Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Engine Questions

nlesueurnlesueur Member Posts: 1
I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia that needs a new engine (90K miles). I have had no issues with it up till this week. I had the local Toyota dealer change the oil and they 'forgot' to put the oil back in. Needless to say the engine is ruined. They are offering to put a new engine in, or have me trade it in. I have 2 questions. What are any foreseeable issues that I could have with a replaced engine given the reason for the replacement? What is the cost for a new engine or a rebuilt one. I don't feel like the dealership is giving me a great deal right now and I want to make sure to make the right decision as to replace or trade in. Any thoughts anyone has on this would be great.

Comments

• ksmoothksmooth Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GO TO GET A DIESEL ENGINE FOR MY SEQUOIA... I AM TO BIG TO FIT IN ONE OF THOSE LITTLE CARS AND LOVE THE ROOM IN MY SUV BUT WANT TO SAVE SOME GAS.... HELP
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Yes,wait for the diesel Pilot.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You can get a GL320 CDI in 45 of the states. Or the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is in Showrooms NOW! Both use the same diesel engine. With a lot less hassle than adapting a diesel engine to your current SUV.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    Wow, you are asking for a ton of headaches.
    First off, the wiring won't support the diesel, neither will the fuel lines and tank, neither will the front suspension or the drivetrain.
    So, unless you are gonna take a diesel frame and running gear and put the Sequoia on it, you are in for a real nightmare.
  • hsp2hsp2 Member Posts: 2
    I changed the spark plugs on my sequoia and the engine misses now, what can be the problem.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Are the sockets seated properly? You may want to double check.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    I would buy one in a flash. I have 90K on my 02. Good for a 1/4 Million the way it feels. I will impatiently wait for a diesel. Hear that Toyota !!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GO TO GET A DIESEL ENGINE FOR MY SEQUOIA."

Sorry, but you can't. And even if you could, the cost would astronomical (and thus, not economical). If you want a diesel SUV, your choices are 1) buy a 45-state-legal Mercedes (ML320 or GL320) 2) VW Touareg V10, or 3) wait a few years until there are more diesel SUVs available.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    File a lawsuit. You should accept nothing less than a brand new engine given their complete and utter negligence. A lawsuit will be the only way to get their "full" attention and a complete repair of your vehicle. Don not accept a trade-in unless they are prepared to give you the full value of a retail sale, not trade-in value. Good luck.
  • handlebusinesshandlebusiness Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have a converted Sequoia running an Alternative Fuel???
  • emnem75emnem75 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all, I'm new to the board and I have a question. We bought a 2010 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with the 5.7L engine about 3 weeks ago. At 275 miles the check engine light came on and the dealer checked it saying it was the oil control valve sensor. They switched the sensors so they were on opposite banks. About a week later 550mi. the light came on again. This time dealer said it was the oil control valve sensor on one of the banks they had switched. They ordered the part and switched it out. The day we got it back from the dealer, the light came on again. Took it in again on Friday, and the OCV on the opposite side needed to be replaced. They kept the vehicle for the weekend ordered the part and on Tuesday called and said they had talked to Toyota and that they were told by Toyota not to change the sensor and they should do an oil change and give the car back to us. Toyota says this is a national problem with all the 2010 Sequoias and until they have figured out the problem the vehicle is driveable. Has anyone else had this problem? Whats the likelyhood this will cause a problem with the engine down the line? I sure hope they hurry up with the solution.
  • ratmratm Member Posts: 11
    We have a 2010 SR5 4X4 with the 4.6L engine. The check engine light came on at maybe 200 miles. We talked to two Toyota technicians and they both told us it was not a problem driving the SUV while the light is on. I was about to get it checked but the light does not come on anymore. I'm sure it was not a overfilled gas tank and I always make sure the gas cap is turned enough to hear the click. Thanks for letting us know about this problem. Please keep us updated. I now wonder if I should get the oil changed before the first scheduled oil change.
    Well, so far since we've gotten the vehicle back after the oil change the check engine light has not come on agian. We've driven about 500 miles since getting it back and no problems. Let's hope it stays that way.
  • bondmgrbondmgr Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2010 Limited with the 5.7L engine and the checkengine light has just come on at about 430 miles. We have only had the truck 7 days today. The dealer can't see us until Monday. I may have the oil changed ahead of the appointment and see what happens.
  • vetteishvetteish Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Limited 4x4, 5.7, the check engine light came on @ 230 miles and 7 days. Dealer cleared the code but did not have an answer for me. 1200 miles currently
  • reddysreddys Member Posts: 1
    I just got mine last week and I have little over 300 miles. Now I am nervous about it and started to think about the purchase. I like the ride and comfort. My kids love it too. I will let you know guys if I experience the same issue.
  • hellasmadhellasmad Member Posts: 1
    we just purchased a new plat. seq. Engine light came on and they are telling me about a tch boultn that explains some vehicals have metal shavings collected from the oil pan in the oil. They said it is safe to replace. I am not buying it. I left the truck at the lot and have been on hold with toyota for an hour. I dont know about you all but anything, in the oil means its in the engine.
  • jb2010jb2010 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 2010 plat 3 days ago and my check engine light came on at 200 miles. I am concerned given the money I paid for this vehicle. I am headed to the dealer first thing this morning. will let you know what this dealer tells me.
  • ratmratm Member Posts: 11
    Just a follow-up on my check-engine light. It came on at 200 miles for a while but never came back on since maybe 6 weeks. I had the truck for 2 months and there's 2000 miles on it. From what I read here, looks like it could be something that happen in the first 500 miles.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    I have an 2008 Sequoia and never have had the check engine light come on, wonder what is different between the 2008 models and the 2010?
    I would strongly recommend to those who have this problem show up send a sample of their oil off for analysis to be sure you don't have "metal" shavings in your oil.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I've read on other forums the CEL is very common, especially with the 4.6 engine. Almost to a person everyone who had the oil changed has not had the issue return. Now as for the 5.7 engine doing the same thing, this is the first I've read about it.
  • carlwilscarlwils Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed that on my 2010 SR5 5.7 the oil pressure increases significantly on acceleration. I've never seen this in a car before. Not sure if its related to your issue. I have 750 miles and no check engine light. Otherwise the truck is great!
  • fedflyguyfedflyguy Member Posts: 1
    emnem75 et. al.
    Just got a 2010 5.7L SR5, curious about any later followup after initial CEL?
    fedflyguy, a follow up. After all the initial check engine lights, the oil was changed and the light has not come back on. We talked to a Toyota rep and he said that the new 2010 sequoia has a redesigned oil control valve and that it is not working properly in some vehicles. He also said that they probably would issue a recall but that they have to manufacture a new part for the engine before they do. They still are saying that it does not affect the driveability.
  • vetteishvetteish Member Posts: 2
    No light since the 200 mile mark. 3100 miles now. No oil change
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Hi all. I have been considering buying a 2010 Platinum and have been posting over in the Prices Paid board, and I just saw this discussion. If you are experiencing a Check Engine Light problem, then you need to read what I say here and keep good records. Back in 2003 when we bought a Pathfinder, we had an identical problem in the first few thousand miles that drove me crazy with multiple trips to the dealer, wasted time, and conflicting explanations. What you need to know here is HUGE: in most states, if you have to take a new car to the dealer 3 times (I think that's the right number) for the same problem, and they can't fix it, then you fall within the Lemon Law . . . and it does NOT matter if the car is driveable or not. Simply put, even if driveable (my Nissan was deemed driveable as well), you are entitled to invoke your state law rights. Trust me, the dealers will try to intimidate you, but read up on your rights. Once you give them the Official Lemon Law Notice letter, they have 15 days (at least in my state) to fix it 100%, or they must buy the vehicle back from you for full price, plus reimburse you for all sorts of other things. This applies to ANY sort of defect in the vehicle that diminishes its value, including a Check Engine Light problem.

If they have attempted to repair your Check Engine Light problem twice without success, then one mention of "The Lemon Law" to the Consumer Affairs' folks will get their attention as they will probably send a regional repair expert in to make sure they fix it on the 3rd try. A Check Engine Light can be a major annoyance on a brand new vehicle, and don't let a dealer try to belittle it. I don't remember all the details of the Lemon Law, but I gave an enormous amount of detail in the Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance & Repair forum. See: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea46ec/0
    The summary of my experience with the Lemon Law and Check Engine Light can be found at Posts 672-678 in that forum (and also a copy of the letter that I used threatening to give them the official notice). Knowledge is power, and believe me, if I shell out over $50K for a Platinum and have to go through a Check Engine light experience with Toyota, then I will not waste anytime in exercising my rights.

In the end, Nissan resolved the pesky Check Engine Light problem, but I was able to get Nissan Corporate to give me (in exchange for not Lemon Lawing the vehicle) (1) a 5-year platinum gold total service contract (maintenance every 3 months, with free car rentals even at major oil changes) and (2) a 7-year extended warranty, both of them for FREE. The value of those two things was worth thousands, and it made living through the Check Engine Light problem much more "palatable." :)

Check it out and Good Luck.
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for us, we were told, by a toyota representative, that if you went through the arbitration with Toyota and lost you could still pursue the lemon law afterward. We opted to go through Toyota, naively figuring they would want to make this right, after all it was our 4th new Toyota purchase and our 6th Toyota vehicle in the last 16 years. , besides we could always do the lemon law after if we were not satisfied. We lost our arbitration and then found out that in order to invoke the lemon law in our state that we would have to have the check engine light come on an addditional 2 more times. Well, we now have 7700 miles and no check engine light but the whole experience has diminished the excitement and joy of owning this very nice vehicle. Believe me we will not be faithful, loyal Toyota customers after this.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Sorry to hear that.

Yes, over time, I have changed my approach with car manufacturers (and the dealers to some extent) from a trust & "kill them with kindness approach" to a no-nonsense, business, firm (but not rude) approach. As for loyalty, it got me nothing when I recently tried to have a steering wheel radio control replaced under my extended warranty with Nissan. Even being an attorney, there was no way I could get anyone at Corporate, or the 3rd-party company who backs the warranty, to cite any specific language in my actual contract excluding the repair (and the dealer even agreed with my interpretation). My option was small claims court, which I ruled out as a waste of time over a $300 repair.

But points being: (1) these guys don't care about loyalty; (2) many of these extended warranties (after much legal review of the fine print) on average are not worth it IMHO (fortunately, I paid $0 for mine); and (3) I will never buy a Nissan again based simply on that experience with Nissan Corporate (and that is despite the fact that the vehicle has performed well over last 7 years). [Irony is I am no longer buying Nissan, so I am now looking at Toyota, while you are fed up with Toyota and may now be shopping elsewhere, perhaps Nissan. :) ]

So, long story to my point: any time you have experienced at least 2 failed attempts to repair the same problem (no matter how small) on a brand new vehicle, I would recommend to all that they do their own independent check of their state's law (lots of stuff online, do not rely on dealer's or Toyota's representations) and then raise the Lemon Law threat immediately . . . in a professional and fair, but firm way. Until you get the attention of the right folks, and until they get the impression that you know what you are talking about vis-a-vis your state law rights, then you can easily get the run-around with a lot of wasted time and trips to the dealer with ever-changing explanations like I did (and perhaps you did).

I will never go through that game again on a new car. Dealer gets 2 tries, and then its time to start standing up for my rights and tell these guys they are on the verge of buying the car back for full price, plus reimbursing me for lost time, wages, attorney fees, and even the cost of after-market accessories. And, like you, I have found loyalty counts for zip with these guys.

I wish every merchant could be as fair and customer-friendly as, say, a Nordstrom's! :) But, that's not the case unfortunately.
  • UncleJayUncleJay Member Posts: 4
    9 times out of 10, its the gas cap causing the CEL to come on. Next most frequent cause is over-filling the tank and flooding the carbon canister on cornering.

Dont top off, and tighten the capp 3 clicks.
  • bigfatdave1bigfatdave1 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    My 05 toyota sequoia sr5 has an issue with rpm dropping during moderate acceleration,such as merging to hwy speeds. The drop is about 50 rpm for about a quarter of a second and repeats at a regular interval of about one second. It is not intermittent, but very regular. I have replace spark plugs and air filter with no change. Car runs great otherwise. A mechanic suggested it may be related to the magnetic accelerator system Toyota uses. Anyone have a similar experience or a solution?
  • hsp2hsp2 Member Posts: 2
  • roundman327roundman327 Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 2004 toyota sequoia, when driving with the a/c on randomly once a day the vsc light comes on and engine dies, pop in neutral fires back up and works fine again, did pull road trip last weekend happend on way driving 70 with a/c on but not on way back with a/c off, the light that comes on is the light with the car and two sqwiggly lines, then engine shuts off, why is this happening. Also this started after i replaced a rear tailshaft seal that was leaking actually the driveshaft yoke was leaking this is the only thing ive done to this truck besides brakes and services
  • jamatrixjamatrix Member Posts: 1
    My ex wife was borrowing my 2003 Toyota Sequoia which has been running fine. Today she went to start the car and the security key light was flashing on the dash and the relay under the hood was cycling. It appears that the system is immobilized. I tried the spare key but still nothing. The light stops flashing when key is turned. Did flashing light drain the battery or is this a damaged key chip?
  • lalaninatllalaninatl Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Toyota Sequoia has an ignition problem after getting into a wreck. Everytime i turn the key to start the car, it will start but then it dies right after. Anyone know what could be causing this issue?