Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison

thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
edited March 2014 in Toyota
With the Tundra having at least a year under its belt, the latest GM trucks having been out as long, and updates from Ford and Dodge on the way, a Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison seemed appropriate. Let's compare the Tundra, Titan, Sierra, Silverado, F-150, and Ram half-ton models.

Comments

• Options
    Supposedly, the updated V8 in the F-150 will have more power, and we can be sure it'll be connected to a 6-speed Automatic, from the Expedition. There is also news of the 6.2L V8 finally arriving, although power numbers aren't set-in-stone, I have read 380hp/400 lb-ft.

Dodge's updated 4.7L has 310hp/330 lb-ft and is more powerful than the sub 5.0L engines of its competitors. For 2009, according to Consumer Guide, the Ram's 5.7L engine will boast 380hp/404lb-ft.

GM's twins as well as Toyota's Tunder soldier on with their existing powertrains, while Nissan still sticks with the 5.6L 317hp V8 (which many suggest is under-rated).

Let the comparisons begin. Which trucks stand to survive $4 gas? Which will flourish? Which wouldn't you drive and why? Which WOULD you drive or DO you drive?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Ford 6.2 was shelved last month, according to industry trade Automotive News on June 23. Suppliers were instructed by Ford to cease work on the engine/components. While it's not 100% canceled, it's safe to say that fuel concerns have rendered the engine overkill at this time.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    Oh goodness! Didn't know that. Thanks for the update. ConsumerGuide.com had shown otherwise.

I think the F150's 5.4L should jump to at least 320hp to be competitive, if it isn't going to lose weight.
  • Options
    Those of you who work from your trucks, which do you have, which do you prefer?
  • Options
    hotrod1965hotrod1965 Member Posts: 21
    We got a 2008 silverado a month or so ago for our business. So far I think it is the best thing out there as far as fuel economy. I get 15 around town, 18-20 on the highway in V8 mode, and 22-26 in V4 mode with a 3.73 rear. Havn't taken any long trips yet so I can't tell you an over all highway fuel economy. But I would guess 21ish or so.

House power isn't that important to me. I care that it can tow what I need it to tow and carry what I need it to carry.
    The truck rides fine, handles fine, and is comfortable to site in. What more would you want?
This discussion has been closed.