Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    i went to see one at lunch time, silver limited, it looks just the way the pics is. i won't hate it, but like people said i don't even have the excitement to drive drive it after we first met. i was surprised the rear seats head room is so tight. i'm 5"8, my head is touching the top. (i don't have short leg long torso, i'm sure my hair isn't that spiky) is it the same as the old model?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Good News:

• Just about everything. Lot's of very well thought out details.

• It felt very tight, and well built (so what else is new?).

• I like the larger size. It's much closer now to my Explorer.

• It had very good power, and drove beautifully.

• Looks much better in person than in the pictures.

• I like the double-decker rear storage.

• Large cupholders, front and rear, as well as bottle holders in the doors.

• Auto up/down rear hatch window.

• Example I drove was contented just about the way I would order one (might(?) want the opt. 17" wheels, as they look great).

• Front and rear tow hooks, skid plates, full-size spare, 5K trailer hitch/wiring (off-road ready from the get-go!) all standard.

• 16/19 EPA mileage ratings for the V8, 17/20 for the V6.

• Best of all: Under $35K MSRP for V8, 5-speed auto, permanent full-time 4WD, moonroof, alloys, double-decker rear storage, 5K towing, & running boards.

Bad News:

• The windshield wiper control stalk is impossible to see, when I had the steering column adjusted to fit me.

• No vanity mirrors.

• I don't like the power window switches down low on the doors.

• The plug for the trailer hitch is too far under the vehicle for easy access.

• Only 1000 pound trailer limit, if your trailer doesn't have brakes.

• Green cruise control light goes on when you turn the cruise on, not *just* when it is actually engaged.

• Worst of all: a $4K ADM!

Bob
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    What was your impression of room, in the driver's seat, for a tall driver? I''m 6'4", and have a long body, and short legs (32" inseam). The last 4Runner was impossible, particularly with a sunroof, which most have. I've seen comments on this, and other boards, that this edition is not much better. I'm going into town, next week to have a look, but it doesn't look like it's improved much. If they haven't improved the crash rating (the old one was only acceptable in a frontal crash, not Good), then I guess it comes off my list. In spite of the looks, I had high hopes. Guess I'll wait for the VW!
  • foghorn48foghorn48 Member Posts: 65
    Got a chance to check it out in person and take it for a test drive. Pretty much a rocket. Looks great in person, except for the notched fenders. I like the durability/low maintenance of the plastic cladding, but that notched action is garbage. Interior has lots of great features and plenty of room (definite increase in all passenger areas). These improvements came at a slight cost in cargo space. Here's what my tape measure told me (all measurements are at the point of greatest dimension and are my unscientific best attempt):
    2002 53" wide; 36.5" hi; 44" deep; 49" widest point of hatch opening
    2003 57" wide; 36" hi; 36" deep; 51" widest point of hatch opening
    I'm 6'2", 35" inseam. I felt very comfortable in the driver's seat. Had manual seats, but they adjusted in every possible direction. Steering wheel tilted and telescoped. Pretty much custom fit in everyway. Hope that helps.
  • jbhncjbhnc Member Posts: 16
    Well, after watching this board for several months, today was finally the day.

I drove a 03 SR5 4x4 this afternoon. I was very impressed, this will be my next car.

V8 was smooth and powerful, fit and finish was, well, Toyota, plus it was surprisingly quiet. Gray body panels didn't look that bad to me although I am going to get a limited.

One question I have is southeast toyota has this package that includes roadside assistance and 1 free oil change (a $69 value) for the low low price of $699. Really a joke. From your prior experience, is this going to be on all 03's for a while?

If so, any dealers in So. VA want my business :)
    It felt very roomy, but I'm only 5'9". It did have a moonroof too.

Bob
  • airburairbur Member Posts: 31
    Took a 03' Sport out today for the first time. This will be my next vehicle. Interesting that there is no key access on the passenger side door, only on the driver's side. Also, you no longer have to slam the lift gate to close it. You simple let it touch the connectors and it's automated from there. The Sport I drove had an MSRP of just over $35,000 and my dealer said they would be selling them at that price and not under for a while. There were 15 on the lot.

The power is unbelievably available and VERY quiet. I could barely hear it. Felt like I was driving a sports car, just up higher.
  • aufan1aufan1 Member Posts: 21
    I sat in the 2003 runner tonight and fit fine. I am 6'6" with a long torso and had a few inches to spare above my head. No problem with head room here.
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    Toyota updated their website. I checked yesterday and it still had the 2002 4Runner info. Not any more. The website has been updated with the 2003 model info. They must have updated it after the close of business on Thursday. By the way, this is my first post to this forum but I've been following it since early 2002. Here's the link.

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/4runner/
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard and thanks for the input!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I did some surfing and found 2 dealers in the mid-Atlantic region selling the 2003s for $350-$500 below MSRP. Maybe we won't be gouged by the dealers like those who purchased the Sequoia when it was introduced.
    While continuing my surfing, I found another Toyota dealer further south that has 2 2003s, one selling for $1900 below MSRP, and the other selling $2300 below MSRP. I think if we are careful, we may not have to be buying this thing at MSRP or better.
    BTW, the 2 have some nice options.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Dealer had one Silver Limited 4x4 on the Lot.
    4x4 Limited starts at ~$36,000.

This one had the moonroof, the X-EAS shocks,
    a convenience package, side air bags, rear spoiler, and the upgraded JBL system...don't think there are many more options that that.
    Sticker was ~$40,000. Going to drive it Saturday.
    Vehicle is noticeably larger with respect to rear seat leg room and rear cargo area.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    For those who have seen the 2003s, what did you think of the dimpled black texture molding on the outsider of the b-posts? Kinda weird...not sure what Toyota was going for here.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    of a dealer in Maryland or Northern Va, who may have the 2003 4-runner on their lot. I'm dieing to take a detailed look at one.
    There are 2 dealers I know of in Maryland with 2003 4-runners on their lot. I am not sure I can give their name on the Town Hall. Let me knwo your email address and I will forward you the names of the dealers.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealer names are ok. Please don't post contact info or salespeople's names though. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    in Gathersburg MD has 2 listed on their web site, without ADMs!

http://www.fitzgeraldautomall.com/

Bob
    What does that abbreviation stand for?
  • gecklesgeckles Member Posts: 6
    We bought a black sport last night off of the truck as they delivered it. Of course we drove it first and were really impressed with the pep on that Lexus V8. We had a pathfinder and there is no comparision. The 4-runner is quiet, quiet , quiet.... Like the looks, not crazy about the scoop, but that is the only knock I can come up with. Tall? I am tall, no problems behind the wheel. Price I paid 36,900. V8 Sport, moon roof, ALL leather package, CD, yada yada.. GOT to drive one and the looks are great, people are checking it out... Very happy... they have lots of cool gadgetry ... OH get the security upgrade.
    Additonal Dealer Market.

i.e. "profit", sometimes "excessive profit", "what the market will bear", "ripoff", etc., lol. Don't pay it. Unless you have to be first on your block :-)

Congrats Geckles! What was your ADM?

Steve
    Host
  • gecklesgeckles Member Posts: 6
    Steve, Not sure, I would have to ask the husband.... It is a 4X4 also.........
    Sounds nice! Please report back often with your initial impressions.

Steve
    Host
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Both Tyson's and Alexandria's Internet guys E-mailed me yesterday that they have their '03s "on the lot" for inspection. FYI.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Every Toyota dealer in the US has at least one 2003 4runner as of yesterday.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    My dealership is expecting two on Monday. Does not have any yet. So they all do not have them quite yet.
    OOPS!
    Owe you an apology. Called and got two Sports in late last night. Checked them out. JBL stereo system is fantastic. Overall, its OK. Not earth shattering.
    = Additional Dealer Markup.

Russell Toyota in Catonsville MD, where I drove one last night, was adding an additional $4K to the MSRP for having the privilege of being the first on your block to own one.

The salesperson's logic was, people come in here and buy these things, and then immediately resell them on the Internet for profit. Ah, okay, you must also be selling the Brooklyn Bridge too...

Bob
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I just got into work today and we have three 2003 Runners on our lot. The SR5 and Sport are nice but I was under whelmed until I drove one. I swear, if you make a decision about these things before driving it, you're making a HUGE mistake. It is very quick, responsive, quite, smooth and comfortable.

MSRP with typical equipment is a bit over $34K for the SR5 4WD, just over $35K for the sport and $40K for the Limited sans navigation.

I can't get over the experience of driving this thing.
    Don't laugh. It happens. Our dealership bought a Nissan 350Z at auction on the day they were released for a bit over MSRP and sold it for $7000 over the next day. I'm not claiming this will be the case with the Runner, but it can and does happen. Personally, I think Toyota will be shipping too many of these for ADMs to last very long.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Look at the SE Toyota inventory page ( I posted the link yesterday); there's 128 pages of inventory! These thing have been arriving in droves. One dealer in Md is actually offering the 3 he has for slightly under MSRP, on internet sales.
    The Sport I looked at was 34,900+ with upgrade to stereo, running boards, floor mats, and a couple of other things. One thing I did noticed on the factory window sticker was the mileage rating. It was 15/19, not 16/19 as in the brochure.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    some people posting here earlier saying that rebates and discounts had actually decreased on 4Runner now that the big push is over to get rid of 2002 models. Well, the local dealer still has almost a dozen '02s and he is selling them all at at blanket discount of $5500 below MSRP, which he says includes a $2000 Toyota rebate, which is the biggest they have offered, to my knowledge. Just FYI.

Went last night and saw the '03 - in limited form it looks quite nice, although an awful lot like the Montero Sport at the back - the taillights might be identical. It is clear the 4th gen is a lot wider than the previous. The 17" rims look nice - interesting that even with the bigger rims the wheel wells have a lot of space remaining.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    now that Toyota has the regular 2003 info on its website, it has posted the gas mileage as 15/19, but all the car mag reviews listed 16/19 - what happened there, then?

I kind of like the "speckled black plastic" on the door frames - hard to scratch when you throw the door open too wide. Easier to clean too...breaks up the paint color to make the sides look smaller - of course some people may DISLIKE it for this very reason.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I am with tbcreative, I just sat in my next car. A Toyota dealership here in Birmingham has a gold Limited 4x4, a galactic gray SR5, and a titanium SR5 on their lot. I did most of the looking at the Limited. Here's how the total of $40,016 broke down:

$36,480 base
    $725 JBL stereo, not sure which one (no nav)
    $450 X-REAS
    $900 MoonRoof
    $225 Mats..must have been really nice mats
    $699 Toyogard Plus(the "southern" undercoating)
    $535 Destination

I was prepared to be disappointed and I was not. The quality build look is all there. I also like the dorado gold. The SR5 looked great in the titanium combo, not so much so in the galactic gray I thought. Cool feature as Bob mentioned, the self-closing rear hatch. The Limited had vanity mirrors, a sliding cover instead of the old hinged one. The stereo is absolutely awesome. The front seating area felt roomier, the rear seating about the same. I am 6'; no headroom problems. The storage seemed a shade smaller. When running, you cannot hear the motor, it's so quiet. I only took it for a two mile trip, but I think X-REAS is a must have option. Great power, compared to '98 I drive. Overall, I felt like you were sitting a shade lower than in the 3rd Gen.

The third row seating was really much ado about nothing, looking back. I can see how that seating would fill up the entire back and still be unuseful.
    << Our dealership bought a Nissan 350Z at auction on the day they were released for a bit over MSRP and sold it for $7000 over the next day. I'm not claiming this will be the case with the Runner, but it can and does happen. >>

If they did before, they'll do it again.

There's nothing worse, IMO, that a dealer can do to ruin good customer relationships than to add ADMs. You can justify it all you want (since you work for a dealer), but one bad dealer (one who adds ADMs) can ruin it for all the other dealers. Car dealers have for years taken heat from disgruntled customers, and every time this happens, it adds fuel to the fire. Car dealers then wonder, as a group, why they continue to be so despised...

Bob
    Has anybody else notices that you can't unlock the new Runners from the passenger side? There's no key hole.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I think Mercedes and BMW high-end cars do even have a keyhole! It is all remote now.
  • wldrnswldrns Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone devulge the invoice on the 4x4 sport model. My dealer is $750 under MSRP (not bad) and I'm just curious what the invoice might be on it? MSRP is $34,445. Thanks
    Invoice on our sport model (MSRP of $35066) is $31552 which includes the destination charge and TDA (advertising) fee. The TDA fee will vary be region. I must say though that at this point, invoice doesn't mean a whole lot. For now, market conditions will dictate price and my guess is that $750 off MSRP isn't a bad deal.
  • ozzmanozzman Member Posts: 3
    Been talking with my dealer about a 2003 Runner limited 4X4 with side curtain air bags but no nav system. The rep is telling me that I will have to special order since all the limited that have the side curtain airbags, also have the nav system. Is it true that you cannot get the side curtain bags without the nav system unless you special order ??
    are starting to disappear on a number of new cars. I know the new Subaru Forester no longer has a hatch keyhole, and I believe this is true for the Acura CL too. In fact, the Acura may also be missing a passenger door keyhole. I know there are others too, but I can't remember which they are.

I think it's because most cars now have remote entry systems, as well as central locking systems, so (multiple) keyholes are becoming less important.

Bob
    It depends on the region. Here in the Central Atlantic Region, we are getting the Limited with the side air curtains but without the Navigation. This region covers VA, MD, WV, PA and DE.
  • jtm4jtm4 Member Posts: 60
    For those who have seen the 2003 interior, did they position the cup holders under the radio console? It looks like it in the pics. Our Honda civic had the side by side cup holders under the radio console and we disliked the position. Always seemed to bang the drink against the shifter when removing or replacing it. I thought the placement of the 3rd generation cup holders was just right.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    I think a loaded 4 Runner limited has a MSRP around $45,819. I thought all limited 4 Runners were going to be full time 4wd. I found some limited 4 Runners listed as 2WD.

If I go the 2wd route is traction control available? Will acceleration be better with the 2wd vs. the full-time 4wd? Should I opt for the 4wd even if I never go off-road?

Thanks.
    They are adjustable and lighted and mounted in front of the shifter. I didn't have cups in them but I don't think they will interfere with the shifter.

Another neat feature I liked was the needle on the speedometer. It has a fiber optic piece the is lit down the center of it. It also shines on the outside rim of the dial. Its pretty cool to have your speed actually lit up by it.
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    The power of that V8 is great! Smooth and quiet. I really liked the looks, inside and out - much better in person.

The NAV system was hard to use while driving, but extremely accurate. The high-end sound system is perfect.

My only complaint is the ride. Not that is was really rough, but the front end felt unsettled when crossing diagonal pavement seams. Very truck-like.
    I haven't seen one w/ the nav system, but I'm pretty sure that if it's anything like any other GPS unit, then trying to adjust it while driving is probably not the best idea. Just my 2 cents.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    The 4x4 Ltd 4Runner has the fulltime 4x4 system. However not everyone needs 4x4 so they do offer 2x4 systems.

Also the correct msrp is $39,805 if you goto www.toyota.com and configure a 4RUNNER with the option package they list puts it there. Not bad.