Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Brakes

gem2623gem2623 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Toyota
I have a 2005 4 runner who needs brakes at 29,600 miles. The toyota dealer that normally services my truck sent me a coupon for a front brake service for $89.95. However when i called to verify the coupon they told me that was without resurfacing the discs or rotors. that it would cost 189.99. Also that if i wouldn't get the discs resurfaced that the new brakes would not be covered if the brakes started to squeal. Is it possible at 29,600 i have to resurface the discs or is that a sales pitch to get more money.

Comments

• gem2623gem2623 Member Posts: 3
    have a 2005 4 runner who needs brakes at 29,600 miles. The toyota dealer that normally services my truck sent me a coupon for a front brake service for $89.95. However when i called to verify the coupon they told me that was without resurfacing the discs or rotors. that it would cost 189.99. Also that if i wouldn't get the discs resurfaced that the new brakes would not be covered if the brakes started to squeal. Is it possible at 29,600 i have to resurface the discs or is that a sales pitch to get more money.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Why do you think you need front new brakes after only 30k miles?
  • gem2623gem2623 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, well it was brought to my attention when i did the 30,000 recently, and the brakes do feel low when i press them. I might change the brakes not resurface the discs what do you think after all the pads will be oringinal toyota pads.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If the rotors are scored, then you'll just wreck the new pads if you don't do something to the rotors. If the rotors are too thin to be turned, then you'll need new rotors. You might find that a independent shop will do a brake job for less than the dealer.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Turning (resufacing) the rotors is a waste of time and money. They will only warp again. New rotors is the way to go. I suggest Brembo rotors (try tirerack.com) and OEM (Toyota) pads. Even at an independent shop this COMPLETE brake job will cost around $300.00.
  • bandit10bandit10 Member Posts: 28
    I'm trying to figure out why you need brakes at 29,600 miles. But the dealer is right, because without resurfacing the discs, the pads would get a short life and squeling is a possiabilty. Because of uneven wear on the pads from distorted discs. And greater damage to the discs over all in the long run.
  • woods927woods927 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 toyota 4 runner with 144,000 miles on it. I recently put new front brake pads and rotors on. But it still shimmies when i tough the brakes. If i apply them hard its fine, its only when i am slowly slowing down. what could cause that and how can i get rid of it.... IT DRIVES ME NUTS.
  • 4runner2004sc4runner2004sc Member Posts: 6
    the brakes on my 2004 4runner seem to go way low to the floor..any idea why this is as i see a few others asking about it..I have had the pads replaced and i am at 70k, but wondering if you had anything come to mind as it scares me and it feels mushy and not real reliable..i am used to a pedal that comes higher up, this one is almost on the floor..thank you kelly
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    I used to have a 1999 4Runner Limited 4WD that I had to replace the rotors/pads every 5-10k miles. I was told by the toyota dealership that if I do not clean the rear drums then more braking happens in the front rotors, thereafter the warping of rotors... long story short, I did some investigation and found out that the issue was with the over torque when I had the tires rotated. In conclusion, be careful when you rotate the tires and always ask for precise torque setting.
  • max104max104 Member Posts: 4
    did you replace the rotors? sounds like you may have air in your system. try bleeding the brakes it may help
  • lesgrtlesgrt Member Posts: 1
    i believe i need to replace my power brake assist. my 95 4runner has rear anti-lock brakes. can i replace the power assist with one that does not have rear anti-lock brakes? Quite a bit of price difference and I really do not care if it has rear antilock or not.
This discussion has been closed.