Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Turbo or No Turbo?

windowsillwindowsill Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Subaru
I'm selling my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and going with a more practical car.....the Subaru Forrester.

We are trying to decide between the Turbo or not. Wondering if any of you have some thoughts on the pros/cons of the two.

Our decision has come down to the turbo...which would be the XT or getting the X Limited with Navigation. I'd love the navigation....but can't afford it if we go turbo.

So...it's turbo or navigation. Is the turbo going to be that much better than the regular engine? I am used to driving the wrangler, which has a pretty powerful engine, so I'm a bit worried to go non-turbo.

Is it true that the navigation can only come with the limited's?

Thanks for all your advice!

Comments

• robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    If you test drive both, back to back, you will likely find the XT a no-brainer over the X Limited. The 4EAT auto tranny mates quite nicely to the turbo, but feels gutless with the 2.5i NA.

I test drove both, back-to-back, last weekend, as did my wife. Both of us agreed the XT/Turbo performed and felt much better than the NA engine. We bought one, that day, (DGM), and we pick it up on Wednesday, this week!!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There's no doubt the turbo performs a lot better, especially at high altitudes, but I think the base engine is at least adequate.

It's incredible that we think 170hp is not enough nowadays, remember when the original Suzuki Sidekick Sport (with the upgraded engine) had just 120hp? Base engines in there had 96hp, IIRC.

0-60 falls in the 9-10 second range for the non-turbo, and about 6 seconds for the turbo (C&D quotes 6.2 seconds). So it's not that the base engine is slow, it's that the turbo engine is ridiculously fast.

You mention you can't afford a turbo with the NAV, so you should also consider fuel costs. The turbo prefers premium fuel, and more of it. It is geared taller, so the difference is not as big as it used to be, but still, it'll cost $303 per year more for gas per the EPA estimates.

Here is what I would suggest:

Option A: turbo, but get a Garmin Nuvi 200W portable GPS, mine was just $199 delivered.

Option B: X Limited, but get a PZEV model. For $200 or so extra, you get a cleaner PZEV vehicle that makes 5 extra HP to boot, for 175hp total.

Even with option B, I would conside the portable GPS alternative, which will save you a bunch. Subaru's GPS is not the best out there, and Garmins are easier to use, IMO.

Either way I think you will like the Forester, we love ours (Limited PZEV).
    Sure, 170 (or PZEV 175) is "adequate", but if you're going to drop 30-40k for a car, I would hope it would be a bit more than "adequate".

Since he's posting on here, he has the internet, so he has mapquest to find directions. Navigation's not so important.

For just a bit more, the turbo mates so much better to the 4EAT. At least in Canada, the XT also comes standard with the rear spoiler and cargo mat, which we would have added on as options on the X, making the price difference even smaller.

If you never drive the turbo, you might feel fine not knowing the difference, but if you drive an X first, then an XT immediately afterwards, I think you will notice a significant difference well worth 5% more total cost of ownership.
  • bears2bears2 Member Posts: 14
    I also test drove both and the turbo is like a completely different car. I agonized over the decision to go turbo or non-turbo. Crunched the numbers and decided that the $300-400 per year for premium fuel and the 2 MPG less for the turbo was worth getting the superior vehicle. I figured the awesome deal I got on the XT (non-limited) at Heuberger Motors ($24,300) will somewhat make up the difference ...and I've given up Starbuck's lattes! But the fun of the XT is well worth it. Plus, for mountain driving in Colorado, the turbo comes in really handy (the non-turbo labors getting up the inclines).
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Pros:

a. The XT has more than enough power for any situation and will put a grin on your face every time you mash the accelerator.

b. The XT will still get better mpg than your Wrangler

Cons:

a. Frequently mashing the accelerator isn't going to do anything for your mpg

b. The X Limited will get even better mpg than your Wrangler

c. If you're the type that paying 20-30 cents extra per gallon for premium is going to bug you, then the XT is a bad choice.

Here's my recommendation, take a test drive in the X Limited first. As Juice pointed out, 170-175 hp really is adequate for almost any situation. If you're satisfied with its acceleration, go ahead and get the X and feel good about owning a vehicle that is so fuel efficient and practical at the same time.

For many people, once they've driven the XT, the adequate acceleration of the X suddenly seems a lot less "adequate" ;)

-Frank
    In the US my 2.5 X Limited was only 25k, far below the average new vehicle price per NADA, and it's loaded. Our GPS is aftermarket but that's it. We have the world's biggest moonroof above us and heated and perforated leather seats below. Heaven.

If you never drive the turbo, the X doesn't feel slow, at least for its 4 cylinder class. It gets the job done and never complains, and we've seen 34mpg during steady highway cruise.

It's not just the $300 extra per year, but also the range you give up, so you'll also fill up more frequently. I kept my last Forester for 9 years, so that adds up to a few thousand dollars over that time.

If you haul heavy loads frequently, or live at high altitudes, or just want a fast car, by all means go for the XT. You will enjoy the extra power SOME of the time, when you can go fast. That's not very often around here with all the speed cams.

For normal use, which is all most people need anyway, ours doesn't feel lacking in any way, and the luxury options pamper you ALL the time.

The secret is this - just don't sample the XT! :D
    LA Times wrote:

"The leather in our upscale test vehicle could have come out of an Italian cobbler's shop."

I can't find the other review I'm looking for, but they basically said that Subaru stole a batch of leather intended for Rolls Royce for the Forester Limited.

We didn't like the cloth on the lesser models, though I'm not sure if the XT gets better fabric (it probably does).
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Nope, I have the XT cloth, it's the same as the X cloth, I didn't like it either, but I like automatic climate control even less so I chose to put up with the cloth to control my own temp.
    Yeah, I have to agree. Last night I set the temp at around 75 degrees, and for some strange reason it alternated blowing cold and hot air. It seems to function better at extreme temp settings, i.e. very cold or very hot.

Having said that, what I like to do is set the temp low and then use the heated seats. :shades:

We took a long trip and my wife drove up, while I drove back. We had a friendly mileage competition.

She got 30.0mpg on her leg, but I only managed 27.0mpg coming back on the same route. Oddly enough I had less traffic, but I think my average speeds were higher, so that's why she beat me.

Not bad, though. Even with my less efficient driving, we could go more than 450 miles on a full tank of gas.
    She got 30.0mpg on her leg, but I only managed 27.0mpg

Oooohhh!!!! Good luck living that one down :P Especially considering how you've bashed her in the past for having a lead foot :shades:

Regarding the auto climate control, I refuse to use it in either of our cars. The fan revving to high speed everytime I start the engine just drives me crazy. I normally just leave the temp setting at its lowest and then manually adjust the fan speed.

Oh and yes, you can get aftermarket leather for about $1200. When I did my 04 Forester, the aftermarket Katskinz leather was a better quality than the factory's and you had a large selection of colors to choose from (I chose a two-tone with perforated inserts).

-Frank
    Yeah, I may never here the end of it. Especially since she beat me by a full 3mpg.

I don't think she's slowed down, it was traffic I tell ya! ;)

Two-tone looks great, I'd love that, but I do think the OE leather is a lot better than it used to be, so no regrets.
  • windowsillwindowsill Member Posts: 5
    well..........we went and drove the X.........then......drove the XT......
    :)
    and all of you were right....no turning back....we are picking up our 09 XT this week!

we're so excited! can't wait to get it! thanks again all of you for your ideas!
    HA! Welcome to the club. I don't regret getting the XT for a second. Enjoy the car...and save money some other way!!!
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    :P the curse of the XT, got me too!!! One of my co-workers asked to take a look at my new car last week, so I showed him. He chuckled: "you got a wagon!" I said: hop in, let's go for a spin. I dropped it into the sport shift, floored it off the light in 1st, got up to 2nd and 3rd before he said: holy****! Not only wasn't he giggling afterwards, he couldn't stop talking about it to other co-workers. :shades:
    My wife & I picked up "her" 2009 XT, last week. Several times each, we test drove a 2.5i X, and 2.5i XT. The XT is soooo much better, and soooo much more fun to drive.

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Really, nice sharp looking vehicle. Almost makes me want to get one. :shades
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Good:
    Very responsive, not much lag.
    Plenty of power for passing.
    Bigger / wider tires help handling

Bad:
    Premium gas is required (lower grades can trigger "check engine" light)
    Oil changes are more frequent
    Throttle tip-in is a bit aggressive
    Turbo may not be covered by extended service plans.

---------------

Wrt auto AC, I pretty much leave it in manual mode except on hot days. Auto fan's a bit aggressive and goes to maximum speed too easily. A broader temperature range would help.
    Turbo may not be covered by extended service plans.

Huh? What makes you think that? :confuse:

FYI, the turbo on my 04 XT is still going strong at 66k miles.

-Frank
    I saw a price list for extended warranties and the turbo models carried a 50% surcharge.

So you can get one, but it'll cost you 50% more.

You drive the XT, you'll buy the XT. I knew it.

We bought the 175hp PZEV engine, in Limited trim so it's an auto. It's perfectly fine.

I simply refuse to drive an XT. :D
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    In shopping for my 2008, I drove an XT 5MT and decided against it because:
    1. Initial cost.
    2. Premium gas cost.
    3. Lower mpg, even lower if driven enjoyably.
    4. More frequent maintenance required by Subaru.
    5. Possible problems with turbo after warranty.
    6. More power than I needed, would only use it because it was there, waste gas, get tickets.
    7. Clutch and shifter were not pleasant. The plain X 5MT was easier. My Scion xB is even better.

I ended up with an LL Bean 4EAT. The power is adequate 99% of the time. There have been only a few 2-lane passes in 6000 miles where I needed the power of the turbo. The NA 4EAT gets me 25 mpg in city/suburban and 29 mpg on the highway, which is more important to me and shows that an XT would be wasted on my driving style.
  • exchngcarinfoexchngcarinfo Member Posts: 12
    I was interested in the Turbo. I already have two naturally aspirated automatic transmission Foresters and the family really likes them, but we all wish they had better acceleration. It is not just that the na engine has less torque and less horsepower. It is also that the automatic transmission has a high downshift lockout speed. This is the speed above which the transmission will not allow you to drop down to a lower gear. In most cars the downshift lockout speed is about 5 to 10 mph below the maximum speed in the lower gear. In our Foresters it is between 15 and 20 mph below the maximum speed in first gear. So if you are moving at about 15 mph and stomp on the gas pedal or yank the a/t gear lever into 1 the tranny will not shift down. Acceleration in 2nd gear at around 15 mph is virtually nonexistent.

So, we wanted a third vehicle and we were enthused about the Forester Turbo. We went to the service department at the dealer and asked our mechanic and the service manager independently about the Turbo. Both of them said if we were going to keep the Turbo for no more than 3 years, it was great. If we were going to keep the car for more than three years we would be looking at some significantly expensive repairs. This ended our interest in the Forester Turbo.

Before you buy, ask people who have had the car for more than three years if they have had to do any expensive repairs related to the Turbo. If you already have one, make sure your extended warranty covers the Turbo model and save all your maintenance and repair receipts.

I hope that the recent changes to the Forester included correction of whatever problems the mechanic and service manager had been seeing over the past few years. It is a great car and we'd really like to be able to buy a Turbo model one day.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    That's odd. I've been working on Subarus since 1998, and we've probably worked on 500-700 different WRXs over the years. While I've seen bad turbos, most of the time it was due to user error or a highly modified car that the turbo caused an issue.

Change your oil every 3k-5k with synthetic and the turbo cars do not require anything more than a non-turbo car in terms of maintenance.

-mike
    I believe there's 5 years warranty on the powertrain. Shouldn't be any expensive repairs on the turbo for at least 5 years. Get an extended warranty, and you can push that to 6 or 7 years.

I rarely keep cars for more than 6 or 7 years. For me, reliability trumps longevity. Means I spend a lot of money on cars, but also means I have some peace of mind.
    Before you buy, ask people who have had the car for more than three years if they have had to do any expensive repairs related to the Turbo.

Well I've had my XT for 4 years 8 months and 66k miles and have had zero issues with the turbo :)

-Frank
  • rich505rich505 Member Posts: 33
    I took delivery of 2009 2.5X Premium, automatic, non-turbo Forester last week. Power is totally adequate so far, especially compared to my previous Ford Ranger 4WD pickup with the 4.0L V6. We live in area of hills, small mountains, and flat areas. The Forester does downshift when climbing some grades. My other vehicle is an 05 Camry V6. The Camry is smoother and quicker.

I was not willing to have to use premium gas for an XT model along with the increased maintenance.
    I'm still trying to figure out the "extra" maintenance that folks talk about.

The difference in gas price for an average driver is about $200/yr.

-mike
    I think they're referring to the mandated 3k oil change interval as opposed to the normally aspirated engine's 7,5k interval. Of course plenty of owners change their oil every 3k regardless but even for those who are used to following the manufacturer’s 7,5k recommendation, going to a 3k interval only means two additional oil changes a year which is what, another 50 bucks per year? That's less than a single fill-up.

However for some people, it doesn’t matter how logically the facts are presented to show that compared to all the other costs of owning a vehicle, the annual $ penalty for having a turbo is really quite small. Bottom line: If you're the type of person that always searches for the cheapest gas and the thought of having to pay extra for premium at every fill-up really bothers you, then you should steer clear of the XT (or any other high performance engine for that matter).

And FYI, I’m one of those who is always on the lookout for cheap gas and always try to use stations that only charge 20 cents extra for premium. But… I long ago came to terms with the fact that you have to pay to play and that since premium is recommended, that’s what I need to use. Plus when I do think about it, I just remind myself that it’s only costing me 3 bucks more per 15-gal tank of gas. That’s just a 5% surcharge at today’s fuel prices.

-Frank
    I know it's not much if you look at a monthly outlay, but over a period of say, 8 years, the extra oil changes and fuel surcharges add up to about $2000. Plus it costs a couple of grand more to begin with.

I looked one up, at Fitz it's $2200 more for an XT Ltd vs. and X Ltd.

That's $4200 so far, plus you pay more for insurance every 6 months. I didn't get a quote but let's say that's another $100 every 6 months, so $1600 over the 8 year ownership period.

We're talking about maybe $6 grand or so in additional ownership costs for the face-distorting acceleration.

Oh, and when we add the extra speeding tickets, it's more like $8 grand. :D

A speed cam just nabbed me in my minivan (!) doing 46 in a 35. C'mon, I'm like the slowest car on the road. This is getting ridiculous.

I will put up a caveat - if I planned on using our Forester to tow, or for trips on mountainy terrain, there's no doubt I would have paid the extra for the XT.
    By the way that comes out to $62 more per month over the 8 years if anyone's wondering. I doubt that will sway any people who fall in love with the XT's acceleration.
    Ha! You're skewing the numbers to help your argument. Of course it will vary depending on the individual but in my case the additional annual costs:

Premium fuel surcharge = $122 (avg of 13,4k miles per year @ 22 mpg)
    Additional oil changes = $50 (2 x $25)
    Insurance = $0 (If you're insurer charges extra I'd change companies!)

So the total additional annual cost is $172.

IRT the initial aquisition cost, yes the XT costs $2,200 extra but it will also be worth more when you sell it. According to Edmunds, an 04 XT is worth $1,200 more than an 04 XS. So a $1k difference in cost amoritized over 8 years comes out to only $10.42 per month! :P

-Frank
    "... FYI, the turbo on my 04 XT is still going strong at 66k miles.

That is good.

"Recently, the turbocharger on my Forester scorched a bearing due to an oil seal that let loose. The dealer wanted $2380 for a stock turbocharger plus installation of $400. The car has 70000 miles and is out of warranty."
    paisan, "subaru transmission problems" #6, 7 May 2007 8:17 pm

"... I take it to my mechanic.....TURBO IS BLOWN!!!!!! The car only has 135,000 KM's on it! I always ensured I allowed the turbo to spool down after driving it. The oil was changed every 5,000 KM's. The fix is gonna cost me between $3-4,000."
    http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/new-owner-turbo-blown-31258/
    So you only found two instances of failed turbos out of how many of thousands of units sold? If you're intent was to imply that the turbo isn't reliable, I don't think you made a very convincing argument :)

And even with the two examples you gave:

a. The first was bought used so there's no telling how it was driven. One of the replies to that post says it best:

"you buy a used car with that amount of mile's and then you complain because the turbo went out? did you expect the car to go a million miles with out ever having to replace a major part?"

b. With the 2nd example, I can't tell for sure but since the poster was looking to upgrade his turbo with one that provides more HP, I'm guessing that he probably drove it pretty "spiritedly".

Of course Subaru's aren't perfect (no manufacturer is) so yes, there's always the potential that a turbo will fail but then so might the head gaskets or any number of other expensive to repair items.

-Frank
    Let's see, you can blow a radiator, and warp the head from overheating on any car. The same could have been said about the "expensive" fuel injectors, "I never had this problem with my good old Holley Carbs", etc.

As for maintenance, if you read the specs, the "severe" interval for the NA cars is 3,000 miles as well, so the oil changes are probably not even an extra cost. If you drive the car hard, sit in traffic, take short trips, etc. Those are all considered 3k changes even on the NA cars.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    22mpg is driving pretty lightly, no?

Why get a turbo, then? :P

For insurance, are you sure you don't pay more for a performance model? Check again, a Legacy GT costs a lot more to insure than a Legacy L (when I was quoted in 2002). I'm pretty positive you'd see a difference to insure a Forester turbo vs. a non-turbo.

I didn't actually get a quote, but I would be SHOCKED if the turbo engine didn't increase your insurance premiums.

As for resale, you looked at 2004s, which are only 4 years old. After 8 years the resale advantage will be a lot smaller. Valid point, but we're talking maybe $500 extra in resale value, not $1200. Plus it's harder to sell a turbo that requires premium fuel, fewer buyers would be interested.

I'm sure the actual number is somewhere between mine and yours. Closer to mine. ;)
    I've just finished shopping around for insurance on my new XT. Yes, buying a turbo does increase your premium...but not very much. It ends up being a few dollars per month. And Subaru extended service plans do charge more for turbo's (I think it's about $200-$400 depending on length of the plan). I decided to buy the plan because I don't even want to worry about costly turbo repairs or repairs to any other part of the car.

This has been an interesting thread. I think, ultimately, the decision between turbo and non-turbo has to come down to the value you place on power and acceleration, your own particular situation (I bought my turbo for mountain driving) and your financial situation. Even 7-8K over an 8 year period is considered pocket change to a lot of people...and, a lot of money to a lot of people, like me!! I have to say that I love my turbo and I've made peace with the financial hit. I wish I could say the same for my wife! I think there is some value to feeling that rush of 224 horsepower.
    It's not just cost - I like the extra range, too.

I was happy the 2009s got a 16.9 gallon tank because it meant I could drive an extra 25 miles per tank.

Basically you delay having to get gas for a couple of days, every tankful.
    22mpg is driving pretty lightly, no?

Not really. We obviously don't do jack rabbit starts away from every light but do regularly take advantage of the turbo.

I didn't actually get a quote, but I would be SHOCKED if the turbo engine didn't increase your insurance premiums.

When I traded my 01 Forester for the 04 the premium only went up marginally and was in line with the difference in replacement cost. Why do you think the turbo should cost more? Maybe in a sports car there will be a premium but Forester owners aren't likely to be drag racing (although if they did they'd be pretty competitive) ;)

As for resale, you looked at 2004s, which are only 4 years old.

Well duh! 04 was the first year the turbo was offered so I couldn't go back any further :P

Plus it's harder to sell a turbo that requires premium fuel, fewer buyers would be interested.

Quite possibly true but don't you think the resale/trade-in formulas already take that into account?

I'm sure the actual number is somewhere between mine and yours. Closer to mine

Hmm... I'm still pretty comfortable that my number is pretty accurate.

Face it Juice, you're just trying to rationalize reasons not to buy the XT. Rather than try and convince yourself that it costs a lot more, you should stick to the tried and true arguments that the non-turbo gets better gas mileage (it does), has perfectly acceptable acceleration (it does) and will keep your wife from getting too many speeding tickets (undoubtedly true) :shades:

-Frank

P.S. If you're nice, maybe I'll let you test drive my 5.3 sec 0-60 350Z killer when I move to DC next April :)
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Here in Massachusetts insurance cost is based on replacement value. With identical insurance my wife's 05 Bean costs a bit more to insure than my 06 Premium, even though with the options I have added the only real difference between the vehicles is her leather.

If both cars got stolen or totaled she would get more money from the ins. company even though it is a year older, so she pays more.
    "... So you only found two instances of failed turbos out of how many of thousands of units sold? "
    Yes, that is all that I found out of thousands.
    "... As for maintenance, if you read the specs, the "severe" interval for the NA cars is 3,000 miles as well, so the oil changes are probably not even an extra cost. If you drive the car hard, sit in traffic, take short trips, etc. Those are all considered 3k changes even on the NA cars. "

So under the same driving conditions, just maintain your turbo like an NA and you should do fine, right?

"... Caring for Subaru Turbocharged Engines ... The following information updates factory recommendations for the care and maintenance of new Subaru turbocharged vehicles... Due to heat generated by the turbocharger and carbon deposits contained in exhaust gas, the oil in a turbocharged engine will deteriorate faster than the oil in a naturally aspirated engine. Therefore, special care should be taken to use proper grade oil and to monitor oil deterioration. Under normal driving conditions, the recommended oil and oil filter change
    interval for turbo vehicles is every 3,750 miles or four months, whichever comes
    first. However, for vehicles driven in conditions beyond normal, such as racing
    conditions, the oil and oil filter may require more frequent changing... Any driving where the engine speed is kept high – either by using lower gears at higher speeds or using engine braking – is considered racing-type driving. A “track day” or autocross event requires an oil and oil filter change immediately before and immediately after the event.... Carbon deposits produced by a turbocharged engine can accumulate at the bottom of the oil pan. When changing the oil, always drain the oil through the oil drain plug hole on the oil pan..."
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum08/Sum08_Turbo.htm
    In that case I'll go back to the speeding ticket argument. ;)

I just got nailed by a speed cam doing 46 in a 35. Gimme a break. I'm the slowest minivan on the road! Randolph Road has 3 lanes in that area, 3 lanes, and it's just 35mph.

266hp = speeding ticket
    175hp = no speeding ticket

At least there are no points assigned. I've been nabbed twice in the Miata and once in the van. Usually in places where they set the speed limit artificially low (25mph on MacArthur Blvd).

:D

You're moving to DC? Really? Cool, yeah I definitely want to drive it again.

Though you're going to have to trade it in else you'll be getting tickets like those on a weekly basis.

Bob's been nailed twice in the DC area with his WRX, and he lives closer to Baltimore! :surprise:
    "... As for maintenance, if you read the specs, the "severe" interval for the NA cars is 3,000 miles as well, so the oil changes are probably not even an extra cost. If you drive the car hard, sit in traffic, take short trips, etc. Those are all considered 3k changes even on the NA cars. "

So under the same driving conditions, just maintain your turbo like an NA and you should do fine, right?

"... Caring for Subaru Turbocharged Engines ... The following information updates factory recommendations for the care and maintenance of new Subaru turbocharged vehicles... Due to heat generated by the turbocharger and carbon deposits contained in exhaust gas, the oil in a turbocharged engine will deteriorate faster than the oil in a naturally aspirated engine. Therefore, special care should be taken to use proper grade oil and to monitor oil deterioration. Under normal driving conditions, the recommended oil and oil filter change
    interval for turbo vehicles is every 3,750 miles or four months, whichever comes
    first. However, for vehicles driven in conditions beyond normal, such as racing
    conditions, the oil and oil filter may require more frequent changing... Any driving where the engine speed is kept high – either by using lower gears at higher speeds or using engine braking – is considered racing-type driving. A “track day” or autocross event requires an oil and oil filter change immediately before and immediately after the event.... Carbon deposits produced by a turbocharged engine can accumulate at the bottom of the oil pan. When changing the oil, always drain the oil through the oil drain plug hole on the oil pan..."
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum08/Sum08_Turbo.htm

That's all pretty vaguely written. So what's "more frequently than 3750? 3k? I always change mine at 3k-5k miles on my cars and no issues. Heck my 94 turbo legacy went 150k miles with 10k+ track miles (6000 rpms for 2hrs at a time) and never burned a drop of oil.

-mike
    Don't even get me started on speeding tickets. I went almost 20 years without getting one and then got two in the span of a couple of months after I moved out to the land of photo radar. The first ticket was for going 23mph in a 15mph zone :cry: I even went to court on that one and while the judge was very sympathetic, he still found me guilty. can you say "revenue stream"?

To keep this post on topic though, I don't think having more HP increases your chances of getting a speeding ticket, although it does get you to the speed limit faster. The key is to know your speed and keep it below the photo radar's threshold.

Interestingly enough, both my wife and I have discovered that it's easier to speed in the XT than the SLK. Uh oh, I think I just made an argument against getting a turbo ;)

-Frank

P.S. Yep looks like we'll be moving to DC next April.
    On that photo radar, what band radar do they use? I'm assuming X, K or Ka, and is it detectable by a radar detector? If so it should be easy to avoid tix on them.

-mike
    Hmmm, good point. I gave up my "Fuzz Buster" over 20 years ago but it may be time to look into them again :)

-Frank
    8mph over the limit? :sick:

Here they are everywhere, plus my old detector would false a lot. A ton actually.

Not to mention they're illegal in VA, which I go to on occasion.

I dunno, Frank, the wife used to get a lot of tickets with her old V6 sedan. She dropped to a 4 cylinder Legacy and didn't get a single ticket in 7 years.

Definitely driver's fault but the extra power sure doesn't help in that regard.
    Not to mention they're illegal in VA

Oh well then, that options out... I'll be living and working in VA.

For some reason I thought that radar detectors were illegal in MD? Seems like when I used to drive up I-81, you had to be careful on that short stretch that goes thru MD.

-Frank
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Radar detectors are illegal in both VA and DC. Maryland is not a problem, as they are legal there.

Move to MD Frank, not VA. ;)

Bob
    He'd still have to take it down every day on the way to work.

Oh boy, you're gonna hate northern VA traffic. Watch, your next car will be a CVT Prius. :D
    The new dectors are pretty advanced. I just got my first one an Escort 9500i, it allows you to block out a frequency @ a particular GPS location (has a built in GPS chip) so that you can eleminate false reports like at toll booths, banks etc. There is also a feature to mark speed traps and cameras. It will warn you 1 mile in advance. The GPS also can display your GPS speed which gives you an almost heads up display. There is an even newer version where you can download speed trap and camera info from Escort's website. The GPS also allows it to have speed sensitive radar (if you are going under 30mph it will only warn you briefly since you are likely under the limit)

Technology is pretty nifty!

-mike
This discussion has been closed.