Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
This topic is a continuation of Topic 1745....

THE TOYOTA 4RUNNER??????????. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm number one!!!
  • blstncblstnc Member Posts: 1
    I need some opinions. First, I have decided to buy a 4runner (yeah). It really seems like a reliable vehicle and worth the price. The question is how much over invoice is reasonable? I want to buy a SR5 with sport package, but these are hard to find so I think I will have to order a 2001 model. Dealer wants to charge me 5% over invoice which I feel is high. I am use to negotiating a flat fee over invoice. Has anyone heard if they are changing the interior cloth on the 2001? I have seen the changes on the toyota site for the 2001, but didn't see anything on this. Other than the fuel gauge problems, has there been anything else significant? Thanks everyone who posted a response to my previous posting and to everyone who responds to this.
  • stiffstiff Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2000 SR5 4wd manual. It included options C7,C9,RE,RH,SR,V5,XF. I paid $29,825 before tax and license--this was tons cheaper than any internet company. I have a few questions about after-market products. First is there a winch mounting application that will not affect the air bag? Also what is the best after market differential lock-and how much is it?

Thanks
  • stiffstiff Member Posts: 3
    I was offered a manual SR5 with a sport package with option package #4, Conv.-package, fogs, Sun-roof, rear heater and running boards for $30,133--I think this is pretty good deal--the color is silver.

--stiff
    Check outs Edmunds new TMV numbers. This is what is considered a "good deal" price based on national surveys. Take that figure and add the options and the destination and you will have something to compare your dealer's offer with.
  • p_ohp_oh Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone taken their '00 back for excessive movement of the Automatic Transmission Shift lever and hi/low 4WD shift lever? I know this has been discussed before and that all 4 runners do this to some extent, but it is driving me to distraction. Every time i drive over any road surface that is not glass smooth both levers are constantly moving. Someone previousy mentioned that it had gotten so bad that theirs actually jumped out of gear. Any comments?
  • 4run44run4 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2000 Limited with the door cladding. Is anyone else worried that the lack of a tight fit and sealing of the cladding may lead to rust years down the road? I am very tempted to remove it and just go with the stock fender flares which seem to have better sealing. It seems to me the cladding will hold dirt and moisture and roughly be akin to never washing the paint which the cladding covers....
  • prerunner2prerunner2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen the 2001s on the lot yet?
    I am talking to a dealer that says he will know what will be arriving on his lot tomorrow.

I still can't find a brochure on one, but I hear that the options for this year are simplified.

Car and Driver mag. says that a 190 hp V6 will be standard next year on all models, up from last years 183. I thought the same engine was being used this year?
    They will be here shortly. I have two of them at the port right now and they will be in any day now. Take anything you read in a magazine with a grain of salt. Popular Mechanics was claiming that the 2001 Avalon was growing by almost a foot and that is patently untrue.

If you live in the Washington DC area, stop by and I'll give you a brochure. Otherwise, call 800-GO TOYOTA and they can send you one.
  • blkccblkcc Member Posts: 3
    Cliffy1...
    I'm dying to know what the changes are for the SR5 with the sport package. I'm in Hawaii and won't be able to get my hands on a brochure any time soon! Would you please list the changes...if the list is not too long!!!

Thanks!
    We got our first one in today. I didn't see anything major other than the 4WD system. The SR5 now has the multi-mode 4WD with VSC and traction control. The interior cloth changed a bit but only in pattern. The 4 cylinder and the manual transmission are gone.
  • prerunner2prerunner2 Member Posts: 2
    Cliffy,

Questions about the SR5 model:

Is the 183 hp v6 still standard?
    I'm guessing there wasn't a power increase.
    Are the options packages different this year?
    Does the SR5 still have chrome bumpers and the same alloy wheels?
    Still has the 183 HP engine. Option packages are the same although we will be getting some without the moonroof this year. The interior is a little different. The alloys are slightly changed but I didn't notice until another salesmen pointed it out to me. The tail lights are more of a jeweled look.
  • bart53bart53 Member Posts: 1
    I almost purchased a 2000 SR5 but couldn't find one with a diff lock in the NY area! And they did not offer a posi-rear. I decided to wait for the 2001 and now see they offer traction control on all 4 wheels? How does this compare to a diff lock, and/or a limited slip diff?? I'm looking for superior traction for towing a snowmobile trailer in Upper Maine and Canada sometimes on unplowed roads. Anyone with the technical scoop would be grately appreciated.
    I just posted an explanation of the Land Cruiser 4WD system on topic number 2929. Go read it. the 2001 4Runner is the same with only one difference. The Runner has the option of operating in the 2 wheel drive mode. This is an awesome new system and if far superior to the locker or posi-traction.
  • tazwell66tazwell66 Member Posts: 1
    Real Funny! (COVO and Cillfy)
    TOOK MY LIMITED TO TYSONS TOYOTA TO REPAIR THE FAULTY GAS TANK AND GAUGE. 1ST, THEY SAID THEY NEVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM; NEXT, THEY CLAIMED IT'S NOT THEIR ISSUE SINCE NO REACALL HAS BEEN ORDERED. I REMINDED THEM RECALL OR NOT, THIS DEFECT GOTTA B FIXED UNDER WARANTY. THEY BEHAVED.

NOW, THEY'VE ASKED ME TO PROVIDE THEM WITH A PRINTOUT OF ALL THESE POSTINGS AMONG US, SO THEY CAN TELL WAHT'S GOING ON!!! THEY CLAIM IT'S ONLY A WARNING LIGHT ISSUE; WE ALL KNOW IT TO BE DIFFERENT. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS WORLD. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN LOYAL TO TOYOTAS, BUT SURE AS HELL EXPECTED BETTER FROM MINE, ESPECIALLY 36Ks LATER! 8-)
    I will be on vacation for the next week and a half. I may be checking in from time to time but I don't know how often. I don't want any of you to think I am ignoring your questions.

See ya'll when I get back on the 26th.
  • chorizograndechorizogrande Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know if the '01 4Runners have the option of a manual Transmission?
  • chorizograndechorizogrande Member Posts: 2
    What's been your experience, in terms of power and mileage?
  • humpdhumpd Member Posts: 2
    Check out posts 267 and greater for a thread on TRD SC in topic 1745. As for 2001 MT offerings...why not? Pretty safe bet that there will be some 5speeds offered.
  • spoonersspooners Member Posts: 5
    There's no manual this year, nor is there a locking diff. However, it's no longer needed with traction control at all 4 wheels.
  • hermesnthermesnt Member Posts: 5
    I am very interested in gathering some info on the 2001 4Runner.

From what I have gathered, the changes this year seem to be mainly cosmetic, does that sound about right? I like the sounds of this new transmission, but unsure of its reliability as it is new? I heard it is the same as used in the LandCruiser; same exact transmission or same technology? How long has that been used in the LandCruiser? Any Major Problems?

The other concern I have is the introduction of the Highlander (not the 4Runner Sport/Highlander - but the car based SUV). I understand that it is to be placed between the 4Runner and the Sequoia, is that true? If that is the case, what is to happen to the 4Runner next year with the redesign? Is it going to be demoted in the food chain? Set to compete with the Nissan Xterra (pretty close dimensional comparisons)? The concern is shelling out around 30K and seeing that investment drop next year?
    I forgot the .com at the end of the e-mail address.
    Are you sure your Runner came with the 225 tires from the factory? That was the standard equipment tire but most were shipped with the optional 31x10.5 tires and the higher gear ratio (4.1 if I remember correctly).

I really don't know about the cost of replacing the gears but check to see what it came with before spending the money. If you can't find out what it was shipped with, send your VIN to me by e-mail at sclifford@alexandriatoyota and I will look it up.
    It is not actually the transmission that has changed. It is the 4 wheel
    drive system. Believe it or not, the new system is quite simple. Open
    differentials have been around for decades and are pretty much bullet proof,
    unlike limited slip differentials which are prone to failure. The same is
    true of traction control computers. They are use the same premise as ABS
    systems. What is new is the mating of these two systems to increase
    traction and stability.

As to the future of the Runner, I can't really say. The Runner will do a
    lot of things that the Highlander can't. For off roading and towing, the
    Runner is the clear choice. The Highlander is more of an "urban assault
    vehicle" and will fill the needs of the typical soccer mom much better than
    a genuine truck like the Runner.
  • horsepowerhorsepower Member Posts: 1
    From my research, the 01 Highlander is being placed between the RAV4 and the 4Runner. I haven't heard anything about the 02 redesign of the 4Runner. Does anyone know if new powertrains will be introduced in 02? Thanks...HP
  • merlinemerline Member Posts: 1
    What is the story with dropping the manual
    transmission? Are they nuts? Been waiting forever for the 2001 models, now only to find
    they have really messed up. I guess they are trying to turn the 4runner into another expensive grocery-getter, like most of the others on the market.

- disgusted
    There have been rumors for months about the lack of a manual transmission and info was posted on this board about 2 months ago warning of this. While I have not heard an explanation from Toyota about this, I have a suspicion that emissions has more to do with this decision than anything else. With the current regulations, it is difficult for a total product line to meet current standards with a manual transmission. This is because with the automatic, the transmission computer tells the engine computer when it is shifting and ignition is retarded, thus reducing emissions. This can't happen on a manual.

Again, this is speculation on my part but it is educated speculation. Toyota is very proud to still have a truck based SUV and plans on keeping the Runner around even after the Highlander comes out in February. Now that vehicle is a real suburban assault vehicle.

You may want to check to see if anybody has a manual 2000 left in stock. Most stores are just about out of them and it may take work to get one. Don't wait any longer if you insist on the manual.
  • bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    I own a '01 Pathfinder SE w/ 5spd and love it. I watch this forum as well because I think that the 4runner is an awesome vehicle too. I just wanted the 250 hp V6 for the mountains and liked the interior and price better.

If it's true that Toyota is dropping the 5-speed from the line-up, that would be a real shame. I guess they want to cater more to the same crowd that drives Ford Explorers. Too bad!!
  • lexbenzlexbenz Member Posts: 3
    when is the sequioa due and does anyone know prices?
  • gkakatsakisgkakatsakis Member Posts: 1
    Below is my original post. Toyota has fixed my fuel tank and gauge problem at no charge. It took quite a while for the dealer to receive the parts. They took the tank out, replaced a sending unit and some sort of pressure release tube. The labor was $180, but was free. The parts were free. The problem is fixed and it only took 1 day. I can fill the tank to over 18 gallons, the gauge works well and the low fuel light turns on when it should. Toyota fixed the problem and I am happy! Call your dealer.

------------------------------------------------

#526 of 563: 4Runner fuel gauge problem (george_kay) Tue 22 Aug '00 (08:41 AM)

I have the fuel gauge problem on my 2000 4Runner
    as described in post #431. I called the dealer and
    they admitted there was a problem, a fix and that
    they had "updated" many 4Runners. They told me it
    was one of 2 problems:

- Sending unit in the tank - requires tank removal
    and is usually the problem with 2000s

- Replacement of gauge - requires sending odometer
    to Toyota for calibration/replacement and is
    usually the problem with 1999s

Both are done under warranty for free and they
    will provide me with a free loaner car. I wish
    they had told me about this before I purchased the
    truck, but at least it will be fixed for free.
    I will post info after I get my sending unit fixed
    next week, if people are interested.
  • joecarojoecaro Member Posts: 44
    I have followed your fuel gauge issue with interest. When I saw your last post I called severa southern calif. dealers. Only one had heard that Toyota was sending parts and was going to cover the fix, but didn't know when. The rest didn't know anything about it.
    Do you have any specific reference I could use so these guys don't shine me on? I'd really appreciate it.
  • dgrovedgrove Member Posts: 1
    I am have a similar problem with my 2000 4Runner and the fuel gauge. Even when I run gas down toward "E" and the low fuel light comes on, I can only get 12.5 gallons of gas in the tank. What happen to my 18.1 gallon fuel tank?? I am going back to the dealer on Monday to have it checked. Will keep you updated.
  • akassabovakassabov Member Posts: 1
    I finally got Toyota to tell me that there is a TSB dealing with this problem. My dealer was supposed to get a copy of the bulletin and then order necessary parts. I think I've been waiting for about 1.5 months now. Is that how long it took your dealer to get them in?
  • savana19savana19 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1990 4 Runner I've had for about a year.
    At first I was getting 15-16 MPG, now I've been getting 12-13 MPG !! It's killing me-I hate it. I can only drive 185 miles on a 14 gallon tank.
    About 6 months ago, the dist. cap, wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc. was changed. Also, it is an automatic and 4 WD. What could be the problem or is this the norm that everyone else is getting?? Would also love to hear from 2 WD 4 Runner owners to see what MPG you are getting. Really curious!! Would love to hear from you!! Thanks. Savana
  • hermesnthermesnt Member Posts: 5
    I thought I would add a little humor to list. I was looking around the lot at one of the large dealers in the Wash. DC area and over heard a salesperson eagerly trying to make a point about the 2001 4Runners. He stated that the new 4Runners will actually appreciate (yes, he did say appreciate) in value when you drive them off the lot. He cited the Wall Street Journal or some other financial publication. If that's true, I guess I'll pick up a dozen :)
  • newgradnewgrad Member Posts: 25
    Hello...Does anyone have a 2000 4Runner (or earlier) with Bridgestone Dueler H/T Tires (P265 70R16)? These tires would be part of the Sport Package. Anyways, I was reading an article in my local newspaper and it stated that Toyota had found "small cracks" in these exact model of tires which they were placing on new Tundras and Sequoias...I called Toyota and they said I shouldn't be concerned because this only affects those other vehicles...still with everything that has been going on with Bridgestone and Firestone, it has me worried. What should I do?

Thanks...
    Your mileage seems awfully low. My 1999 4wd and automatic easily gets 20 mpg average. The lowest I got was 19 with all in town drivng in LA. The best was 23 with mostly highway, maybe a third city miles.
    Lucky you!!! I wish I got even close to that-- I'd be happy. Do you have a 14 gallon tank?? How many total miles can you do on a full tank???
    Would love to hear back from you.

Savana
  • iv2000iv2000 Member Posts: 6
    I've been looking for some time at getting a 4Runner. I almost bough a '00 a couple of months ago but then I heard the '01 would be coming out soon so I waited. I too wanted a manual and of course you can't get that in the 01. I heard about the incoming Highlander, and in reading these posts, I have the feeling that will be more up my alley (yes, I'm a "soccer mom"). Does anyone have any more info on the specifics of the Highlander, price for one? Is there a picture or something of what it will look like? I understand from the posts it's expected to make it's debut in February 01. I'm willing to wait for the Highlander if I feel it will better suit my needs, but if it doesn't I'll go for the 004Runner now. Thanks.
    You have a 14 gallon tank? I've been wrong once or twice before in my life but I'm nearly positive that we have had an 18.5 gallon tank since '90. How are you arriving at your gas mileage figures? I know this sounds basic but there are many people who don't know how to do this. They take their total miles between fill ups and divide by their tank size. They of course end up reporting very low mileage figures.

Your truck is 10 years old and while your mileage seems a bit low, it is not completely out of hand.
    DO YOU WORK FOR tOYOTA OR ARE YOU JUST AN AVID Toyota lover?? I am positive that I have a 14 gallon tank. It states that in the manual with the stats and most often when I am very close to empty and fillup, it is always between 13 and 14 gallons. I am figuring right from the previous fill-up and God forbid that I would have an 18 gallon tank, because that would mean i was even getting worse mileage than I am NOW!!!!!
    I wonder if they increased the size of the tank another year?? That would have been a smart move, because it is much too small for a gas guzzler like this. I feel like I am always visiting the gas station!! Do you get good mileage?? Do you think I should check out the oxygen sensor. I know that can affect mileage alot sometimes. Even though I am a woman, cars do interest me and I have learned alot from asking questions and knowing how to do some things on my car myself. Very helpful!! Any other info you could give me would be appreciated.

SAVANA
    I think it's NHTSA.gov>
    Service Bulletin Number: EL01099
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 100
    Date of Bulletin: 9912
    NHTSA Item Number: SB610059
    Make: TOYOTA TRUCK
    Model: 4 RUNNER
    Year: 1999
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR:GAS
    Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING FUEL GAUGE HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION PROCEDURE. *TT

Holy cow! It worked. I cut and pasted this fron the NHTSA site
  • tilertiler Member Posts: 15
    For more info on the Highlander go to Toyota web site. In the site search box type in Highlander. With this being a new suv like the Sequoia, you might not find out prices before you you see it on dealer lots. The site mentions an auto trans but no manual. Not saying it will not come with manual but look at the 01 4 Runner. The Sequoia is expected to sell at msrp. Don't know if this will be the same with the Highlander. A local dealer here is selling all 00 Toyota's at 1500 below invoice.
    i THINK THE FUEL GAUGE INFO WAS FOR SOMEONE ELSE,
    BUT i SWEAR TO YOU I AM NEVER A LEADFOOT AND I COAST TO RED LIGHTS. i CAN UNDERSTAND YOU GETTING GOOD MILEAGE ON THE OLDER TOYOTA BEING A 4CYL. AND BEING A STICK SHIFT. dO YOU THINK THE TIRE SIZE MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. i HAVE SIZE 30-10.5. LET ME KNOW, OK.

sAVANA
    A couple of things here. First, I am a salesman. I do the Internet sales at Alexandria Toyota in Virginia.

When I began in sales in '94, the fuel tank capacity was 18 gallons. It would shock me if there was a change in this between '90 and '95. The only changes were cosmetic (such as the location of the spare) between those years.

I talked to my shop guys and much to my surprise, we have nothing in writing on the fuel tank size that anybody can find. It was suggested that you give me your VIN (its a 17 digit number on your registration starting with JT) and I can look it up on our TDN computer. This may or may not help but if you e-mail me at sclifford@alexandriatoyota.com, I'll see what I can find.

Finally, how would having an 18 gallon tank mean your mileage is any worse?
  • iv2000iv2000 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot for the info. Checked out the site and saw what the Highlander will look like, I like it! I would like to know what price range we'll be looking at though. Because if it's going to be too much out of my price range I won't even bother. Now I'm caught in a dilemma: Do I wait for the new Highlander? Do I get a 2000 4 Runner now? or do I go for the 2001 4 Runner? Again, if the price of the Highlander is going to be any more than 5k compared to the 4Runner I'll look to getting a 4Runner now. Suggestions are welcomed.
    Thanks for offering to help. I will e-mail you with the vin #. As far as the reason I would be getting worse mileage on an 18 gallon tank is because if I were only able to drive 185 miles on an 18 gallon tank, I would be getting approx. 10 mpg and as it is now, I am getting 12-14 mpg. Makes sense!!?? Boy, you have really got me baffled about only having a 14 gallon tank. I will e-mail you.

Thanks so much,

Savana
  • tilertiler Member Posts: 15
    I have read somewhere that the Highlander will be priced between the RAV4 and the 4Runner. You might find more info in topic #2595 Toyota Highlander SUV.