Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q5

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
We think it's normal to feel some trepidation when driving an SUV outside the United States, even a compact crossover like the 2009 Audi Q5. Utility vehicles don't get any kind of special treatment here in Valencia, Spain, and once you stray from the main motorways, the roads get narrow and drivers in subcompacts get fearless. Yet even as we're squeezing the Q5 between medieval buildings with tiny Renaults underfoot, we're relaxed, because Audi's new SUV is the right size.

Read more and post your comments here!

Transforming the A4 Into an SUV
Tagged:

Comments

• bszetobszeto Member Posts: 24
    You forgot to mention the Acura RDX as a possible competitor!
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The RDX doesn't even touch Audi's level of interior refinement, or powertrain refinement with the V6, not to mention the RDX is fugly.
  • frommx5tomz3frommx5tomz3 Member Posts: 19
    I think this vehicle is at the top of my list for my next vehicle purchase. I wish we could get the 2.0t direct injection gasoline engine. I know that people assume Americans want at least a v6, but the 2.0t is such a sweet engine and would be plenty powerful for me while likely saving a few $ on purchase price and giving a few more MPG. With gas prices where they are, the 2.0t seems to make sense to me if we can't get the diesels. That said, I love the combo of luxury, sport, and practicality this vehicle offers. Bravo Audi.
  • ajwhite72ajwhite72 Member Posts: 8
    The RDX is direct competition for the Q5, not to mention it is the TOP rated compact luxury suv! (Check comparisions by Edmunds and other car mags, the RDX has won them ALL) This is just an over-priced Tiguan, which is an over priced VW. Buy it for the interior, if you don't mind service department waiting rooms...
  • drhorribledrhorrible Member Posts: 1
    Too bad the 2.0t direct injection engine and the S-tronic is not making it's way over here, I would have considered it. Oh well, maybe they will offer the S-tronic on the A4 wagon with the 2.0t DI. One can only hope.
  • vta3vta3 Member Posts: 1
    Whoever said that the Q5 is an overpriced tiguan is an ignorant guy thinking he knows it all. The Q5 is based on the B8 A4 platform not the same platform that tiguan uses. The engine is longitudinally mounted vs. transversely in the tiguan. The RDX won ALL of the comparisons @ edmunds because its not rated on how fugly and poorly built it is. Acura's level of refinement = Honda, and an Acura forever and always will be a Honda.
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    HA! You want to talk about overpriced? Try the RDX, a fugly Honda with a cheap interior and laggy turbocharged engine. They can't even give away RDX's. The Q5 will knock the unrefined RDX out of the park.
  • letsbrealletsbreal Member Posts: 1
    yeah....the Q5 would MC Hammer all over the RDX, sorry....
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Although this vehicle is not on sale yet, I have seen it on the road in my hometown, actually the same stretch of road when I'm on this road. Let me tell you, the pictures don't do this car justice. It has caught my I the three times I've seen it on the road. Nice looking vehicle!!!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Is the Q5 based on the same or similar platform as the VW Tiguan?

VW and Audi have shared platforms for many of their vehicles, with nicer interiors, different handling characteristics, cachet and pricing separating Audi from VW.
  • mumble88mumble88 Member Posts: 9
    So i got a new Q5 and I just want to keep it clean as possible. I decided to purchase a car cover from carscover.com. I got it couple days ago and it looks real okay. But now im worry that what if it damages my paint job? I wish i can just put it on and not care but im still worried and my cover is still in the garage. Should I put it on?
    Are the Q5's on sale yet? The website and other mags said it wouldn't be out until early 2009 :confuse:
  • kennyyukennyyu Member Posts: 16
    how did you get q 5 that is not released in usa? either you'r lying or have an imported euro model.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Sorry, but the Q5 is NOT based on anything VW. It is based off the B8. The TT and the A3 are based somewhat of the Golf platform, but as everyone knows the TT has extensive changes to the platform including use of aluminum. So it is not the same. I thought this type of misinformation had died out in the 90s.
    Well, I'm still seeing a few Q5's on the road near where I live. They're obviously being driven by people from the Audi dealership as the car has no nomenclature identifying it other than the Audi rings. I must say it is one sweet-looking vehicle! Now, if I could just find a way to get whoever is driving one to pull over so I can have a better look!!
  • texas_tonytexas_tony Member Posts: 2
    Quote: "So i got a new Q5 and I just want to keep it clean as possible. I decided to purchase a car cover from xxxx.com. I got it couple days ago and it looks real okay. But now im worry that what if it damages my paint job? I wish i can just put it on and not care but im still worried and my cover is still in the garage. Should I put it on?"

Ignore this guy. It's a ploy to promote the website. Better yet - tell people never to buy anything from anyone using this kind of deceptive advertising tactic. Basically he wants you to get curious how they get Q5 cover so early and check out his website.

BTW: I'd tried out the RDX. It drives well but I can't really distinguish the interior from a Honda. Even the current-gen Nissans (not Infiniti) have nicer interior than RDX.

Another Q5 competitor I haven't seen mentioned yet is the soon-to-release Mercedes GLK site here . I'd also tried X3 and it's too cramped. Also considering 2010 RX350 which should come out soon as well. Things will be interesting in this segment in 2009.
  • drbischodrbischo Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard any price ranges for the Audi Q5? If its based on the B8 A4 platform like stated above, then it has to be more than the Audi A4 Pricing for 2009 which is: $40,750 - $48,800. Right??
  • newdriver6newdriver6 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know its release date and price?
  • ArmonkMusicArmonkMusic Member Posts: 2
    My dealer had a couple of (fully loaded) Q5's for staff training today only; I was able to get a decent (30min) test drive.
    What a gorgeous vehicle!! Looks far better than the pics (which are already great) and drives like a dream.

It's actually pretty roomy inside (loads more than the Tiguan) - plenty of shoulder room and the trunk's pretty good too.

I'm now working through brochure (also picked up today) and waiting for pricing. Apparently pricing was set but then Mercedes released pricing for the GLK which prompted an Audi rethink (downwards, I assume).
  • canary28canary28 Member Posts: 1
    I was at the Washington Auto Show last night. Pricing is going to start at $37,100.
  • ArmonkMusicArmonkMusic Member Posts: 2
    Is that the newly revised pricing, as noted in my ealier post?

Thanks
  • kimdenningkimdenning Member Posts: 1
    The Q5 is now on audiusa.com and the pricing begins at 37.2
  • daleb2daleb2 Member Posts: 8
    I was able to test drive the Q5 today the wife loved it. better then the Mercedes GLK BMW X3 and Lexus RX350. Th bottom line is if you want a hood ornament that looks good in the driveway buy the Mercedes GLK. If you want great electronics get the RX350. If you want something to DRIVE get the Q5 blows away the aging X3
  • edmundstephenedmundstephen Member Posts: 5
    I happened to call the dealership the day they received their first test cars. My impressions:

- great driving dynamic, though not as car-like as the X3
    - smaller cargo area than I had thought
    - looks good
    - wish i could get it without the panoramic sunroof (sunshade is semi-transparent! strange and ill-advised in hot climates)
    - wife approved, favorite CUV she's driven
    - stock radio kind of weak, but bang&olufsen only available on uber expensive Prestige package

Now we need to check out the GLK as our local Audi dealership won't give us any deals on pricing until end of March.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    you can - the panoramic sunroof can be a deleted option on both the premium plus and prestige models. There is no roof on the premium model.
  • hailalmamaterhailalmamater Member Posts: 11
    Had the opportunity to drive the GLK and Q5 back to back yesterday, and wanted to share my impressions. Overall, I'd say its pretty much a coin flip - both are excellent drives and I think your personal prefs (and pricing/availability) will be the final determinants.

Anyway, I thought the 2 vehicles were very similar in terms of power, handling, and to a lesser extent, ride quality. I'd give the Mercedes the edge in ride quality (it had the 20" wheels, which I don't want). I live in Chicago and drove the Mercedes over several "craters". Nothing - not a quiver, shake, rattle. The Audi didn't have that same carved from granite feeling, but is still quite good.

The drivetrain seemed a little bit better sorted on the Mercedes as well - there were times I caught the Audi hesitating under part-throttle acceleration (for example, slowing for a red light, and then pressing the accelerator when the light changed). The Mercedes also seemed a little smoother accelerating from a dead stop. The Mercedes just had a turbine quality to it the Audi couldn't match.

In terms of interior room and comfort, I'd give the slight edge to the Audi. I'm a pretty big guy (6'4" and around 235), and the Mercedes felt a little narrow inside. Part of what drove this sense was the fact my shoulder was in frequent contact with the B-pillar, which never happened in the Audi. The Mercedes, however, did have more front legroom, which is great for tall people. The rear seat space seemed pretty comparable, but neither was spacious enough to accommodate me behind the driver's seat. Cargo space was comparable as well, but the Audi seemed to have a little more floor space, which seems more practical for daily use.

For quality, the Mercedes get the edge for build quality, while the Audi gets the edge for materials. If the Mercedes people read this, and I hope they do, PUT LEATHER SEATS IN THE &^%$ CARS! It is ludicrous to be looking at a $45K vehicle without leather, esp. when all your direct competitors have it. Vinyl seats suck - they sucked in my parents 1973 Ford LTD station wagon, and they suck now. As expected, the Audi's interior had a warmer feel with the leather and wood trim, but the quality of the actual materials (other than the leather and wood) were no different than the Mercedes. The Mercedes did seem better assembled, and, again, gave the impression that it would last longer.

For features, I'd give Audi the advantage for the MMI system, which is well designed and more intuitive than the Mercedes. I liked the Audi information display in the instrument cluster better than the Mercedes version as well. The integration of this display with the steering wheel controls was better executed on the Audi. The nav system worked better also. The Audi did not have the B&O sound system, while the Mercedes had the HK Logic 7 system - I preferred the sound quality of the Mercedes but would need to hear the B&O system before making any judgments.

So, summing up, I'd likely pick the Mercedes over the Audi because of the ride quality, solidity, and assembly quality. I sense the Mercedes will be more durable and will have fewer problems over time. I also liked the enormous front legroom in the Mercedes. The rest of the preference is purely aesthetic - the Mercedes just seems a little more "manly" than the Audi, more like an SUV than a station wagon.

Enjoy!
  • doctormasedoctormase Member Posts: 2
    I have driven a Q5 and I think the drive was great. The car is for my wife, but I think the esthetics were much better than I anticipated. I have not seen the GLK, but from the pictures it looks like a Subaru Forester. Maybe I am wrong, but I think the Q5 looks much better. The MMI system is easy to use and the technology is a significant stepup from what's in the Q7. I was quotes $699 for a 36 month lease with 12K a year, $2000 up front for fees and 1st payment. I have not negotiated and don't know what the MF is, but I was told that residual is 49% without Audi Care and 50% with Audi Care. Has anyone else seen similar numbers? Are there better deals out there. From what I gather they are expecting this car to sell well and aren't too willing to budge.
    Overall it seems like a great car and the cargo space is enough for me and very versatile as well.
    Please inform of any deals out there that people are finding.

Thanks
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    Which model? I've heard these ranges for the Premium Plus (without nav):

36months, 15K miles, $3K down, $645
    36months, 15K miles, $2K down, $549

Not sure why the difference but $699 might be a bit high unless this is the Prestige model. If you can wait you likely get a better deal in a few months.

According to Edmunds TMV is about 1K off MSRP but I doubt you could get this right now. Potentially this comes from returning AFC customers getting a loyalty discount.
  • dprobrickdprobrick Member Posts: 2
    I had a chance to drive the Q5, GLK, and X3 within a 2 day period this week. First , all are quality automobiles and any would make a great choice for a person looking for an upscale compact SUV. All had good acceleration, though the GLK might have had the most pep form the starting line. All seemed to have solid build quality and felt solid. The interior quality on all was very good with nice materials - I preferred the Q5 in this area with the GLK second - nothing wrong wioth the X3- just not as plush feeling. The GLK and Q5 easily beat the X3 for me in ride comfort. I felt they both absorbed the road better. I know some people prefer the road feel of BMWs just like a little more comfort in the ride myself. Exterior styling is really just a matter of preference, but I agree the GLK has the most masculine look of the group, less carlike than the Q5 for sure. Both the GLK and the Q5 beat the X3 for looks - it is just a little dated and ready for a refresh. The one place that the GLK fell short for me was interior space especially shoulder room. I am 6'2 and broad shouldered. I was constantly in contact with the B pillar when driving which really gave me a closed in feeling. The Q5 and X3 felt much more spacious to me. Overall I am leaning toward the Q5 mostly for the feeling of comfort, space and luxury that it gave me as a driver.
  • doctormasedoctormase Member Posts: 2
    Premium Plus with Nav, 12K, 2K down with Audi Care out the door at $672. I am not sure about your prices, is the $549 a mis-type?
    I got $740 off the price of the car and then bought the Audi Care since it increases the residual by 1%, therefore only increasing price about $8 per month.
    I do not have the lease info in front of me, but MSRP was around $45,300 and MF .00042 with residual at 50%. I may be able to save a little in a few months, but I am getting the car tomorrow, first one in the region. I had a chance to see it tonight, very excited.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    Seems bit low indeed. This quote came from fourtitude forum: http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4258642

I think you got a decent deal definitely for a brand new model.

I do think it's a pity how Audi priced the Q5. E.g. if you want base Audi Q5 with rear view camera (important safety feature I think) you have to spend at least extra 7K which amounts to $45K. Good amount of money for a smaller SUV but comparable to Mercedes/BMW (but much higher compared to Lexus/Acura).
  • clamsclams Member Posts: 11
    Received this lease quote today on a Q5 Prem Plus with nav:
    MSRP : $ 45,325
    Lease 36 months with 15 k mi per year
    Sales price - $ 44,025
    Residual: 50 %
    Money factor: .00037
    Zero down
    Inception fees and taxes : $ 3500
    Payment 659/month.

This is the secon quote I recieved. The first one from a different dealer with the same parameters was $ 686/month. I am going to get a another quote in March. I think the numbers will come down after the first of the month.
  • qball1qball1 Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you here. we have been looking for a SUV for sometime now, and I just fell in love with a Q5. I test drove the ML350 (wife's pick) right before test driving the Q5, and I must say ML did a crappy job with their NAVI system. It was a world of difference when I was trying to navigate while I was trying to drive. Also, to my understanding that MLs have great torque at a lower RPM but I couldn't feel much of the acceleration. I guess I have to go with amg or 550 in order to feel the difference.
  • catchsteelheadcatchsteelhead Member Posts: 1
    Reserved a Q5 today. Details below:

-Premium Plus
    -Navigation
    -Black
    -Cardamom Beige
    -$45K

Delivery guaranteed for second week of March...
  • bayridgeguybayridgeguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

Just waned to share my experience with all of you. I put in the order for a Q5 2 weeks ago.

- Prestige package
    - Deep Sea Metallic
    - Black interior
    - Audi side assist

46995$ including destination charge. (Took about 30 calls (~ 2 hrs) to different dealers to get this price)
    This is a factory order for May delivery.

Seems like a good deal?
  • timm2timm2 Member Posts: 1
    Firs to correct a mistake that edmunds made, these vehicles will be built in China, not Ingolstadt as mentioned. Second with a price tag of $45K quoted, you can buy the Q7 instead, which at least have 3 row of seats, bigger engine, not to mention bigger road presence.

In summary, another unneccessary, overpriced SUV.
  • khlkhl Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know when/if the S-line package will be available for the Q5 in the US...can't find any dealer that currently carries a Q5 Prestige with the S-line package.
  • brashmanbrashman Member Posts: 10
    The Q5 is assembled in Changchun, China, for the Chinese market. Models destined for most other markets (definitely the US) are assembled in Ingolstadt.

"Bigger road presence" is by no means a universal benefit nor an objective point.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My wife and I sat in a played around with 2 different q5s today. We did not drive one.
    It's a beautiful vehicle, although neither one of us liked the standard 18" wheels.
    A 5 spoke A5 18" wheel would have looked much better.
    The interior and dash design are really nice. head and shoulders above my '07 SRX.
    I wish GM could design a steering wheel as nice as the q5's.
    The cargo area is a little short but we determined that a push lawnmower would fit and that with the 3 different sections of the back seat being moved independently it would work for most cargo.
    I think it is a beautifully turned out crossover,maybe 1 or 2K too high in price but definitely something we are thinking about.
    BTW I am a long legged 6'8" and could comfortable in the front seat and comfortable in the back seat with front seat up some.
    I'm not sure how the sunroof shade will work in hot climates. I wonder if it should be solid and not just a screen?
    hopefully we will drive it in the next week or so to see how it performs from a handling and ride perspective. I am already guessing it has plenty of power.
  • hoinoyhoinoy Member Posts: 10
    Just came back from test driving a Q5 premium plus. My wife and I love the ext/int styling and the beautiful interior fit/finish. Steering wheel has a very nice leather feel and the thickness is just right. MMI interface is still heads and shoulders above that of the improved i-Drive from the new BMW. Navigation is beautiful and the additional direction-screen in the instrument panel helps. Panoramic sunroof is great, but the sunblock screen might add another part to break.

Acceleration and pickup is decent but I really want Audi to bring over the 2.0T from the European models for comparison. We both love the car, but don't know if we love it to spend >$10k over a RDX or ~$4-5K over a comparably equipped MDX. (Listed at $45k).
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I've looked at the current audi offers and they have a 36mo deal for the base q5 that is $499mo. I believe the premium plus is $569. But the much large base Q7 is just $30mo. more at $599. I'm thinking if we do want to get one we should wait another month or 2 to see how this plays out and look for a better incentive or deal from audi.
    I also don't like how audi and MB have an additional charge to turn the car in. GM has never done that beffore, but alas no more leasing at GM.
    I went to the MB dealer yesterday and the GLK is a more expensive looking vehicle than the Audi.
    The q5 only looks good to me with the optional 5 spokers and then the sline wheels are nice too but a little over the top.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The Portland Auto show suggested the Q5 is a nice vehicle. Interior seemed well laid out and assembled and the seats were comfortable. The GLK seemed ugly and clunky by comparison.
    Seeing how they do with mileage and reliability will be helpful for future decisions.

Unfortunately we currently have __one__ Audi dealer here in Portland, though Audi staff at the show revealed another local dealer may show up in a year or so.

Also, for Oregon I'd avoid the 20 inch bling-tires. Oregon roads have many potholes that will quickly smack them flat.
  • c280c280 Member Posts: 21
    I'm in Charlotte, NC. I test drove the Q5. The car seems bigger, looking at it from outside, especially in the front, compared to those photos (blue Q5 online) that we saw earlier. It also seems wider in the front. I questioned whether it could fit through my garage door. The trunk space is small. I drove it in pouring rain (75-80 mph) and it rides well. For a German car, the turning circle was not impressive. I like it, pretty car but not sure about the price. Audi adds the premium and premium plus which jacks up the price. The Q5 and the A4 is the same car but the A4 gives you more options with the engine and the A4 trunk is bigger than the Q5. I'm hesitant because the Q7(big brother) and the Q5 has the same engine, 3.2l V6 which is not great on gas if you are fuel conscious. Sun roof is excessive. I like the car but not sure about the price when you consider the pros and cons. Maybe if Audi offered the Q5 TDI in the US at a reasonable price I would seriously consider it because the TDI is more fuel efficient. Plus BMW is asking a rediculous price for their diesel X5.
  • marko12marko12 Member Posts: 4
    Price-$40500 with Prem Plus, 10K miles/36 months/no money down with 51% residual. Payments $710 a month. Money Factor 0.00068. What else goes into the monthly payments to make it $710? I understand the interest, cost of the car, but it still doesn't seem to add up to $710. This is my first time leasing a car?
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Hey marko12, you need a little more information here. First, what is the actual MSRP of the vehicle? You need that to calculate the residual value that is used in the lease formula. I'm assuming that the $40,500 is your negotiated selling price for the Q5, is that correct? I took a rough guess of the MSRP, assuming it is a Q5 with Premium Package and nothing else - MSRP = $42,325. Plugging this in with your residual and money factor results in a net capital cost of about $45,510, suggesting there are $5000 in fees, taxes, etc. rolled into your lease cost. I don't know the tax rate where you live, but the numbers seem to be about $1800 or $50 per month too high.
  • marko12marko12 Member Posts: 4
    tax is 6.25% MSRP is right 53 residual. money factor 0.00068. Selling price $42,500. They say the monthly is $708 a month
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Sorry, but you have me a bit confused here. What is the MSRP and the agreed upon selling price? Your selling price just went up by $2000, so I'm guessing the MSRP is above that. Thanks.
  • apdioapdio Member Posts: 4
    Try this link

Lease Calculator

Dealers' lease calculations are usually off by a few dollars than the result you will get from lease calculators, but at worst, the difference will be $5-10 a month and certainly not the enormous difference your dealer is telling you now. Sounds like a couple of thousand dollars in fees tacked on to the agreed-upon selling price.