Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Headlight Problems

2»

Comments

• pepito51pepito51 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2011
    I plan to replace some headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. Any problem with those? Are they too hot?

Which is which in the 2002 Envoy? One of the bulbs has a sort of silver "diffuser" over it; is that the low beam? Would it be possible for someone like me to screw up and put a high beam bulb in the low beam socket and vice versa, or does the low beam bulb only fit in the low beam slot and the high beam bulb in the high beam slot :)

And which is the DRL--the high beam bulb or the low beam bulb? Thanks for info.

Oh one more question while I have your undivided attention. If I decide not to use the Silverstar and just go with some stock bulbs, what brand are the OEM bulbs and what retail places can I get them? Are they a GM brand?

Mine have lasted 9 years (90K miles) and still have no problem. I just don't want the Silverstar Ultra to overheat and melt any harness, etc. Has that been an issue? Maybe I should go with a lower price Sylvania and not the Ultra, or even the OEM/GM brand that has done well?
  • gdogg2011gdogg2011 Member Posts: 1
    I to have a 02 envoy i would be driving on a highway and my low beam would go out but i can use the high beam and fog lights no problem . If stop and turn off my truck and wait for 30 to 45 minutes they are back on has any one found a sulation to the problem please send information everyone that is having this problem this isn't safe for our family's . Thanks and be safe out there !
  • pepito51pepito51 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2011
    I have seen this discussed in a couple of forums, for both Envoys and Trailblazers. It's even been discussed a couple times in this forum.

Assuming your fuses are OK, the likely culprit is Relay #46 in the under-hood fuse box. To test that hypothesis, people have suggested that when the lights go out, one swap the suspect #46 relay with the adjacent cooling fan relay #45 (they look alike and may be the same part). If the low beam lights come back on, then that is further proof. If you continued driving with the relays swapped, the "Check Engine" light might come on, but should go away once you switch them back and put a new Relay #46. I myself wouldn't keep driving with them switched since it's possible that the cooling fan would not operate properly with the bad relay; I would use the switch only for a test.

Relay #46 is called an HDM relay. HDM means "headlamp driver module". It's more expensive because it is a solid-state relay. The relay costs $35-45 from a dealer; may be harder to find at auto parts retail stores, but you might luck out at some Autozone, OReilly, etc.. According to my web searches, the GM part number is 15016745 , but you ought to verify that for yourself. It should be clearly marked on the relay.

If you want to see how common this problem is, do a Google search and input "hdm relay #46" without the quotes, or search on "relay 15016745" without the quotes. After reading those threads, makes me want to get one of the relays to carry in my Envoy as a spare...
  • art61art61 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the headlights remaining on after the engine is shut off? This is on a 2004 Envoy, XUV...........tnx
  • meehancmeehanc Member Posts: 1
    Lately, I've been replacing my low beam headlights about every 6 months. I noticed today that my headlight went out again and when I went to replace it, the pin in the connector was burned. After reading the previous posts I'm worried that this will be more intensive than I thought. I know I'm looking at a new harness and lamp, but what else am I looking at? Is this a known problem on 2006 Envoys? Any permanent fixes?
  • flipsstereoflipsstereo Member Posts: 1
    i have the hid problem and i want to change it to the 9006 bulbs what kind of car could i get the bracket from to mount the bulbs and im having troubles finding the pics of the convestion could you also send me a link thank you so very much
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    S15jimmy hasn't logged on for a while and the link is dead now. All he specified was a "late 90's GM sedan".
  • ledford2ledford2 Member Posts: 1
    I want to say THANK YOU to all who posted about the dim headlights going out on 2003 Envoy. Already I have spent 135.00 and did not fix problem. Mechanic told me to bring to dealer it was body module. So I started searching and found this site and yes the problem was relay #46. Thanks so much for sharing. I love this site and will continue to come here when I have a problem. Apparently this vehicle has problems with lights. THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLESSINGS TO ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thepixie7thepixie7 Member Posts: 1
    My headlight connection keeps frying, so I replace the connection cords from the headlight to under the hood. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem? Dealer is no help.
  • badenvoyxlbadenvoyxl Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Envoy XL SLT. How much is it going to cost to fix this problem?
  • envoy99envoy99 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the ballast that operates the low beam/drl lamp? It appears to me that the only way to get to the ballast is to remove the bumper cover; however, that seems a bit extreme to me.

Thanks.
  • stretch15stretch15 Member Posts: 1
    Right side headlight comes on momentarily when cold and goes out. Can I assume the only resolve is to dump the HID light and convert to concentional lights as per item #25.
  • j_engj_eng Member Posts: 9
    I'd have your dealer mechanic check out the windows power module. I have a 2007, when at 72K miles the window module melted, shutting off all the electronics in the car and left me stranded. Also the burnt plastic smell lasted for a month even after using an Ionizer to get rid of the odor. If your instrument are going dim when your using the power windows then a partial short is dragging down the voltage and your on your way to a bigger problem and getting stranded. A seriuos poroblem on the 5 volt logic line doe not have a fuse.
  • labagainlabagain Member Posts: 2
    My problem with the lights on my 2002 Envoy is that when my lights are on, the left turn signal in the front wont work. when I turn the lights off, the turn signal works perfectly. Also the left lights are more dull than the right side. Any suggestions? I have changed the turn signal light, and checked the connections and all seem good and tight. The guy I bought it from is a mechanic and he has been unable to find it. He says he would need it longer to trouble shoot this. Thought if anyone had come across this issue I could help point him in the right direction. It won't pass inspection with this issue. :confuse:
  • grandfinallegrandfinalle Member Posts: 1
    i have a gmc envoy and my front head lights bulbs went out i paid for some more bulbs and put them in still they dont work. my high beams work and my fog lights work. but not my regular front lights. i bought a new switch for it and that didnt work. i tried to find the fuses and check them but all the fuses seem to be working. does anyone know what could be the problem
  • 04envoyxlv804envoyxlv8 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 and both low beams went out at the same time in 2006. Like you, replaced both bulbs and that didn't work. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it for free. Just went looking for the paperwork (I usually keep all that stuff) but couldn't find the documentation stating what they replaced.

The low beams have worked fine ever since but now I have a new problem. Driver side low beam went out. Bought two new bulbs to replace both. When I pulled out the bulb on the side that went out, the connector to the bulb was discolored. Removed the bulb and discovered the connector was internally half-fried. Checked the working bulb on the passenger side and everything looked fine.

There's enough wire to replace the connector...but, what caused it to have a meltdown?

Probably not related but another electrical issue showed up this past winter. Remote lock/unlock would not work sporadically, mostly when it was really cold and/or wet. When the remote went out I also noticed the rear defroster and wiper didn't work either. Everything is working fine again in the warm weather but I need to fix the problem before next winter. Anyone know what it is?
  • toddbaileytoddbailey Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 GMC Envoy is experiencing HID headlight issues. Factory parts are way too spendy.

Anyone have any experience, success or failure on using "after market" HID conversion kits?

From what it looks like I can either use a 9006 or a D2S kit, with out having the actual bulbs in hand it's hard to know if both have a 1 inch diameter flange mounting with o-ring seal.
  • toddbaileytoddbailey Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I basically fell out of my chair when I found out that a replacement lamp and ballast would cost well over $1000. I ultimately found 'hid lighting kits' on ebay

Now for less than the cost of a single bulb/ballast I replaced high, low and fog lamps with hid units. Not sure what GM was thinking when they used HID by Philips, but what I installed works and the price was right. The only downside was I had to use a hot glue gun to mount the low beam bulb to the lens assy.

Now that I know better, if any of these fail, I'll replace with 55 watt parts as the 35 watt units are not as bright as I'd like, but still much better than the 13 year old oem parts were. btw: for the fog lamps I used 3500K bulbs, for low beam I used 6500K and 9000 K for high
  • lvmyenvoylvmyenvoy Member Posts: 1
    I tried to changed out the relay but when the parts stores look it up it's not the same as in my Envoy. they keep pulling up 5 prong modules and I have only 4 (two on each side) prong modules. I have 2005 4 wheel drive 6 cyl. The low beams are the only thing not working. The high beams work. I changed the switch becaue someone told me to. $200 later still not working. i switched the washer lamp with the headlight lamp. It worked for a few minutes then went back out again. It still did not work on automatic. Please help I don't have a lot of $$ to fix this.
  • myenvoy2005myenvoy2005 Member Posts: 1

My daughter's 05 Envoy lost low beams yesterday. Looking here I found the fix to replace relay #46. I swapped it with relay #45 and lights worked so off to the store for a new relay. Thanks.

• myenvoyandmemyenvoyandme Member Posts: 1

I have a 2005 envoy. Recently when I turn the fog lights on the low beams turn off. I usually depend on the fog lights to see at night because the low beams do not help much. Read here about the #46 relay, bought it changed it but the situation is the same. Checked the fuses 6,3, 53 and the are ok. What else could it be? :s

• xgraphixxgraphix Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    THIS IS POSSIBLY YOUR LOW BEAM and/or HIGH BEAM FIXES

I HAD the same problems as many of you do ... It is actually a pretty quick fix if it turns out to be the same as my issue. After installing aftermarket HID lights, my low beams would not come on. turns out it is a fuse, but it isn't the low beam headlight fuses ... so here is the issue I found.

Turns out ... fuse #53 is a 15 amp fuse that feeds into relay 46 which then feed into the low beam headlight fuses #3 and #6. It is fuse #53 that needs to be replaced. If that turns out to be okay try replacing your #46 relay, but #53 fuse should do it.

As far as the high beams ... its the same for those ... the #9 feeds relay #43 and then feeds into high beam fuses #2 and #5 ... it could be fuse #14 that feeds relay #43 but I am pretty sure it is #9 since it is a 15 amp fuse. so if your having high beam issues, be sure to check fuses #9 and #14.

I hope this helps many of you ... I was stumped until I pulled out a meter and tested all the fuses. If this works for you, please let us all know.
  • zoraczorac Member Posts: 1
    angelj said:

I have a 2005 GMC Envoy and my headlights have quit working, well at least the low beams (both sides at the same time). I have checked the fuses and the bulbs and both are fine. What else can I check before giving up and landing at the mercy of a local auto shop? I am not exactly a mechanical girl, so feel free to speak in short words.

Did u get an answer I have same problem
  • harris63harris63 Member Posts: 1
    under the hood in the fuse box relay#46 goes bad....take the relay out of slot 45 and put it in slot 46 this should fix the problem worked on a 2005 saab 9-7x (same as envoy) thanks to those who poseted this fix saved my frien hundreds of dollars and miles to the dealership !!!!!!