Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Replacing Outlander NAV with Aftermarket One

prsolnycprsolnyc Member Posts: 11
edited April 2014 in Mitsubishi
Hello, I have an '07 Outlander XLS 4WD V6 with the 30GB HDD Nav / Rockford Fosgate audio system.

Recently I had a slight accident and although the car was not damaged on the outside and no one was hurt, a hard object flew into the screen of the Nav system and shattered it.

I contacted my local dealer service center and asked if it was possible to only get the screen replaced and he said no and that I would need to purchase a whole new Nav system. He estimated the total price of that including installation would be about $2900.

So, I thought about it and figured, if I really need to buy a whole new Nav system why not find one other that the same one that came with the car and go for an aftermarket Nav. So I did a little research and found that there are some really NICE double-din sized Nav systems out there that are packed with way more features than the one I got the car with.

So here is my question... Has anyone out there had any experience with replacing their factory installed 30GB HDD Nav headunit with an alternate aftermarket Nav headunit?

To be specific, the actual unit I want to install in replace of the shattered one I have now is the JVC KW-NX7000. It's an awsome unit with a heapload of features that I always wished the factory installed Navi could do. Such as onscreen iPod integration which allows you to view album artwork and playback/control audio & video from your iPod on the headunit, MP3 playback from an SD card or MP3 formatted CD/DVD, Live Traffic Updades on a 3D Nav Map, etc. etc. The best part about it is that it's only about $1100! Now that's a bargin compared to what Mitsubishi is charging for the 30GB HDD Navi. (by the way I don't even use the 30GB HDD. It's way too annoying in my oppinion.)

So basically, the bottom line is if I must pay for a whole new unit, I'd rather the JVC KW-NX7000. But I really need to know if it can be installed in replace of the Mitsu 30GB HDD Nav. Any one know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Comments

• comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I think I would call another dealer (call a few) to price compare and also call Mitsubishi
    and complain. Almost $3K to replace the unit vs being able to repair /exchange it is absurd. I know I didn't want to drop the initial $ for the Nav system and just have a regular Rockford/Fosgate system, but Mitsu should be making good on a better repair strategy than this or nobody should take the risk in buying this option. Accidents will happen on something like this and I can't believe they can't repair/exchange it (you get a refurbed unit that has previously been repaired) To me this is almost as absurd as replacing the whole engine because a spark plug got stripped threads when replacing it!!!.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Why is the repair/replacement not covered by insurance?
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • prsolnycprsolnyc Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try what you recommend. In the mean time I would really like to know if I could replace the headunit with the aftermarket one, just in case that ends up being what I want to do.
    Oh I did call Allstate and they said that it's only covered when you have the optional Sound System Coverage, I honestly didn't even know existed. I thought maybe since Mitsubishi signed me up for full coverage with Allstate that this would have been added, but it wasn't. :(
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    Oh I did call Allstate and they said that it's only covered when you have the optional Sound System Coverage, I honestly didn't even know existed. I thought maybe since Mitsubishi signed me up for full coverage with Allstate that this would have been added, but it wasn't

Don't you mean your dealer signed you up? (Not Mitsubishi) I would still call the Mitsubishi zone/area management and complain about being told the the repair level is the whole unit. They should confirm the dealer is giving it to you straight and then do better as a good faith gesture or I'd tell them you're not likely to be a repeat customer with service replacement policies being the whole unit.
  • larryl59larryl59 Member Posts: 2
    try Rey Reece.com I the oem nav unit for $1700.
  • larryl59larryl59 Member Posts: 2
    Is their an adapter so you will be able to keep the steering wheel controls for the radio after changing to an after market nav.I looked for one but was told that they don't make one for the outlander,
  • outlandersdoutlandersd Member Posts: 5
    Without getting into the ugly details, I ended up with a Kenwood navigation system in my Outlander due to a dealer mistake at the time of sale. At first, I wasn't happy to be "stuck" with an aftermarket product but in reality, I've had much better performance/options available compared to the OEM unit.

Any double din navigation system will fit perfectly. In fact, you can recycle some of the parts from the OEM unit during the installation (which was done on my Outlander). The installer can use an interface adapter to make your steering wheel controls work 100%. The only thing I lost was the use of the Bluetooth controls.

Oh, by the way, make sure you install either an iPod adapter at the time of the installation or ask for an auxiliary cable to be added. I have satellite radio available but I found the monthly fee silly when I listen to my own music player way more.
    This is what I found through Rey Reece.com.

Item Number UOM Qty MSRP Price
    MZ360141EX Each $2,430.00 $2,065.50
    2007 OUTLANDER NAVIGATION UNIT

Item Number UOM Qty MSRP Price
    MZ360160EX Each $410.00 $348.50
    2007 OUTLANDER NAVIGATION INSTALL KIT
    OK well I have made up my mind and decided that I'm going to purchase the JVC KW-NX7000 and some of it's optional features. I will most likely buy it online somewhere.

Now all I need to do is find me an installer that is capable of handling this install.

I live in Bronx NY but would be willing to travel up to an hour to find a good installer.

Do any of you have any suggestions or recommendations? I would greatly appreciate this as I am trying to get this done as soon as this weekend if possible.

Thanks in advance. :)
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    The JVC unit comes with only 80 watt amplifier (20 watt x 4). The original Outlander RF amplifier is 650 watt. So you'd have a significant loss of sound quality going with JVC. Subwoofer alone needs at least 100 watt. JVC also supports only 4 channel output, while Outlander comes with 7 speakers meaning 3 speakers will be dead unless you purchase an additional amplifier.

btw at Amazon you can get the JVC for $810.
    The Crutchfield web site has car GPS compatibility wizard:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WW8dUJzT4pv/app/car/mycar.aspx

It suggests that only these four units compatible:
    Dual XDVDN8190, JVC KD-NX5000, Pioneer AVIC-N4, Kenwood KVT-512 in-dash DVD player + KNA-G510 nav.
    Wow.. thanks for the heads up chelentano! Do you know if there is any way I can maybe add any kind of component in the mix between the JVC head unit and my RF audio system in order to make it compatible with my speakers/amp? Excuse my question if it makes no sense. I'm really new to all of this. :confuse:
    My guess is that RF is all-in-one unit: GPS/DVD/Sirius/HD/amplifier. But you probably can get one of these aftermarket units and add additional amplifier.

Looking at Outlander audio system specs again I found that it actually comes with 9 speakers total.

You might want to browse through this Lancer Audio & Security site, to get better idea of what possible. Guys there seem to know a lot about this stuff:
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/forumdisplay.php?f=51
  • sandsmithsandsmith Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am not sure if you still have your damaged nav unit.

I would like to buy it from you if it is still available.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

San
    Make me an offer.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Why don't you guys take it to email. You can mark your email public in your Profiles or set up your CarSpace email accounts.

Thanks.
    How do I set up the CarSpace email account?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have to set up your CarSpace page (via the My CarSpace Tab or your Profile). Then there's a link for emailing. The FAQ may help (or shoot me an email if you get stuck).
  • shyneposhynepo Member Posts: 2
    I NEED HELP BAD I HAVE CHANGED MY PUMP 3 TIMES IN MY TRUCK AND IT JUST WENT OUT SO I GOT A NEW ONE DROVE IT 4 2HOURS AND IT CUT OFF??Don't KNOW WHY BUT THE PUMP STILL COMES ON AND WHEN I WENT TO THE FUEL LINE RAIL TO PRESS IT TO C IF GAS COME OUT AND NOTHING CAN SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASEEEEE??????
    Cool Thanks. I just set up my CarSpace page. :)
    Email me at prsolnyc@carspace.com. Thanks.
    sandsmith,

Are you still interested?
This discussion has been closed.