Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 has occasional JERK during normal driving

luckyfloridaluckyflorida Member Posts: 2
Hi, Recently purchased a 2003 Santa Fe 2.7 V6, Auto, 59,000 miles, One Owner, Garaged & immediately (the next day), used it on a 2500 mile roundtrip. After driving 300 - 400 miles on the interstate, the car jerked once at 70 mph & then was fine for the rest of the 1,250 miles.
On the return part, we just drove about 30 miles (of the 1,250 miles), the car jerked once at about 50 mph & we continued on without a problem for the rest of the trip.
Since the 2,500 mile trip, the Timing Belt-Water Pump & the Transmission Oil has been replaced.
Now after 3,500 miles of owning the car, it just jerked again at 50 mph. In all cases, we were just cruising along smoothly, not acceleratg or deceleratg. So we're averaging one jerk or kick every 1,000 miles. Did not look to see if the Tach dropped when it jerked-was more shocked when it happened, we'll have to remember that next time.
The car runs really great except for this problem.
ANY IDEAS ON WHAT IT IS? We would like to fix it before it becomes a major problem & a major expense. Our guess was the Timing Belt, but it wasn't (it was due for replacement anyway). Thanks.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That could be anything from a faulty gas pump to a problem with the crankshaft sensor. You should have all of your electronic controls checked.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    We had the exact same problem with our 2003. Did it twice in one day at 65 on the NJ Turnpike. Took it to the dealer and they could not find the problem. Way too scary for us. Someone put it in my head it could be the transfer case since the 2003 is All time 4WD. Turned it in for the 2007 Limited AWD. Since then the second owner started to complain to the dealer about this. ( Have a close friend in the shop) and after a few visits they replaced the crank position sensor. Been jerk free for 3k miles now. Have them look at that.

Otherwise a solid vehicle...

Good luck.

Anthony
  • luckyfloridaluckyflorida Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Anthony. Your the second reply mentiong this sensor & it was a factory recall for an earlier year Santa Fe in Canada, so we're going to have it replaced. The good part is that the car is still runng great (so far), since it seems to jerk on average every 1,000 miles. The bad part is that it would have real easy to do when we had the timg belt replaced, oh well. At least it feels good knowg what to look for.
    Thanks Again.
  • chris65chris65 Member Posts: 2
    My Santa Fe is a 2wd manual trans. I've seen this problem mentioned in the 4wd and v6 versions, anyone have it in the base model I'm driving? My local trusted mechanic can't duplicate the problem or find a source for it. My car has 65K miles, had the timing belt replaced under warranty at 40K, and 4 months ago had a new clutch and flywheel. I'm scared to drive anywhere but locally because it jerks at highway speed and twice now has died completely at only 30mph.
  • robshemirobshemi Member Posts: 1
    I mentioned this crank sensor to the Hyundai dealer and he said the sensor is only on the 4 cyclinder Santa Fe's. I didn't know there was a 4 cyclinder.
  • hatterasgrlhatterasgrl Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 4cylnd auto that has about 48k miles on it and mine was doing the same thing. I was jerking while on the highway and twice jerked and died at stoplights but both times started right back up....until it finally died completely while I was going 60 mph on the highway. VERY SCARY. It turned out to be the crank position sensor. Now it runs better than it did when I first bought it. They kept telling me it was the throttle body and that if I did the fuel injection flush that it would take care of the problem, but (even being a female :), I knew that they were wrong. Glad I didn't spend a bunch of extra money on things that were not the problem. Hope this is helpful to you!
  • hyundaigirl1hyundaigirl1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently replace my ignition wires and speak plug my truck starting to run better and then it would just cut off the mechanic that replace the parts adjust the idle and now my truck is running ruff what can i do
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    I had same problem, on my 2003 santa fe, back in july, 2006. Was repaired by hyundai dealer, as a warranty item, under tsb 04-40-007
  • troy31troy31 Member Posts: 3
    checked your tire condition,wheel balacing and allgnment
  • kizzee007kizzee007 Member Posts: 2
    luckyflorida; did you ever get that problems fixed? I'm having the same problem and have been told that it the ignition coils.
  • kizzee007kizzee007 Member Posts: 2
    Will bad ignition coils cause my 03 sante fe hyundai to jerk? The dealer can't fix the problem unless it happens when one of their mechanics drive it.