Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Steve,

No offense but I like to read about issues concerning 2002 and prior 4Runner issues, too. This 2003 stuff will die down in two months. Please just keep it on one board.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Hey, Beagles3 is with me! I don't even wear panties, so there's no chance of them getting in a wad, but that dry ice might be nice here in the 107º Phoenix sun! Can you send that ASAP? ;o)

I thought I was just doing what everyone else does here by voicing (or maybe venting is a better word) my concerns as a way to discuss this next potentially great Toyota, while going nuts in anticipation. I don't know what the '03 will look like, but I do know what the current 4Runner looks like with and without Chrome accents, and I much prefer the monochromatic Sport Edition over anything else. I hope it looks good, but I know what I like, and a COMPLETELY black truck (minus wheels, of course) is what I like.

I've been anxiously awaiting this new truck to be the greatly improved replacement for my truck, so when I hear about these things I get upset that Toyota may be ruining my hopes for that "perfect" SUV. Is it too much to state that I want a clean design, and hope Toyota hasn't blown it, and ask further questions to quench my thirst for knowledge? If so, then I apologize. I have an obsessive-compulsive personality, so it's just my nature to obsess...

I'm going out to jump in my pool now, to cool off for a while...anybody have a snow-making machine? ;o)
    No one has answered my question about that yet...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    that dry ice might be nice here in the 107º Phoenix sun!

This has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime which I suppose is appropriate for dry ice!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories

If you have to explain it - it ain't funny department: A substance, like CO2 is said to "sublime" when it goes directly from the solid state (dry ice) to the gaseous state. Sorry - I just couldn't resist!
    Check out the article here on Edmunds in the future vehicles section about the GX 470, or go to http://www.suv.com and check out the more complete article on it there. This new Lexus shares the same platform with the re-designed 4Runner and will have nearly identical dimensions.

Hope that helps.

-TB
    LOL!

=^) )
  • walkercmwalkercm Member Posts: 11
    When I close my sunroof on my 02 4Runner, I hold the button down while it is closing, but when the roof is about 1/2 way closed, it just stops. If I let go of the button then press it again it will close all the way, but this is really annoying. Stops at the same spot, every time. Is this a defect or some "feature" I don't know about?
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    This is standard for the Toyota sunroofs. I think it's a safety feature to prevent someone from closing on themselves or someone else. My '99 Sienna is exactly the same way.
    RE(relative) A(absorber) S(system)

If you can read Japanese:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/customize/crownathlete/vx/power/power.html (bottom of page)

Everything I could find was in Japanese, and I can't find anyone right now to translate. But at least there are some pictures. Looks like a dampening shock absorber or strut. Looks like it's made by Yamaha.

• walkercmwalkercm Member Posts: 11
    Thanks - at least I know it's not broken. This is still annoying though - I've never seen this before. It's not an "auto-close" like it is on open, so if there was a problem during the close you could just take your finger off the button. Oh well.
    Tried an on-line translation tool and came up with this. It appears to be some sort of 4 wheel dampening device, each working in conjunction with the other and the braking system too.

------Translation from Babel Fish -------------
    Generalizing controlling the movement of suspension of 4 wheels, the mutual cooperation shock absorber which raises travelling efficiency - system " X-REAS ". This worldwide beginning & technology of adoption, do the distribution of the ground load which falls on each wheel and the optimal control of dynamic attitude of the body. The shock absorber - you connect with respect to opposite angle. At that time the unit which adds optimum attenuation power in compliance with condition was installed. The cornering which also grip of braking and the inside which because of this, are stabilized low utilizes in the maximum became possible. As for " X-REAS ", it could not taste so far, the three-dimensional running is offered. *2001 year August presently the respective company investigation
    ---------------------------------------
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Looks a lot bigger. Thanks for the pics.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Congratulations "coolguyky7" won our informal contest by getting a picture of a new 4Runner. Wow, it is cool. It looks a little like a Rav4 in front and a Sequoia on the side and well like a Honda Pilot or a wide 4Runner from the rear. I love the picture with the "4Runner" on the back, showing that there is no doubt this is a 4Runner. I have a digital camera in my car just in case I saw one but I am glad to say "YOU WON".
    OH YEAH!!! Thanks, Coolguyky7! That was just what the doctor ordered to cool me down...

I'm not sure what model 4Runner this is, but I LOVE the re-design! I can't wait to see more of it, and I especially can't wait to drive one in a little over a month! It looks so much cooler than the Sequoia, which is a big relief. The aggressive front end and nicely sculpted rear, with liftgate and power window no less, make this a really great-looking replacement!

Okay, so if the new accents on the new Sport Edition are actually silver and not chrome, that may be acceptable, because I like the silver bumper accents on this one. I might still prefer an all-black truck, but now I can rest a little easier until I see more.

This really made my day. Thanks again! -TB

=o)
    First thing I did was save the pictures to my hard drive, just in case the Toyota police stop the pictures. IT IS OUT NOW.
    Here is another forum of 4Runner guys who have seen the pictures of the new 4Runner. I would say their opinion of it, is (well) somewhat negative.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=012362;p=

This site has the actual pictures posted on their site.

Give credit to jf01. He posted the link to that message board on the 4Runner 2003 thread. Although I will accept a little of it :-D
    I thought it was going to be much more radical...like the GX470.
  • g_huskyg_husky Member Posts: 32
    I just saw the pictures of what very likely could be next vehicle. If an obnoxious Toyota dealer sales rep and inflated pricing do not get in my way, that is. I like it. While many will shop both 4runner and Pilot, they still are quite different in terms of their target. If you want or need the v8, prefer the utility of a truck-based vehicle, do anything more than light towing that requires power to the rear wheels, and prefer/need a premium 4wd/AWD set-up, the 4runner will move to the top of your list. Better styling (IMHO) and more aggressive looks are icing on the cake, and many will buy 4runner over Pilot for the image aspect. I view the Pilot 3rd row seat as a gimmick since its oriented to only small children and has practically no room behind it when open, so even though its there its usefulness is in question. Yes Honda will sell boatloads of Pilots to those wanting a presumably very reliable minivan substitute that rides and handles like a car. Frankly Pilot is not the type of vehicle that inspires my lust. I for one am happy Toyota is covering the bases and giving me a vehicle that meets our needs, a market Honda decided it did not want Pilot to address.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Yes, we have a winner or two. My take...the front is fantastic, the rear is ok. The aluminum inserts on the bumpers and the rear wind deflector are going to take some getting used to. Maybe this is the SR5 version since there is no Limited badging. Love the Pacific blue. Congrats Coolguy.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A lot! It appears to have a beefy roof rack too. Only wish the new 4.0(?) V6 also came with the 5-speed automatic, like the V8 does.

Bob
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Sure glad it doesn't look like the GX470. That thing has too many strange sharp angles going on in its styling.

The front is nice but the rear is a little odd. Could be cleaner. Reminds me of the trailblazer.

Wonder what that light gray thing is on the front, part of the bumper or skid plate.

Hope we get some interior shots soon.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    that it doesn't look anything like the original spy shots we saw. The covered up car in the spy shot pictures looks longer and more boxy.
    That previous link just put up more shots.

There is a green SR5 that has really bad gray plastic that runs around the entire truck. Similar to the Nissan Frontier and Sequoia. I hope that isn't final. It's pretty bad. It's very angular in styling. Oh no.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    If so, they sure have cheapened it up with that plastic all the way around. I hate all the plastic that the American makes are sporting these days. Overpainted plastic is OK because at least it still looks like metal but the matte finish plastic looks so cheap. Why do they think we like that stuff?
    It looks unfinished.
    Now that we have the side view of the blue 4Runner it matches that of the green plastic ???, so I would have to say it is the 4Runner. I agree with your view of plastic on the green 4Runner. Kind of like a Chevy Avalanche.
    That green one is a 4Runner.
    I'll have to say that this version is definitely different than the one I saw in February. They must have decided that the external change wasn't dramatic enough and went back to the drawing board. Front and rear are very different. The front looks more like a RAV4 and the tail lights are wider than the video. Sides are about the same. Just goes to show you that you can't count on early release pictures.

I don't know that I like it at all. I'll have to see it in person before I make up my mind.

I'll show the pics to the other guys that saw the video and see what their opinion is.

Someone should have gotten closer to take a picture of the interior. I'd like to see if they've done anything to that.
    The Person who took the pictures, (Paul S at the Outdoor Wire forum), said he looked inside. He said and I quote "I just want to say I looked in the windows of the green one and the guages are like the ones on the Highlander. It is more plush than our third generation. It does have an advanced 4 wheel drive system from what I heard.".

Here is the link

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=012362;p=3

• redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    Not a bad looking machine, however what's with that huge angled rear pillar? Looks out of place and creates an ugly rear side window. Maybe in a dark color the angled pillar will no be as noticeable The two tone green/gray looks cheap. A heavily discounted 2002 with a TRD supercharger installed is looking very appealing around now.

My two cents.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Since 1992, that is a specially designed pillar, symbolizing speed, aggression, and sportiness. It's one of the things that make 4Runner look so special, in case you hadn't noticed it's uniquely sporty appearance before compared to an Explorer, for example.

Love the new look! Not convinced the lower body is "plastic", at least not like the GM plastic. It is probably the hard, football-helmet plastic that the current 4Runner uses on it's Limited fender flares. Wish the wheel arches were round, not GM square. Still looks good.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Is it more than Sequioa? Same as Tundra with V8?
    will make a big difference in terms of looks. The monochromatic Limited models are the most conservative, and will probably have the widest appeal. The SR5's looks will depend heavily on what other color faces the gray cladding. It could look great or terrible, depending on how the colors interact with one another.

Bob
  • tsc1991tsc1991 Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon everyone. Looking for a top tier navigation system for my "Runner"- any suggestions?
    Coolguyky7, I don't think there's any disputing the green one is a 4Runner. I'm questioning which model is which. If you zoom in really close on the green one in PhotoShop, it appears to have a Limited nameplate by the front fender, and the blue one has an SR5 after the 4Runner nameplate by the front fender. I thing the guys who posted these pics didn't quite get the story straight.

I think the new rig looks awesome, and I can't wait to test drive one in September. There are a few things I like better about the 3rd gen that I will miss, like the beefy fender flares, but I think this is the best new Toyota design yet. It has all of the right elements from the Sequoia, RAV4, and Highlander, without loosing the 4Runner identity entirely.

I'm not sure what your beef with the rear "c" pillar is, redwhiteandblue, because, as Wotheman points out, that's been an attractive trait of the 4Runner for some time, including the one you're talking about running out and getting. It doesn't look that much bigger to me, especially since the entire truck has grown out a few inches in all directions.

And I agree with Wotheman about the cladding. Don't forget that these are low res. digital photos that lack the crisp detail necessary to distinguish detail and color. My feeling is that the lower cladding will be just like the current cladding available with the 2-tone treatment. When you zoom in closely on these pics, you see a lot more detail.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    When I was looking at the side, it seemed to me that it said "Limited 4WD" on the side versus "4Runner SR5." I waw wondering where the trim designation was, considering it's not on the back. Wouldn't it be a little redundant to put "4Runner" on the sides and the back? In regards to the cladding, in the picture w/ the green one, it looks like that cladding is shiny (looks somewhat reflective), meaning it is probably similar to what is on 4Runners now?
    I looked again at it even closer, and you are right! Sorry about that. The "Limited" is really hard to make out, but that definitely says "4WD." I'm not sure what the green one says, I just hope it isn't a "Sport Edition" badge. Maybe it's just an SR5, or maybe it's a Limited 2WD. According to the guys who posted it, it's an SR5, so I guess I'll keep my pie hole shut until we learn or see more.

I see you agree with my take on the cladding too. I don't know why anyone would think Toyota would go to the look of the Avalanche or Aztek, when none of their other vehicles do. Of course it's not going to be any different from the 2-tone on the current model.
    I believe the max. towing weight for the GX 470 will be 6500 lbs, so I imagine the 4Runner will be the same with the V8. The V6 will probably be in the 5200 to 5800 lbs range.

Oh, and sorry about spelling your user name wrong before...
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    I am looking for a TORQUE/HP CURVE for the current 4Runner's 3.4L engine. Any scans/links/etc. are much appreciated. I was told that the old '99 4Runner brochure had one. Thanks.
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    Don't get me wrong the more I look at the truck the more I like it. It just appears (to me anyway)that the c-pillar is very wide. I don't mind the angle just what appears to be a large flat piece of sheet metal not in proportion with the rest of the 4runner.
    what the displacement for the '03 V6 is? I'm under the impression that it's been bumped up to around 4.0L. Is that correct? If so, I'm wondering if it's an all-new engine? I'm not sure if the current 3.4L can be enlarged that much?

Also, will the V6 be available with a 5-speed manual?

Finally, my understanding is that the V8 will have the same 4WD found on the GX 470, which is the same as that found in the Land Cruiser—meaning permanent full-time 4WD, with no 2WD mode. However, the V6 will have a 2WD mode and full-time 4WD mode, like that found on the Sequoia. Am I correct here?

Bob
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I've heard both 3.8 and 4.0 for the V6 displacement. In any event, there will be no manual transmission. I think you have the 4WD situation correct.
    The V6 is a new 4.0 litre engine, rated at 245hp and 283 lbs/ft of torque. Only a 4-speed auto is available. The V8 will have a 5-speed auto.

I also believe you are correct about the 4x4 system.

-TB
    I see what you're saying, and after comparing pictures of the current 4Runner to the '03 pics, I agree that it looks bigger than it needed to be. It reminds me of the pillar on the 2-door Chevy Blazer ZR-2, which I think looks really cool, but does block rearward vision. The new Trailblazer and Envoy have a "c" pillar half the size of the new 'Runner, but vision out the back side window isn't much better than the ZR-2. Visually it doesn't bother me too much, but I'm wondering about function.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    The Lexus GX470 is said to be 74" in width so I'm guessing the 4runner will be the same since they are off of the same platform. The Sequoia is 76" in width so it safe to say the this suv will increase in size to keep up with competition and the growing stomach's of the American family.
  • ipkissipkiss Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

I am considering a 02 4x4 SR5, for budget reason. Will buy in Sep if I still have my job by then. Can anybody who recently bought one (or have an idea) to share their purchase price? (against invoice - just below or above, before the incentive, before tax/title, etc.)

i am in chicago.

Thanks a lot!
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    ipkiss,

I went round and round with the Chicago dealers (western burbs) for my 02. Drive up to Carmax in Kenosha. Check out carmax.com

They don't deal, but their prices are very close to invoice. They do seem to charge MSRP for extras (roof rack, running boards etc.) Got my SR5 4WD w/SR for 28K (before taxes-no rebate) through them. The local places wouldn't budge under 30K, but they may start dealing once the 03's hit the floor. You may have a hard time finding what you want as Sept nears though. Your best bet is to be ready and buy when the one you want shows up on their site.

good luck..