Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX diesel

bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Acura
Hey Acura Guys & Gals. Am I the only one interested in the upcoming TSX diesel? I can hardly wait (maybe it's because I drive 55,000 miles a year & like the idea of 53 MPG on the road). I hear availability dates ranging from Sept, 08 to April 09. Anyone have any better info?.

I've driven the 09 2.4 and, in spite of some less than favorable reviews, I think it's a pretty good driving car; and the diesel is going to make it even more attractive.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions & thoughts about the car.l

Comments

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Honda has already said it's going to be in 09 - it's just a matter of when. Details should emerge around the start of the car show circuit - end of the year.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    a topic on TSX diesel introduction with 33 posts in it. Have a look -- go up to the top of this page and click on the Acura TSX link & go down the list.

The host will probably move these posts there, and perhaps update the title of the topic -- it's clear that the diesel isn't going to be introduced this year.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Available Calender year 2009.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    That could mean as late as model year 2010.
  • kcall2kcall2 Member Posts: 18
    A TSX diesel? I'm in! Have an '09 TSX service loaner in my driveway today. The dealer sent me home in it when my '01 TL went in for a seat cover replacement. Always thought the TSX looked like a TL-junior and would be too small for my needs. And it is quite a bit smaller, but wow, what a car! With a diesel torquer, I'm going to be there early with deposit in hand, soon as they announce! Since taking the car from dealer, I've driven about 50 miles, and am pretty impressed. The sales staff offered me a test drive a couple weeks ago, which I declined. The service manager gave me a day-long test drive. He should get the commission when I fork over the money, no? :);)
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    ....uhh... yeah, since the MY09 model is already out and there's no diesel what else could it be but an MY10 car. :shades:

Virtually all new cars that debut one calendar year are the next year MY.
    Interesting choice by Honda to put the diesel in the Acura first. I wonder if Honda is expecting a startup supply problem in producing these engines,thus putting it in the low volume Acura lineup initially? Perhaps they just think an Acura buyer can/will pay a little more? Thoughts?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It seems I read that Honda built a factory in the UK for their diesel engine. That it is used in the Accord in the EU. That car is the same as the Acura TSX that is sold here. I don't think that Honda sells their diesel anywhere else. I could be wrong. They also having a touring model that is quite nice looking. If VW is successful with their Sportwagon maybe we will see others.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I sure don't know the answer; but, if I had to guess, It's because the British Accord & the TSX are the same car; thus they're not faced a lot of the reengineering & production changes that would be required to put it in the Honda.

Whatever the reasons, I plan to be one of the 1st owners when the TSX diesel is avalable. I keep reading a lot of arguments, pro & con, about whether or not diesel pays. In my case, at 55,000 miles a year, it's a no brainer & I can hardly wait.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    The TSX is the European Accord and has been sold with a diesel for years.

I just got a gas '08 TSX and will be very interested in the diesel when it becomes available. Maybe there's some way to change out the awful front grille.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I think the European Accord is based on the Civic Platform. The diesel will be easy to install in the Civic. Think I will wait a few years and get the model with the best power to weight ratio. Check out Honda UK to observe the wide variance in Diesel mpg with the same engine placed in vehicles with different weights and aerodynamics.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    What I meant to point out was that a calendar year 2009 intro could mean either a mid 2009 model year intro, or as late as a MY 2010 intro. We're already in MY2009 for the TSX only because the new generation got an early start on MY2009.

I guess on hindsight my previous post didn't really offer any earth-shattering insight! :blush:
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I guess what it boils down to is that Honda/Acura are the only people who really know; and they'l tell us when they're ready
This discussion has been closed.