Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Frontier Electrical Issues

dgatchdgatch Member Posts: 1
The speed odometer stopped working on our 1998 Nissan Frontier Pickup. Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how we might be able to fix it?

Thank you.
dee

Comments

• Options
    ljp4ljp4 Member Posts: 1
    I have read from other blogs that many Nissan owners are having problems with their fuel gauge reading. I too am now having problems. All at once, my 2005 Nissan Frontier's fuel gauge has started going bonkers. It reads full fuel okay, but once it gets to about half full, it will drop to empty and the yellow near empty light comes on. Also, the Service Engine light also comes on until I fill-up again after a while. The other thing is that I keep my mileage setting to DTE (distance to empty), and once the gauge gets to about half full, the DTE reading goes to all dashes, so I really have no idea as to how much gas I have left, or what distance I can drive until I really have to fill up again.

I called a Nissan service rep, and he told me that I would have to pay $90 just for them to hook the scope to it, but he thought it sounds like the sensor located in the gas tank has gone bad. After reading all the other people with the same problem, it sure sounds to me like Nissan needs to look at this problem.

Has anyone else had this same problem, and did Nissan take care of the problem for free?
  • Options
    asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Yes, I had a similar problem with my '06, except my Service Engine Soon lamp lit. It was covered under warranty, as I was within the time period. If your SES light is lit, it's very likely the same problem. If so, there's a TSB on it.

TSB: NTB07069 - Fuel gauge is erratic, inaccurate, or inoperative. And/or The MIL is "ON" with DTC P0461, P0462, or P0463 stored in Self-Diagnosis. Replace the fuel level sending unit.

It's not a hairy fix. They drop the fuel tank (they ask you to come in when it's near empty to lighten it up) and replace the fuel sender and I think there's a guard in there they need to replace too. Good luck.
  • Options
    dunkin1dunkin1 Member Posts: 1
    Have no power to On Board Diagnostics, so I can't get inspection. Unclear from fuse diagram which fuse is used for this, so I can change it - any ideas? May not be fuse, but it's someplace to start.
  • Options
    2tailwhip2tailwhip Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 1998 Nissan Frontier. all of my guages quit working all of a sudden. Did you figure out how to get them working?
  • Options
    higgitjhiggitj Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem. The background light to the speedometer, tach, and gearshift selector suddenly went out. I can't see how fast I'm driving at night. I've taken the dash apart 6 times, found no loose connections, checked every fuse. Any ideas where to look? The dealer told me they'd have to tear it apart and look for broken connections, which is what I did.
  • Options
    Sometimes vehicles are purposely wired this way so that the driver gets an immediate warning that one or both brake lamps are burned out. It's probably not the root of your trouble, but it's worth a check.
  • Options
    ronpearlandronpearland Member Posts: 1
    I have the 05 crewcab v6 4x2 with 61000 miles on it. Mine did the same thing. Called the dealership and it would be 700.00 to fix the fuel sensor. My mechanic will do it for around 300.00. It seems that everytime I fill up it really jacks it up.
  • Options
    wfcoalrunwfcoalrun Member Posts: 3
    My 1998 Frontier had the same problem. Faulty components in the instrument cluster. Nissan knows this is a problem. No clusters available, domestic repair of clusters start @ $300.00. I sent mine to MR. Wizard in Canada, cost about $160.00 to refurbish and repair all components in the cluster. They guarantee it to be better than original equip. Google Mr. Whizard Technical Services and you will get a link. They provide UPS pickup and reship, all included in the service. It was pretty hassle free. You have to remove your cluster (4 screw and 2 connectors ?) and yes you can drive the vehicle without cluster in the truck. Just be good at estimating speed and keep gas in it. Mine was returned in 6 business days. Good Luck
  • Options
    Nissan has finally announced a recall on the fuel tank level sensor problem and has sent letters to affected owners. The offending part has been re-designed and repairs will be made free of charge. Nissan has also offered to compensate owners that previously paid for repairs. If you have questions, phone 1-800-647-7261 - Nissan Consumer Affairs. Oddly, not all years are covered and the recall is quite selective.
  • Options
    jettjettjettjett Member Posts: 1
    air bag light kept blinking. my mechanic checked the computer and it said seat belt tensiner. Took it to dealer and they replaced tensioner. Light came back on a week later. They now say its the passenger seat sensor .Warranty only covers up to 60000 miles(i have 87000).Part is $2000.Not counting labor. any suggestions?
  • Options
    wayneauxwayneaux Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 frontier extra cab 4cl. I have gone thru 4 alternators now from the local firestone. They keep going out all together or intermit. Anybody had this problem or know how to fix it?
  • Options
    flaco43flaco43 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I bought a 2008 Nissan Frontier with crew cab. All was well until about 8 months ago when fuse for brake lights kept blowing. No problem with bulbs. When fuse blows cruise control doesn't work. Now fuse blows the instant you tap the brakes and had to run a temporary auxiliary wire to brakes. Has been at Nissan dealer now for three days and they don't seem to have a clue. Now they suggest that I reconnect the temporary wire to the brakes and give up. Has anyone had this problem?
  • Options
    96stang96stang Member Posts: 1
    I went to the attached link that helped me fix my 1998 Nissan Frontier gauge cluster: http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.phpCat=0&Number=602102&Main=602001

You can find it by doing a Google search on 'NTE152 Nissan'

The link described the replacement of two transistors. When I inspected the transistors on my circuit card, the transistors measured OK, so I didn't replace them. What I discovered is that the solder joints were cracked, so I resoldered them and reassembled the gauges. Low and behold - everything worked. The problem is that they used cheap PC boards that were single sided without plated through holes. Over time the solder joints crack on the power transistors and the gauges eventually stop working. They probably saved 100¥.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2012
    A couple of times when I've left the truck idling (with the key in the ignition) the doors have locked spontaneously.

Fortunately, both times it was parked in my yard and I was able to go get the spare set of keys out of the drawer and unlock it.

It's a bit unnerving, though, thinking that this could happen someplace remote where a spare key isn't handy. :confuse:

http://www.pbase.com/lookoutranch/image/140696910.jpg
    SE V6 6-speed manual transmission, 4WD
  • Options
    bigboy1981bigboy1981 Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 2008 frontier. however on the fuse lid cover there is no listing for either cruise control or stop light fuse. which fuse did you replace. when you turn on the cruise to wont set. the set light just keeps on flashing. if you could tell me which fuse to replace. i would be great-ful. thanks