Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Turbo or No Turbo?

2»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes it is, and I appreciate tech gagdets as much as anyone.

Around here, though, the traps are EVERYWHERE, so you basically have to slow down all the time, and that's annoying.

I try to keep a consistent speed, usually 6-9 over. They nabbed me for 11 over, which is lame since the limit is set artificially low. It's a 3 lane road where I was fined, 3 lanes and 35mph?!
  • carmen8carmen8 Member Posts: 9
    So I just test drove both a 2.5X Limited and a 2.5XT Limited. Sigh. Is it my imagination or is the 2.5X underpowered? I'm coming off of a Honda Odyssey and I really don't want a dog of a car. (I really want a car not an SUV, but we have so much &*#^%$* snow here in Rochester NY that I know I'll regret buying a regular car.)
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    The XT Limited has the proper amount of power for that chassis, and that transmission. You're not imagining anything.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    You can get good mileage in the Turbo if you're "easy" with the throttle. Highway driving helps - On freeway, I've hit 27.5 mpg in my '09 XTL :) . But what is nice about the XT is: When you need to accelerate, it does.

Also, you can help minimize engine and turbo wear by simply letting the car idle 15 - 20 seconds after starting, before you drive off.

Finally, there's a reputable oil additive around, ASL Camguard (web search will find it). Although promoted for aircraft, its maker shows it helps prevent oil burning and deposits in any engine, especially ones with turbochargers. The maker is considering making a version specifically for autos - why not email or write them if that sounds interesting?
    Try a PZEV model, which has 175hp.

I don't find ours underpowered.

Power to weight is 3360 lbs / 175 hp = 19.2 lbs per horse.

What Ody do you have? For the 08 it's 4385 lbs and 244hp, so 18.0 lbs per horse.

Fairly similar IMHO.

The XT's is 14.2 so it's in another league.

Your Ody should feel more like the Forester X, though.
  • bears2bears2 Member Posts: 14
    My XT got 33 MPG on the highway today on a 30 mile stretch. When I got off the highway, it dropped to 27. I am learning the "art" of getting better gas mileage on this car. I've talked to many people who swear they can match the MPG of non-turbos. I'm not there yet, but definitely getting better. Easing on the accelerator at lights (and in general) helps MPG dramatically. I agree with the poster who said the 2.5X seemed underpowered. But hey, less power to anyone who finds that it works for them! I really like having the option of more power when I need it and for mountain driving. I am also convinced that the turbo runs smoother and quieter than the non-turbo. Thanks for the information regarding the oil additive. I'm going to do some reseach on it.
    It should mellow out the exhaust, that's true. Driven hard you'll hear the blow-off valve, though, so it really would depend.

The turbo is geared taller so I can see how it could potentially do better, but in practice the non-turbos are getting several MPG higher averages.

I looked it up - the final drive on the XT is 8.1% taller. The 4 ratios on the automatic are the same, so on the highway it should rev 8.1% lower at a given speed compared to the X Limited, which has the same size tires. Off boost, in theory it would use less fuel in steady, flat cruising.

In practice, unless you have cruise control on and are driving on a totally flat surface with zero traffic, I doubt that's the case.

The hood scoop alone increases aerodynamic drag at highway speeds, plus it's 100 lbs heavier. Though come to think of it, once up to speed I don't think the weight is a factor. It's the slowing down and then speeding up, the latter which the XT does at a higher rate, that would hurt your real-world MPG.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It should mellow out the exhaust, that's true. Driven hard you'll hear the blow-off valve, though, so it really would depend.

Unless there is something wrong with your stock BOV, you should never hear it. The Subarus use a recirculating BOV and the air isn't released it's fed back into the system, so there is no tell tale BOV sound.

-mike
    Is that right? Cool.

I guess I've heard so many aftermarket BOV applications that I thought they all made the noise! :D
    Been hanging with the yungins again juice? :)

-mike
    My Miata is like street-racing-bait. I never race, of course (with a whopping 99 lb-ft of torque I couldn't take an Outback Sport), but they always seem to want to race me.

VroooOOOOOM - PSSST - VrooooOOOOOM....

Must be modded cars, I suppose.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Naturally they assume that anyone driving a Miata that old would have at least modded to some extent :P
    Mine is increasingly rare - an unmolested NA Miata, still in pretty good shape.
    I'm a big fan of the pinata racing :) That's what usually happens when the spec miatas race. They love to trade paint.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Yeah, I used to post a photo of a huge group of them on a track, it was very cool to see 30-40 of the same car all lined up.

I spoke too soon - a neighbor backed in to my left front fender and I had to have it replaced. 2nd time.

At least it was just the fender, and I got a brand new one.
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    Luckly, money is not much of an issue for me so it was not a deciding factor in buying the forester. I live in the city where you drive from one traffic light to the other. For my purpose the XT did not make much sense. I wanted the practicality of subaru's awd and enough space to carry "stuff". Since my driving is 95% city driving, I bought the X-limited. So far I have been very happy with the car as it serves its purpose very well. I am looking forward to our first snow storm.

However, if I lived in a location where I would be able to stretch the foresters legs, or had some serious hills to climb.....I would definitly get the XT. However, I can't imagine racing that mustang GT with the XT from one traffic light to the other is much fun.

For long weekend drives and trips I take my new mini cooper S with the 6 speed manual transmission. Now that is one fun turbo ;)
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    When I bought my manual trans Forester XT, my commute was 90% hwy driving. Then I moved and my commute is now 95% city driving (albeit not congested Manhattan). However, I still enjoy driving the XT. I usually drive conservatively but it's nice on occasion to be able to step on the gas and be pushed back into the seat :)

-Frank
    I can say that ours is very responsive - no lag at all. I've owned cars in the past that you hit the throttle and had to wait for a response, but our 09 Forester moves right away, immediately, at any speed.

The transmission is similarly responsive, especially in Sport mode.

I swear, I'd take this 4EAT over the 5 speed in my Toyota Sienna, any day of the week. No contest. In the van you have to wait for the 2-stage intake to open the 2nd valve, and the tranny takes longer to pick a gear also. Eventually, it's a lot quicker with its big V6, but it's not nearly as responsive, if that makes sense.

I'd like to see Subaru try a CVT or more ratios but IF AND ONLY IF it is as responsive as the current powertrain.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd have to agree. We've got a new Forester loaner from the dealer, as my wife's Forester is in for some work being done. The new Forester 4EAT is pretty good in terms of response. The car certainly feels more responsive than our '01 Forester. Still... wish there was another gear for high speed cruising.

Bob
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    I always thought a 5-spd auto would also be good. But in the case of my 04 Tundra 4-spd versus a 05 Tundra 5-spd auto, the gearing of the 4th gear on the 4-spd is almost identical to the 5th gear of a 5-spd. The extra gear is added in between 2nd and 3rd, where there is the largest gearing gap.
    That's why you got two speed-cam tickets in the mail this summer, and we only got one. LOL

;)
This discussion has been closed.