Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima CVT

madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
edited April 2014 in Nissan
I'm sure this has been discussed before. At lower speeds like 20-40mph, the CVT feels like its "jerking", which I would assume is just the CVT moving through its preprogrammed shift points. However, when you're just feathering the throttle, the jerking becomes extremely pronounced, like it's moving through about 15-20 different gears. It becomes even more pronounced when you're going up a hill at the same time. It's a minor inconvenience, and is cured by either letting off the throttle or dipping into it a little more.

For people with 10-15k miles, have you noticed this problem go away over time? Or does it get worse? I just want to know if I need to get it serviced or something like that.

For reference, my car has about 6300 miles on it.

Comments

• karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    I think I know what you are talking about. I put cruise on once at 35mph, and it was running at such a low rpm I thought it may stall...only done that once though. Just driving at 20 - 40mph doesn't give that "jerking" feeling. I also experience it right when I take off from backing out my driveway and when I put it in drive as I accelerate it feels like I am in 1st gear of a manual car for maybe the first 5-10mph. I don't mind it though, I kind of like it for some reason. Reminds me of my old 6spd Tiburon.
  • cwise1591cwise1591 Member Posts: 3
    I have the Rogue which has the same CVT and i now exactly what you are talking about. My Rogue just hit 11k on it and when i am just tapping the gas from a stand still i hear a weird noise coming from the transmission cuz its trying to swap ratios but at that speed there no preprogrammed ratio so i think it gets confused. but when i go up and down step grades its fine it jerks a little with the cruise on but regularly i have not felt anything. The thing that CVT's are good for is cruising on the interstate and 75-80 and accerating but when you drive them in the city which is why they where put in they get very sluggish and the software adapts to quickly in my opinion. Let me know if this helps what you are experiencing
  • barkinsbarkins Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a Nissian Altima 2.5S, it's my first Nissan, so bear with me.

Basically, whenever I accelerate, there's a faint, yet noticeable sound of a ... harsh whistle, or like metal going up against metal... kind of hard to explain.

Is this normal for CVS? Anyone familiar with this sound, because otherwise the car rides perfect, very smooth and fast, so it leads me to believe it must be a normal sound.
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    I'm not sure what you are talking about, but people have had issues with a whistling sound coming from the sideview mirrors. It's from where the two pieces of the mirror come together, wind flys by it making a whistling noise. People have fixed it just by a little of black silicone on it. I'm not sure though on which exact part of the mirror it comes from. I had it, but just switched my mirrors to the 3.5 mirrors with the blinkers and no more sound.
This discussion has been closed.