Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Recalls.

2008car2008car Member Posts: 29
edited October 2019 in Hyundai
Thought you guys want to know

Recall Date:
JUN 19, 2008

Model Affected:
2008 HYUNDAI SANTA FE

Summary:
HYUNDAI IS RECALLING 88,943 MY 2007-2008 HYUNDAI SANTA FE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH P235/60R18 TIRES. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE LABELING REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 110 "TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES." THE BLACK CERTIFICATION LABEL AFFIXED TO THE DRIVER'S SIDE CENTER PILLAR, INCORRECTLY LISTS THE GROSS AXLE WEIGHT RATINGS (GAWR).

Consequence:
OVERLOADING YOUR VEHICLE MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT HANDLING AND BRAKING AND MAY CAUSE TIRE DAMAGE, RESULTING IN TIRE FAILURE AND A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
HYUNDAI WILL MAIL CORRECTED CERTIFICATION LABELS ALONG WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE AFFECTED OWNERS. THE CUSTOMER WILL HAVE THE OPTION FOR DEALERS TO INSTALL THE LABEL FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING AUGUST 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI AT 1-800-633-5151.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
HYUNDAI-KIA AMERICA TECHNICAL CENTER INC 084

Comments

• 2008car2008car Member Posts: 29
    Recall Date:
    FEB 07, 2008

Model Affected:
    2008 HYUNDAI SANTA FE

Summary:
    HYUNDAI IS RECALLING 3,387 TRAILER HITCH WIRING HARNESSES EITHER INCLUDED WITH A TRAILER HITCH OR SOLD AS A SERVICE PART MANUFACTURED BY THULE TOWING SYSTEMS AND DISTRIBUTED BY HYUNDAI FOR INSTALLATION ON MY 2007-2008 SANTA FE AND VERACRUZ VEHICLES. THE ACCESSORY TRAILER HITCH WIRING HARNESS CONVERTER MODULE IS MOUNTED TO THE TOP SURFACE OF THE REAR BUMPER REINFORCEMENT. HIGH CURRENT LEAKAGE OR A SHORT CIRCUIT OF CAPACITOR C1 COULD CAUSE HEAT RELATED DAMAGE TO THE WIRING HARNESS CONVERTER MODULE.

Consequence:
    EXCESSIVE HEAT MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE REAR BUMPER AREA AND MAY POTENTIALLY RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
    HYUNDAI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND WILL REPLACE THE TRAILER HITCH WIRING HARNESS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 31, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI AT 1-800-633-5151.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
    HYUNDAI-KIA AMERICA TECHNICAL CENTER INC 082
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    This was the easiest recall I've ever seen, they sent me a sticker to put on the driver's door center pillar above the existing label that is incorrect.
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Yeah, no big deal, received my notice a few weeks ago. Put on the sticker and good to go. News of this has been out for quite awhile.
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    Isn't it "Santa Fe", I thought for a minute that Hyundai had come out with a new model "The Sonata Fe" but then I realized it was a typo.

Still it is B.S. that Hyundai has reduced my over-all load capacity by just giving me a sticker. With towing a trailer and all the gear it entails, it sure doesn't help to lower it, even by a little bit. Thankfully I didn't use their adapter for my hitch and such, because I'm sure their not paying for all the time to deal with this.
  • panchosantafepanchosantafe Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: ? I HAVE 2007 SANTA FE - 23626 MILES AUTO 4 SPEED TRANS 2.7 LITER

LURCHES FORWARD AFTER ENGAGING INTO DRIVE

WHEN GOING FROM REVERSE OUT OF GARAGE OR TURNING FORWARD AFTER EXITING A PARKING SPOT CAR LURCHES FORWARD SHORTLY AFTER ENGAGING IN TO DRIVE, IT DOES THIS COLD START- AFTER WARMED UP- NO ROUTINE PATTERN- JUST SPONTANEOUS LURCHES.

ANYONE KNOW OF A FIX- DEALER HAS CHECKED IT ABOUT FOR TIMES NOW- CLAIMS COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONDITION- IM THINKING TRANNY- OR ESC - OR SOME OTHER DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENT - IT IS NOT LIKE AN ACCELERATION OUT OF CONTROL - MORE LIKE A SLUGGISH UP SHIFTING?
  • NY_MaverickNY_Maverick Member Posts: 26
    Pancho, there is a full group devoted to transmission issues here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f127d3d/40
  • yolundayolunda Member Posts: 1
    I was driving at 60 mph when all of a sudden the RPM needle jumped from 2 to past 6, the car jerked forward, threw me into the steering wheel, yes, I had my seat belt on, slowed down almost to a crawl and stayed there for awhile, them went back to where I was. This went on for about 30 miles, every 5 miles or so, till I could get to a place where I could stop and pull over safely. I was on a country road with no place to stop and feel safe. I got on the phone with the dealership which is 200 miles away and they told me to bring it in. I am on my way down there today. Has this been a common problem? I have seen where it lurches forward from a parked position, but while driving at 60 mph? I have not used it since this happened, and worry about driving it through the canyon to get back to Tucson.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    is the svc eng light on? I think throttle position sensor is the culprit... tps... or fuel pressure regulator
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    What year & model are you driveing? I had a the same problem with my 2003 santa fe
  • tomg46tomg46 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a new 2009 Sante Fe. Love the vehicle, but the FM radio reception is poor. I have a Mercury and a Honda. Both of those vehicles have great reception. Is there any way to have the reception improved from Hyundai???
  • steve301steve301 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this happen more times then I can count and it is usually while sitting at a light, I think it is the ESC system moving up to align it self and it does scare you when it happens.
  • kdamingerkdaminger Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Has anybody found the culprit behind this ongoing lurching problem? I have a five speed and my car lurches so badly sometimes that I get thrown back and forth behind the wheel. Took I to a dealer and $400 later, the problem is as bad as before. Bring it back, he says. Now we need a $230 part. We told him to forget it. They're just guessing at the problem. Seems to me, enough people have similar problems that Hyundai should be looking in to it. Mine is a 2004 with about 71,000 miles. I bought it used about 8 months ago. The problem is worse when the engine is cold, but it never stops completely. You never know when it's going to happen. It could be in 2nd gear, or in 5th when I'm driving 60 down the highway. It's very dangerous. I'm stuck with the car, since I would never try to sell it to anybody else in this condition, but we could throw money at it til the cows come home and these dealers still wouldn't diagnose and fix the problem. Help!
  • kdamingerkdaminger Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out the cause of your problem? It sounds like mine.
  • 1234693212346932 Member Posts: 33
    years back had same problem, was a sensor on transmission