Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Rear Entertainment System

silvervtrsilvervtr Member Posts: 3
i have an cx 9 imported to holland and now i can not use the dvd system because this has a usa coutry code
this can be changed but i cant find the code
can someone help me?

Comments

• howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    Region codes on DVD ROMS are programmed into the firmware on the DVD ROM reader. Not sure this can be done from the diagnostic control panel up front.

Your other option is to create region-free DVDs of the movies that your passengers want to watch. You are already half-way there with your PC. Buy a double layer DVD burner if you don't have one already. Easiest method is to RIP them to disk with software like ANYDVD from Slysoft. Then burn them to Double layer discs using several progams on the market to create region free versions.

If you don't mind video compression a bit to save cost, use DVD RW discs and you can keep using the same disc over and over.
  • silvervtrsilvervtr Member Posts: 3
    in the menu of de dvd player there is a menu to change de region code but i need a 4 digit code to do this
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Send an e-mail to MazdaUSA.com. They might be able to help with your special case.
    I have sent them a couple of emails in the past. They had been very friendly and informative. It takes a couple of days for them to get back to you by e-mails.
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/emailMazda.action
  • silvervtrsilvervtr Member Posts: 3
    i will try that aswell thank you
  • antloantlo Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone suggest an economical replacement for the Bose entertainment system DVD player remote control and wireless headsets. I went to the dealer and they want $183 for the remote and $205 each for the headsets. I can see why the headsets might cost that much, but $183 for a remote? I purchased a GE universal remote, but it didn't work.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I don't know of any other remote for that system (I tried a couple myself) but I can tell you that the headsets from the dockable DVD player will work on the fixed mount Panasonic system. Just ask your dealer for part number 0000-8F-N16 (~$43)
    Please try
    waynemazda.com
    or
    mazdaparts.org
    for best OE prices.
    Your local Mazda dealer can't wait to charge you an arm and a leg.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    What if his local dealer is Med Center Mazda? ;)
    Good point, but what is the chance? 1/425?
  • matt999matt999 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Silvervtr, I have the same issue: I have relocated from Europe (Holland) to the US and have bought a CX9, and now want to play our collection of European DVD's. Have you already been able to set you DVD system to region free? If so, can you share how? Thanks
  • jaco3jaco3 Member Posts: 1
    Did you also have navigation? Were you able to find a compatible navigation system for the CX9 in Europe? Does anyone if there is such an option?
    Thanks,
  • merritt001merritt001 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had any luck with purchasing a remote control for the Bose DVD player in a Mazda CX9? The dealership is soooooooooooooo expensive. I am just trying to see if there is another option.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • merritt001merritt001 Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had any luck with purchasing a remote control for the Bose DVD player in a Mazda CX9? The dealership is soooooooooooooo expensive. I am just trying to see if there is another option.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Watch the eBay.
    Occasionally one will pop up.
  • nord911nord911 Member Posts: 1
    The flip down LCD screen for the DVD player stopped working, but the audio part of the system works fine. I opened the system up and found a 4 inch eletric ribbon that powers up the LCD screen form the main component had a tear in it. My local Mazda dealer said they only do an exchange with the DVD system for $450, they don't have parts for them. I would say this is mybe a $5 part. On the back of the unit is a lable with a Mazda part number, but also states that it is manufactured by Mitsubishi Electric Co. I have got no where with Mitisubishi, you can't even talk to a human and nobody returns your emails. Has anybody had a similar problem.
  • ravicheraviche Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you find the remote control??? I also will need one, I look all around my car but it's missing. Please if anybody knows any tips for a cheaper remote please let me know.
    Thanks
  • catxnjcatxnj Member Posts: 5
    I had the EXACT same problem happen to me this week.
    PART # z38 FPC-MONI NAN241L872

I am going to go to a computer store and see if I can have the guys work on it or give me a duplicate. Some of this electrical metal strips are like power cords and many are alike.

If you find some help with MAZDA please let me know. :sick:
  • heartchheartch Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Does anyone know the item number for the remote control? We bought a used vehicle which did not have a dvd remoted and I'm trying to see if I can order directly from Bose; they need an item number. And if there is any other remotes we can use instead that works, please let us know. The dealership is really expensive! Thanks.
  • martymcflyskmartymcflysk Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring with Navigation and RSES. As I had read on these forums I did not expect the AUX input to work since the car had RSES. But to my surprise when I press the MEDIA button it switches between RSES and AUX.

I thought a switch was need to make it work but this appears to be factory functionality.

Do I have a later date model when Mazda had resolved this issue? In any case, I am glad it works!
  • pck19pck19 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a cx-9 with a nav and rses also. However, I cannot figure out how to use the rses with audio (without headset) for the kids in the back and listen to the radio myself in the front. Does the CX-9 have the ability for this or am I stuck listening to what the kids are watching. I have 3 kids and they cannot share one head set, nor will I shell out additional money for more. Thanks for your help. My manual does not indicate how to do this.
  • pck19pck19 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 grand touring CX-9 with a DVD/NAV.
    While my children are watching a movie in the back, is there any possible way for me to allow them to listen to the DVD in the back speakers while I listen to the radio in the front speakers. I know this is allowable with the headset on. However, I have 3 boys and only one headset. Therefore, I am only able to use the speakers.
    Thanks
    I don't think the MAZDA CX9 has this feature as far as I know.
  • agbiggsagbiggs Member Posts: 19
    If you go with an aftermarket DVD I think you can do this. I put in an Alpine unit (around $500, plus maybe $200 installation) and I think it can run independently of the stereo. Overall, glad I did this rather than go with the original equipment DVD.
  • pittguypittguy Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    We're looking at a 2011 GT-AWD with factory moonroof + NAV, but also want RSES.

Has anyone had experience with aftermarket headrest DVD-monitor set-ups for the CX-9? I've seen a few different types, including an Audiovox, but am wondering about performance & reliabilty.
  • dogdoc1997dogdoc1997 Member Posts: 32
    I was just quoted $1600 for a rear system, two DVD and wireless...BUT I haveseen sets with the DVD PLAYERS already in the headrests for $299...But not wireless, the one guy says they are not a "clean"install; as you have to plug into an outlet and wires running everywhere; I am NOT handy but this is too high; the dealer told me they can get it done for $1800; and the one guy said only ONE company can match my black leather and they ONLY sell two seperate DVD players, not one main and a monitor so I have to pay more for that to...help!!!!! I am in Atlanta. Dogdoc :confuse:
  • samhahnsamhahn Member Posts: 8
    Do yourself a favor and just get portable dvd player and head rest holder instead. I thought about getting after market dvd player installed as well but lot of places hire people who are not skilled enough and some of them can actually mess up your new car. I bought Panasonic 8.5" portable dvd player that has long play time and headrest player holder for less than $100 together. No tearing your car apart and if something breaks, just buy a new unit which is dirty cheap now days vs taking it back to store to get the unit replaced + installation cost all over again. I can move it to other car if needed as well. So glad I didn't go with after market install.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    i got some inexpensive headrest dvd players through Amazon and had a professional install it for a grand total of $500 combined. works great although matching the color of the headrest to the upholstery may not be exact. i can live with that since it saves me $500+.
  • jpd33jpd33 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem with my CX-9 RES. Where you able to find a fix?
    edited May 2011
    I was able to recover a piece from a junk source after a few months but after all the wait the DVD player no longer works! So, now, I have to hook up through the AUX input with a portable DVD. I have to wait to find someone's RES at the junk yard again!

If anyone has a RES system they are getting rid of for a new system please contact me, please.

Sorry, I was not much help.
  • luis56luis56 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my RES. The ribbon cable broke up and couldn't find the oem item. I found a ribbon cable in the Internet with the same features (12 cm long and 2 cm wide, and 40 pins). I think its better, because is more flexible than the oem cable. Today I install it and it is working very good.

I hope this help you. This is the link where I found the ribbon cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AWM-20624-80C-60V-RIBBON-CABLE-40-PINS-120mm-/220737165563?_- trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%- 26clkid%3D446128025306067659#ht_1128wt_747
    Awesome!! :D Thank you!!! I will make sure to get extra!

I am still looking for a DVD player if anyone want to get rid of theirs for a newer system.
  • bobs_2004bobs_2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the video display going out, but am apprehensive about breaking something while trying to open the system up. Can you tell me how to open it up to have access to the ribbon cable. Thanks
    edited June 2011
    Don't be scared, just careful.

Make sure to have ziploc bags nearby to separate the screws. Take a picture of everything after you take the bezel/cover off.

For the main cover - just pull it down. You will see some screws holding the unit. Unplug the power/signal connections [You'll need a thin flat head to do this].

After this it is simple. You will see a little latch holding the flat connection just pull it up and it unlocks the flat connection. Next, unscrew the monitor's bezel, and unlock the flat connection there also. Keep the black strip of tape you find inside because you can use that for the new flat connection. Put in your new strip. Buy it on Ebay from the link above...and you have yourself a working screen!

By the way, I still need a DVD player so if anyone is getting rid of their system for something different, please contact me I would like to buy it.
  • jpf2004jpf2004 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 09 with NAV and DVD entertainment and can't figure out how to listen to the DVD without headphones. I keep seeing reference to a media button, but there is no media button.
  • dice506dice506 Member Posts: 1
    I searched extensively for DVD headrest solutions, but every set available looked to be too wide to fit in the "shoulder" of the seat - about 10". I ended up installing an armrest mounted DVD player on the console and am quite pleased with it. It has IR headphones, or audio can be run through fm. Two disadvantages are: All three of my kids have to watch the same movie (suck it up, it'a a car not a living room!) and the video can't be seen from the 3rd row unless you are tall. I got the player on ebay shipped from NY for about $245. I did the install myself and it was very easy.
  • sizematterssizematters Member Posts: 6
    Great work on finding the equivalent cable dude! FYI to others who want to order this cable, the 120mm length no longer seems available but I have just written the seller to see if he can make it in 120mm and will post the answer when I get it. Closest available (standard) length is 200mm and it looks like there is enough room in the housing to accomodate a 40mm "fold".
  • chaddellchaddell Member Posts: 1
    hi there. i realize i'm a year late this thread but i stumbled upon it bc i have the same issue. i'm gonna try what you've suggested but could your re-send the ebay link with what part to purchase? i would be SO grateful.

thanks.
  • will_vwill_v Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone try the ribbon cable suggested buy catxnj above?
    I did not try that one, only the one originally posted, and it lasted about 12 months before it failed (cracked). Luckily, I had ordered two cables at that time in case this would happen (pat my own back!) so I just added two layers of electrical tape to this second one before installing it and everything works fine again. We'll see how long it lasts this time around. So I guess I'd recommend you give it a try, even order two, and make sure you just solidify it a little since it is probably cheaper plastic than OEM: all you stand to lose is 5-10$ and a half-hour of your time, and if it doesn't work, you just keep the console aside until you can try something else, you can still use the car. Oh yeah, I also filed the very sharp edges of the plastic holes through which the cable runs to reduce possible wear on the cable and slightly staighten the cable's path.
  • treyi20treyi20 Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem, i noticed a small break in the strip but my dvd monitor comes on when the monitor is half closed, do you think this is still caused by the strip or would it just be a sensor that got displaced, I am also very apprehensive about pulling the dvd cover off it is very tight and i'm worried i will break it, i don't see any visible screws to remove does anybody know where any directions with pictures or videos that have the removal of this included.
    I know it feels like it's gonna snap but have faith and just pull down on the cover as best you can and it will come off in one piece! And it's definitely the cable, no question, based on your symptoms. If it ever fails on minute again, I will make a video, but search YouTube !oand someone may have beat me to it! It's easier to replace than you think, plus no one will do it for you at the dealership, so you have nothing to lose. Good luck!
    do you have the specs on that cable, i click the link someone posted earlier but the listing has been removed.
    I found this one, it's a little longer but the width is right, heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111030888888&fromMakeTrack=tr- ue&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
    do you think it will work? and when pulling the cover off do you have any recommendations of hand position to pull?
    I found this one, it's a little longer but the width is right, heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111030888888&fromMakeTrack=tr- - ue&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
    do you think it will work? and when pulling the cover off do you have any recommendations of hand position to pull?
    Came off just like you said, I went with the ribbon cable i posted just waiting for it to come in them start the reassemble. thanks for all the help
  • theheydeytheheydey Member Posts: 1
    I have a same screen problem. I got cable, so I was trying to pull out the screen. BUT it is not as simple as you described.
    I pull it down as hard as I can, but I can pull it down.
    Can you describe more detail for this? Or if possible, can you make a video for that?
    Please help me. I need to fix it ASAP. My kids is waiting for it.
    Thanks.
  • campucampu Member Posts: 2
    Hi treyi20, did it work for you? i tried but it's either a wrong cable or i did something wrong. Thanks