Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited December 2013
    It would sound like a wonderful time to be a landlord where you are. Let's just hope (for your sake) the city where you are does not follow the Detroit model of running municipalities.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited December 2013
    Just looking at the 2014 Touareg TDI on Edmunds. If I was buying today it would still be the TDI Lux. However the TMV is about $6,000 higher. The selection is far less, only 4 in all of Southern CA. They have dropped the free service down to 24 months or 24k miles. They are not offering $0 down or 0% financing. I have never owned a vehicle I like as much as this one. 7500 miles averaging 26.6 MPG, what's not to like?? It does not collect dust in the garage like the Sequoia did. Busy planning our next cross country route. Yellowstone Park is on the list. Probably late summer so we can take the back roads less traveled through Cody, Sheridan etc.
    edited December 2013
    Yee haw !! I am glad to hear both in before and 20/20 hind sight, that you are happy with the (13) VW Touareg TDI.

I fear that VW raised the price of (14 VW T TDI) admission $ 6 k because guys like me were running off at the mouth. (so to speak, actually blogging?) :) More seriously, I think a fair number of (serious buyers) folks have caught on to the fact the underpinning for the hugely popular Porsche Cayenne, which can cost MORE than double are in fact VW Touareg's and diesels' specifically, TDI's.

Tha price premium and the others points are HUGE corrections ! Still, I swallow a bit hard saying this, the VW T TDI is probably STILL worth the price of admission.

The following is on point for you and off point for diesel. While I liked the poorly rated oem GY LS2 tires (one reason 14,000 miles per 1/32nd wear) , I am having good luck with and am enthused about the better rated (actually #1 on the current bitt parade ) Continental CC LX20's W/ EPT. It also seems to appear the issue I raised with worse mpg between tires could have been a straw man, really due to newness and other variables and changing conditions. They also seem to steer much more precisely, which may take a tad getting used to.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    edited December 2013
    Maybe not. There's a huge amount of recent construction, so it is as much a renters market as it is a landlord's. If one doesn't like a rent increase, they will find something else. It's not a cheap place, but there's some semblance of balance. A funny thing happened several years ago - rents spiked, then some simply moved out of the neighborhood, and rents then collapsed (mine went down to levels less than 5 years prior). Developers (few buildings here are privately owned) are often poor at managing supply. It happens with condo markets too.

This city is one of the most affluent in the region and shows no signs of slowing down. Hot industries and scarce land helps for a lot, too. The city leadership itself is of course as inefficient as most of the public sector, but relatively speaking, it is one of the better places to live - and population growth supports that.
    edited December 2013
    I would agree, once you describe both the area and landscape. Almost all RE is LOCAL, LOCAL, LOCAL.

So for example, rents in SF, CA (even in the crash) continued to spike. Indeed it is still spiking.

Again not to beat a dead horse, contrast that with.... Detroit. Why pay rent when one can literally SQUAT :) There is probably now a political action group now: Squatter's RIGHTS !!! :)

More seriously, this might be the bottoming of an old decaying 50 year ending cycle; coming up on a NEW 25/35 year cycle (aka the iconic AMERICAN literally LAND of OPPORTUNITY) for that area, once unions et al, figure out that thug behavior is old in the tooth and not in everyone's, to their best interests. One could probably pick up a sq block with a negotiated deal to get the block on some kind of minimal tax roll.
    edited December 2013
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/car-reviews/2014-volkswagen-touareg-tdi-sport-revie- - - - - - w/#/20

I found this, wandering around ! The reviewer is a bit clueless, as he fails to make any number of comparisons, which then slants his conclusions. Here are two examples:

1. gasser gasser/hybrid vs TDI Touareg's (mpg's since this seems to be high on his priority lists)

2. how many vehicles @ sub or @ 5k #'s rate a EPA of 20/29 mpg?

3. by a few of his comments it is clear he didn't know how to optimize the diesel differences, hence "acceptable fuel mileage".

4. Now how many folks would make a vehicle decision based on the CON that a cubby interrupts design lines?
    The writer is a bit of a dork alright. Thinking a Range Rover or Subaru are in the same class off road as a Touareg. Don't he know they have won the Dakar over all every time they entered? I keep my reading glasses and sun glasses in that handy little cubby.

I also like the Goodyear LS2 tires. It depends on how well they hold up. I am not a big Goodyear fan. Michelin does not offer a lot in that size. Keep us posted on your Continentals.
  • So.....that's why you guys talk about the Touareg so much! It's Porsche underpinnings. Well, how much $ would I be looking at to drive a 2013 Diesel Touareg (nicely equipped...not stupidly equipped. I don't need driver nannies).

It is snowing here in NOVA, and I miss my Grand Cherokee today!
    If you liked your Grand Cherokee I would go test drive the new diesel model. I don't think there are many 2013 Touareg TDIs floating around these days. The Sport model is the lowest priced and has the least content. I would think if you find one it would be in the $45k range.
  • I liked Goodyear Wrangler's on my Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. I had the optional 245/70/16, and let me tell you....I loved the way she "hooked up" in rain/snow. Great driving truck. I Miss the V8 sound and torque. I Don't miss the F/E, or the maintenance. Again, it is snowing and sleeting here so I have SUV on the brain.

One thing I noticed today. The OEM mud guards on my car are a hindrance in the snow. I had to clear it all out with a broomstick after a 15 min drive, and it must have added 20 pounds of weight per wheel. Then I had to clear it again on the way back.
  • I wish I had kept my Jeep. It was a 99, which was the first year for the best looking model IMHO, the WJ. It never let me down, and felt unstoppable in every condition I put it through. I knew where all the wheels were, and I could feel much grip I had with each one. It had it's share of mechanical gremlins, but they were all fixed under warranty. In the end, none of my family needed it, it was killing me on gas, and I no longer needed car seats for my kids. It was my minivan "alternative".

I do think the new one is the best looking traditional SUV on the market. Then again, I see it through former owners eyes. Anyway, you can see it on my imgur site if you are bored.

http://cski12894.imgur.com/all

If I needed another SUV though it would be diesel. Believe it or not, I saw a BMW X6 on the road yesterday, and I think it looks good to, despite what Jeremy Clarkson said!
    edited December 2013
    ..."So.....that's why you guys talk about the Touareg so much! It's Porsche underpinnings."...

Would I have bought it if it were NOT a Porsche bro/sis? Absolutely YES !!

There is a long TMI to the over all answer, if you or the board wants me to post.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Why not? It's a diesel, right? ;)
    edited December 2013
    I just got in 2 hours ago. Roads were cleared pretty well for what seemed to be the early winter efforts. Lots of cars seemed to be overly cautious. For trying conditions, it was absolutely early winter gorgeous! Seemed to be a pretty massive snow clearing effort on the main drag in SLT, CA. I went to get fuel, but the station was having freezing issues with the pumps. I took on 25 gals/26.4-752 miles @ an alternate station. Snow dumped overnight in the driveway measured 18 in high . I am told @ 9,500 ft snow overnight was more like 36 in.
    edited December 2013
    Well,.... Seemed to be the best of the (3 BMW X5 35D, MB GL 350 BlueTec, VW Touareg TDI ) TDI candidates for my wants/needs in the segment, offered @ the time.
    edited December 2013
    I like the looks of the JGC also. Plus it shares a platform with the ML Mercedes. To me the only unknown will be the new diesel engine from Italy. Though it has at least a couple years on the road in the EU. I don't think you will get any V6 diesel SUV under $45k. The very capable GLK250 Bluetec can be had under $40k. Those are base models. As powerful and responsive as they are the X5 35D would be my last choice. They are just not as comfortable as the other offerings. Though they tied the Touareg TDI in the 0-60 test at 6.9 Seconds. The Cayenne TDI was only a tenth of a second faster.
    edited December 2013
    The Porsche Cayenne TDI also sports some (different) suspension "bits" that make the handling more "Porsche like". The upshot is slightly higher G force numbers in the slalom tests.

TMI: I read an article in passing about the front sway bar that past a certain loading, presses back on the bar to give it a slightly better performance parameter.

Now how this positions itself with the new 14 VW Touareg TDI "R LINE" suspension bits upgrade has been not really DETAILED (written) about.
    It is hard to tell what the price difference is between the Cayenne and Touareg. I personally like the looks of the T-Reg over the Cayenne egg look. As close as I can tell you would pay about $20k more for a comparable Cayenne TDI to the Lux TDI. One big difference is the NAV in the Touareg is the latest RNS 850 with 8 inch display. The Cayenne still has the older NAV with 7 inch display. No mention of SiriusXM traffic that I could find on the Porsche website. The VW comes with 4 years XM traffic included. That is a handy feature that re-routes you around bad situations and long delays. I am more than pleased with the handling. So that is not a factor for me to think about.
    edited December 2013
    No snow overnight. At this writing, the outdoor sensor is indicating 5 degrees with wind chill on the Weather Channel @ MINUS - 10 F degrees (feels like) with a further "BITTERLY COLD indication. Right now no starting issues. I am setting out to shovel a walkway. Other than that all is well !
    edited December 2013
    Heat wave here ! I almost had to unlayer ! ? Weather Channel indicated a rise to MINUS - 6 "Bitterly COLD" unchanged. The outdoor sensor showed 7 F degrees !! :) Man, that VW T TDI is almost dirtier than I can describe.
  • I can deal with the thought of 18"....but 36" dumped in one night? OMG.
    edited December 2013
    Well you know.... GLOBAL warming !! :)

Not many cars to pass on the way down off the mountain altitude. The fully loaded hay and LOGGING trucks are real pro's. Double tanker (RUG/PUG) trucks deserve mention also. For 106 miles did 34.6 mpg, avg. (I do love that no fuel draw and almost no brake use on way down relatively UNIMPEDED) The roads were at WORST wet, even as the temperatures (25 degrees F ish) could have supported ICE.
    ..."I can deal with the thought of 18"....but 36" dumped in one night? OMG."...

TMI, 6,225 ft vs @ 9,300 ft.
    edited December 2013
    The Wall Street Journal had an interesting "LEFT FIELD" (to normal car boys and girls- my) take on the (late arrival) new Jeep Cherokee.

... "The vehicle is getting rave reviews, but why was its rollout stalled? Chrysler needed time to fine tune the software driving its nine-speed transmission. (fair enough: (my op/ed)

Why a nine speed transmission? Because of fuel mileage overkill driven by Mr. Obama's new rules, which require Chrysler to increase its fleet average to 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025 from 20.6 last year.

Why do we say overkill? Because the technology adds more in cost than it does in value for consumers, given the declining price of gas. At $3.25, the price of gasoline today per mile traveled, in real terms, is lower than it was in the 1950's. By one academic estimate, gas would have to reach $5.00 before consumers would voluntarily buy the 35.5 mpg cars Mr. Obama requires carmakers to sell in 2016."...

pg. A19, Wed, Dec. 11, 2013, Opinion: Business World By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr. WSJ

This is the "GOOD NEW's ! ?" Read the rest of the article for the REAL EYE openers.

Here is a teaser:

..." Chrysler is a tragedy in the full Greek sense"...
    edited December 2013
    Perhaps the increasing mpg is lowering demand and zapping gas prices.

Or maybe it's the speculators, lol. Some of both perhaps, but the real news is the glut of supply. You have to wonder if people have slowed their driving down a bit.

In other news, a VW dealer in the SoCal area told me this morning that diesel penetration is relatively low for his area. Everyone wants a Prius.
    edited December 2013
    That logic combined WITH going less AVG yearly miles does have its effects. Normally it is expressed cumulatively ( in total gals used or barrels of oil. In this case, LESS)

So for example if I do 15,000 miles per year (higher avg US driver mileage) @ 15 mpg AND do it going forward on 30 mpg, I am using HALF the gals (1000 before, 500 gals after). What that does tell me are the systems are experiencing real PAIN @ the new Prius mpg, even as the systems tells everyone they should get Pious or better mpg, while they disallow them from the market NOW.

So for example, VW can bring any number of much higher mpg cars to market NOW (with off the shelf technology !!!! ). The really wild thing is they could have done it a minimum of 1 decade AGO !! ??? However, they would have/ will be severely punished for doing so. My 03 Jetta TDI 50 mpg + is a good OLD example.

Pious mpg needed 10 years of constant improvement and redesign to get to 50 mpg.

If you had listened to the SO CAL enviro con mantra all of the So Cal pollution was caused only by a hand full of VW TDI's. Priuss of course would clean up So CA air !! Clearly, those characterizations were and remains preposterous !!!

It would be interesting to know the details as to So CA VW sales and diesel " % laggards". What that also tells me is there is a certain amount of contempt for the enviro con goals and rules. (Hollywood Hypocrisy?)
    Those pesky unintended consequences at work again.

The other story I heard this week was how someone (a dealer, not corporate, supposedly), got eight or ten celebs to show up at the Academy or other big-whoop awards show in black Prius limos. Instant "green" cred for the celebs and wonderful advertising for the Prius.

The backstory is that the celebs transfered into the Prii a block away from their armored Tahoes for the short ride to the red carpet. :D
    edited December 2013
    CA and SO CA car markets serve as bellwethers for the US auto industry, and for a myriad of reasons (perhaps the middle english definition is also apropos: or as Fintail is fond of saying: shepple):) . They even are a siren call for smoke and mirrors. While some would take extreme umbrage @ the first sentence; where goes the CA car markets, so goes the US markets.

So yes, those unintended consequences are normally what the systems are solving for. So for two more (CAR) examples, MTBE and ethanol. Both are and continue to be almost unmitigated disasters in dollars and have exacted the complete opposite of environmental cleanliness. We are STILL paying for the mitigation costs and effects of MTBE. The same will probably be true of ethanol ! They really give practical science a bad name. Indeed, if one looks at SO CA the bad air (spare the air days) are more prevalent than in the good ole "disaster days of Environmental Armageddon. "
    I think DeCaprio started that trend about 10 years ago with the Prius grand entrance. Most of Hollywood are sicko Limo Liberal hypocrites anyway. Supported by those that watch TV and waste money going to the theater. You have the other extreme:

Remember the International CXT pick-up truck we brought you way back when? Well we figured it would be a hit in the industrial market and as a promotional item like we saw last fall. But now it seems the CXT is in the hands of celebrities. Folks like Ashton Kutcher and Jalen Rose actually ponied up and bought one while others like Nick Lachey and Jay Leno just test drove the suckers (and I guess got their photos taken too). West Coast Customs is even working on a tricked out version with monster rims. We're just hoping this is the shortest trend of all time.

edited December 2013
    DeCaprio's name did come up in that discussion.

The semi-clone should offer even better security than a Tahoe. And you can tow your fifth wheeler dressing room around with you.
    I would guess only about 10% of the Hollywood Eco wannabes drive a Prius as their main ride. I do know that Woody Harrelson drives a VW TDI in Hawaii on Bio Diesel. He lives on the Willie Nelson off the grid compound on Maui. Willie has an E320 CDI running on B100. Willie's wife has an older Jetta wagon TDI.

Woody Harrelson lives off-grid in Hawaii and his plug-in Toyota RAV4 is his pride and joy, reports the London Sunday Times.

Harrelson keeps the Toyota in Los Angeles, but his main home is in Hawaii, where he has a VW Beetle that runs on biodiesel, and a motorbike, which he presumably has no choice but to run on dirty old petrol.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    edited December 2013
    and a motorbike, which he presumably has no choice but to run on dirty old petrol.

I met a man in a torrential rain storm south of Seattle on our way home back in September. He was in a map shelter waiting out the weather while his sport bike sat about twenty feet away refueling.... with electricity! Amazingly (to me, anyway), Washington has electricity refueling stations at many of its rest areas along I-5, and this guy was recharging his electric bike. He said he usually gets 60-100 miles out of it, with a top speed of 110 MPH (I hope I'm remembering those numbers correctly). He said he had only gone about 30 miles, with another 25 remaining before he reached his destination, when he decided to refuel as a way of doing something productive while he waited out the weather.

So, I guess if Woody is using a "petrol" bike, he doesn't have to do that anymore unless he chooses to do so! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Map shelter?

That's a new term for a rest area for me.

This will make for good one-to-one comparisons:

Is Ford planning diesel- and hybrid-powered Mustangs? You bet (digitaltrends.com)
    edited December 2013
    http://www.bankrate.com/finance/economics/reasons-gasoline-prices-drop-2.aspx

Here is a graph of the "lessening" fuel growth . When in fuel decline, aka lessening prices time for a car driven.... VACAY !! :)
    edited December 2013
    Not exactly a safe journey nor an exercise in good judgement on a motor cycle if he knew a torrential rain storm was approaching. Perhaps the real joke is when does it NOT rain in the Pacific North West?

The questions I would have are:

1. how much per mile driven (fuel)
    2. cost per KWH ?
    3. the costs difference between the two
    4. Another would be if one applies minimum $15 per hour to real wage standards (say a UPS longer haul driver) for wait time, that also needs to be be included, which is probably overlooked.
    edited December 2013
    Biodiesel's prospects are appearing GRIM.

To me the signal that Congress would have been serious was to legislate and get the enforcement agencies to certify a TDI engine capable of running 100% biodiesel. Ethanol may already be in a state of "ARRESTED DECAY"
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Why the prius over the tdi in california? It's not all due to movie star appeal!

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=18615&id=31577&id=22016&id=- 31767

1. Cost to fuel: Even though the '03 & '12 Jetta TDI with manual transmissions get in the mid 40's MPG based on consumer averages, so does the '06 & '12 Prius. In fact, the Prius has been improving with their models, while Jetta TDIs have been going down in MPG. And even if TDIs and Prius are both averaging 45mpg but you're paying $.50 to $1.00 more per gallon for the diesel, that will add up.

2. Transmission: most people don't want to use a manual transmission, and VW TDI automatics are only averaging in the upper 30s MPG, so you lose the parity with the Prius MPG if you go with the TDI automatic.

3. Reliability: Any statistics you look at will consistently rate Toyota, and specifically the Prius, as one of the most reliable cars in the market:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/toyota-prius-tops-reliability-chart/
    I have yet to see VW or TDIs with similar steller ratings.

4. Emissions - if you look at the "Energy and Environment" tab on fueleconomy.gov, you'll see that TDIs get a 6 rating with the Prius getting a 9 rating.

5. Total Ownership costs based on initial cost, maintenance costs, repairs, mpg, resale, etc.
    http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clarkhoward/cars/more-american-cars-top-list-che- apest-own/nDPc8/

That being said, a jetta tdi, especially the sport wagon version, isn't a bad car to own, especially if someone does most of their driving on the highway (although my '06 Prius consistently gets 50+mpg on the highway as long as I'm in the 65mph range). And I completely admit that a Jetta handles better and uses more quality materials inside, although VW has been recently been skimping in those areas recently. But I think if you simply look at #1-5 above, you'll see why the Prius is the better car in those areas, and I guess folks prioritize their car buying in #1-5 above over the better handling TDI.

And there's still the perception (inaccurate) of stinky diesels out there, as well as the reality of the higher diesel price posted at every gas pump.
    Nothing the EPA does makes a lot of sense. I am sure it is all tied to kick backs and pay offs to the right people in our government. Ethanol cut backs are needed. Why mess with biodiesel? it is such a small part of the picture. It is all positive, where ethanol is more negative than positive. There is no mandate for biodiesel blending. It is left up to the market. So the EPA should just butt out. There should not be a cap on making biodiesel from waste oil at all. Biodiesel from food stocks I can understand. Everything our Federal government touches turns to Crap. They were not happy messing up the economy by meddling in the housing market. Sheeeesh it also screwed up my Green Star Products stock. That will teach me a lesson investing in anything green I can't eat.
    edited December 2013
    When you compare real competitors: the 12 (your year of example) Jetta (45 mpg) and Passat (41.3 mpg) TDI's really face off with the 12 Toyota's Camry (28.8 mpg) and Camry Hybrid (39.6 mpg). Both of those Toyota competitors post less mpg than either the Jetta/Passat TDI's. Emissions are pretty similar. Indeed the Passat TDI set a record for 84+ mpg @ 5 miles UNDER the speed limit (65 mph) Many Passat TDI owners report 50/55 mpg @ 65 mph.

Indeed the 12 Highlander hybrid posts 25.2 mpg, while the VW Touareg TDI posts 28 mpg. The 12 Highlander Hybrid AWD weighs - 212 #'s LESS than the VW Touareg TDI AWD.
    edited December 2013
    Yes I would agree if "mpg" were one of the real" driver's" here, the EPA, suffering from math anxiety, is not letting a lot of better "mpg" cars in. VW Polo is one @ 75 mpg. This of course beats the Prius "fit tee" 50 mpg by 50%. They make sure it is uneconomically feasible to get em here.

The truth is the Prius in its minority sales status exists so that Toyota can sell its gas guzzling "light" TRUCKS IAW EPA rules.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2013
    And furthermore, while bob did acknowledge some fair differences, he failed to acknowledge a really really significant one...one that Americans embrace and hold near and dear to their hearts. What is that you might ponder?? It's the fact that the TDI's could EAT any Prius FOR LUNCH..while pulling a 1200 lb trailer behind it AND having 4 occupants on board.

While I think bob mighta been trying to compare fairly, the two biggest glaring omissions do still count quite a bit. The other big glaring omission is that while he points out that if doing a lot of hwy, the TDI might be the better choice, he diminishes credibility by then stating that his Prius gets 50+, but the big difference is, he has to baby it (something he did not say) and he MUST keep it under 65 mph. The TDI does not have to be babied and delivers superior MPG well above the highest speed limits. Now if we were to talk about hilly terrain, his comparo then falls on the rails even worse.

I'm glad he acknowledged the superior handling of the TDI, even if he did fail to mention the TDI not only rides better but is much quieter inside too.

But all that said...there is a place for hybrids like the Prius in this world, but their strengths are for city stop and go. For all-around-use tho, they are hard-pressed to compete with a TDI. And IF they gave them the same amount of GO as a TDI, it simply wouldn't be a contest at all...and they'd be back struggling to make their case, even in the city.

And..bob..the DSG auto doesn't demand the MPG penalty the 6 sp Steptronic does.
    Also..I guess we can assume it would take an awful lot for him to buy a diesel. Maybe if he were to live in extremely cold climates with mountainous terrain and had to tow a small trailer on a regular basis, he might consider one, lol
    edited December 2013
    We did have to "work on him" with the facts over any number of years to get him to even admit that to himself. The writing shows little indication. So it is (for him) a big step to even acknowledge what he (begrudgingly) has acknowledged.

..."But all that said...there is a place for hybrids like the Prius in this world, but their strengths are for city stop and go. For all-around-use tho, they are hard-pressed to compete with a TDI. And IF they gave them the same amount of GO as a TDI, it simply wouldn't be a contest at all...and they'd be back struggling to make their case, even in the city. "...

Evidently this "logic" has eluded the folks who do taxicabs in cities: like NYC, for at least a decade (2003 Prius was one of the first ). The % of hybrids is not anywhere CLOSE to 100%, or a simple majority for that matter. Police and fire (vehicles) most certainly have IGNORED hybrids (Prius) also.
    I must first point out that I have advised people to test drive a Prius. I have never suggested a VW TDI to anyone. I don't want to hear any whining if it is not what they expected. I have ridden several times in my buddies Prius that I advised him to get. He puts a lot of miles on around town visiting hospitals and hospices. After riding with him, I would not even consider a Prius. Noisy rough riding little buggers.

The comparison between a Highlander Hybrid and the Touareg TDI could be more apples to apples. The Highlander manages to get 7 seats into the same 188 inches as the Touareg. Seems crowded to me. The Sequoia at over 200 inches was not bad in the back row. Looking at Fuelly the Highlander Hybrid is not in the same league as the T-Reg TDI. Not a lot of Highlander posters to compare. Only 2 hybrids for 2013. Best one getting 24.6 MPG and the other 22.8 MPG. Evidently Touareg TDI owners are proud of their mileage. There are 29 diesels posted for the 2013 model alone. Both from the USA and Canada. I am about in the middle with an over all average of 26.6 MPG. They range from a low of 22 mpg to a high of 32 MPG.

So let's compare the two.
    Range:
    T-Reg TDI 700 miles
    Highlander Hybrid 400 miles
    Towing:
    T-Reg 7700 lbs
    HH 3500 lbs
    0-60 MPH:
    T-Reg TDI 6.9 sec
    HH 7.2 sec
    2013 Prius C 10.7 sec

If you have 5 kids better get the Highlander. If you want to cruise all day at 80+ MPH and still get great mileage get the VW Touareg TDI. Fastest way across TX.
    ...cuz of the transfer to the new platform..just wanna mention how much I have enjoyed chatting with you guys here on this forum the last few years..
    In no particular order..steve, ruking, gagrice, fintail, cski, wes, and I think a few others too..but please don't take offense if I missed a few other obvious ones by name.

I think our usernames here transfer over to the other platform as the same name?

Anyway, it's been fun..hopefully we'll catch you guys over there.

Cranky :thumb up:
    lol, hopefully all the discussions (and us) will move over just fine.

But in case the Matrix swallows us whole, thanks and likewise! :D
    edited December 2013
    So how do we know if we are in or out of the new platform? Is it run by the folks that run healthcare.gov :) ?
    I gotta say, I'm impressed the HH musters 7.2..
    Who wudda thunk?

Of course driving it like that, it'd drink more than an RR or Lambo 12 jug..
    The new platform will make you wonder why the missing cylinders weren't reactivated years ago. But the new HUD is going to be a bit of a learning curve for all of us.
    The Highlander Hybrid and RX450 H share the same drivetrain. The RX seems tuned for Premium only and is probably faster. The hybrids outperform the gassers in the same vehicle. The torque from the electric motors give a good boost off the line. I have not driven either one so don't know how they handle or ride. The RX is what keeps Lexus in business.
    Ya, I believe that.

As for the THH and the RXH umph, I'll betcha they're geared to really perform in that speed range. Probably the first three gears gets you to 60 and they will be closely spaced. I'll bet the fun really falls off fast much north of 75 or so. I assume they're 6 speeds? Surely not CVTs..

I suspect the VW T (TDI) would just walk away from them at a 100. Maybe even from 90 and up.
    What speed is the T at about 3500 revs in 4th? What about 5th?
This discussion has been closed.