Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Will The Pursuit Of Fuel Economy Diminish Driving Fun?

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I'm concerned that the answer may be yes, or probably. Why? While I've never driven a Prius or other hybrid, there's generally nothing or very little written about the "fun" factor of driving one of these cars.

I've driven diesel cars in Europe, and they can be fun to drive, but maybe not quite as pleasurable as their gasoline powered counterparts. Why are there no Ferrari or Porsche diesels? Yes, I know there's an Audi diesel super car, but is it as much fun to drive as its petrol counterpart, or is it more of a technological and marketing exercise?

I'm all in favor of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, but wonder if it will come at the expense of driving fun. What are your thoughts on this?

Incidentally, it would have been more correct to word the title of this topic "Will The Pursuit Of Greater Fuel Economy Result In Diminished Driving Fun?", but that title would have been too long.

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I have considered your question and I come up with an answer od probaly yes to begin with. I think one would need to go with models such as Cvivc Si or Evolution to get fun in a small package but the economy is really not there if you are looking for high 20's all-around efficiency.

I know in the distant future electric will be the desired energy and there are systems that have in-wheel electric motors for adequate power to achieve a fun factor.

Regards,
    OW
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    An electric car might perform well, but would be fun in a very different way than a gasoline powered one. For example, the sound and torque characteristics would be very different.
    Absolutely...but check this UK offering out. It's expensive but let the games begin!

Lightning GT

Regards,
    OW
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hey, I think this is a neat discussion, but it will probably get more action in Auto News & Views, and it's probably a better fit there as well, so I'll move it later.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

OK...see you over there!

Regards,
    OW
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Sure, I'll also look for the continuation of this discussion in Auto News & Views.
This discussion has been closed.