Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hakunamhakunam Member Posts: 13
    Can anybody share recent experiences ? What kind of deals to expect, any dealers to consider?
  • ejmmjmejmmjm Member Posts: 26
    my lowest quote to date...all inclusive inluding florida state tax , dealer prep etc. is 40,332. I am waiting for a manufacturers rebate. This dealer gave us a rebate of his own via internet of almost 5,000. Anyway, we are going to wait till 2010 sedans come out.
  • harkyharky Member Posts: 13
    Hi

Do you know when 2010 sedan will be out? I'm currently shopping around for 2009 model, but I don't mind to wait til the manufactures rebate is available for the current 2009 model
    Would like to know that myself. If you find out, please post. thanks. Evelyn
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    The 2010 Genesis should be out between August and September, maybe even July.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a vehicle and ended up with some options by the dealer at little or no extra cost. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Don't disbelieve you, but do you have a source for this?
    source for what...best price so far is lehmann in Miami? is that what you mean?
    I was responding to LASHAWN's post re: when the 2010 was going to be out. Not everyone is responding to your search for a good deal.
    excuse me for misunderstanding
    Here I thought that everyone was responding to me and only me. :-). Anyway, a touch of humor is good in these trying times. Good Luck to you. Sure the 2010 will be tweaked...but we will be happy with 2009 and our cruise to India and SE Asia...chacus a son gout!!
  • ahindistanahindistan Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to buy 2009 Genesis Sedan V6 with Tech package. Assuming I will pay it all in cash, can anyone (preferably from North NJ) to give me an idea what price range would be a great deal?

Is it realistic expecting to pay only tax+title fee on top of say $35K ?

I can wait a couple of months; so could the price drop to that when 2010 come out?
    Hi: Just saw your message. I really do not have the answer. Someone else on this forum answered me that indicated I should not just be looking for a low price, but I disagree..If I wanted to pay high, I could just go right in and buy it. I, too, can wait till 2010 comes out..2009 will be fine for me. Probably when manufacturer puts in rebates, the price will be in the area we both like. However,the problem, I think, is that there were not that many manufactured so choices of color etc. may be limited. But, I certainly think 35 for a V6 is within striking range. We want a V8 so our choices are far more limited. Do you know when 2010 will be out. Thanks and good luck!!
  • ahindistanahindistan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your post... I've been searching web every day to find out a release date but got nothing. I saw some posts in the forums that suggested any date between July and September, nobody seems to know the answer.

2010 is supposed to get 8speed and even better fuel economy but that's pretty much where rumor stops.

Hyundai was targeting to sale 20.000 for this year, which was said to be an aggressive target for a new car entering into the market. But they sold over 11K already. You may be right about that choices but then again it's pretty much luck I guess. I've visited a dealer - Lynnes, East Orange, NJ - and they had 10-15 Genesis mostly with Tech package; maybe when car gets pricier; the more chance dealer has to make money...

Best of luck!
    the title above says it all. If you hear of manufacturer rebate in NJ...let me know as my children live near there and I could fly up and drive it home..and pay sales tax here. my email: themayblums@yahoo.com
    Updates:

Just visited the dealer (Rockland County,NY) today and asked about 2010 releasing date. The sales rep was not really sure but said maybe within 6 months.
    There is no current rebates on the Genesis and no future discounts on the current models according to the sales rep.

The dealer had about 4-5 genesis, mostly V8/ Prem Package. The car looked really nice in and out. I guess I just have to wait little bit more until 2010 models roll out.
    Please send dealers name. I want to send my son. He lives in Westchester and inlaws live in Rockland. If good enough price we will drive it home. Did any have tech package. You can email me: themayblums@yahoo.com
    I went to Hyundai of Nanuet on Route 59.
    Let us hear your feedback when you get the car. Good Luck!
    Contacted another dealer located on RT 1 in Central NJ. I asked for the price of base model w/ no extra options and the availability of the vehicle. The dealer responded w/ so called a special internet price of $31546.00 plus tax, title, doc fee but did not mentioned if the price included manufacture's destination charge. I replied again, specifically asking of the price and if the car is ACTUALLY available in their lot, and if so what is the the color of the vehicle. Once again, they failed to provide any detail info, but only said they have several cars in their stock, I should make an appointment for a test drive, the color I want can be ordered blah,blah,blah.... What a service!! At this point, I didn't even bother to reply again. I guess I 'll try another dealer in my area.
    According to a Hyundai rep., they are targeting "fourth quarter of 2009, if 2009's are gone." Will have to wait and see what happens. Might want to go on Cars.com and Autotrader.com periodically and see what is out there. Some dealers use one of the other and some use neither.
    Since more people will prefer the V6, the V8's may pile up on the lots. Hyundai planned for 80% of sales to be V6's, but that could have changed.
    Thank you carolina bob for your info. Actually we will be in Wrightsville NC for family reunion next week. Really appreciate your keeping us informed. If you find out anything else, do let us know..themayblums@yahoo.com :)
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    I asked for the price of base model w/ no extra options and the availability of the vehicle. The dealer responded w/ so called a special internet price of $31546.00 plus tax, title, doc fee but did not mentioned if the price included manufacture's destination charge.

I can't stand it when a dealer pretends the MSRP is the selling price. I remember some years ago when the Accord had just had a model change and was hot. I asked the salesperson what the car would cost. She stared at me icily and recited the MSRP (thousands over the market price, even at that time). I politely left and bought a Nissan.

Today, it's all the more inexcusable.
    The base price on the 3.8 is $33,000 last time I checked, so a savings of 1,454 is a discount. Also, the destination charge is supposed to be part of the MSRP.
    It is one of the things people learn about car buying. The first quote is frequently MSRP because the sales person, floor manager and sales manager all work on commission. Same with houses. I have received it from Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc.
    Worst one was a Lexus dealer where I spent over two hours on a test drive and discussion in his office. Went home and ran some internet checks, decided on package and called for his asking price. He asked for my fax number and faxed the standard MSRP print out for the car with the package listing to me. No follow-up phone call or contact. That is probably why I ended up in an Azera.
    Also because of toll free numbers, e-mails and internet sales, many sales people don't deal until you show up or talk really serious over the phone.
    E-mailed another dealer today, but once again, they were playing a game w/ me. No price was given,nor the availability of the actual vehicles, instead they wanted me to visit and discuss the price blah blah blah... I was really frustrated, so I e-mailed local Acura dealer for TL. Wow.. What a service!! They provided me a categorized sales price w/ all the detailed information regarding TTL, trade-in value, Doc fees etc. Exactly what I wanted from HYUNDAI. So, I made an appointment, test drove and signed the contract. This was one of the most stress-free deals I ever experienced in car buying!! I was treated w/ RESPECT through out the visit and no hassle, no extra fees, no aggressive sales rep and got a better deal than the originally agreed.
    If HYUNDAI wants to compete against those big boys, the company really needs to do something about their dealers. Too bad, HYUNDAI.. They making a great cars, but the dealer services need to be overhauled. Remember, I contacted at least 3 dealers in my area, so I'm not trying to be bias or anything.
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    Unfortunately I don't think you can rely on any dealership when comes to communication on the internet. To many games are played by both parties.

If you want a serious offer you need to go in person and if it is not to your liking then walk away.

Internet is fantastic for information and knowledge.
    Unfortunately I don't think you can rely on any dealership when comes to communication on the internet

Not really. That's what I thought on any dealership. But, my deal w/ Acura was totally through the internet. Price they offered me on the internet was price I paid (actually slightly less)
    I contacted an MB dealer re: 09 E class and he called and left message that I could get a 57,500K one for less than 46K. When I called, he checked with sales manager and they dropped it another 1,500 and said they might go lower once I show up since it was a 2 hour drive.
    Great price, but wish it was a bit better car - more features. That is one area where the Genesis really outshines the Prestige brands - many more features.
    E350 doesn't even have engine immobilizer or back up camera with the navigation.
    I think a lot depends on the dealership-see my post earlier re: Lexus - and how hungry they are. Acura is selling really poorly in this area, except for MX and TSX.
  • rk2469rk2469 Member Posts: 30
    They aren't pretending anything. They can tell you whatever they want to tell you. It's your job as a customer to figure out the rest. The person who "stared at me icily" does that to everybody. Why take things so personally? Why be offended so easily?

Really, who cares if she stares you like that.

"The nurse stared at me icily, so I didn't take the meds that she gave me." Ooops.. you might die there. We are all adults, aren't we?
  • rk2469rk2469 Member Posts: 30
    where the 1,454 discount from?

thanks.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    While waiting for my wife in the parking lot outside of a dealership the sales manager approached me. We started chatting about the Genesis and he said it was a 'better car' than my Avalon and I should take a test drive. I told him that may be so but I could not afford a Genesis but he was not convinced. Then he made me an offer I couldn't refuse--$800 below invoice, for any Genesis on the lot. Still, I walked away feeling that I left a good deal on the table but on the other hand I like my Avalon which has been flawless with great MPG to boot.
    where in NC was this. We will be in NC in about 12 days. But, think they are giving more off invoice in south florida. :)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    This was at Clay Chevy/Hyundai in Boston.
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    Don't take anybody's word for it........ Just test drive the Genesis.......it will speak for itself....Its that great of an automobile!!!!
    We just paid 41,400 out the door including tax, dealer prep, etc. in delray beach florida. Tax here is 6.5 percent. Noone here came near that price that we paid at all...Would have driven to Islip and visited our friends and driven home for that price.. We are realtors here and they bought a house from us and we became friends.. Did your price include tax et al and etc. Just curious. Let us know..My son is in NY and may want one. OUr dealer here in delray beach was fabulous and we looked all over se florida before going to him...if you want his name, please give us a private email. themayblums@yahoo.com...we really appreciated his effort.
  • jdmonkey69jdmonkey69 Member Posts: 1
    Just had the best possible dealership experience. Bought my first Hyundai ever.

3.8 Genesis Coupe (base 3.8 model)
    + Automatic
    + Carpet floor mats
    + Ipod cable

MSRP: $27,375
    Invoice: $25,745

I always do my car shopping online. Get quotes, select the best price (always comparing off-the-lot costs, and then only call/visit the dealer once the deal is basically done. This is the fourth car I've purchased this way. For the most part, I completely avoid all the dealership BS...not that they don't usually try something.

No BS in this last deal. I had been receiving quotes from various dealers over the past two days. The best I had was an offer for $25,600 (base price, not off-the-lot). Even though I repeatedly asked, they would not provide details about other fees, and I couldn't get an off-the-lot price.

Then along comes an email from Route 44 Hyundai out of Raynham, MA. I had asked for a quote a couple of days earlier, and was just now receiving a reply. Their offer:

$24,875 ($900 less than invoice)
    +$169 VIN etching
    +$100 Registration
    +$1242.25 5% MA Sales tax (I got the sale in 36 hours shy of the bump to 6.25% tax!)
    +$248 dealer fee

Total off the lot: $26,604.25

A no-brainer. I had to drive 45 minutes to get to Raynham, but it was well worth it. I was in and out of the dealership in 2 hours, starting from the second I walked in, the test drive, and the paperwork, and driving off the lot with my new Genesis Coupe. It would have been probably 30-45 minutes quicker, however the show room was swamped and each salesman had 2-3 customers each...all of whom were buying cars.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Why not make an offer that you like to the dealer you prefer, with the car you want?

What's the worst they'll say? NO!

If you want to get to a purchase price, make an offer. You've got nothing to lose.

I'm not a car sales person, by the way.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large newspaper reporter is looking to speak to consumers who went from owning a luxury car (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, etc.) to a premium non-luxury vehicle recently. If you purchased the vehicle using the Cash for Clunkers program, please let me know as well. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, August 5.
  • in_power2002in_power2002 Member Posts: 21
    I was thinking the Genesis is nice for the price but the crazy discounted Mercedes pricing on the E series made me have to get the German car. I was able to get the Genesis with Premium Plus for $33K. I picked up the E350 no add ons for $34K.

To me, that's essentially the same price for these 2 cars. For those who have driven both cars, considering they're about the same cost, would you choose the Genesis? It's surprising that the Genesis doesn't have power passenger seat but it's also surprising that the E350 doesn't have leather seats.

I guess if I was looking at a V8, there's more of a price difference, $5K. That'd make me think a bit harder before pulling the trigger on an E550.

Extremely happy with my new car. :)
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    The E is a great car at a great price, but I don't like the warranty. Also, parts and service are exceedingly expensive for German cars.

At that price, If Mercedes had better reliability and warranty, I would prefer the E350 to the Genesis, but it would be very close.
  • jakovjakov Member Posts: 6
    Where did you get Benz E350 for $34K, was it new? Thx
    Are you talking an 09 E350?
    I looked at them last week and with all the MB deals and dealer discounts, it still came to 43,700 on a base car. For one with the PO1 package, which is really needed, it came to 45K.
    The main turn-off for me though was what the E350 does NOT have. Compare E350 w/PO1 to Genesis 3.8 with tech and it is a long list. EG: rear camera, parking sensors, ventilated driver's seat, xenon lights W/AFS, and then compare costs to own and maintain. You can get some of these, but they are individual options and are hard to find and costly if you do.
    Would like to own an E350, but MB needs to work on their features and pricing.
    Would like to own an E350, but MB needs to work on their features and pricing.

Would also like to own an E350, but MB needs to work on their price, warranty, and reliability. MB has fallen way behind, and have a long way to go to catch up.
    Guess there's good comparison going on between these 2 cars. For those asking where I got such a good price, I didn't go to any dealers and haggle all day to get them down to the price. I'm a USAA member where I used their buying service. Pulled up car config on their website and went to the dealer they told me to go to with price pre-negotiated.

The dealers are running out of the 2009 E350s it seems. Where I purchased mine, as long as I liked black they had a car for me. I wanted NAV but they were all out of those.

It's good to know some people would still choose the Genesis over an E350 if they were the same price. We have options and one car doesn't fit all desires. I'm hoping reliability with the E350 is good. The people on the MB boards say the later model years have become much more reliable, now that MB has rid itself of the Chrysler baggage.

I was considering the Genesis for the price/value. I would have paid $40K for my E350 but don't think I would for much more than that. For $34K, it was an easy decision for me.
    Agree with you regarding the electronics. We've also got a Lexus IS350 and there are more creature comfort electronics in it. I care about the parts which count - engine, transmission, suspension.

I've got an older Accord where the electronic parts have started failing and I'm sure more will. Window motor, LCD clock, alarm system and a radio preset button that's tempermental. I assume anything electronic may fail.
    Have tried my USAA membership on Lexus and got a good offer (not that good though), but I would have to drive 150 miles past three other Lexus dealers to get it. Don't know about MB, but there are fewer of those around.
    As for MB reliability, it has nothing to do with Chrysler as it has been an issue for many years on cars built in Germany with 100% MB components. This is the first year in a long time the Consumer Reports recommended an MB (the E class for one). For years, they recommended no MB models due to reliability issues.
    Let's hope MB really is going to be reliable for years to come.
    Let's hope MB really is going to be reliable for years to come.

Yes, Let's hope. What a waste of a perfectly nice car. Cost of ownership over 5-10 years is astronomical. Fix the poor warranty and the gremlins, and you have a great car that I would enjoy owning.
  • hparmarhparmar Member Posts: 4
    hi sunnynj

could you email me and tell me whats the name of the dealer and sales person n all i don't live too far from the place and would like to see if i can get a similar deal. Thanks for your help email harvindersparmar@yahoo.com
  • hparmarhparmar Member Posts: 4
    oompah1003- can you give me the details of the salesmen and what to ask for. I am looking for the v6 but at that price would consider the v8 with tech package. I don't live too far from islip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at harvindersparmar@yahoo.com

Thanks
  • trigger777trigger777 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for the V-8 with Tech package. Local Dealer here in Alabama has an MSRP of $42,000 and $45,000 after all admin charges.

Has anyone paid less than $38,000?

What is the invoice on this model?

Thanks for the help!
  • markm3000markm3000 Member Posts: 1
    Could you please tell me which dealership you purchased your 3.8 Genesis from?

Did you find it to be an easy buying experience overall?
    Any advice in dealing with Hyundai salesreps or other buying tips?