Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Durango Blower Motor Resistor Pack Harness Plug Melting

dadmancpu1dadmancpu1 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2018 in Dodge
I have replaced my resister pack about a year ago. Not only was the pack bad but the wiring harness that plugged into was all meted. I bought a factory replacement and installed it. Now I am having the same isssue. Anyone know what is causing the harness to overheat and break down?

Comments

• fat53tucsonfat53tucson Member Posts: 4
    imhaving the same problem does any body have any answers resistor pack melting on the first prong please help brian.
    i am melting the first prong on my air conditioner fan motor resistor pack help thanks brian.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you'll need to replace the resistor pack. Melting leads means that too much current is flowing because the resistors can't handle the load.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    thanks for the info but i did replace with new resister fron the dealer and it started to get hot right away whats next.thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    My next step would be to check the fan motor itself. If you're lucky, it may just be crudded up and in need of a good cleaning. At worst, you may need to replace it due to damaged wiring, insulation or whatnot.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    thanks a lot my sun in lay found the connection not locking to gether and the looseness my cause arking caussing heat build doesnt seem to be getting as hot ill look to see if fan is dirty or plugged ill try to keep in touch thanks brian.
  • skwrlyskwrly Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 SLT has about 40 k miles on it. While on a trip, AC suddenly went to ambient temperature in front and rear still was cooling. Since I was travelling, I stopped at a Firestone dealer (the only place in the area that said they did AC) and asked them to analyze. They said I need a new top line that was probably blocked and new compressor, but since I was in town only a day or two, they could not order it in time. I'm glad they could not do the fix as I was skeptical and it gave me time to do some research. I've seen other posts on this in this forum and I am still skeptical of the diagnosis, but have not seen a solution in this forum. One post hinted at a switch problem, another at an electrical problem and another a control module problem. I'm afraid of taking it to a dealer, especially given Dodge's current financial state. I don't mind doing some do it yourself, but this sounds like it could be a tricky problem to finally solve. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and I'm looking for a good AC service company. But does anyone have any confirmed diagnosis--blower works fine, rear has cool air, coolant gas pressure is good and full. Any thoughts would help. Thanks.
  • chendrickschendricks Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Durango SLT and my blower motor resistor wiring harness connector just burned up. The Dealer wants $700 to fix it. I went to area junk yards to see if I could find and replace the part myself. I saw many Durangos with the connector and resistor already cut out. The staff all advised that they are a hot item that they can't keep in stock. Their view is that this frequent problem is the result of a design flaw that should have been the subject of a recall. They also suggested I try Ebay. Has Dodge taken a position on this problem? I would appreciate any other advice available.
  • harmon44harmon44 Member Posts: 1
    I went To other websites and read where the blower motor was drawing to much power causing connector to over heat I too bought factory connector have so many wires don't know which wires to use please help
  • wolfman561wolfman561 Member Posts: 1
    Iv been having the same problems with my 2003 durango I have went threw 4 motors 4 resisters and 2 wire harnesses now dodge jist told me that there was a desinge flaw in the wireharness so they sold me a new one for 2008 model and said its been redesinged so how do you rewire it because it did not come with any dieagrams and the wires are not hooked to the plugwhere can i get instructions or help cause dodge was no help they thought it was funny that iv spent hundreds of dollars witch did not seem funny at all please help if you can burning up in florida.
  • jeepfunjeepfun Member Posts: 1
    Please, Please tell me what you did to fix this problem. I feel like I'm burning money buying parts just trying to get the blower to work! Thanks for your help!
  • talikarnitalikarni Member Posts: 2
    When this happens, first replace the resistor. If it happens again, then replace both the resistor AND the blower motor at the same time. Had this happen on my previous 04 Durango and after replacing both, the issue was fixed and ran for years.
  • rshaffrshaff Member Posts: 1

Problem solved for me, I've had the same problem since last winter and after two motors and three resistors I got tired of paying and decided to investigate the issue, I've seen people say too much power is being drawn, so I tested the motor draw and it's perfect. then looked into the plug itself what I found out there is the plug is making minimal contact at best on the first two prongs, so I cut the plastic back off the resistor exposing the prongs and soldered each wire onto its prong and ran it for an hour and the wires are as cold as ice, it used to heat up immediately, problem solved, so if you can solder your good to go if not, learn it's beneficial!!!!!!!

• desteveodesteveo Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    It's the plug itself. The contacts inside can't handle the current from the motor. I cut some of the plastic off of a new resistor and soldered the wires right into a new resistor and haven't had any problems since. It doesn't get hot at all anymore. Cold as ice. If you do it make sure to heat shrink each wire so you don't arc and create a short. 

dadmancpu1 said:
    I have replaced my resister pack about a year ago. Not only was the pack bad but the wiring harness that plugged into was all meted. I bought a factory replacement and installed it. Now I am having the same isssue. Anyone know what is causing the harness to overheat and break down?

• dodgirldodgirl Member Posts: 1
    Second time I've replaced the resistor.Rearched the process on youtube.Take the bolts out first then unlock the harness from the resistor.Much easier than to get under the passenger side dash to access it.Well you will find a way to get your body turned, bit uncomfortable. 
    Now in the 2004 Durango the resistor was changed because of the burn out fault on previous models.So,my second one is in,if it burns out again I will put in the new resistor from a 2004 and up model.What a pain.
  • dodgefan71dodgefan71 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 Dakota. This has been an ongoing issue for me too. Burning wire harness and resistor packs. I talked to the Dodge dealer and was told they are aware but the only solution is to just keep on buying the resistor packs when it stops working.  Last winter it crapped out again and o decided to run a heavier Guage ground and hot wire and put in a 50 amp toggle. You can get all this at Napa auto for about $35.00. So it's full blast or nothing but at least it is problem free heating and air now  :)
  • dodgefan71dodgefan71 Member Posts: 2
    dodgirl said:
    Second time I've replaced the resistor.Rearched the process on youtube.Take the bolts out first then unlock the harness from the resistor.Much easier than to get under the passenger side dash to access it.Well you will find a way to get your body turned, bit uncomfortable. 
    Now in the 2004 Durango the resistor was changed because of the burn out fault on previous models.So,my second one is in,if it burns out again I will put in the new resistor from a 2004 and up model.What a pain.
    Did it continue to burn out? 
  • ehdodgeehdodge Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same issues with my 2001 Durango SLT. Unfortunately, the last time I replaced the heater resistor I cut back the wiring too far. So, does anyone know how to do a full rewire replacement for the heater blower resistor? A link to a diagram, video or written directions would be very appreciated.
  • Ed_WEd_W Member Posts: 1
    I have had all the problems reported here. Replaced blower motor, resistors, and plugs multiple times. Finally, finally figured it out. At least with my 2002 Dodge Dakota (and I suspect other Dodges with same problems), I notice some moisture on blower cage last time I changed that out. Next time I changed out blower, water poured from the motor housing (blower stopped working only 1 month into use). On line I find out that older Dodges are getting leaks in their A/C condensate discharge line or through penetration through engine wall. My hose was cracked.

So over time, water was leaking back into air system, draining down into lowest point (yes, the blower motor casing) and causing blower motor to burn out the resistors and melt the resistor plug (but the blower kept running - poorly). It was insidious, because it starts out slow and you figure there is something wrong with resistor, resistor connector (which melted) or the blower motor's old, or they-don't-make-these-blower-motors-like-they-used to. Replace everything or directly soldered wires to resistor to no avail. It happens again (until water leak was so great I couldn't miss it).

Like I said, there are multiple videos and forums discussing this A/C condensate leak back into the vehicle and how to repair that. I managed it by turning wheel left, jacking up truck and reaching in to pull off drain shield and then putty up cracked drain hose and all around the hose penetration.

My problem solved - finally. This may be your issue. Especially if you didn't have this problem all those wonderful first years with the truck. Good luck.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    @Ed_W Thanks for the info! Should be helpful to future visitors
  • 03HemiDurango4X403HemiDurango4X4 Member Posts: 2
    i'm having the same problem only my A/C has'nt worked in yrs. can water get into the blower motor from rain and weather?
    dennis
    dgill440@hotmail.com
  • 03HemiDurango4X403HemiDurango4X4 Member Posts: 2
    my post was directed mainly to
    Ed_W New York ,but if any one else can help me it would be appreciative. I have a 2003 Durango R/T 5.7L

dennis
    dgill440@hotmail.com
  • KevinToddKevinTodd Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2022

I'm going to try that, My 01 Dakota is always soaked on passenger side.