Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• retryretry Member Posts: 1
    Putchased a new 2012 Genesis Tech V6 (Twilight Blue/Cashmere) yesterday. Included the mud guards, sunroof deflector, and complete Wing badge kit. Paid $33,950 before TT&L. The dealer was Homer Skelton Hyundai, Olive Branch, MS. They also had a 2012 Gray/Black Tech V6 for the same price. No more black interiors for me living this far south. The sales experience went fine except I've got to take it back in for an XM issue (no signal). It was a 95 mile drive home from the dealer. No remorse so far. The heavy metal flake Blue Pearl paint is absolutely stunning in the sunlight.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I purchased my 2012 Genesis V6 with Prem/Tech including mudflaps, sunroof deflector and complete wing kit for $36k after tttl on Dec. 1st. I got the Platinum Silver w/saddle interior, and has been a dream to drive. Purchased from Hilton Head Hyundai in Hardeeville, SC and the sales experience was excellent.
  • sdizdabestsdizdabest Member Posts: 5
    What was your price before tax - can you please post the breakdown?
  • chris7676chris7676 Member Posts: 3
    I just upgraded my 2008 Azera Limited with 175k to a red 2010 4.6 /Tech Pkg with 35k. I got it for $22,500 which I thought was a great deal. It also came with mud flaps and the sun roof wind deflector. The Azera was the best car I have ever owned, so it was an easy decision to upgrade to a Genesis. The feature that I have enjoyed the most is the smart cruise control. I hardly ever used cruise control on my Azera even though I drive a lot on the highway, so it surprised me how much I have used the adaptive cruise control.
    Soon as I get a moment and get my paperwork, I'll post them.
  • robribasrobribas Member Posts: 3
    on the other post, people were saying these two don't compare at all, but for me, i just prefer the accord.
    1. mpg. I got near 40 mpg on the highway to LA from Phoenix this week on the accord, I would have been hard pressed to beat 25 on my 2010 4.6 genesis.
    2. folding rear seat. I had to change with my gf honda civic every time I wanted to carry anything long. Ridiculous that the gennie seat doesn't fold down.
    3. feel of the drive. the honda just feels tighter, while the gennie performed admirably, it floated way too much on bumps, and felt too much like a big car... just not my cup o tea. The new accord drives more or less like a smaller car: tighter, feels more responsive.
    4. tech. the honda KILLS the genesis in tech. my phone pandora auto streams to the cars audio. the doors unlock when i reach for them, ditto the trunk. This is especially handy as yo uapproach the car with a big load of groceries in your hand, or your dog on a lease. the 3 views on backup camera, especially the wide view are a blessing when backing out of a space next to an SUV. collision avoidance alarm is a nice plus too. To me, the genesis radar guided cruise control needed too much monitoring to really use much, it would hit the breaks when I would have just let the car cutting in front of me pull away...
    5. I was going to need tires, and 19's were going to be pricey.
    6. 200 less to insure a year for the new honda.
    7. possible serious value drop when the newer model comes out later this year...
    what I will miss?
    1. cooled driver seat.
    2. Nav. the map was nice to look at, though address entry couldn't have sucked worse if they tried. I had quit using it to look up addresses or stores, instead using my google phone which actually worked. but it was handy to see upcoming steet names.
    3. the car looked awesone. everybody thought it was a bently, since i had it badged.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    I agree with you. the New Accord is a better buy. I would think after hyundai upgrades the outdated Genesis with new tech features and a 8 speed trans plus some upgrading inside car it will be back on top for best entry luxury bang for the buck.

I also choose the 2013 Accord exl v-6 over the genesis for alot of reasons you mentioned.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

You and everyone else is right, they don't compare. These are 2 different classes of vehicles, Honda(midsize FWD) and Genesis(large size RWD). Besides, if really think about it, you traded your Genesis for another Genesis. To me they both look alike, every time I see a 13 Accord I think I'm looking at an 09-11 Genesis until I get closer to it.
    If the hyundai makes the 2014 genesis awd and goes to the 8 spd trans with some minor improvement in the tech/ and interior dept it will be a no brainer to buy/ lease. i just hope they dont ruin the shape when they redesign or freshening up this model.

i bought the 13 accord exl v-6 but i would upgrade to the 2014 genesis if they could improve the outdated model . Genesis is still a great car imho. The Audi A/ S 6 is the car to buy right. Its the total package. I also loved the A7 what a sharp car/ suv.

• sonicendeavorsonicendeavor Member Posts: 2
    The 2013 Audi A6 is very nice, but from a price standpoint they don't compare. The 5 year cost of ownership of a similarly equipped A6 (according to Intellichoice) is approximately $20,000 higher than the Genesis. Add that to the $10,000+ higher purchase price for a similarly equipped A6, and you're looking at a $30,000 plus difference between the two over 5 years.
    edited March 2013
    your probably close but your numbers are on the higher end about both cars price wise.... Resale is much better on the Audi.. the new audi is worth the dime. better car all around.. they dont compare. i drove it and loved it.. I want to see how the new redesign geny looks and see how they upgrade it before making that plunge. the only draw back with the audi is size i'm 6'1 245.
    My friend has the 2011 genesis and i think its a nice car with a great sound system. handling is okay. Needs updating.

the Equis is the car you would try to compare the Audi, A/S6 BMW 5,7 and MB E series not the Genesis,

the Genesis was and ahead of its time 5 yrs ago with its price and entry level luxury and features. No longer a though in this market.

• stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
    I have some interest in the 2013 Genesis 3.8 w/prem/tech pkg in the northeast but, prices seem to vary widely.
    With the various rebates, I've got a price of $34K +TTL but, not my preferred color combo, so far.
    What should I expect to pay and what credit score is required for 2.9% for 72mos
    MSRP $44,195 and the rebates appear unchanged as of 5/1
    TIA
    The Accord exl v-6 is a better buy for the money right now. I would wait for the redesign 2014 genesis model late this year. The car needs updating. Tech and front wheel drive options, 8 speed trans are just a few things on the way for this model in 2014.

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2013
    The Genesis has had an 8 speed transmission since 2012. Mercedes, Rolls, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, etc, the finest cars in the world, all have rear wheel drive. Why in the world would Genesis want to go to front wheel drive? Front wheel drive is CHEAPER to build, that's why lesser cars use it.

On the other hand, all wheel drive may be an option in the new Genesis.
    edited May 2013
    YOU are correct..
    i meant to say all wheel drive .The new Genesis model will offer it.

Hmmm?

My sisters score is 650(not sure which CRA) but, the dealer claims a close relationship with HFS and can get her the promo rate, implying other dealers cannot PUSH an approval.
    Is this credible? Should she expect "hidden fees"? Do some Hyundai dealers have more authority with finance?
  • dclivedclive Member Posts: 35
    $10,000 off (almost 25% off!) on a loaded 3.8 Genesis sounds unbelievable!

Around here I'm seeing $6500 off total, after a $1500 competitive upgrade, $1000 finance-with-Hyundai offer, and $4000 in dealership incentives.

"Here" is Texas.
    You have to remember the 2014 Genesis will be redesigned and updated. This new make over Genesis will be out at the end of the year. The outdated/ outgoing model will be priced to sell.

You will get a great deal on a 2013 after the summer. Dealers will be dying to clear there lots and inventory to make room for the 2014. Hyundai discounts big time on there vehicles.

• nychoinychoi Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy 2013 Genesis 3.8 w/prem/tech pkg in NY. My target price is $34,000 before TT&L. I will buy it with cash. Is my target price fair, high, or low? I would like to hear your buying experience!
    $34,000 seems possible since they aren't moving much inventory, sister is waiting till 6/29 or 6/30.
    NJ dealers seem to offer the most aggressive pricing in the NY Metro area
  • tcooltcool Member Posts: 2
    I assume that I should target $32K for just the premium package without technology? Is that seems to be a reasonable offer in the DFW area?
  • fstephensfstephens Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like you need to use the EDMUNDS new car pricing services or the TRUECAR . COM site. Prices are much better (be sure and update the INCENTIVES and you will truly be surprised at the guaranteed prices). This printout is very good for those dealerships that promise to beat all competing deals.

When I look at the pricing and the depreciation rates, a 2011 GENESIS 4.6L with under 40K miles seems to be what I am going to get; either certified or with an extended warranty. The extended bumper to bumper warranty seems to be a much better deal than the Certified option.

I plan to never buy a NEW CAR again, unless I can get it for less than a 2 year old used model with extended bumper to bumper warranty.
  • robribasrobribas Member Posts: 3
    you don't even need the v6! the new direct injection 4 cylinder has plenty of power, and sounds awesome.
    Sorry Rob i have to disagree with you. The 4cyl is peppy but not fast at all. The V-6 with almost 280hp is alot more fun to drive and sounds alot better When i step on the gas pedal. You cant compare the 4cyl to 6cyl.. Its night and day. I went from 60 to about 90mph in seconds on the hwy yesterday.

• tcooltcool Member Posts: 2
    Got mine over the weekend for $32.6K after TTL on a brand new 2013 Genesis Sedan with premium package. I test drive the Sonata at first but it was very weak compared to the Camry. The 2.0 Limited has a little more power and fun to drive but nowhere compare to the Genesis...no choking no noise and smooth acceleration. It was an easy decision for me to upgrade to the Genesis for a couple more thousands.
  • dclivedclive Member Posts: 35
    tcool:

Please post your price for 2013 Gen Sedan + Premium WITHOUT tax. Tax is a big variable, and when added to the price, makes comparisons useless. Thanks!

Please include any other dealer fees or costs, just NOT tax and NOT any state-based or city-based DMV registration/etc. fees that don't go to the dealer.
  • craig1212craig1212 Member Posts: 20
    Hi,
    I am currently shopping around for a 2013 Genesis Sedan with Premium and Tech packages. This forum is very interesting and helpful, so thanks!

Has anyone purchased a similar vehicle in the NY Metro area in the past few months? I ask because the best prices I am getting are @ $36,000 w/o TTL.

Willing to travel to CT/NJ/PA...

Best,
    Chris
    C1212,

If there are no bogus "dealer fees", $36K is pretty good depending on what incentives you qualify for, you might be able to shave off another $1K or so.
    BEWARE of the "Brad Benson Business Model" dealers, or my personal favorite "Inland Freight"...$1K...driving car from the storage lot to the dealer!
  • minus200minus200 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased (2 days ago) a base model 3.8 for $27,900. Several rebates including the military $500. I was skeptical of the $1000 rebate for financing with Hyundai but it was real and the rate was 1.9%. Just a day earlier I was quoted 2.0% for a credit union and I thought that was a good rate. I am happy with the car so far (230 miles) and satisfied with the price.

My brother has purchased (although paper work not done) one with the premium package and with trade it is more difficult to be exact with the "cash" price but my estimate would be between $31,300 and $31,700 for his black on black model. The were both purchased from a dealer in Pensacola, Fl although we both live in Mobile, Al. The dealers here were a oke
  • minus200minus200 Member Posts: 6
    I dont think there is going to be a 2014 model. It looks as if they will show (introduce ) the 2015 model at the Detroit Auto show early next year. I dont know if the car will be "on the street" by then- There are numerous "early looks" articles all over the net
  • bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    I just purchased a used 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. Car had 6,300 miles on it. I found it at Kernersville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Kernersville, NC (85 miles north of Charlotte). It was the second cheapest used 2013 within 1,000 miles. I paid $37,700 for it. It is certified. I traded in a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with Advance Package. I LOVE the car so far. The dealership was absolutely packed (Saturday) but they were willing to help. Not much negotiating since they were already cheaper than anyone else around, but I knew that going in and you have to be reasonable. Gave me a good price for my trade, no haggling there either. I walked in the dealership around 3:45 and didn't leave until almost 8 PM. Had to wait roughly 2 hours for them to get to my financing paperwork because there were so many people in there. I didn't mind as my wife and I had a great conversation with our sales person and the used car manager while we waited. I'm getting the trunk and wheel wing emblems installed today!
    edited August 2013
    Good job on your deal. please post back after a couple of weeks. I want your read on that cars ride , handling , wind noise at high speeds and gas mileage.
    I really am considering buying the 2015 genesis when its avail next summer. i chose the accord V-6 over the 13 genesis. the new Accord i felt was a better buy then the aging genesis. What i dont like about the Accord is its to small inside for me and the recline on the seat gets lower instead of just straight back. Everything else with the new accord is a home run. My youngest daughter who graduates college after 6 long years in jan. w/ her masters degree will be surprised about her new Accord and graduating present.

• geniussillygeniussilly Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am considering 2013 Genesis 3.8 base model. I think price will be cheaper because new, fully changed model will be on market next year. Anyway, my target price is 26k (impossible?)

One question. I searched fair purchase price for this car is 28 - 29k, depending on incentives. However, I click the reality check button, fair price is changing to 25-27k. Is this normal? Then what is real fair price?
  • scwells72scwells72 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2013
    Two weeks ago I bought a brand new 5.0 R-Spec (White/Cashmere) for $39.7K (less trade-in value) + TT&L with 1.9% financing for 60 months. I bought the car from Roger Beasley Hyundai in Kyle, TX (just south of Austin). The Round Rock dealer offered the same price, but I live in south Austin so I went with the closer dealership.

There was a potentially lower price in Houston ($37.7K), but the dealership seemed really shady and I didn't want to spend an entire day driving over there and back just to find out the deal wasn't legitimate.

That seems like a great price on a heck of a lot of car! My wife and I took the car on a weekend road trip and it was extremely comfortable and fun to drive.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,548
    The $39.7K was before or after your trade in value was applied? What was the MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2013
    Here are my thoughts after a few weeks of ownership. Frankly, I'm pissed I ever bought the car I had before this car (2012 Acura TL-SHAWD w/ Adv pkg). This is such a better car and I actually paid $1,000 LESS for the Genesis than the TL. The ride is so much smother at all speeds, handling is tighter, and my god the low end torque is addictive! I punched it going 40 and the downshift to 2nd gear felt like someone punched me in the back! The transmission is much smoother shifting than my Acura was. Car is quieter than the Acura at all speeds (only had it up to about 85, I know, shameful!). Much better navi system and lots of options that I couldn't even get on the Acura like rain sensing wipers, adaptive lighting, lane departure warning, radar cruise, power folding side mirrors and power rear sunshade. I feel like I got 50% more car for less money. Gripes? I wish the steering wheel was a little thicker and I wish there was a little more head room, but I'm 6'5" so that's to be expected. Also the backup camera is pretty crappy compared to the HD camera in my TL. Overall I am thrilled with the car. And the best part? Watching the look on peoples faces when I tell them it's a Hyundai:)
    Alot of car for the money. I want to wait til next yr to see the updated re-modeled version as a 2015 before buying. At 6'1 and ahalf i know the feeling in some of these cars.. Enjoy..... tks for posting back

edited October 2013
    $39.7K was my price independent of trade-in value. I got a 2013 R-Spec with mud guards (which I had them remove) and cargo tray, so MSRP is $47,890.

I traded in a 2010 G37S 6MT with low mileage (~25K) and significant equity. They gave me a decent trade-in offer for the car (about $1K less than I'd have wanted, but close enough given the great price on the new car), so with the 1.9% financing on the difference, I have a crazy low payment on a pretty tremendous amount of car!

I'd love to say that I'm a super negotiator, but their initial quote via email was just over $40K, and with one additional email exchange we landed on $39.9K. Round Rock beat that by $200 to try to get my business, but then Beasley met Round Rock and was 20 miles closer to my house. That's how I got to $39.7K + TT&L. Pretty easy!

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Thanks for the details, Scott.

So, in reality, it was $39.7 - equity from trade in + TT&L.

Or did you simply take a check from the dealer for the equity in your G37?

Either way, seems like you got a great deal on a car you love.

Happy motoring!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michael, it was $39.7K - trade-in-equity + TT&L. I used the equity (trade-in value - payoff) to lower the tax basis of the Genesis. I might have gotten more in a private party sale, but the tax savings probably canceled that out for the most part, and it certainly simplified the transaction considerably.
    Perfect!

Sorry to ask for all of the clarification, but I wanted to make sure everyone who reads this forum knows what price to shoot for if they are in the market for a similar car.

And yes, the tax savings (in those states where it is offered) often outweighs any potential monetary gain from a private sale.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• pbblimppbblimp Member Posts: 6
    I found a dealership that still has 2012's (new) for sale. I offered $33k flat, which after hardly any effort they accepted. (I should've offered less.) The only further fees are tax, title, registration. They are also wanting a $200 doc fee, which is ridiculous, but I'll pay it if 33k sounds like a good deal for the 4.6. If not, I'll keep looking to scoop an older (new) model.

Thanks!
    Anyone at all? Opinions?
    edited October 2013
    If your new 2012 model is Stolen or Totaled in a Accident what is the book value on a 2 year old genesis. That is the real question.. Once you find out that price you will know if 33k is a good offer. I personally think for 30,000 would be a real good deal if you could get it. 33k is much to high on this vehicle.

Dealer retail for a 2012 certified is 30,995

Trade in ....................................26,692

private party...............................29,082

I pulled these prices of the Edmunds site.

Thanks, Brian. Not at all the answer I was hoping for, but I do appreciate the honesty. I had thought I scored a good deal. As I have not bought it yet, I'm off the hook; however, disappointing nonetheless.
    edited October 2013
    At some point dealer will clear that car off his lot. Check prices from nada and galves.. Alot of dealer use it for pricing. Make a low ball offer for the 2012 to see how much dealer will really take for this vehicle. There is no benefit at 33k for a 2012 when you could get a 2013 for 40k with incentives and rebates.

Brian, I'm feeling a little dumb because I'm not sure I see your point. When you say "there is no benefit at 33K for a 2012 when you could get a 2013 for 40K," I think to myself: There's a huge benefit -- 7 thousand smackers in my pocket! :-)

Maybe it would help if I explained my purchase frame of mind better. I'm not very interested in resale value, because I plan on hanging onto it until it's barely worth anything. Also, I'd be buying with cash, so $7K is quite a difference out of my bank account; whereas if I financed, it wouldn't be a huge jump in the monthly payment.

I hope I don't sound snarky. I appreciate that you're offering advice. I'm just flinching hard from the price difference! :-D

One other thing: When you say I could get a 2013 for 40K, are you referring to the R-Spec or a loaded 3.8? Even if you do mean the R-Spec, I don't think I could talk myself into pulling another $7K out of savings for it. It's probably going to look pretty dated in a few months if the new model is released, and then I'd feel even lousier for having spent more money to obtain it.
    You made some good points about keeping car. The new redesign wont be out til late 2014 offered as a 2015 model.

A loaded 3.8 for sure under 40 k the r-spec about 3k or more.

If money is the issue then take your time and wait for your best possible deal. if there is no time factor by waiting til 2014, jan you will see better pricing on the 2012 models..

Yeah, if there are any 2012 4.6L's on the lots by Jan 2014, I can only imagine the fire sale at that time. I'd probably offer $27K for kicks and see what happens.

On the bright side, I can stop shopping for a winter tire and wheel package for the 4.6L Genny, as it seems pretty sure I won't be buying right now.

Thanks again for your perspectives, Brian. They helped to cool me down and avoid paying too much.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Just in case anyone is interested, here is some info and a few spy pics of the 2015 Genesis

http://wot.motortrend.com/2015-hyundai-genesis-tech-auto-braking-a-better-trunk-- opener-420343.html