Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes for 2009 Impreza?

exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
edited April 2014 in Subaru
Does anyone know the changes for the 2009 Impreza? How about colors? For 2008, on the non-WRX models, if you wanted to stay away from the beige interior you were only left with only silver, gray or black exterior colors.

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No news yet. We're about a month and half away is my guess for any info.

Bob
  • option01option01 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Bob,

Not sure if you read the "Dealership Told Me" thread on nasioc but "Jon In CT" recently hinted that news would be available on July 30th and that there would be some significant changes (at least for the WRX). Not saying you're wrong... just hoping he's right :)
    Yeah I saw that. I also heard last night that the media may be getting test examples in about 3 weeks, which more or less coincides with Jon's posting. Now whether there will be a news embargo or not, I don't know.

I still don't think you'll see cars on dealer lots much before the end of August.

Bob
    Cool, I have no problem waiting to buy. I'm just excited to know what changes are on the way. The fact that Subaru is sending test models to the media further confirms that there are significant updates. :)

Do you know what is in store for the 09 WRX? (I know you can't give details if you do but I was just wondering since you apparently have some level of insider access).
    I know a few things, but not everything. I think you'll be happy, as a number of criticisms of the '08 model have been addressed.

Bob
    Thanks Bob! It's nice to know that Subaru is listening and responsive. Now I just have to stop trying to predict the changes/updates and just be patient. (but it's hard :cry: )
  • javert_123javert_123 Member Posts: 8
    News article on 2009 WRX/Impreza model line changes:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/07/wrx.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subaru has given the redesigned-for-2008 Impreza WRX a healthy boost in power for 2009, up from 224 to 265 hp. Besides the bigger turbocharger, the folks at Subaru also retuned the suspension and made summer performance tires standard, rather than the all-seasons it had for 2008. It only comes with a five-speed manual transmission.

That’s really all the change you need to know about for the WRX; the car itself was completely redesigned last year. The move is to allow the WRX to better compete with Mitsubishi’s upcoming Lancer Ralliart.

There’s also a new Impreza trim level being added that keeps the outgoing WRX’s power plant. It’s called the Impreza 2.5 GT. It will come only with an automatic transmission.

One major addition to the entire Impreza lineup for 2009 is stability control, which will now be standard. That means the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s Top Safety Pick designation for the car will now apply to all models. More photos below.

Update: And yes, a power moonroof is now part of the Premium option package. That package is standard on the new 2.5 GT model. No pricing has been announced yet.

Update 2: The WRX and 2.5GT will go on sale September 1.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is great news on ESC being standard on the Impreza for 2009. IMO that, along with the Impreza's crash safety and AWD, makes it the safest small car on the road. Any idea when the 2009 2.5i will be available?
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. I'm interested in buying the new 2009 Impreza GT hatch. They say it has the same engine as the 2008 WRX which is fine for me (224HP). But what I am concerned about is the looks of the new GT. Is that unchanged also? Or does it look like the new 2009 WRX with the bigger spoiler and more agressive look? I love that STI spoiler the new WRX is getting and I pray that the GT will have it too. Does anyone know anything about this. I would have to say yes because since they kept the engine the same, you would figure they would have to change SOMETHING! Anyone have any info? Thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No info, but it's a dealer installable option, why not just order it with that option?

-mike
    Check the Straightline link above, page 2.

The grille is from the Outback Sport. Don't know about the 5-door spoiler also getting the STI's spoiler, but I doubt it, as there has been no word on it.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I like that grille a lot better, though.
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    How about the regular Impreza? I am looking at buying a regular 2.5 Impreza in the near future. Are there any changes to this model? If not, I would think one could get a good deal on a 2008. However, if there are any significant changes, then a 2009 may be warranted.

Any feedback is appreciated.

CUSAFR
  • tonka9764tonka9764 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, there are not many changes in the base model, one is that 4 wheel discs are standard in all models along with the other things listed in prior posts.

I just bought a 2008 for a sweet price and added sunroof, black rims, Kuhmo tires, leather, fogs, shifter, exhaust tip, lower airdams... and it is perfect for me, and uses regular fuel... and i have a spare set of rims for winter. Below is a link to my original post with images...

ORIGINAL POST
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Saw my first '09 WRX and GT today. IMHO,The new body work is a plus for the WRX. The new grill, while better still looks like a cheap after thought. Oh well, I guess that's why those cool mesh grills cost so much on Jags. I'm not a big fan of the gray wheels. The new interior is nicer. The GT was an interesting copper color. FWIW, the WRX had Dunlop Sport S1's(?).
    Where did you see the cars?

Bob
    Probably at SOA, he lives right in the area!

I'll try to get P to bring one when I see her for lunch in a week or 2 :)

-mike
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for responding to my questions everyone. But I do have one main concern. Now I know I can get the cool STI spoiler on my GT but what about that ugly grill. I know they may have an aero package on this GT. I actually like the NEW look of the 2009 WRX, it looks more aggressive like the STI. Now my question is will I be able to get my GT hatch to look like that?? If I can get a new grill and that spoiler, then the only difference will be the engine but I'm more than happy with 224 HP. I just wanna have a cool looking car, ya know? If I can't get my GT to look the new WRX, then I think I will go with the Mazda 3 Hatch which is a very nice car. Just a little worried that it will be a tad underpowered. I drove it and it seemed peppy but how about when the car is loaded with stuff and its a hot day where I'm blasting the AC. Ok so please let me know your opinions.
    Thanks.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Subaru actually has the you know what to actually paint one of their cars a cool color for a change?
    I don't believe it. it was probably a custom car or something.

Now if they could get those passenger seats up off the floor and put a turbo diesel engine in it... along with that copper color... then we are talking.
    If the hill won't come to the man, then man will go to the hill.

If you build it, they will come.

If...., oh you get the idea. ;)
    Pics?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    I don't know about the '09, but they make OEM mesh sport grilles for the '08.... can't imagine that they won't continue.. Mine was a port-installed option..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm not comfortable doing that. If the roles were reversed, I'm not sure I would appreciate it.
    Understood. I just had to ask. ;)
    New to the Subaru world?

02 had a margarine colored WRX
    03-04 had a bright yellow WRX

-mike
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    ok so they had a couple of years with yellow... that's the extent of their wild color pallet.
    Maybe people weren't buying them?

I took a look at the Audi A4 color pallette and it reminded me of the Foresters - 10 shades of white/black/gray and one single blue and red.

This may be what the public is asking for, I suppose.
    Just wondering if anyone has been able to confirm that ESC will be standard on all Imprezas for 2009, as reported by C/D? I've been looking at the 2008s because of the great leases, but really want ESC so I'd be willing to wait for the 2009s.
    Premium package Imprezas have stability control in 2008.. You probably knew that.. but, just in case.. FYI..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Odd colors usually have poor resale value. The previous yellow colors were IMHO, uh, less than pretty. While I doubt I'd purchase the copper color myself, in part due to the resale risk, and in part because I prefer other colors, I did find it handsome. I actually prefer the color palette of Subaru's other vehicles. For example, I really like the gray offered on the Tribeca. More importantly, perhaps Subaru should concern themselves more with the quality of their paint.
    Yes, I knew that. I'd like a 2.5i with ESC without having to spring for the Premium Package. The base car is just fine for my needs, even the plastic wheel covers look decent; but ESC would be great. Especially if I could get one of those $199/month, 0 down leases on it. :)
    I ended up with the premium package, because it was the only manual-shift car at either dealer that I shopped.. It's not a bad value for $1500, if you assume the stability control is worth about $500 of it... But, I really like factory alloys. Six disc CD, upgraded speakers, fog lights.. audio controls on the steering wheel.. those were just a bonus.. So, it was worth it to me.. About $18/mo. for the whole package on my lease..

The same dealer is running a new ad, this week... The zero down, $199/mo. on the Impreza with auto, is now for 36 months..

But, they have a 24 month lease on the Legacy SE for $159/mo. with $999 due at signing... That is equivalent to the $199/mo. lease that they had on the Impreza last month.. Of course, they might not have any of those models in stock...lol

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Just FWIW, both our cars were keyed by a vandal, and Subaru's paint held up better than Toyota's. Our Sienna has deep scratches, while I was able to (mostly) buff out the key marks on our Forester.

:(
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    You ended up with an Impreza? How are you liking it? I know you had Bimmers in the past, so what's it like comparatively? How's the gas mileage? You opted for the straight 2.5?
    Well.. technically... the wife has had the Bimmers (her present one goes back in November)... I traded my '02 Honda CR-V..

Yeah.. I have the normally aspirated 2.5 Impreza.. 170 hp.. stick-shift I wouldn't really compare it to a Bimmer, except in interior room.. Very roomy for 4-people... I will say that the handling is way above any normal front-driver... with the stick and real AWD, it really tucks in the nose around corners... It doesn't have much of the understeer, that is typical in your basic FWD econobox..

26.1 and 26.6 mpg on my first two tanks.. It's only rated at 20/27, so I'm pretty pleased...

It seems like a strange choice, but they paid up big time for the CR-V, and I'm in a super-cheap 24 month lease on the Subie.. Needed to free up some cash for her new car.. She really wants an X3, but that remains to be seen...

I'm just happy to be back driving a manual-shift.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You may be just a fatter rear sway bar away from complete eradication of that understeer.
    I'll just have to compensate with my superior driving abilities... :surprise:

I think of all sorts of cool things... but, this car is going back in 23.3 months.... so, I hope to not put anything into it but four service visits and some gas! :shades:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That's right, you leased...

I suppose a home-made moonroof with a sawzall is out of the question? :D
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Long delayed response...

Nice. I hope you enjoy it.
    It looks like if you want NAV and a manual tranny for '09 on either the Impreza or Forester, your only choices will be the WRX and WRX STI.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2009.html

Even more idiotic is that NAV is not available on the new (premium level!) Impreza 2.5 GT. The excuse I got is that, if offered, it would be priced too close to the Legacy. Really, really dumb move SOA. :(

Bob
    First with VDC, now with NAV. :sick:

This is a cash cow. It should be a stand-alone option for every model.
  • msolomonsmsolomons Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know when the '09 Sports will be hitting the dealerships? I'm holding out for the new model year and I'm eager to take possession!

Thanks,
    Mary
    '09 Sport? Do you mean the WRX or 2.5 GT? If so, they should be arriving soon.

Bob
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    If you mean '09 Sport model, as in the Canadian 2.5i Sport model, they're already at some dealerships.
    I'm guessing he meant Outback Sport! :shades:

May take a while. Foreseter sales were up 73%. They sell at a higher price point. FHI has no incentive to rush the new Impreza here, when they already cannot meet demand for a vehicle with a higher profit margin that comes from the same assembly plant.

I'm sure they'll find a way, but they may trickle in at first, as the Forester is still going to get priority.
  • csdevcsdev Member Posts: 4
    WHEN are they going to get rid of those hideous clear ricer tail lamp covers on the hatchback???

Subaru, I'm ready to buy a WRX hatch as soon as you sell a mature looking version.

I was a big fan of the 07 WRX exterior. I am still lukewarm towards this 08-09 models exterior. It doesn't look like a sports sedan. It looks like an econo-box. I love the new interior and all of the other improvements. I wish Subaru would use the 07 for inspiration on a refresh of this current model, which is an excellent car otherwise.
    Those tail lights are hideous., Subaru is not alone in this regard. Audi, once noted for their understated elegance is now using some pretty tacky LED's in their head lights. It's like some sort of weird fashion industry decision to make consumers purchase what is currently in style, no matter how awful the public really thinks about it. I can just imagine the cost of replacements! In my limited experience, Subaru's source for bulbs is providing an inferior product already. I seem to go through bulbs (and lets face it, somehow the price of these bulbs seems ridiculous) at an all too fast rate. Then again, I wouldn't buy or not buy a car based on the tail lights. I suggest you choose your colors carefully, so as not to bring too much attention to them.
  • csdevcsdev Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, either that or suck it up and get the sedan even though I love and prefer hatchbacks.

The Legacy looks fantastic and as far as styling goes is my favorite sedan at any price. My only gripe is with the proprietary/integrated stereo. I wish automakers would stick to DIN and double DIN head units so that it is easy to upgrade the electronics. That's important because the electronics improve rapidly and cars last so long relatively speaking. I shouldn't have to buy a new car just because I want the latest in dash nav system or bluetooth stereo, or whatever the latest feature is.

I know exactly what you mean with those Audi LED lights and I agree, they are very tacky. BMW and Audi both have gone in the wrong direction with their styling. They'd do better to spend the money on improving quality instead.
    I don't like clear tails, either, but if you get a silver color (or similar) it hides it pretty well.

And we all know Subaru loves silver/gray.
This discussion has been closed.