Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    If you're seriously interested in some type of rewards-based credit card, I'd suggest you look into something like an American Express Blue or a Citibank MasterCard Dividend Select card. There's also Chase Freedom Visa. I have all three.

The AmEx gives you 1.25% on everything and 2.5% on gas, groceries, and pharmacy purchases until a preset amount, which I think is $5,000, then it doubles for the remainder of your year (5% on gas, groceries, and pharmacy, 2.5% on all else). The snag here is that you can't get a "reward" in the mail - it gets applied to the 13th month's bill.

The Citibank MC gives you 3% on gas, groceries, and pharmacy and 1% else. The only reason I have this card is in the unlikely event where the merchant will only take a MasterCard. This rate used to be higher - 5% for ggp and 2.5% for everything else - but a few years ago they slowly started reducing the rewards. To redeem: After accumulating $50 in "dividend", electronically request a check through the website, you receive check in about a week.

The Chase Visa is my "everything else" card. This card actually gives you 3% on the top three categories of spending; they give you 3% on your top five if you hold a Chase Checking account. No expiration, no limit. Sample accounts are: "Dining and Entertainment" for a restaurant, "Services and Merchandise" for the Post Office, "Vehicle Expenses" for Coast Honda... etc. Fuel is included in Vehicle Expenses. There's a lot of things listed in the "Other" category and I'm not sure if they're all chunked into one "thing" for the rewards. You can redeem anytime after $50 is accumulated, or if you wait until there's $200 accumulated, you instantly jump to $250.

We prefer using our AmEx because of the higher reward (and we hit our preset limit within a few months of the card's calendar year) but we like our Chase just as much now that they've recently extended their categories.

Assuming it costs 50 bucks to fill up your tank:
    Chase: $1.50 in rewards/tank
    AmEx: $2.50 rewards/tank

If you fill your tank once a week, that's a difference of $52 by the end of the year in rewards, and if you pay in cash or use a debit card or non-rewards credit card, you're missing out on a free $130 in rewards (AmEx) or $78 (Chase). It depends on where and how often you go for gas, I guess to make it worth it since initially the Chase card is better... but if you're like me and go to Costco Wholesale for gas, you can only pay with American Express.

Hope that helps give you some food for thought - I like having my money in cash form so it's not tied into one specific company or brand (IE the Subaru Card)

I'm kind of a nut when it comes to free money... I pay for everything with my cards and then pay them off in full at the end of the month. If you carry a balance with ANY rewards-based credit card, the interest/financing charge is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than regular cards - we're talking 12% APR and beyond... and that's with Tier 1 Credit.

But, if you pay your bill off in full at the end of the month, you're the one winning out because you:
    1) Get an interest-free "loan" from the credit card companies `till your statement is due.
    2) Keep your money in the bank until the last possible statement where the above statement is due, which accumulates interest in a savings account. (ING Direct for the win!)
    3) Get free money (rewards) from the card companies just for using their card instead of using cash. (It's nice to take about 15-20 cents off a gallon of gas and know in the end you're only really paying 3.15/gallon rather than 3.33 because of rewards!)

I also just don't like cash, because I have an "if I have it in my pocket, I feel compelled to spend it" attitude towards little things like vending machines, soda machines, etc, etc. With plastic, can't charge a Snickers bar, move along!
  • un4soun4so Member Posts: 2
    I've had both of those types of rattles.
    The 'cargo' rattle probably comes from the plastic covers, next to the rear lights, just under the tail gate. You can paste some weather proofing strip (spongy/rubbery), or just stuff some clothing first between the gate and those plastics, to prove they are causing the rattles.
    For the 'sunroof' rattle, there is actually a repair kit issued by Subaru. I've had my 2007 Outback fixed one week ago. The invoice says "...installed sunroof repair kit..."; part might be 43SUZZM1 - ask your dealer about this.
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    Yes, each $100 coupon is good for four (4) years on a date it was issued.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Chase Visa is my "everything else" card. This card actually gives you 3% on the top three categories of spending; they give you 3% on your top five if you hold a Chase Checking account. No expiration, no limit

Read the fine print, there are some limits.

Consumer Reports reviewed the card recently and I think they cap the 3% rebate at $18 per month, beyond that you only get 1% back.

Since you have 3 cards you may not exceed that limit (you would have to put more than $600 on your 3rd card in a single month), but there are limits.

My wife puts large business expenses on her card, so that $600 spending cap did not work well for us. I guess annually it would be $18 per month times 12, or just $216 per year in rebates at the 3% rate, the rest at 1%.

The Subaru card is with the same bank (Chase) but the cap is $500 annually, 3% for everything. No restrictions on categories for purchases, plus you stop using the card when you get the $500, so you know right away.

Of course the "restriction" is that you have to spend it at a Subaru dealer, but at least you can use it for service, parts, accessories, leases, or purchases. Even CPO used Subarus.

Our 2nd card is a Citibank Shell card - 5% back on all gas, 1% on all else.

So basically we get:

* 5% on all gas, no matter what
    * 3% on everything else until we hit the $500 cap
    * then 1% from that point on using the Shell gas card

I could probably get more than 1% for that short period of time but it's usually only a month or two.
  • cd68cd68 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the re-designed 2010 Legacy will have framed windows, or continue to have the frame-less windows?

I'm very interested in buying a new Legacy, but I've never had a car with frameless windows before, and I'm not sure if I would like them or if they would just be really annoying.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be most grateful.
    That seems likely, given the Tribeca, then Impreza, then Forester all moved to that design. Especially since the Legacy is more upscale, so you think dropping wind noise would be a priority.

Cons? More weight, more seals needed, thicker pillars (maybe).
    That was my thought - since the Impreza and Forester in particular moved toward framed windows - it seems logical that the Legacy does so as well.

I'm considering buying the 2009 Legacy since it's an established design and all of the potential issues with regard to a brand new design are not applicable. On the other hand, I don't want to buy the 2009, and find out that the 2010 is an absolutely perfect car from a design and function standpoint. (In my opinion they should add framed windows, a bit more storage space for small stuff in the front seat, bluetooth, and improved gas mileage).
    It's a tough call. I was in the same boat as you about a month ago, then decided to get the 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited.

I considered waiting for 2010 and the remake, but friends and family alike cautioned me on being the first to own a brand new model year. My mother specifically recommended getting the 2009 since it's the last year for this build - so more or less they've got the majority of the kinks out.

The things I would have liked to see in 2010 would have been the low-force door handles (the ones that pull out rather than pull up, was kind of disappointed that this wasn't available), and likewise I'd like to have seen a little bit more storage space in the front, whether they add an eyeglass compartment near the sunroof controls or make the center console and cupholder console slightly larger.

I could take or leave bluetooth. I prefer to have the phone conversation in my ear rather than broadcasting in the car, because it gets awkward with passengers and quality isn't the same as an in-ear bluetooth regardless of the manufacturer.

Mileage I'm comfortable with. Although the sticker on the 2.5i was only 22 city/26 highway, I'm getting higher than 30 - about 30.9 to be exact - on highway with the air conditioner on constantly (Auto Climate Control). I'm not really using the shiftronic or the sport mode of the transmission, but I am driving the car gently... Not really letting the RPM's exceed 3.5k and not doing any abrupt braking unless I have to. I think in City driving, the 22 is probably accurate.

If they added a 5-speed Automatic Transmission next year, I'd consider purchasing another Legacy to replace my Nissan Sentra.

To me, it's all about Safety, which is why I looked into an AWD vehicle in the first place... I'd rather lose a few highway MPG (losing about 5 MPG compared to my `00 Honda Civic) in order to survive - or more importantly avoid - an accident.

That being said, and getting back to the original point, you're the one with the power now. The economy is floundering a bit, and as the `09's get more and more "common" throughout the market, you'll start seeing better and better financing deals and cash back offers. If you can wait until the `10's are released next summer, you'll probably get a killer offer on a 2009 if you can still find them. My wife and I were going to go after a 2008 since they had a super low price compared to the `09 Legacy, but none were around the NJ area in late July - just a week or two after the `09's launched.

Fingers crossed when I'm ready to get rid of my Nissan that Subaru will have a "keyless" ignition like many other car makers are doing... Mini, Nissan, etc. all have the push-button start with the intelligent key now (the key doesn't need to be in the ignition to run, just in your pocket). I like the high-tech features like that.
    Thanks very much for your detailed reply. You have given me a lot to ponder!
    You'll probably see framed windows, but I doubt more storage space. Our 09 Forester actually has less than my 1998 Forester did.

Bluetooth is a maybe.

Improved gas mileage? My guess is no. Actually mileage peaked for the 2003 model year, at 23/30, and has not matched that peak since.

The 09 Forester gets the same mileage as the 08. The turbo XT improved slightly, though.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The 2010 Legacy is going to be very different. First it's gonna be A6 sized so much larger than the current one. Price will also go up accordingly. Weight is supposed to stay the same. I expect framed doors.

-mike
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Safe to assume the same changes will apply to '10 Outback (much larger, A6 size class, etc.) ?
  • mysubiesnewmysubiesnew Member Posts: 1
    Love the look of the onyx on your new '09. I am actually a tad jealous of you. I bought my '09 Legacy 2.5i Limited two weeks ago today. I'm jealous that you beat me to it haha ;) . I'll get a camera tomorrow, take pics and post em as soon as I can. Mine is Newport Blue Pearl. I love the leather interior, the ride is awesome. It's my first Subaru. I have no idea why I didn't look at them sooner, these cars are really terrific. :):D .
    I read about a couple of people who were over six feet tall having issues in the driver's seat. Sorry to hear about that, I'm 5'6". I fit in the driver's seat like a hand in a glove.
    I had them add the console extender, as it's just too low as is for my comfort. Other than that, I think this car is terrific.
    She still doesn't even have 1000 miles on her. Call me crazy, but sometimes I sit outside and look at it and just smile.
    Kurt, yeah the OB will be on the same chassis. It may get a different front clip but essentially the same.

OB will be wagon only body and Leg will be sedan only.

-mike
    Congratulations. I'm 6'0" and it seems like I wouldn't be comfortable if I was a little bit bigger. However, when I drive, I like to be reclined back about 30-45 degrees and I like my seat to be as low as possible and as far back from the steering column as possible.

I didn't have a problem fitting in my Honda Civic before this, nor do I have a problem in my Nissan Sentra.

I think the sunroof takes an inch or two off of the height, so if that really is a deal breaker, you could potentially look into an Outback 2.5i SE since that doesn't come with the sunroof.
  • tornadobraintornadobrain Member Posts: 9
    Congratulations to you as well on your new ride.

This is mysubiesnew, I just changed my name.

I was curious as to how you like your new Legacy? If you don't mind me asking.

Also, what kind of tires did yours come equipped with? Mine has Yokohama 205/50r17. Again, I hope you don't mind my asking.
    It's great! We're at about the 1500 mile mark, and for the last few weeks, my wife has been at the helm.

The only thing that I've noticed - not that it's a bad thing - is that the idle is high on startup, so the PZEV can get warmed up faster, I imagine. It's not a bad thing, just a cosmetic nuisance, I guess.

Pretty sure they're Yokohama's, but I haven't checked the specific size on them.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your new car. I too am having a lot of fun driving mine.

I have noticed that high idle at startup also. I do a quick pump on the accelerator and the idle resets to normal rpms.

Here's some pics of mine. You'll pardon the graininess of the images, I'm no photographer, and I used a throw away camera lol.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/tornadobrain/subie13.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/tornadobrain/subie12.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/tornadobrain/subie10.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/tornadobrain/subie3.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/tornadobrain/subie4.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/tornadobrain/subie8.jpg

I've put just over 1k on my Legacy, and I'm getting just over 30 mpg combined which is a lot better than I expected. Granted, it's still early, but I'm real happy with my car so far.
    Nice. I didn't elect for the spoiler on mine, I thought the trunk had a nice finished look to it already. I did, however, get the "all weather package" which came standard with the Legacy, really enjoying the all weather mats and I've used the seat heaters a few times so far -
    Nice color, is that Atlantic Blue Pearl?

I love those rims, also.

You need just one thing - tinted windows. :shades:
    illegal in NJ :(
    They actually put the spoiler on as a freebie for me. I like it. I had to buy my all weather mats as an accessory, which annoyed me a bit. I picked up the remote starter, all weather mats, console extender, and baskets for the trunk, (the ones that go on the sides) as accessories.

In Kansas, it's still mostly warm weather, so I haven't had an opportunity to use my seat heaters yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

All in all, I got away paying just under 27k for mine, which is far less than I had expected to pay for a new vehicle. I am really pleased at all I get for the money, plus S-AWD, and one of the safest cars out there.
    "is that Atlantic Blue Pearl? "

Close, it's Newport Blue Pearl. I saw the Legacy in the blue on the showroom floor, and fell in love. I would have preferred a different color interior, maybe a darker color, but the ivory isn't bad with this blue. The one on the floor was an SE automatic with just the single disc cd player. I wanted the HK 6 disc changer and the heated leather seats so I went with the Limited.

Thanks for the compliments. I like thse rims better than the other set available on the Limited trim.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting my windows tinted. I'm not sure if I'll get it done though. The dashboard is dark as it is, and when wearing sunglasses, it's tough to see it :( , so tinting might make that worse. Tinting would look good on her though lol. :shades: :D
    Wow, our Forester is the same color, yet it just looks different on the Legacy. Isn't that funny?

We do have tint, factory now for the Forester.
    illegal in NJ

That's why we have 2 year inspections. I've had all my cars tinted for years (20% none the less) and the only time I've gotten a ticket for it was when the cop didn't want to write me for a lot of speed over the limit. He says "Well listen, I'll give you a tint ticket, it's $50 and no points" "Thank you officer"

We have a great tint guy down in kenilworth who's done work on almost every car out there. Highend to lowend. :) He's a subaru guy too.

-mike
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    Hello, All!

Been following this and other forums for awhile and my wife and I just picked up a new 09 Legacy Ltd in pearl white. The dealer was very helpful (Tim's Subaru in Prescott, AZ) and ordered one from the factory with everything my wife wanted. She put on all the options (trim, Sirius, spoiler, etc.) except for the wheel locks: then, they tinted the windows for her (med light in front and med dark on the rear). We got the PZEV model, which is available for order, but not required, here in AZ. So far, we've just driven home to Flagstaff (approximately 100 miles away); however, we are pleased and amazed at the handling and quiet. The standard 2.5 has adequate power (my wife liked the turbo; however, not enough to justify the added expense, premium fuel, and lower reliability ratings, not to mention some dubious mileage reports we've seen on various forums for around town driving, which is most of what she will be doing....).

We've already gotten several compliments on the vehicle and, interesting to note, most are surprised to find out it is a Subie! There are a lot of Subies here in town; however, most are Foresters and Outbacks (we also have a 98 Forester...135K and going strong!) and many people were unaware of this fine sedan and that it is a great AWD alternative to the non-AWD Accord, Altima and Camry.

Will post pics and further impressions as I can.

Thnx to all for adding to the discussion and making our decision easy!

Robert
    Congrats.

Something about a nice pearl white paint job, they have lots of depth.

My Miata is plain white and it's been hit 4 times. I should have the whole thing repainted in pearl white. Bet it would look nice.
  • altimatealtimate Member Posts: 74
    I've been mulling over a replacement for my 03 Altima for the better part of two years.

Finding a car not much more than 20K with what I wanted always seemed to fall short. My priorities: quality upscale interior, decent mileage, conservative clean styling (not overdone) and of course, great value for the money.

Well, today I took delivery of my 09 Legacy SE. I knew I liked the vehicle and I got a great lease price on a two year 15000mi lease with nothing out of pocket. Among the additional benefits of the lease were a free service loaner and $1000 excess wear and tear credit at the end of the lease.

But frankly, I was overwhelmed by how nice the interior was with the aftermarket leather package I ordered. All I can say is this car's interior runs with vehicles easily 10-15K more expensive. Is there really anything out there comperable at the price?

Cap cost less than 23K with moonroof, leather,AWD, VDC, 400 Watt HK Stereo, XM radio and an interior that would give Audi and BMW a run for there money (much more money to be sure).

I cruised with the moonroof open and my ipod wailing classic jazz for a good hour this afternoon. I'm thrilled that I have a one hour ride to a court hearing tomorrow so I can do more of the same coming and going. This car is in my opinion the best combination of quality and value features for anywhere near the price. Talk about a well kept secret. Unless you need the extra room I can't imagine anyone buying any of the competition over this great car.
    Congrats!

I agree that this is a great vehicle for the price!

What is your exterior color and your aftermarket leather pkg color?

Robert
    Quartz silver metallic.

The leather is a charcoal color, not black. Looks great. But the dash and door trim also look very upscale. Love the swinging needles when you start the car and the dash lighting is great as well.

I've never been this enamored with a car. I literally dragged myself out of the house tonight at 10:20 pm to go to the drug store and buy vitamins. I think we know I wasn't in desperate need of vitamins tonight. But a few more enjoyable minutes in the car were worth the trip.
    Isn't it fun to love a new car?! :D

We're still breaking ours in so I 'had' to take a little drive today across town for some business...and, of course, I took the new car!

I agree that the interior of this car is sweet. Ours has the ivory leather with the charcoal carpets and it looks quite upscale. I smile when people comment on how expensive the car must have cost us......little do they know what a steal these Legacy's are... :)

Robert
    That's hilarious.

Congrats.

The SE is a major bargain and the aftermarket leather puts it at a level where similar competitor pricing is probably $10 grand higher.
    I know this isn't the future models section but I thought I'd mention what I heard yesterday.

Picked up my 09 Legacy SE and talking to the saleman he indicated that someone from the dealership was in Salt Lake City for a meeting and was given a preview of somekind (not sure if it was photos or just info).

The main item mentioned to me was that the car will be 2.5 inches wider. Not a surprise really considering that the current Legacy is somewhat narrower than the competition.

Salesman mentioned competing with camry, accord, altima. Let's hope that other than an increase in width and hopefully only a modest increase in length they don't emulate the competition. I think it's the competition that should be emulating them.
    The 2010 will be almost A6 sized but only weigh slightly more than the current model.

-mike
    "Wow, our Forester is the same color, yet it just looks different on the Legacy. Isn't that funny? "

It might be due to me taking the pics on an overcast day with a throwaway camera. The color doesn't look right to me either in the pics.
    Congratulations on your new Ltd.

I would have to agree with you that most folks aren't aware of just how nice a car the Legacy is. I live in a town of 125k people, and as far as I can see, I'm the only one with a Legacy made this century. I see plenty of Outbacks, Foresters, and a few Imprezas, but no Legacys to be seen anywhere.

Again, congrats on your new car. :)
    Congrats to you as well.

I have pretty much the same sentiments towards my new Ltd. I actually sit and look at it sometimes, and smile. Yes, I'm wierd lol.
  • ahqahq Member Posts: 37
    Hi all,

I thought I'd provide a link to several pics of my 2009 Legacy 2.5i SE, which is painted in Seacrest Green Metallic. I've had it for just over six weeks now... what a ride, I must say! Although I'm not terribly enthused about the higher degree of fuel consumption (I upgraded from a 2002 Sentra GXE) and a minor dash rattle that has recently surfaced, the rest of my experience has been sheer bliss thus far.

Anyhow, I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this link here... I know I've seen others post links to their pics in the past, so I'm assuming this will be acceptable. These photos were taken with my cellphone camera, so they're not of the highest quality, although I tried to clean them up a bit - hence the inflated file sizes.

Link: Pics of my car

Cheers! :)
    I know its way too early to get a truly accurate mileage assessment on my SE (250 miles) but I took a small business trip yesterday (130 miles). Trip odometer had about 40 city miles on it at the time giving it a ratio of around 25% city and 75% highway driving. Bottom line is the trip computer registered just a tad less than 27mpg.

If those are the numbers at this early stage I'm anticipating some really great numbers down the road.
    Nice color on your SE. Congrats on getting it too.

I knew before I bought subaru that it didn't get the fuel economy of many other sedans. I thought it would be a trade off though, as the subaru has excellent crash test results, high reliability, has near legendary status for being good in bad weather, not to mention it just looks good lol.

Where I live gas is $3.19 in most spots, $3.29 in others, so even though it's still high, it's not as bad as it has been.
  • jdljrjdljr Member Posts: 11
    I'm lovin my 09 Legacy 2.5i SE so far. Looks GREAT, rides GREAT. About 275 miles on it since picking it up a week ago. I got the quartz silver metallic and the spoiler, foglights, moonroof and splash guards just set it off. Haven't yet gone through a full tank of gas, but will be monitoring the mileage in the coming weeks/months. We're going out of town for vacation beginning tomorrow and, while I'd like to take the Subie on the road trip to the airport (125 miles), the Subie is staying at home! I don't want to risk leaving it at the aiport. Rather leave it safely at the house. :shades:
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I was at my dealership today having the oil changed on my 01 Outback so I wandered around the lot. I LOVE the style of the Legacy. It is very sharp looking with a great design. Again, I reiterate, why did they get rid of the Wagon version?!?! :)
    Because the Outback outsold it even at a higher price.

We owned a Legacy wagon, but there just were not enough of us.
  • rla26368rla26368 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my '09 Outback Saturday (returning to Subaru after 12 years of really bad car choices) and it rattles too; but the rattle is from my rear license plate frame not having bottom holes to fasten it and the bottom of the license to the car...other than that it's very quiet. :P
    I took my new Legacy SE out to run an errand tonight. With the fall chill in the air I decided to turn on the heat. The car has the manual system. I simply turned the heat dial all the way up and turned on the fan. The AC button was deactivated.

Result? Nothing but cold air blowing through the vents. I'm wondering whether I may have missed something in the operation of the system or whether I may have a problem. The system is obviously very simple and presumably works just like any other manual system.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone knows of something I may have missed or whether
    I need to make my first service trip. I should point out that I've used the AC several times with perfectly normal results.

Thanks in advance.

Len
    Hmm could be a fuse for the heat not working, a friend with a manual system on his Nissan Frontier had that problem.

It is odd though.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Taking it in tomorrow morning. Dealer was very cooperative and is providing a loaner.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I've done maybe a thousand highway miles this summer, cruising at 65 I was getting 32mpg calculated and displayed with 2 adults and 2 big teenagers! better than my 98 Legacy GT. doing my regular commute I;m getting 25mpg.
    Let us know what the problem ends up being...I have an 09 LTD, so it has the auto system....but all I could think of is the valve in your system didn't open for some reason to allow the coolant to flow through....I have seen these frozen in the past; however, not on a new vehicle.
    I've had that on several cars.

Get some of that self-adhesive stuff you put on the bottom of chairs to protect floors. They are usually soft wool and would quiet that rattle down.
This discussion has been closed.