Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Great Moments in Classic Car Modeling

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet

Comments

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Wow! I am truly impressed. I'd like to see a 1/6 scale classic Corvette built around this amazing little engine along with a transmission and rear.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Wow, that reminded me of a short story that I read many years ago in, (I think), Road & Track. It was about a guy who commisioned a model, to made of his car by a strange, reclusive model maker.

Shortly after he requested the model, his car was stolen, never to be seen again. This made him all the more pleased to finally receive the model, which was accurate to the smallest detail, including flaws that were unique to his personal car.

He was shocked however, when he opened the model's trunk and discovered minature "replicas" of his jacket and briefcase that had been in the actual vehicle when it disappeared. :surprise:

Sorry if off-topic :shades:
    james
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    That's insane, nice workmanship...I wonder what else this guy could build. To me, even those Pocher models seemed way out there.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Rumor has it that some guy is building a miniature, running Ferrari V12.

I have seen two-stroke versions of miniature car engines that run, but this is the first 4-stroke.

check out that little camshaft!!
    I can't imagine machining something like that. That guy could probably do 1000 point engine restorations by himself.
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    I know it's not a model car engine, (although there are a couple of Merlins in road cars), but thought you might like this video clip of a scale RR Merlin engine.

RR Merlin

For the grande finale - never mind making just the engine; make the whole car. Makes the Pocher versions look like kids toys, (they're not - I'm building one). This is just ga ga.

Ferrari 312 PB
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Two amazing videos! Yes, puts my puny model ambitions to shame...

Here are photos of the Merlin's parts: MerlinJPGs
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/sets/72157604247242338/

You can click on "slideshow" to the right of the page and get a good dose of his talent.
    Wow, those are pretty cool, very difficult to tell some of those from actual photos. The obvious ones are given away by lenses in light assemblies and the thickness of chrome trim, especially around windows.
This discussion has been closed.