Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Old Vette Advice, Please Help

jerry16jerry16 Member Posts: 22
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I'm looking to purchase an old corvette, between
the years 75 to 82. The third generation models
with the coke bottle body shape. Any owners or
previous owners please tell me what I should expect
from this car. I've always wanted a vette, but I
assume a car like that isn't quite as refined as
newer cars, even though I'm sure it was ahead of
it's time. Any input is appreciated.-j

Comments

• jerry16jerry16 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks very much.
  • 76vette76vette Member Posts: 2
    I think Mr_Shiftright covered a lot of the basics, but some other things to look for are whether or not the headlights pop up and retract like they're supposed to - it should be pretty quick. If they go up slowly, you may be looking at a $10 seal to fix, but if one or both are stuck in the up position, you need some headlight actuators at about $90 each.

Also, check underneath - the floorpans can rust on these, too.

If you're looking for a driver (like I was), non-originality isn't all bad, but you do need to know for haggling purposes. Mine has a non-original engine, but I wasn't planning on showing her at Bloomington. Also, the brakes had been upgraded to Vette Brakes stainless steel calipers and the rear spindles have been replaced with aftermarket versions that are sturdier than the originals.

My plans are to get everything back to working condition, but not necessarily original. Upgrading the front springs and rear leaf spring, better stereo (the original is long gone) and whatever else it needs to make this one a fun dependable driver.

By the way, why is 75 the earliest you listed? The '68s were the first with that body style, and the '74s were the first with no chrome front or back. Just curious.
    I was not aware that the 74 was the first without the chrome. That's why I listed the 75. I know the bodystyle was out earlier, but I don't care much for the chrome. I've been looking for a long time for this car and I'm having a lot of troouble finding one that isn't beat. Any in decent condition seem to be starting at 12-13k around here. I love the car, but that seems a tad high, especially when I just saw a 91 for $10k. That sounds tempting. It's not the first time I've seen one priced there either. Why so cheap a price on that model( early 90's)? I believe these models have much better performance, too. Interesting. How about some thoughts on the early 90's c4's. Man, I do love vettes! Thanks everyone.
  • 76vette76vette Member Posts: 2
    Where are you shopping? Mine cost about half of that, and while it needed a little work, not too much. Plus, some of the upgrades (stainless steel brakes, for one) were already done. The sharks should be cheaper than the early 90's, vettes, so maybe there's something more to the 91 than you mentioned.

Have you tried Hemming's Motor News? They have many listings from around the country, and that will give you a better idea of what the price range is. They do tend to have more ads for the good condition, high dollar specimens, though.

Can't help you on the 90's vettes, never had dealings with one. If the shark is your favorite, I'd keep looking for one. Just my $.02.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Actually, a '91 should cost more than a 70s early 80s coupe, at least in the book, but they are in fact quite close in the marketplace.

You need to find someone who really wants to SELL their Vette, not someone who's just fishing for a buyer who wants to pay over book price...a "motivated" seller as we say....and a "mature" motivated seller would even be better...
    Thanks, guys. Actually the 90-91's that I saw( more than one) had about 40k on them and all were marked 9999.99. Seems like a good price. Hopefully, I'll find a shark, though. At the grocery store I picked up a mag called corvette trader. Tons of listings, I think I'm on my way now.
    Good magazine, the "trader".
  • ernesternest Member Posts: 30
    Jerry, The prices you mentioned are quite high, it seems. What part of the world are you in? The prices in the Washington, DC, Maryland area are much more reasonable.
    I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. You can, in fact, find them for about 7k, but all that I have seen at that price are in poor condition. The search goes on.
  • jtbla1jtbla1 Member Posts: 6
    Always wanted one too. I've located a '84 with 31K
    white/red leather with all original equipment, straight body, both tops and clean interior (no sun fading on carpet, no splits in dash. Car apparently has all ads except a power passenger seat( were those avail in 84?)...
    Owner asking 11,900 and will replace Gatorbacks..
    Any thoughts?
  • gkorenekgkorenek Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I would go with a '84 (C4?) or later. I believe them to be more "liveable", comfortable, and roomy than the '68-82 models (note '83 model was skipped for Corvette).

Somewhere roughly in the '80-82 timeframe, Corvette manufacture moved from St Louis to Bowling Green. If I recall correctly, the '84 models had paint quality problems, but by now those should have been corrected.

I had a '68 (first year) Mako. It was a rolling, rattling, and "hot" (interior temperature-wise) ride. It had no storage space. The interior was cramped. The "T" tops leaked when it rained. I was shocked it could be so poor a car. But man it was fast! In '73 Cheverolet started making the car more of a comfortable cruising type of car.

The '82 Limited Edition at least has a operable rear hatch, something standard on all Corvettes
    '84 and later. A nice thing that makes the car usable.

My advice: The C4 ('84-??) is the most livable and usable. Might not be as sexy looking as a shark car, but IMHO much more livable and functional.
  • barbian25barbian25 Member Posts: 1
    Take it from a guy who knows I had a 71 vett for a wile and it was awalys a gas sucking problem wateing to happen. Not to say it wasn't fun as hell. but if you use it every day get the c-4
    Your observations are well supported by the marketplace...many late 70s and early 80s Vettes are available at rock-bottom prices, because the enthusiasts don't like them (a few exceptions, like Pace Cars, etc.).

I wouldn't say the C4 is the paragon of build quality either. You'll probably have to live with rattles and pieces falling off and a pretty hard ride. But I agree, a much better car than some of the earlier ones.
  • spootybeaver1spootybeaver1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i am a sooty spoot spoot beaver wanting to know who much a 1957 cherry red mint condition w/ original white wall, original engine , and tan leather seats would cost. I would also like to be a convertible.

Please if you know tell me, i am dying to know!!!
    The value of such a car would depend greatly, enormously, on the quality and accuracy of the restoration. Prime examples of perfectly restored cars can bring $50,000, but cars of this quality are rare, despite the claims of owners and their advertisements...but a very very VERY nice driving car in great condition should bring around $35,000 in the marketplace no problemo.

The '57 Chevy convertible is not, interestingly, a particularly rare car by collector car standards, with over 47,000 of them having been made. But they are highly desired, so that, rather than rarity, keeps the price way up.
  • gkorenekgkorenek Member Posts: 4
    Hi spooty beaver,

Are you for real?

This is a "Vette" topic.
    Thanks everyone, I know I haven't checked back in a while. I'm now pretty set on a '92-94 vette. I just can't find a decent older vette. Plus, I don't think I could live with it dialy. I do want to drive the car as much as I can, which around here is problably 8months out of the year.
  • vetter4vetter4 Member Posts: 1
    I'VE OWNED MY 76 FOR OVER 5 YRS. DUE TO NOT REALLY KNOWING WHAT TO LOOK FOR, I OVERPAID, BUT I WANTED A VETTE SO IFORKED OVER $7K. IT HAD A BEAUTIFUL BLK LACQUER REPAINT,BLK LEATHER INT.PRETTY WELL LOADED.IN THAT TIME I'VE REPLACED THE CORE SUPPORT (RUSTED),WATER PUMP,FRONT SUSPEN-SION,SHOCKS,HOSES,BELTS,REAR SPINDLES,REAR LEAF,HD
    REAR END COVER.I'VE DETAILED THE ENGINE COMPART-MENT,INSTALLED P255-60'S ALL THE WAY AROUND,HAD A
    REPUTABLE SHOP HERE IN DAYTON,OH GIVE IT A 4-WHEEL
    ALIGNMENT.THIS CAR IS A PLEASURE TO DRIVE AND IT TURNS HEADS!IT'S NOT FAST LIKE WHAT'S ASSOCIATED WITH VETTES,BUT IT'S A REALLY COOL BLVD CRUISER.
    WHEN YOU SHOP FOR VETTES AROUND THIS YEAR, TAKE THE TO CHECK THE THINGS I MENTIONED ABOVE.THESE CARS DO RUST FROM UNDERNEATH SO FIND ONE THATS BEEN GARAGED AND KEEP IT GARAGED WHEN YOU GET IT.
    MINE IS FINALLY TO THE POINT WHERE IT DOESN'T ACTU
    ALLY "NEED" ANYTHING.IT NOW HAS 108K MILES ON ITS ORIGINAL MOTOR AND DRIVETRAIN,BUT ITS BEEN WELL MAINTAINED OVER THE YEARS AND SHOWS IT. I WOULDN'T HESITATE TO DRIVE TO CAL. AND BACK!THESE CARS ARE PRETTY EASY TO WORK ON COMPARED TO 84-AND-UP VETTES,AND THE STYLING BEATS THE NEWER ONES
    HANDS DOWN! EVEN WITH ALL THE WORK AND EFFORT PUT INTO MINE TO KEEP IT SHARP AND DRIVABLE,I DON'T
    THINK I WOULD ASK ANY MORE THAN $9K FOR IT,AND IT IS FOR SALE!EVEN THOUGH I LOVE MY STINGRAY,I WANT TO SELL IT TO MOVE UP TO A MID TO LATE 60'S.BY THE WAY, DID YOU KNOW THAT '76 WAS THE LAST YEAR FOR THE ""STINGRAY"" NAMEPLATE?HOPE I DIDN'T BORE
    YOU TO DEATH! SAVE THE WAVE!
    JERRY M.
    CHESKI1@AOL.COM
    Hi Jerry,

thanks for the interesting comments. Next time you visit, release the CAPS button, it looks like you're shouting at us!

best from Your Host.
  • breenebreene Member Posts: 1
    Am considering an early Corvette for vintage events, including the California Mille. Cars must be 56 or earlier to compete. When was V8 first available, what about 4-speed, or am I stuck with 3 speed w/overdrive? Also, anyone know prices for a good driver, nice but not a trailer queen?
    The first V-8s were 1955, but the first 4-speeds were 1957. There are some rare '56 cars with a RPO 449, a special hi-lift camshaft, but most have the RPO 469 (2-4 barrel carbs, 225HP). So of 3,080 cars with 2-4V carbs, about 1,570 have a 3-speed manual trans......so that's your target...1,570 possible cars to choose from unless you can live with an automatoic

So realistically for 1956 you will probably find a V-8, no problem but no 4-speeds that are stock.

Price for a nice driver, around $30-35K.

You know, you could buy one heckuva beautiful '56 Alfa Spyder for less than half that...fun to drive, too.
  • mshriromshriro Member Posts: 3
    In reference to post 16, what is a sooty spoot spoot beaver? Is this a good thing to call yourself?
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    Only if you're four years old.
  • massbobmassbob Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a nice Category 2 1962 Vette. I'll be looking at one this weekend and it is supposed to have matching numbers. In an earlier posting, one of the users posted the VIN range for a particular year and also indicated the code ID to indicate the engine/transmission combination. Can someone tell me how to obtain this information for the 1962 year. In addition, can someone tell me where on the engine I will find the "matching number." Also, does anyone know if the VIN is coded to tell me what the original color was? Thanks for the help.
  • haak1haak1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 69. I like it a lot, but don't know jack about old vettes. What should I look for? Is there a resource out there that I should know about? Someone please help...
    Yeah, order a copy of

"Corvette Buyer's Guide" through Amazon.com

It's $17.95 and it's a good beginner's guide to purchasing a Corvette.

Also, check the market prices carefully...the 68-69 models are not highly collected (for various reasons related to the car's reputation when it first came out), so don't overpay...it will take time for them to increase in value. They are best driven and enjoyed on a daily basis.
  • vette78vette78 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 78 corvette and i was wondering where to buy the best replacement/performance parts? im running a 350sb fully stock other than a k&n airfilter if u could send me info to help me out i would be vary thankful

thanx
    I think I would surf the web for the regional owner's club nearest your area, read their directory and call one of the people who run the club. This way you get firsthand info that might be more reliable than what you read on BBS boards. However, there is a Corvette topic in our own Town Hall > board that seems to be visited by very knowlegable folks. So try over there...it's called "Let's Talk about the C5 Corvette", but some of the people own other 'Vettes and know the networks pretty well it seems.
  • wasamanwasaman Member Posts: 4
    Looking for vettes have had three. Look on www.proteamcorvette.com got everything you can imagine. All you need is the cash.
  • connonconnon Member Posts: 52
    With minimal searching you should be able to find at least a dozen outfits that do just Vettes.Ecklers, MidAmerica,Vette Brakes and products, Paragon,Zip products are just a few that come to mind.Pick up a copy of Corvette Fever or Vette magazine and the ads are all throughout each issue.Personally, I find Ecklers to have excellent service and usually all will provide a catalog on request.my money pit is a 76 L82.Love it.Not a muscle monster , but drives real nice and still turns heads.just turned 65000 and passed NJ inspection with no tampering.
  • butchcoatbutchcoat Member Posts: 3
    hi,
    i'v been dealing with vette for some years now and own a 71 right now. if i were looking to buy one as you want it would have to be between the years of 80 to 82 anything after that is junk untill u get into the upper 80's like 89 then u start getting into higher prices. the body styles are the same from 68 to 72 with some little exceptions. the chrome front bumper went on the 73 but the rest of the car stayed the same then in 74 the back bumper left, but the body over all still stayed the same as like the flat back glass windows are all the same from 68 to 77 but the 72 model was the last to be able to remove.the 1976 year was the big body change back to the fast back look and the plant then moved to kentucky in 83 thats why there are no 1983 vettes. the opening year in 1984 saw a diff body style again and u kno the rest. from 84 to about 88 they had computer problems and thats why they are so cheap. the ones from 89 and on up run fine. the years u are thinking about from 74 to 82 are how should i say less then powerful. they come with anywhere from a 350 250hp to A 454 270HP IN 1974 TO A 1982 350 200HP. THEY STOP PUTTING THE 454'S IN THEM BACK IN 1974THAT PRODUCED A WHOPING 270HP ALMOST AS MUCH AS MY LAWN MOWER. IF U WANT POWER U HAVE TO EITHER GO BACK TO 72 AND LOWER OR A 1990 AND NEWER WHICH THE ZR1 WAS A 350/375HP BUT WILL COST U SOME CASH. I DO HAVE A 71 350/300HP(CONSERVETIVE ESTAMATE)/ROCK CRUSHER 4SPEED FOR SALE. ITS WHAT THEY CALL AN L48 AND ITS A NUMBER MATCHING CAR AND I HAVE FOR SALE FOR 8999.00. ITS GOT A BRAND NEW PAINT JOB,AND A BUILT MOTOR WITH ALOT OF GOODIES. WHAT IT DOES NEED RIGHT NOW IS A LEFT FRONT BRAKE CALIPOR AND CARB WORK OTHER THAN THAT ITS A NICE CAR. I'M NOT WANTING A TON OF MONEY FOR IT BUT I'M NOT JUST GOING TO GIVE IT AWAY EITHER.I'M LOOKING TO BUY OR TRADE FOR A 1982 AUTO,BLACK ON BLACK. IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT UR LOOKING FOR OR U WOULD LIKE TO ASK ABOUT MY CAR JUST EMAIL ME AT BUTCHCOAT804@CS.COM. I'M IN ST.LOUIS
  • butchcoatbutchcoat Member Posts: 3
    HI, CONTRARY TO WHAT SOME OF U PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO BELIEVE CHEVY NEVER MADE A MAKO SO DONT BE TELLING ALL THESE PEOPLE U OWN ONE ESPACAILY BACK IN 1974 WHAT A JOKE, ITS MISLEADING THOSE WHO R TRYING TO LEARN ABOUT CORVETTES. THEY HAD 1 PROTOTYPE THAT NEVER MADE IT TO PRODUCTION ALL OTHER ARE PHONY AS A 3 DOLLAR BILL.
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    For all of you Vette people out there, and those that just know cars, I have to put my '68 coupe in storage for a little over three years and would like advice on how to preserve it.

All help is appreciated. The engine is newly rebuilt and my biggest worry, but the other components need loving too.

Thanks.
    I answered your question on storage at length in your duplicate post

Mr. Shiftright
    Host

• leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Up until a few years ago, my wife owned a 1979 Corvette. She had the car for 10 years prior to us getting married, and the "suspension and handling freak" that I am, I had to give it a good going over shortly after our marriage.
    One item I installed on the car, and highly recommend, is the fiberglass rear leaf spring from "Vette Brakes and Products". Installing this spring is one of the best mods you can make to a Corvette. After putting this spring on, the car stopped riding like a buckboard, and almost rode like a car. It's well worth the time and money.
    One side note....someone should tell "butchcoat" above, that the HP ratings went from the SAE "gross" to SAE "net" ratings in 1972. That's why the numbers dropped, however the actual output stayed the same.
This discussion has been closed.