Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Peter78 is exactly correct. When towing, you ALWAYS turn off the overdrive unless you like cooked transmission fluid. Even domestic V8 trucks tell you this in the owner's manual. Keep in in 3rd and keep your foot heavy on the gas pedal.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I was in a meeting today at a Toyota dealer trying to sell them some of my BS and over heard the GM telling the sales manager 03 4Runner's will be available in early September. One month ahead of schedule.

Take it for what its worth.
  • nodefectnodefect Member Posts: 26
    Got this off the web, below is the link and caption, could this be the 03 4Runner? The front end looks like the GX 470.

http://www.top-spy.com/Contact/Car05/car05.html

Toyota Landcruiser 90/Prado

At the 2002 Detroit Auto Show, Lexus introduced its new GX470 Sport Utility Vehicle. Here is a photo of Toyota’s sister-model, the Toyota Landcruiser (Prado). The two vehicles share the same size and shape, however, front-end design, lights, bumpers, trim, side moldings, and spare tire location are different to give each one its own unique style. The Lexus is powered by a 4.7 liter V8 engine, but the Landcruiser (Prado) will likely stick with a variety of 4 and 6 cylinder engines, leaving the V8 to the luxury division. The current model, also known in some countries as the LandCruiser 90, was introduced in 1996. It is sold in many countries around the world.

I heard today that the 03 4Runner will be on the lots by mid September, my source also told me no 3rd row seat at release.

• tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    First off, thanks rward99 for your further assessment of the '03 styling. It makes me feel better knowing that.

Secondly, here's a quote from "Testdriver" on another forum:

"I drove a new 2002 4-runner this Friday. Salesman told me that one of their truck drivers had seen the 2003 4-Runner sitting at the port of entry in Houston."

Not sure what that means for the release schedule, but it made my heart skip a beat!

And finally, I think that link in Nodefect's post shows the 4Runner, not the Prado. It's the same vehicle that was shown in Truckin' a couple of months ago, from a different angle, but you can see more detail on Top Spy's site. If this is the Prado, shouldn't it have a fender-mounted mirror on the left fender, and shouldn't the steering wheel be on the right side? As far as I can tell, this looks like what all the insiders have been describing as the 4Runner. Maybe you guys can shed some better light? And what's with the rear gate tire mount?! I don't want that!!! Maybe this is the Prado...
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    if v6 4runner is so good at towing why are they putting a v8 in the 03? cliffy did you ever travel at 75 mph with o.d. off for 1000 miles? you won't cook the tranny, just the engine! i have owned so called suv's since my first 74 k blazer, and the sickest engines were my 90 v6 and 96 v6 4runners. one good thing was the quality.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Sivi1, it is true that you buy Toyota for it's quality and trouble-free ownership,but, in the past, you didn't buy the 4-Runner for it's towing capability. But, the fact remains that you can do light duty towing with it and feel somewhat happy. I know that depending on the package that came with your 4-Runner, it would probably make a difference in the rear end gear ratio. I know that mine came with the optional P265 70 16 tire wheel combo and quite possibly the gearing was different when vehicles came with this rather than the base tires?? I would hope so, I know that some of the Sport Editions come with a 4:10 which is GREAT for light towing/rock crawling. But, face the fact, if Toyota wasn't planning on coming out with a V-8, I would garage my 4-Runner and buy either the Tundra or an F-250 when/if I purchase my 3200 lb boat. I would have NEVER purchased a 4-Runner if I intended on towing because most people know that you purchase either a 1/2 ton (minimally),but, most likely a 3/4 ton for the normal stuff??
  • 4skinner4skinner Member Posts: 8
    Just want to mention that i found this board about 2 years ago when i owned a izusu trooper. Just purchased a 1998 SR5 4 runner And was looking for some performance improvement. I've scanned this board for info on the K & N FI performance kit. Read one post that stated the kit resulted in little felt improvement.

From the K & N site they mention a 28% increase in HP and roughly 23% increase in torque. But they dont have the exact figures for the 4runner.

So my questions are
    1) what is the increase in HP and torque..if any?
    2) any one have a long term relationship with the Kit?
    3) any one found the Kit for less than $276?

Thanks everyone, have a good one.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I don't have very much info for you,but, I had the dealer install the filter charger kit and they ended up taking it out because they could not get the check engine light to go off?? It was fairly quiet until you put your foot into it and then it had a throaty sound. If I remember correctly, the dealer told me that it offered up 10 extra HP and a little more torque on the upper end?? It did help a little,but, couldn't work the electrical issues out. About a year ago, I installed a TRD replacement air filter ($80) and I noticed better gas mileage and a little more upper end breathing....
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    im 6ft 4 inchs im thinking about the 4 runner but i ask this will i have alot of rm in it? im in a exploder 2000 is it much more rm in 4 runner than the other thing? plus 340 lbs thanks plus how is the ride i might test drive one but im not ready to buy so i trust advice thanks.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Can you write that in english please? That is some of the worst grammar I have ever seen.
  • semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    This car here:

http://www.top-spy.com/Contact/Car05/car05.html

is NOT the new 4Runner. Doesn't even look like it. That car there is a Prado. I have seen and driven Prado in other countries. That is not a 4Runner, senator!

• norwesternernorwesterner Member Posts: 94
    Do you think it may be possible this is a language he is learning and that you may not do so well in his native language if that's the case?
    Semantics- I hope you are correct on this one, if the new 4Runner looks anything like that I'll look for something else. I guess the GX 470 is in my future, any word on a ballpark price on the GX 470 ?
    I'm a little confused, and want to clear something up. You said that you've driven the Prado in other countries, but this spy shot is of the all-new platform, whether it's a 4Runner or Prado, so how can you be so sure, just because you've driven the old one? I'm not attacking you at all, I'm just trying to follow your statement that doesn't make sense to me right now. Also, doesn't the Prado have the fender-mounted rear-view mirror on the left fender and the steering wheel on the right side? Now, they could have left the mirror off, and there are other countries that drive on the right lane like in the US where they might sell the Prado, but why does it have a license plate that looks like a Michigan plate?

I'm just obsessing and looking for answers, because I'm with Nodefect, and concerned about the styling. That roof looks like it slopes down in the rear, like the Highlander or Axiom, which is something I don't like, and this vehicle has the same swing gate as the GX, but with a built-in tire mount (minus the tire), which is something I REALLY don't want. It's also contrary to what several insiders have reported about there being the same kind of liftgate with power window on the '03 as the current model, but with a new close-assist function. Those fenders do resemble the GX, so I'm really confused about what we're looking at here.

To everyone who has actually seen the new 'Runner, what do you think?

Also, Nodefect, I believe the pricing on the GX is supposed to fall between the RX and LX.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Will someone who is 6'4" and 340 pounds fit in a 4Runner?

Short answer: NO

Long answer: I am 6'4" and I bought a 4Runner without a sunroof. Barely enough head room and at stop lights you have to bend your head down to see the stop light. The current generation 4Runner is somewhat narrow and suffers in hip room, I am over 100 pounds less than 340, (still I am a big guy) and the fit is snug. At 340 pounds it well might be too snug. My advice is to look at the 2003 4Runner or to stick with your Explorer.
    After looking at the spy photo right next to the photo of the GX 470 on the Lexus site and comparing them I am convinced the spy photo is the new 4Runner. The door frames are identical ! and if you look closely enough at the spy photo, the headlights are identical to the ones on the GX 470. Look closely at the under side of the spy photo, is that a spare tire ? I know it shows a rear mount, but maybe they were just testing the two types of spares. When the two photos are compare side by side, they look very much alike when you look past the disguise job that Toyota has on the spy photo.

tbcreative- You are right ! that is a Michigan plate !!!!!

I guess we can speculate all we want, it's kind of fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love my 99 SR5, but I want more size and more safety features, my 99 can roll pretty easy, I want more stability and side curtain airbags for my wife and son. For these reasons a new 4Runner or GX 470 interest me. I do not want to pay the Lexus price tag, but if I have to, I will ! My 4Runner goes in for gas, oil changes and routine maintenance PERIOD !!!!!!!!!! I thought I would never own a Japanese car, but I had had enough with repairs. I have a 94 Accord that is fantastic and the 4Runner's quality is even better. I will wait for Toyota to build a car that suits me. When the American manufactures decide to build better cars, I will buy one. It's ashame, we have the technology to build the best cars in the world and we refuse to do it! Cars are too expensive to replace when the warrenties run out. The nice thing about Honda and Toyota is that you can trade them in when you want to, not because you have to.
  • svibes1svibes1 Member Posts: 1
    I had a 95 4runner and it is the worst car I have ever owned. It had an embarassingly weak v6 engine that was a bit thirsty,it had a low towing capasity, the interior was very dull and boring, and the engine was two noisy. the only good thing i can say is that it never gave any problems.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I just got off the phone with one of the Pacific ports and they said that they don't see anything about a 3rd row seat on any of the spec sheets. I think we can pretty well rule it out, at least until next year.

They also said that employees will not be able to order one until January or February. (I'm glad I was going wait until then anyway, or I'd be ticked.) They want to make sure the dealerships get as many as possible.

I asked if any were coming in soon and they said that they are a ways out yet; not until (as I said before) August for the dealerships and September for consumers. (This is pretty standard) I asked about the possibility of a 2003 in Texas (Gulf States Toyota) and they couldn't confirm or deny that, but said they "doubted" it. Gulf States and Southeast Toyota are independantly owned ports dealing directly with Toyota in Japan.

As for the spy shot, I can't tell anything. It's so heavily disquised that it's hard to tell what it is. As if it wasn't bad enough they stick that great big "Top-Spy" right on top of it. (That's about useless.) But I've seen the Prado and it doesn't appear to me to look like a 4Runner at all.
    Thanks again for your update! Where have you seen the new Prado? I've seen the illustration, but is there a photo you can share? Just curious...

What do you think of the fact that that vehicle in the spy shot has a Michigan plate? Do you think it's more likely to be a 4Runner? It is annoying that Top Spy couldn't have been as subtle as Brenda Priddy & Co. with protecting their photos.

This will all be over soon, right?
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    Is there LATCH on the '02 4Runners?? If not, is it a big deal?? Thanks.
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    It will be required to have both upper and lower attach points, as will all vehicles manufactured after 9/2002.
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Just re-read your message. The 2002's are only required to have Phase I which is the upper straps and I believe that is all they have.
  • markcervmarkcerv Member Posts: 1
    Back in April you posted this message:

---start here---
    #1525 of 2072 4Runner electronic mods by wally27 Apr 26, 2002 (07:26 pm)

...My point with this post is to find out if anyone is interested in a few 4Runner circuit mods. I have the $250 shop manuals and can, disable the daytime running lights (with a better method than disconnecting pin 2...), shut off the key reminder chime, and turn the power outlets on the dash to full time (not switched) so your cell phone charges full time.
    ---stop here---

I've got a 2002 4Runner, and I would LOOOOOVVVEEEEEE to shut off the damn key reminder chime.

Please post how to do this (or post a URL).

Thanks,
    mark
  • ttlmeterttlmeter Member Posts: 6
    Hey 4Runner owners and Toyota enthusiasts!

How come Toyota does not have an on/off switch for DRL on their trucks/SUVs? And how much shorter bulb life is there due to the DRL? I don't do mods or maintenance on cars or trucks, just drive them. I love my 2000 4Runner Ltd, but wish that it came with a DRL switch or autosensor.
  • hermesnthermesnt Member Posts: 5
    Cliffy - after having my tires rotated by the dealer (not mentioning names - but very close to home ;) the truck developed a pull to the right. 6 alignments later, truck drives straight, but steering wheel is slightly off. Front tires wear on inside edge. Alignment shop indicates all within specs.

Is this a know issue?
  • bigcitycheesebigcitycheese Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm preparing for a x-country trip in my '02 4WD Limited. I'm going to be towing a small (5'x 8')
    U-haul trailer. According to the manual this should be well within the 4Runners 5000 lbs capacity.

I'm new to towing and I would appreciate any insight and experience that one could share. I'm driving from Illinois to California.

I had a few questions off hand :

1.)What gear should I use for towing ? I always heard that you should not use the normal drive gear (with o/d engaged). Does anybody have any experience here on what would be optimal ?

2.) Is it OK to run A/C while towing ?

3.) Is it OK to have cruise control engaged while towing ?

4.) Would you have radiator flushed prior ? Any special considerations for transmission fluid ?

This will be my first towing gig and I want to make sure to get it right. Also, I want to make sure that I do not harm my beloved 4Runner.

I would appreciate any insight that anyone could share.

Thank You
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    you know what i did not ask your advice and so do not answer anything i ask for ok thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's cool it guys!

We all make errors in typing, spelling, grammar etc. And anything posted on the boards is open to general discussion by anyone anytime. Let's be a bit more tolerant.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I've just seen the photos of the Prado, not an actual vehicle. They're on the Toyota Australia site: http://www.toyota.com.au I compared those versions of the Prado to the 4Runner.

>spy shot has a Michigan plate?

Toyota has a technical center in Michigan, but as far as I know they design for American plants. It's possible they had an SUV of some sort that they were evaluating. I know that Georgetown has its own test track, and there is a big one in Arizona. On private property you don't need a tag. OTOH, if they wanted some opinions from the quality people they may ship over just about anything, put a tag on it and let them drive it on public roads. But the 4Runner is so close to market that it's long past any of that. They are in production now; they won't change anything unless there is a very good reason (i.e., safety or quality). When the Sienna was there for the Detroit (1997?) auto show they just drove it up I-75 from the plant.

>Do you think it's more likely to be a 4Runner?

If it is, because of the cladding, I can't tell anything. I'd rather see a real photo of the real, unclad, vehicle. I'm content to wait for that. Personally, I'd like to see the interior again, since that's where I'll be spending most of my time. :-)

>This will all be over soon, right?

They keep saying August, but it's almost August now, and the port says it doesn't have any on the radar yet. I'll be glad when they get here so I can take an up close look. Pictures just don't do it for me. :-(

Hang in there! (Think how much fun it will be in here after they arrive. I hope it stays civil and doesn't become like the other discussions in here.)

• jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I got the impression that the little black knobby thing on the edge of the dash (next to the vent next to the windshield) is a DRL sensor, although I don't know how it works since I've never seen it turning the DRLs off.
  • norwesternernorwesterner Member Posts: 94
    I don't know if all 4Runners come with a transmission cooler but if not I'd definitely add one.
  • muskadinemuskadine Member Posts: 19
    Here's a question: anybody have a guess as to how juicy Toyota will have to make their incentive programs to bleed the 2002 4Runners off the dealers' lots before the 2003s come out?

Right now where I live in Northern California, Toyota's offering 1.9/2.9/3.9 percent financing for 3,4, or 5 years, respectively, OR $1300 cash back. For Toyota, those are pretty attractive incentives.

How much better will it get? I went to get my routine service for my Tacoma today and walked around the lot a bit. I noticed that there were still over a dozen 4Runners on the lot--mostly 4X4 SR5s and a few 4X4 Limiteds. There was only one 4X2, however. Coincidence?

Here's my quandry: my wife and I want to get a 4Runner, but, in relative terms, I'm not sure that we'll find the 2003 much of an upgrade over the existing model. We're on a budget, and if the past is any indicator, the 2003s will be selling at or above MSRP for quite a while. Plus, the low finance rates make the 2002 a real looker. Don't get me wrong: the 2003 will be awesome.

But this may be an example of when an existing model, coupled with attractive incentives, may just create a more ideal package than the newest machine at steeper prices. For us, anyway.

Anyhow, any guesses on how the Toyota incentives will go?

We may be tempted to pull the trigger sometime soon. Although having the 4Runner's ground clearance will come in handy during some drives into trailheads during our vacation in the Sierras this week--it ain't gonna happen too soon. Too bad my Tacoma Prerunner can't haul all five of us!

muskadine
    You tricked me! I thought you had seen photos of the RE-DESIGNED Landcruiser Prado, not the same one that's on the Toyota Japan site, which has been around since '96 and is based on the current 4Runner platform. There's an illustration in my photo album that shows the all-new Prado, that shares the same platform as the GX and new 'Runner here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A18A24CF

I thought you had seen an actual photograph of this new design. I guess Toyota is keeping tight raps on that as well. It's a real mystery as to why they decided to release photos of the GX 470 and display it at the auto shows, unless they wanted to build some initial hype for an all-new product to help boost sales. And of course, they don't have to worry about dealers trying to get rid of '02 inventory on it either.

The Aussie site further confirms my feelings that the Top-Spy picture is NOT a Prado, because again, the steering wheel is on the right side of the Prado, but on the left in the spy pic. I'm pretty sure that the Prado is a right driver only. As far as all of the spy shots of the '03, all 4 were shot in snow of 2 different vehicles that resemble each other, from different angles. So I'm guessing it was some time last winter, probably in Michigan, which leads me to believe changes could have been made since these photos were taken. I don't know why they've taken so long to filter down to the public though.

Again, thanks for your input, Rward99. It is going to be a lot of fun coming to this forum after it hits the dealers! I hope it stays civil too, otherwise I'm outta' here.
    Also, isn't that license plate nook too small for foreign markets? Wouldn't it need to be wider to accomodate the wider plates in other countries?

Food for thought...
    The more I compare the Top Spy shot to the GX 470 I see more and more similarities. I think these two vehicles will be worth the wait.

Why isn't Toyota going to offer a 3rd seat in the 4Runner? It does not make sense since the Gx 470 will have one.
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    I've towed using the trailer you've spoken of. You won't have too much trouble with the 4x8 unless you pack it full of really heavy stuff. You will definitely know you're pulling something though. Towing with a 4Runner is not something to do on a regular basis. Really, you shouldn't be pulling anything of significant weight with any mid-sized suv regardless of the power. The biggest concern I have is stopping and controlling a heavy trailer. Only 3/4 ton and heavier trucks are suited for heavy towing. I've also pulled a 6X12 and that was a bad idea. The 4Runner is unstable at freeway speeds and needs a lot of room to stop.

Just give yourself plenty of room to stop and turn the overdrive off. Also, make sure you load more weight on the front of the trailer than on the rear. You don't want to be lifting the truck up.

I believe all of the newer model 4Runners have transmission coolers.
    I tow a lot. In fact, with my current Tundra, over half of my 36K miles has been with a 4200 pound boat behind it. Prior to this truck, I owned 3 T-100s (gotta love those lease programs). Small trailers present few problems for the Runner. Here are a few tips:

Keep the overdrive off. Another participant questioned this, but he is ill informed. Even though the Runner does have a transmission oil cooler, you will really strain it if you let it get into 4th gear. Yes, the RPMs will be high, but this is a DOHC engine that performs well under those circumstances. It is really designed for higher RPMs.

Yes, you can use the AC. Don't worry about that one at all.

Cruise control *may* be able to be used. It really depends upon how heavy the trailer is. I'd rule against it, but if the trailer is fairly light (as in less than 1000 pounds), I don't see why not.

My typical towing involves highway speeds (70 to 80 MPH) and quite a bit of up and down driving down I-95 in Virginia. This isn't mountain driving by any stretch. I usually have the AC blasting. I use the 3 gears at my disposal and a heavy foot on the gas to keep up with traffic. I also leave more room for stopping, although the brakes on my trailer will stop me nearly as fast as I can when unladen (disc brakes on BOTH axles).

Oh, and I personally never use cruise control.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to trick you.I didn't realize the Prado was getting a redesign too. (I couldn't get to that link you posted.) That's the Australia site I posted, not Japan.

BTW, left / right drive isn't difficult. These plants build cars for all over the world. Shifting production is fairly routine. One comes off the line right behind the other.

So let's say the spy shot IS the new 4Runner. Do you like the redesign? Is it the complete make over you expected? What do you like best about it?
  • semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    In regards to your post about the incentives, down in Southern CA, the rebates are $1500 or in lieu of the rebates, there are also 1.9, 2.9 and 3.9 finance rates for folks with good to great credit history. That seems to be a very good incentive in Southern CA and sales for 4Runner are actually up 19% over last year at this time on pretty much the same product.

That is indicative of the incentives working very well in a marketplace fraught with serious competition. Even some of the Toyota product competes with itself. Limited 4WD 4Runner buyers are definitely smart to instead look at a Limited Highlander, and a Sequoia for similar pricing. That sort of competition is very different than what the market was in 1998, 1999, and 2000.
  • muskadinemuskadine Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the pricing perspective. If sales are up nearly 20% as you say, then I'd venture Toyota is pricing the Runner just right.

But for me, even more generous incentives would be fantastic.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

muskadine
    I'd be very surprised if the incentives got any better than they are now. I guess it is possible, but not likely. The vehicles are moving at a good clip and the supplies are dwindling at a pace that will leave almost none by the time the 2003s arrive in late September. That is Toyota's goal. Unless the current pace slowed considerably, I don't see that they would have a reason to change things.
    Okay, here's the info straight from Ron at Top-Spy:

"The issue of identifying prototypes is always a difficult one, especially when the car/truck is heavily disguised as is typical of Toyotas. I also originally thought the truck shown in the Top-Spy site was the 4Runner. What changed my mind is when we also got photos of a different Toyota SUV, also being tested at the same time as the Prado. I believe the other SUV, not shown on the Top-Spy site, is the
    4Runner. It is a completely different-looking vehicle than the Prado. One major difference is it has the rear tailgate with retracting rear window, typical of the 4Runner. The Prado has a side-hinged door [like the GX 470]. A [spy] photo of the 4Runner appeared in the June issue of Truckin', and [another] in the July/Aug issue of Truck Trend, in case you would like to get a look at it. Having left hand drive and no fender mirrors on the Prado is not all that unusual since the Prado is sold in many countries outside of Japan.

As noted on our web page, we sell automotive prototype photos to major periodicals only. We do not sell or provide photos to the general public. If you represent an automotive periodical and are interested in buying photos for publication, then please give me information about your magazine's content and circulation and I would be happy to discuss prices and publishing rights with you."

So he confirms your logic, Rward99, that the steering wheel and fender mirror are not indications. I realize that your link was to the Australian site, which is what I meant in my post in reference to "Aussie." I was just making the point that it was the same vehicle as the one on the Japan site. Sorry you can't get that link to work. Some people seem to have trouble with Yahoo! Photos, and some don't. It usually helps if you register with them, if you haven't already.

As far as the new design meeting my expectations, I'm with you. It's just too hard to make an assessment at this time, with all of the black-out on. From what I know so far about the interior and many of the new features, I'm sold! I like the basic shape of what we can see, and the front end looks pretty cool so far as I can tell. If it looks as bold and beefy as the GX, while retaining the sculpted accents of the current design, then sign me up for a Sport Edition 4x4 in black please! Of course, like you, I'm waiting until after the V6 becomes available to test both engines, and I'm able to get close to invoice for it too, maybe with some 2003 incentives as well.
    Well I pulled the trigger on a new Sequoia today. I was able to get it for $5,000 under list,$40,272 which is invoice. List was $45,371 They gave me 4.75% for 5 years through Chase bank and $19,000 for my 99 SR5 with 40,000 miles on it. I think I did pretty well, does anybody have an opinion on how I did ? I am curious !
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Purchase price was as good as it gets and they really steped up to plate on your trade. That interest rate is better than the 5.9% for 60 I got on my wifes RX00 from our credit union.

You won!
  • pica1pica1 Member Posts: 23
    I'm three weeks into owning a '99 4Runner (SR5, 4WD) and hope you can help me with a few questions...

1) The 4Runner has 265/70R16 tires, with the rear tires showing more wear than the front. I don't know if they've ever been rotated (heck, I don't know if they're even original equipment -- did the 4Runner come stock with Wrangler RT/S?) How often should I rotate the tires?

2) Much to my chagrin, I noticed a few days ago that I don't have a spare tire. There's a rim, but no tire (I checked the rest of the truck over at the dealership, but it never occurred to me to think that a truck with 27,000 miles on the odometer wouldn't have a spare). What size spare should I be carrying? The truck came with a Toyota trailer hitch, for what it's worth.

3) I'm getting close to the 30,000 mile mark, and due for both an oil change and scheduled maintenance. I'm considering switching to synthetic oil. What brand works best in the 4Runner? What about differential fluids?

4) Speaking of oil changes, should I stick with the Toyota oil filter, or is there another brand that works as well? What about the oil plug? Do I need to stock up on crush washers or the like?

I really like the truck so far (even though it wasn't what we were looking for to replace my S10, but that's a different story). Thanks for the help!

Mark
    jimxo- I went in there originally with a check from PeopleFirst.com. They had a 72 month rate at 6.25 if I would use automatic withdrawl. When I went to finalize the papers the business manager said they could not come close to the 6.25% on 72 months but they could offer me 4.75% on 60 months through Chase Manhattan Bank because of my credit rating. My credit union was a 5.65% for 60 months and 6.50% on 72. It seemed too good to pass up so I bit the bullet on the higher payment and saved over $3,000 in interest. I could not believe I got that rate on a Toyota that does not basically have any incentives right now. The dealer I went to had 5 Sequoia's that they were selling at this price. The only one that was not listed in their add was the one we purchased a silver sky colored one. They told me that color was not part of the sale, but that Thunder gray was.I do not know if this was a trick or not, but I stuck to my guns and was going to walk out if they would not offer me the price on the silver sky colored one, they made the deal. One thing struck me as really funny however ! When I was cleaning my car out, they approached me and said " we have a problem, we thought you SR5 was a 2000, you have a 99" I told them you knew it was a 99 because of the black fender flares,and secondly the sales manager was the person who sold me my 99 SR5. To make a long story short, he made it work. Why would he approach me with this when he knew darn well I would toss the deal if they tried to change it ? Is this a tactic they use to make you think you got a tremendous deal to keep you coming back ? I was really confused as to why he would even mention it to me, where they trying to get out of the deal becuase they had a buyer for the silver sky at the higher price and were going to try and get me to switch to thunder gray ? I really thought they were going to come back at me and say we thought your SR5 was a 2000, we will honer our price on the vehicles on the sales list, not on this one. Well it did not happen, I can't figure what they were trying to do.
    I just traded a 99 SR5 with 40,000 miles. You probably need to do the 30,000 mile service which is in th $500 to $800 range.

That spare is a full size spare !

I changed my oil every 3,000 miles and it ran like a top !!! I just always used manufactures suggested oil and always took it to Toyota for $19.95

The service manuel I believe wants the tires rotated evey 7,500 miles, I am not sure. Those Wrangles are great!!!!! my tires had a long way to go even with 40,000 miles on them. I am very disappointed my new Sequoia has Bridgestones on it. I tried to get Goodyears, but they could only offer Dunlops, so I left the Bridgestones.

The only reason I traded my 4Runner is because I wanted vehicle skid control and side air bags for my wife and son. My 99 Sr5 was great !!
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    My passenger side front window is making up it's own mind when it wants to go up or down. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. It's electic and on my only 12K miles 2001 4Runner. It's hot in July and before I haul it to the 1 hour away dealership, any easy answers? Thanks!
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    "nodefect was right on in answering your questions. As far as using using synthetic motor oil, I changed from Castrol GTX (regular oil) to Mobil 1 (synthetic). Castrol also make a synthetic that uses "hydrocracked" oil and is not based on a PAO Base. Castrol figures and specs are not as good as PAO bases. Amsoil synthetic is good BUT do not go for extended oil drains, at least till after your Toyota warranty of 60,000 miles runs out. I change every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1.

As far a drain plug washer, Toyota uses a special thin "teflon like" washer that cost about a buck apiece. I have never seen other companies use this type of washer.

I use Toyota filter but I heard Mobil 1 and Amsoil filters are good. I know to stay away from Fram filters.

Edmunds Maintaince. Forum is a good place for more opinions on these questions.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    I know this might be a simple thing, but did you check to make sure the window lock is off (I've forgotten about the window lock a couple times myself).