Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    is DVD based and includes a single cd player.

world_traveler; Should we start calling the 4runner the Runny?

; )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is no option for leather seats on the SR5 or Sport. I suspect this will change in the future but not for the 2003 MY.
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    A friend who works for Lexus received his 2003 GX470 today. I'm going to check it out.
  • Options
    mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    I offer this for any newcomers to the board. If you don't have the time to put everything together on the new '03 4Runners from the photos, links to spec sheets, and inventory lists due to hit the Central Atlantic Region (based on Cliffy's advance information), here it is for you (for better or worse . . .) if you are curious as to what we will have available to actually buy in this region on the lots (only considering 4WDs):

[Of course, we all know only V8 4WD Limiteds will be available at first, with other models/V6s coming 90 days later (~January). The focus below is on major appearance differences and options substantially affecting same. Also, if I have missed an option or two or assumed something that is not true, please correct.]

SR5:

- Two-tone paint jobs only; main color on body, with gray metallic bumpers, fender flares, body cladding, and license plate garnish [not sure what color grille and door handles will be; probably gray as well].
    - Black Running Boards [required option; installed at factory].
    - Black Roof Rack [required option; installed at factory].
    - Color-Keyed rear spoiler [required option; installed at factory].
    - 16" wheels [per TVO listing, nothing is coming equipped with 17" wheel option].
    - Sunroof option available on some models.
    - no X-REAS Suspension or Leather Package available.

Sport Edition:

- Two-tone paint jobs only; main color on body and non-functional hood scoop, with gray metallic bumpers, fender flares, and body cladding.
    - Silver painted grille, door handles, and rear license plate "garnish" (my favorite feature! ;>)
    - Black Running Boards [required option; installed at factory] [N.B.: Matching silver running boards are not available option.].
    - Silver Roof Rack [required option; installed at factory].
    - Color-Keyed Heated Power Outside Mirrors [required option; installed at factory].
    - 17" Wheels [standard per Sport package].
    - Sunroof [required option; installed at factory].
    - X-REAS Suspension [standard per Sport package].
    - Fog Lamps [standard per Sport package].
    - Higher-quality Seat Fabric [standard per Sport package].
    - No Leather Package available.

Limited:

- Semi-monochromatic paint jobs only (with the exception of silver and gold exterior colors); main color on body, cladding, grille, door handles, rear license plate garnish, fender flares, power outside heated mirrors, and portions of the front and rear bumpers (see caveat for silver and gold exterior colors).
    - Silver painted bumper "accents/stripes" [with the exception of silver and gold exterior colors, where they will appear monochromatic]
    - Silver Illuminated Running Boards [required option; installed at factory] [N.B.: Matching gold running boards are not available for gold exterior color.].
    - Silver Roof Rack [required option; installed at factory] [N.B.: Matching gold roof racks are not available for gold exterior color.].
    - 17" Wheels [standard per Limited trim].
    - Sunroof [required option; installed at factory].
    - Fog Lamps [standard per Limited trim].
    - Daytime Running Lights [required option; installed at factory].
    - Leather power seats and interior [standard per Limited trim].
    - No X-REAS Suspension option available without 3-6 month factory order.
    - ?No Air Suspension available option available without 3-6 month factory order?

Wow, you really can see some of the hits and misses when you lay it all out here, e.g., only 16" wheels on all the SR5s, minivan rear spoilers on ALL the base SR5 AND Sport Editions (. . . like Intmed99 will need the aerodynamics of that when he goes boulder bashing). Also, for better or worse, Toyota really strived to distinguish each trim level as individual through its factory installed options, etc.

So, some real disappointments here (couldn't have easily got that X-REAS on my Black Limited anyway), but this is to be expected in the first year of a new run. Although the brochures may seem great, especially with these misleading build-your-own websites around, the descriptions above are the real choices. Like the 3rd Gen, as the years go by, more of these options will be available on the lower models. For example, leather seats, 17" wheels, monochrome coloring, 3rd-row seats (for those who seem to really want it - not me, at least not yet) . . . all of this will become more readily available when shipped. Look at the last year of the 3rd Gen and there was little difference (other than paint job) between the way Toyota was equipping the SR5s (leather package, 17" wheels, etc.) and the Limiteds.

I think I am going to wait a few years for my dream Runner (which I WILL get someday, I owe that to myself) and pick up something else in the meantime for the next 5 to 7 years.
  • Options
    intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The upcoming Lexus GX470. If i were you, i would seriously consider the GX470. It has features (more off-road-oriented) that the 4Runner does not (handbrake & true transfer case lever). I still do not understand the ground clearance difference between it and 4Runner.

With GX, you also get the beautiful wood, the excellent Mark Levinson system, and ALL-AUTO windows. Just a thought
  • Options
    world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    "I think I am going to wait a few years for my dream Runner (which I WILL get someday, I owe that to myself) and pick up something else in the meantime for the next 5 to 7 years."

That's what I'm preparing to do.

Either

a Pilot EX 2003 black
    or
    a Pathfinder 2003 LE "pewter"
  • Options
    I swear, y'all need to wait about a week longer before making up your minds. You may be pleasantly surprised. The looks might grow on you quickly and the price may not be as bad as some of you think. There is VERY little time until we have these things here.

FYI, our district representative will be here on Wednesday morning (I think it is morning) with one for us to look over. That is only one day before they are released anyway, but if any of you are in the DC area, drop by for a look.
  • Options
    4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    I think I'd wait and assess the 4runner V8 vs V6. The styling of the Pathfinder is "yesterday's" 2000-2001 topic, and the Pilot (or large CR-V) styling, well...no comment.

You guys should just be demoted and sent to the Pilot/Pathfinder posts.
  • Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Take a look at the VW Touareg. It's a little bland in looks, but it tends to grow on you. The 4wd system is state of the art, with lockers. It's not due here until June of next year, so that doesn't help those who need something now. It will be available with a 220hp V6, and hopefully a 330hp V10, twin turbo diesel, with 500+ lb/ft of torque at 1800 RPM!! Trouble is, it will be expensive - starting at around 35K for the V6, and who knows for the monster motor.
  • Options
    Intmed99: great idea on the GX!; I went through that last night (all night) to only conclude it is out of reach. :( Love the beefy look; so does the wife. It is beautiful. But 50K (is what it will end up being) is too much even with us DINKsters ("double income, no kids") - the student loans and mortgage come a calling. But yes, that is by far the superior choice. I'm not thrilled about the Lexus status image that all my neighbors seem to love, but I'd do it nevertheless and have fun scratchin' the hell out of it. With price, plus when I found out that I would have to give up the electric window for my pooch, I settled in for painful trip to my destiny: the Nissan board.

Cliffy: I am test driving LE again this weekend (with wife this time) and hopefully buying an '02 or '03 the next weekend before our big road trip South on the 17th . . . when they arrive, just shoot us a post here on the board and I will give it an in person look if I can get away from work. I love the new interior and engine choices, but so many photos, so many angles, so many chrome accents . . . I don't think there is any hope with how Japan set these up on the outside. [But, I am supposed to be patient and optomistic right????]

4Runnerpilot: Agreed. Pathfinder restyled in 2001 with no dramatic changes on the outside. Old news all the way. 4Runner said that's not a good approach, we can show the market one better and give it the look it really "wants." Yes, like you, I am waiting to assess the V8/V6 situation . . . just probably 5-7 more years longer than you.
  • Options
    I admit that the Pilot styling is bland, but the truck is very functional (large cargo and lots of room)

I agree that the Pathfinder styling is old but the 2003 LE is classy with its 17" wheels. Despite the fact that it will be ugraded next year I'm sure the current styling will be nice for a while (like the 3rd gen style). There will always be people to like this type of style.

Now lets talk about the 4th gen styling. Yeah if your into Santa Fe/Tribute type of styling or if like your car to blend with the rest, if you like to have people think your a driving a GM Trailblazer, if you have stocks invested in the plastic industry, if you don't mind having a 30k SUV with the looks of an entry-level SUV than you will have a very nice new SUV.

Obviously the look will grow, people adapt. But I think it will take a couple of revisions before they get it right (e.g. I much prefer the 4Runner 99 nose than the 98 flat nose.)

Like mjohnr99 I think I'll wait for a revision or two before making a move.

One mistak I've made that mjohnr99 did not make: mention what I would buy instead. I do not want to turn this discussion a brand bashing. I'll buy what I think is best for me no matter what people say anyway....

I'm sorry to be harsh and negative but you guys cannot imagine how, in fact, I'm disapointed of how turned things have turned. I wished I could afford a Limited, the color-keyed bumbers don't fix everything about the styling but they help a bit. A bummer: the GX470 won't be available in Canada. It is very very nice (but probably more expensive than the Limited anyway)
  • Options
    I did not read your last post mjohnr99. You will also try a 03 Pathfinder !!!! Very nice when fully loaded.

Mind having a beer in the Nissan forum bar ????
  • Options
    . . . but this has really been a huge leap here from TRD superchargers and such on the 3rd Gen Sport . . . so give me a week to sort through (doing my research now on '02 vs.'03s SuperBlacks - getting better as I read reviews), and I probably will see you over there for a double martini . . . make that a triple . . .

[I am also considering buying a used pickup to wait yet ANOTHER year until the '04s . . . aargh! . . . but hey, in the meantime, I wouldn't have to sell and TTWO should hit 40 by then!]

Peace out.
  • Options
    tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    I was also concerned about the seats in the '03, because I feel the 3rd gen's are too low also, and I'm 6'1". The Limited I sat in was perfect, and the seat still had room to go up! These front and rear seats are much better than the 3rd gen seats.
  • Options
    tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    I don't know what all the squawking is about when not everyone has even seen this in person yet. I'm very impressed with this truck, and think the cladding looks great in reality, except on the silver Sport Edition. I actually welcome the cladding so I don't have to worry as much off-road.

I do wish they came in a black to match the metal when I get one in black, but unfortunately they're all the same charcoal color with metallic flakes. I am curious about the changes Toyota will make for the 2004s, and hope they add the X-REAS as an option on the SR5, since I don't like the silver accents or wheels on the Sport Edition. I wouldn't mind if they improved the look of the cladding, though, by at least offering it in black or matching it to each body color.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Nissan uses same engine??? Umm lemme see about toyota??? Oh the new 4runner looks like sequoia! Is that really new design? Looks like toyota is getting worst and worst with their design. i think they need to hire someone from nissan so that they can be able to build better looking vechile, not a copy version that already exits.
    Let's compare...HP

2003 4runner-------> 245 V6
    2003 pathfinder----> 240(auto) 250(manual)

2003 4runner-------> 235 V8
    2004 Pathfinder-----> 300+V8
  • Options
    Lucky you TBcreative to have seen those in person. It is strange to see that the cladding does not bother you anymore....

Doesn't the cladding look huge in person ?

In a way I don't mind that the cladding/fender is huge, my only beef is that it does not come color-keyed with the rest of the vehicle (unless you buy an exensive Limited). Making things worst is that instead of choosing nice color combinations they picked variations of charcoal..., from a distance I'm sure it looks like unpainted plastic.

I think it makes the car look like you've picked the entry model and was to scrooge to buy the 1000$ option of having the cladding painted.....

Sport model: TBcreative you are making me freak even more: in your posts you mention that the worst model is the Silver Sports. Ouch, from the pics I thought that was the "least bad" combination and this is what I have a deposit at my dealer for. Now I really wonder what color I would pick. Sometimes I think that some spirit/ghost is trying to keep me away from this vehicle.
  • Options
    Ok, what the hell!! 2004 Pathfinder?? Talk to me when it ACTUALLY comes! Geez.... It is likely going to phased out by the cross-over crap.

Yeah, the '03 4Runner has 245 HP AND 283 TORQUE. What does your '03 Pathfinder have?? Geez again!

So what if the '03 4Runner looks similar to Sequoia...it has a DIFFERENT frame!

All of Nissan and Infiniti V6 vehicles use the SAME freaking engine...just different tuning here and there. Geez, how many variation can you have with one 3.5L V6?? Nissan is out to break a record i am sure! AND this 3.5L V6 is the same engine as the old 3.0L V6 (for more than a decade) but just blown bigger.

Bottom line: why do you think the '03 Pathfinder costs LESS than a '02 3rd gen 4Runner??? Hint: it is not because Nissan is overly generous.
  • Options
    The GX470 has a base price of around $45K, which is the likely price for a fully-loaded 4Runner Ltd 4x4. However, the GX has a lot of standard features for $45K. It is high...but you do get most of what you get in a 4Runner Limited.
  • Options
    First of all, no one respond to that first Path. vs. 4Run. post - there are other (or new) boards where that sort of head-to-head, option-to-otion debate can take place. It's a waste of time. I have refrained from that, and only mention the Pathfinder as a less desirable, second choice possibility (among others: Explorer, etc.) that I will probably end up buying (90% sure now) next weekend (after that triple martini . . .)

But, TB - you seem to be going forward despite your reservations in Post 3118 about appearance/SR5 options. These are almost the same gripes I have, e.g., the cladding not matching the black body, etc. Given price, I guess the model for me would have originally been the Sport (to get the X-REAS, 17" wheels, etc.) - but, with a two-tone paint to begin and the non-functional hood scoop (that I was hoping would be functional this year or removed), I could not then handle all the silver accents everywhere and agree that the rims don't look as good as the SR5. I then said screw-it, I'll sell everything I own and pay the 39K and get the all Black Limited . . . only to confirm from recent spec sheets that it was not the Black look of my dreams . . . the very first blue rear spy-shot that set a riot on all the boards was NOT a prototype . . . the spoiler and the skunk-stripes on the Limited were the real deal, plus silver boards and racks to match. So, last week, we settled on the base SR5, keep our stock, save $$, figuring the only negative was the cladding which could grow on us. The racks and boards would be black, no garnishes or stripes anywhere, new V6 engine - all for a better value than what I would have had to pay for a supercharged 3rd Gen . . . we were almost good to go!

But, then Cliffy just confirmed the worst: not only are they limiting the inventory to 16" wheels (probably only this year, to help individualize the ugly sport), they are putting on a spoiler???????? and doing it in Japan!!! On the base model???? Of course, first year out they want the same look on the streets to help the vehicle launch branding of all the trim levels, plus tie it in with the Highlander and Sequoia . . . but come on TOYOTA . . . this was the mighty 4RUNNER!!!! We don't want to look like that Station Utility Vehicle/Car or SoccerDad Truck (at least not yet, the Sequoia without the spoiler is an awesome giant Beast of a Runner!)

So TB, how are you getting over this? You are a better loyalist than me. Have you read the reviews of the Sequoia debut? They all were great except for one aspect: the spoiler. I think one review caled it "hideous" and another called it "a rhinoplasty gone bad." So, why do it to EVERY trim level Runner? Cliffy, I don't know how that look could ever grow on anyone in the 4Runner's target market? Why could it not have been a port install?? A 4 month factory order (with no guarantees . . . you know how those go) is a non-starter.

Maybe, I just need to accept this new look and start blending in with the rest of the pseudo-SUVs on the market . . . help me out TB . . . tell me something that you saw in person that I did not see in that first spyshot and every other one to date. [The 3rd Gen guys over on all the other 4x4 forums are really bustin' up over this design cue and have all agreed to wait a few years . . .]
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    Is available in southeast region only if it doesn't have side and curtain airbags. The Sport can have either perforated suede or regular leather while the SR5 is only available in regular leather.

Other options:
    Borla Performance exhaust
    DVD
    Lighted color keyed running boards
    tubular running boards
    Enkei Alloy wheels
    electrochromic mirror with compass
    etc.
  • Options
    Do any of you know the reason for a spoiler on an SUV? It is actually functional in most cases. With a big, boxy rear end, you normally get a wind eddy from underneath the vehicle that blows dust and exhaust back up onto the rear window. If the rear window is down (for the dog), this comes right into your cargo area. The spoiler creates a wind shear along the back, thus preventing much of the dust from reaching the back window.

I personally like the look. Looks are a subjective issue. The fact is though, it is functional, especially for off-roaders and those who like to keep the back window open while driving.
  • Options
    Yes, you can get leather in the Southeast region. Then again, any dealership in the country can add aftermarket leather as well. Its the same thing.
  • Options
    iceman50iceman50 Member Posts: 20
    Are the leather seats that are available on the SR5 and Sport Editions, the same seats that are in the Limited. That is, are they the powered/heated driver and passenger seats?
  • Options
    NO. Sbell pointed out that in the Southeast Region, they will have leather available on any vehicle without side air bags. The Southeast Region (SET) is not owned by Toyota and they add things at the port that are not genuine Toyota equipment. The same thing can be done in any part of the country, but it would be the dealer arranging the installation after it arrives, not before like in SET. When this is done, the existing seat covers are replaced with leather. It does not replace the seat, only the seat cover.
  • Options
    completely agree . . . focus has been mainly on style (but your right - subjective). IMO, why the rhinoplasty job? The old rear-wind deflector looked like something that should go on a sport utility truck. Looked good. New style does not continue that tradition, and seems to take its design cue from the minivan parked across my street. I'd rather have a dusty dog than that contraption - purely subjective though.

TB, you've seen it, you like the look along with Cliffy? [I may have wierd tastes I guess . . .]
  • Options
    larrythelionlarrythelion Member Posts: 1
    Cliffy,
    "Then again, any dealership in the country can add aftermarket leather as well. Its the same thing."

When I purchased my 2000 Camry, the dealer told me the aftermarket leather option was the same as the Toyota option. Not true! Much to my dismay, upon delivery, I discovered that the aftermarket option did not have steering wheel and shifter leather covering, both of which were included in the Toyota option.
  • Options
    That is absolutely correct. When the dealership (or port) adds leather, they are only talking about the seat covers and (sometimes) the door panel inserts. Further, it is NOT the exact same stuff as from the factory. In some cases, the leather may be of a higher grade than the factory and rarely is it of inferior quality.
  • Options
    pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    as well as toyota uses same engines? just think about that. oops i guess 4runner is always 1 step behind pathfinder. Toyota was critcizing about pathifinders aluminium engine blocks, but looks like now 4runner is going for it. Every corner, every turn, anywhere you go 4runner..don't you guys get tired of that.

Bottom line: 4runner charges more money because they know people can be fooled easily.
  • Options
    I wonder why 4Runner is everywhere...maybe because it is such a great vehicle. It cost that much because it is made THAT well! Go look under your pathfinder and compare it with a 3rd gen 4runner. 4Runner has much stronger running gears and suspension components.
  • Options
    . . . better to just ignore.
  • Options
    jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I went to the dealership with my 98 4Runner Limited for an oil change an while I was there, I saw a couple 2003 4Runners. The salesman let get inside of one of them and I love it. So I decided to get a new loaded to the max 2003 black 4Runner Limited. the salesman let me have the truck for $35,500. I was thinking about trading in my old 4Runner but as much as I drive, i need a second car to keep the mileage down. Now I'm just waiting until the truck comes, which could be anyday now.
  • Options
    $35500 for a loaded Limited? Holy cow! We haven't seen pricing yet, but some dealers are getting a look at them when the district managers come by. I was hoping our guy would be here for training before they arrived but that 'aint gonna happen. I'm VERY happy to hear that report on pricing.
  • Options
    I was hoping to get a black Limited, but I thought it was going to be too expensive, so I was going to settle for the "cladded" Sport. This pricing for a loaded Limited is amazing, with the V-8 and everything else it has on it. When you say that it was "loaded" what additional options did you get? Navigation, sunroof, air suspension?
  • Options
    bhajhamabhajhama Member Posts: 2
    jcat:
    2003 4Runner Limited for 35k is one heck of a buy. It's incredible! All information I got so far lists 3Runner base at 26k for SR5 and 37k for Limited. Are you getting the V6 or V8?

Everyone:
    Has anyone seen numbers like jcat's?
  • Options
    Is that price for a 4WD or 2WD? If that is MSRP on a 4WD Limited, I may just buy one myself! My next purchase is (was) going to be a new Tundra Limited but at only $2000 more money, I may have to sacrifice having a bed. I wonder how the Limited would look with a deer carcass strapped to the back.
  • Options
    Is the dealer installed aftermarket leather still under the Toyota warranty?
  • Options
    No, and neither is the stuff added by SET. The SET leather is covered by SET, but not Toyota. Aftermarket leather usually has its own warranty with is generally 3 years with no mileage limits.
  • Options
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    Cliffy,

The pricing on the Limited almost seems too good to be true. I just hope "jcat" is not a reincarnation of "buzzlight"
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jcat707, some people were "skunked" in here before with fake info posted to incite everyone. So don't take the disbelief personally (unless you're trolling, in which case we'll wrap an anchor chain around your ankle, LOL).

(like all the personalized fishing references, Cliffy? )

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    jcat,

I am apologizing in advance if my previous comment is untrue. Do not take it personally.
  • Options
    Let us know the price AFTER you sign the papers.
  • Options
    You always get me on Saturdays with those references!

Believe it or not, I actually think he could be correct. I spoke to a guy who was at the dealer meeting last month where they claimed that an SR5, V8 4WD with proper equipment could be had under $30K. I remain skeptical of that but if that assertion is true, then $35,500 could be real for the Limited. We have less than one week to know for sure.
  • Options
    jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I've been buying Toyotas from that dealership for a long time. I bought 3 Camrys, 1 Celica, 1 Highlander, and soon to be 2 4Runners. I take my Toyotas there for every oil change, recall, and repair. I know just about everybody in the dealership including the owner. Anybody that I know shopping for a car, I refer them to my Toyota dealership. I didn't mean to start a big fuss, I just wanted to show that even though the Limited prices may be $40-45K, you can get it down to about $35-40K at some places.
  • Options
    hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    Here's a site that has serious modifications on toyota SUVs. Lots of Prado/GX470 mods

http://www.arctictrucks.com/template2.asp?PageID=95

• Options
    olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    Posted by Cliffy......"I wonder how the Limited would look with a deer carcass strapped to the back".....? Answer - not very "PC".
  • Options
    $39+K no way! (I'll wait) . . . buttttttttttt if $35.5K even, yes way!!! . . . if truly "loaded" (V8, 4WD, air suspension, X-REAS, etc.) at that amazing $35.5K! price, I'll get back my deposit just placed today on the three-martini, desperate choice of last resort [i.e., a loaded 2003 PF LE ($31,100 before T/T/T, 0% over 3)] and I WILL find a way to get over the stripes and spoiler real quick . . . I smell a buzzlight . . . but if not, HOORAHHH Toyota!

$35.5K is a terrifically fair price to pay and amazing since the best I could do on the eve of September 30th on a close-out, 258 HP supercharged '02 SR5 was $31,300 (before T/T/T) - a no go.

Toyota, if true, way to go! Anyone who first gets MSRP (because that is what we'll pay in this case) base pricing and option pricing on the new Limiteds, please post ASAP!!!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jcat707, no problem and thanks for the additional details. Don't mind us -- we just dance around a bit when someone gets that great a deal! Congrats.

Cliffy, every time I see your name in a post, my ankle twinges just a little bit :-). Why are you here this weekend anyway? - deer season just opened here.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards