Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-7 Noise and Vibration

2»

Comments

• Options
    maavalousmaavalous Member Posts: 17
    Whoa there a minute. I don't have access to all the mfr. specs but I can assure you that the Toyota AWD is NOT the same as the Mazda (Toyata includes Lexus for my purposes).
    I did find info, and a video, of a Mazda engineer explaining their "internally designed and highly advanced active torque split system". Don't confuse the similarities between all F/awd systems with being the "same" system. All F/awd use a PTO, tailshaft and some form of rear differential control system. There is no way Toyota could be using the same system without buying it from Mazda and that isn't very likely.

As for having cooling to the PTO... hmmm, I'm a bit surprised Toyota doesn't do it. But, perhaps it's because Mazda couldn't get theirs to keep from overheating? A lot of other F/awd designs do not have cooling as well (BorgWarner for one). All I know on that topic... but, seems like cooled would be better than uncool :)
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com and I cannot find any differences between the new Toyota F/awd system vs the one in the Ford Escape. Insofar as I know Ford being the first to introduce this system.

"...buying form Mazda..."

This new F/awd system may well have been developed by one of the transmission company's, independent of a single marque. I note the Porsche has now adopted the very same technique except for it being used for R/awd.

"..Mazda couldn't keep theirs from overheating..."

No, historically it was Ford that couldn't keep the PTO/ATC from overheating. Ford reacted by revising the firmware such that the driveline windup stress was significantly reduced. Apparently Mazda wanted to keep the full F/awd functionality and therefore added the cooling.

It will be interesting to see how functional the Venza F/awd system is vs the RX350. I strongly suspect Lexus will soon either eliminate the PB for manually engaging the rear drive or add PTO cooling. Easier to revise the firmware once they discover that most driver's, even Lexus driver's, haven't a clue as to when to use, of not, the manual mode.
  • Options
    soldknow1soldknow1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello and I hope someone reply's to this because I am fed up! :mad: I have a 2007 CX-7 and I got new wheels and Toyo Proxes tires about a year and a half ago. A few months afterwards, the wheels felt like they were not balanced so I have had them balanced again. Well, 7 wheel balancing's later and allignment, nothing is working.

This week, I purchased new hub centric rings, verified all 4 wheels were balanced (Road Forced balanced by Gateway Tire) yet, around 60mph, it shakes like I am going over bumps that shakes the entire car. Then around 70mph, my steering wheel starts to shake like the freaking wheels are out of balance!

I have spent money and time and I am out of options. I took it to the dealership and like you and I already know, they can't do crap because of the custom wheels on it. I know for a fact that I am not the only person who has custom wheels on their CX-7. I don't have another set of wheels to put on to see if it does the same with other wheels.

I think it is something other than the wheels because of the really bad shaking and I have noticed when I hit a bump, the wheels sort of feel loose in a odd sort of way...Anyone witness any of this and did you find a resolution??? :confuse:

Shannon
  • Options
    vinazdax7vinazdax7 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I purchased a 2010 Cx 7 (non Turbo), I replaced factory 17" wheels/tires, with OEM 18" spec tires, and wheels. I have had numerous balancing,tire rotations, still has vibration. I have 5K miles on the vechile. Dealership check alignment, stated that all is within spec, car continues to vibrate (60, and 80mph), I don't know what to do, can anyone please assit?

Thank You.
  • Options
    mazda_pro1mazda_pro1 Member Posts: 4
    Sound from Variable Valve Timming this VVT works base on oil pressure, very common on Cx7 ;)
  • Options
    zewie1zewie1 Member Posts: 5
  • Options
    pr2008cx7pr2008cx7 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same or typically that same problem. Mazda had to replace the drive shaft that goes from the transmission to the rear drive.
    Before they did that they did same repairs they did to yours.
  • Options
    taz6taz6 Member Posts: 19
    Been getting an increasing vibration noise from the transmission area of my 2007 CX-7 GT AWD with 69K. Increases under load, but diminishes when turning right. Not affected by braking or placing vehicle in neutral. Mechanic took a quick ride and then put it on the lift and showed me the laterial movement (side to side) in the left rear wheel. Looked like the lug nuts were loose, but he said the left rear wheel bearing is no good and it a requires a full hub assembly replacement. Then he adds the right rear is worn also, not as bad, and suggests both be replaced for safety. been checking around and this seems to be a common Mazda problem. Anyone else?
  • Options
    scastellariscastellari Member Posts: 1
    changed wheel bearings at 75,000 :mad:
  • Options
    rickd58rickd58 Member Posts: 1
    I also have CX7 2007 and getting same underside noise loud whistle an now grinding sounds. Hope not expensive!!!! Just put new tires and that is when all started. Can it be the mechanics not properly trained???