too, will try to post some pics. You will enjoy the tinting and it really made the vehicle look sharp, IMHO. People ask us all the time: "What kind of car is that? An Acura or Lexus?" They are surprised to find out it is a Subie!
  • u542u542 Member Posts: 11
    Can somebody help a guy out.Looking to buy a 09 outback I really don't need all the bells and whistles but would like in the middle.Must be an automaticWhat model can I get and what would be a fair price .Thanks
  • morin2morin2 Member Posts: 399
    The Special Edition, often abbreviated here on these forums as "SE" is the sweet spot on '09 Outbacks. Pick up a brochure and compare what you get on the SE vs the base model and see if its worth it to you. It certainly was worth it to me. You should be able to get a new 09 SE with the 2.5 & auto for about $21K after the $2K rebate. Check prices paid and buying advice - Outback for more info. The next level up for about $4K more is "Limited" and you are paying more for leather and sunroof - which are nice, but I decided not worth the $ to me. That's where it is a personal decision.
    Thank You so much for the info.I'll let you know what I get.Thanks again
    Another vote for the SE.

If you look at lease residuals, they actually maintain a higher % of their original value, so you may even recoup the small extra investment later when you sell it, and if so the extras would basically be free.
  • dog629dog629 Member Posts: 6
    Have to also vote for the Outback SE. Paid $21,660 for an auto with PZEV in CT on 4-18.

Very happy with the HK stereo, winter package, fogs, cargo mat and cover, 17" alloys, etc.

The car handles beautifully, the 2.5i engine is more than fine for me, and the fit and finish feels much more expensive than the price paid. Simply put, it's a really nice car.

It's my first Subaru (former Toyota diehard) and so far I'm thrilled with my decision.
    Thank You for the info.I can't wait to get mine.I here nothing but good things about the outback.I think I'm going to wait until mid May ( if I can wait that long ) to get it.Thanks again
    I'm sorry to bother you again ,but was that price with taxes or without.Thank You again for your help.
  • weaselinsuitweaselinsuit Member Posts: 78
    Am in Canada and considering buying the Legacy wagon. Anyone out there have any experience with them? I know they don't sell them in the US anymore but thought another Canuck might be browsing. Also, they come with frameless windows, has anyone had any issues with this type of window. I recall my father having a car with them and they sucked but this was back in the '60s so I assume things have improved since then.

Cross shopping against a Forester and Jetta wagon.
    I've had Subarus with and without the frame on the windows.

The frameless ones have thinner pillars so blind spots are smaller. The doors are also lighter.

OTOH, you slam the door with the window half way down and you hear a rattle that is normal but can sound cheap. It's also a little harder to seal the windows. Our 2002 Legacy had a wind noise in the driver's door, but our 1998 Forester was quiet.

I could go either way. Our 2009 Forester has frames and it's been a great vehicle overall.
    Cheers, thanks for the info. I lean towards the wagon but She Who Must leans towards the Forester. Any guesses as to what we'll end up with? :D
    Sounds familiar.

Wifey had a 2002 Legacy wagon. Now she has a 2009 Forester.

We both like the Forester better, FWIW. She's MUCH happier now.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    The Forester seems to have a better back seat spacing with foot room, is easier to park and has slightly better visibility. From riding as a passenger it seems roomier than my Outback wagon....and it also has a higher load height capability that would have held my new snow blower right side up instead of on its side. :)

However if pricing by you is like Chicago, left-over Outbacks might be $2000 less than the Forester.
    The outgoing Outback does have a longer cargo floor, though. That's the only thing my wife misses at times.

Overall she's much happier with the 09 Forester.
    I appreciate the feedback. As I say, I suspect we'll end up with the Forester, which with two small kids still in booster seats may not be a bad thing, the added height makes a surprising difference when buckling them in.
  • jhdjhd Member Posts: 20
    Hi all.
    I am about to drive to the dealer to get new 2009 Legacy 2.5i. I test drove many different brands, opted out of Nissan CVT (2010 Subaru CVT as well), and decided on proven 4speed automatic. I am coming out of Olds Intrigue - good car if it wasn't for famous intake gasket, but it gave me many years of relatively trouble free driving.
    I did a lot of reading, Legacy looked like a good buy with latest incentives. I like the looks and 4 wheel drive - important here in Toronto area.
    Are there any particular areas to keep an eye on during first days/weeks of driving?
    Do you change oil after first 1k or keep driving to 6k (km) as schedule says?
    Cheers.
    jhd
    During your test drive do a figure-8 in an empty parking lot to make sure all the diffs and bearings are operating smoothly (I'd do that in *any* car). Test drive with the windows open and the radio off to listen for any odd noises.

Also, buy it in the sunlight, so any paint or body flaws are visible.

Best of luck!
  • legacydr1verlegacydr1ver Member Posts: 2
    My climate and audio controls in my 2007 Subaru Legacyused to flicker at times, too, and now they have gone completely blank. The heat and audio are still working, I just can't change channels or change the temperature. I checked and replaced all the fuses that could be linked to this problem and it still persists. Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.