Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Vue Transmission Problems

Comments

• walt79walt79 Member Posts: 4
    I guess your dealing with nucar? You are correct for the miss to be that bad to cause a shudder it would be more then one cylinder under recall they have to try the reflash first then if it is still present they should replace the coverter. I delt with dell chevrolet in paoli and that was after i got an ok from general motors, the service manager and staff there where very helpful. The problem with most dealers is they dont want to do this it is very labor involved cause the whole drive train has to come out and they only get paid not even half of the hours they have into it. I know it took them a good bit of 25 hours to do the job and i think the warrenty time that they got paid was 10 hours.
  • gmstinksgmstinks Member Posts: 4
    I would recommend purchasing something that has nothing to do with GM. I was also told that I could have $5000 credit towards a new car but why on earth would I want another vehicle that they are not going to stand behind when it has problems. GM is a dirty company and I will have nothing further to do with them. My Saturn Vue took its last breath a couple weeks ago and I will likely be calling the junk yard to come pick it up soon.
  • dgomezdgomez Member Posts: 12
    I totally agree with you on not buying GM, but I was desperate and tried to use the 5k which proved to be an impossible feat anyway. 1. You have to be the purchaser or have the purchaser live in the same household. In my situation, I tried to have mother take out the loan but she doesnt live with me, so I was unable to get the 5k). 2. The dealership told me the 5k takes about 5 months to get funded, so the GM dealer suggested I pay the 5k upfront and try to get the money from GM after purchasing the car. Yeah right. 3. I was only given 30 days to do buy. Confusing? Yes, they dont make it easy to get the $ anyway. I ended up trading in my Vue that is still running but the trans is slipping, for $1,500 and buying a used VW Jetta, that is beautiful. I think its unethical to trade in a car that belongs in the junkyard, but I had no choice and hopefully, VW will just sell to someone for parts. I dont feel great about it, but my saga is coming to a close which is nice. Good Luck to all! I really did love my Vue.
  • wvega5wvega5 Member Posts: 7
    HELP... I have a 2004 Saturn VUE and the transmission suddenly and without notice died and left my 16 year old son stranded. My local GM dealership is telling me that I can pay $5000 for a new transmission or scrap the car for $600. When I researched this, I see that there was a class action lawsuit against Saturn for this problem, but my GM dealership is telling me that my car is under no recall or warranty. As I've researched this further, it makes me sick to my stomach that GM can seemingly just ignore this issue with one of their brands. Is this legal? Is this ethical? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might handle this in order to get a favorable outcome? I'm a reasonable person, but it really just seems flat wrong that GM can walk away from a known issue / problem with one of their brands! HELP!!!
  • stossmannstossmann Member Posts: 1
    Could you please tell me where you saw the $5,000 credit toward a new car? I am interested in taking advantage of this offer, but cannot find anything other than blog posts.
  • mcbaker16mcbaker16 Member Posts: 4
    It was actually GM. We spoke with them about 1.5 years back. Also, check this forum by searching money back and it should come up. Sorry I could not be more help. I have since dumped the saturn because it was a money pit !
  • dgomezdgomez Member Posts: 12
    HI,

I would call GM directly and ask about the deal. The number to GM is mentioned many times in these threads and they also monitor these conversations. If you meet the criteria, you should be able to get the 5k.

Good luck!
  • mafaymafay Member Posts: 1
    Wow! We had the exact same thing happen just last night on the coldest night Chicago has seen in 2 years. Our 2004 Saturn Vue suddenly and without notice also stopped and left our 17 year old son stranded. We are facing the same problem. Were you able to get anywhere fighting GM?
    This is a terrible thing. I'm thinking why replace it if can just happen again in another year or two?
    Our 2004 had 104,000 miles and after much search on the web and discussions with my local Chevy Dealership that is now servicing Saturn's, they are holding firm that there is no relief available on this. My options are to scrap the car and get about $700 from a junkyard or pay $5000 for them to put a new transmission in the car. I just yesterday opted to have them put a new transmission in the car because otherwise, the car was in great shape and my son loved it. The new transmission also comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.
    I would suggest you contact your local dealership and have them enter the vehicle VIN in their system along with vehicle mileage to see if they come up with anything different than me.
    I'm not very happy about the way this is being handled by GM / Saturn and am doing the only thing i can which is tell everyone i know about this plus i will NEVER buy another GM product. Ultimately I just don't trust them to back their products! VERY UNETHICAL in my book!
    Let me know if you come up with anything different... Good luck!
  • addidas40addidas40 Member Posts: 14
    The same exact thing happened to us and we only had approx 86,000 miles. GM was sued over the Vti transmissions that were put into certain Vues and Ions for being defective. GM lost the lawsuit but filed bankruptcy and were no longer obligated to cover any damages. They offered us 5000.00 credit torward a new vehicle but we could not and would not invest any more of our money in another GM vehicle. Be careful getting a new transmission because the replacement transmission that was being used for these cars is made by Honda. There have been numerous complaints and problems with it. The Vti transmission cannot be rebuilt because of the defect. We opted to trade in the Vue for a used Toyota rather than invest $5000.00 in a car made by GM. Good luck.
  • robertahrobertah Member Posts: 1
    I am passionately considering another Class Action suit against GM. My daughter bought a used 2003 Saturn Vue in 2009, from a reputable car dealership. Now, after having the transmission go out completely and not knowing about the prior Class Action suit it only stands to reason that the next owners of these vehicles take action. Taking a ten thousand dollar loss for a vehicle after only owning it for less then three years is unacceptable. I have worked in the Auto Industry for thirty years and know that GM is still liable. In stead of putting the six gran into replacing the transmission I prefer to invest in an Attorney.
  • damclm174damclm174 Member Posts: 3
    hi i just bought a 2002 Saturn vue with 116,000 miles and transmission is stuck i can feel it go into reverse and move ,but not for long and the same thing in drive ,it feels like the emergency break is on ,but its not ,... can some one please tell me how to go about letting
    GM: know about this, i am not a happy camper .. and where i can get a new rebuilt one ..or get a rebuild kit and manual to do the rebuilding on the transmission.. help me some one !
  • ike77ike77 Member Posts: 3
    Good luck, I had a similar issue which I previously wrote about. I had to replace my transmission on my 2003 Vue. It had 78,000 miles when it had to be replaced. Saturn was willing to provide a 5k credit toward a new vehicle. Refused to assist with the cost of the 5k I spent on a new transmission. I think it is a disgrace that GM is not doing more to resolve these issues with this faulty transmission.
    I agree, it's crazy to think that GM is able to get away with walking away from this problem. As I've mentioned before, if they are not going to stand behind their product, then I'll do the only thing I can, which is to NEVER buy another GM product and tell anyone who will listen about my issue and to suggest they not buy GM either. How can you trust them?
    If you do move forward, please keep me posted. Ever since I initially posted my transmission problems, there have been many others follow with similar stories. I'm sure you'd have alot of interest. At this point I paid the $5000 to replace my transmission and feel totally taken advantage of. How can GM not stand behind their product when this is a known and well documented issue?!
    I called around and asked many experts about rebuilding the Saturn VUE transmission and no one would touch it! It is near impossible to rebuild without the risk of similar issues in short order. Most recommended a new transmission or just junking the car! Can't believe that GM is just walking away / ignoring this known defect in one if their products. I will NEVER buy GM again. How can you trust them???
    this is not ok..... i don't have the money to just buy another transmission !!!
    GM U NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM WITH THE SATURN VUE!! IT'S NOT OK TO MAKE US PAY MORE THEN WE CAN HANDLE , IN THIS TIME IN AGE WHERE MONEY IS A ISSUSE !!!!WE R ALL HURTING SO GM HELP US TO FIX WHAT U DID....OR REPLACE IT WITH A NEWER ........
  • tarae1960tarae1960 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Vue with no reverse. This car runs and drives. Just won't go backwards. Are you guys saying the dealer will still give you $5000 towards a new car??

Surely there is some kind of solution. I can't believe this car is now just junk.
  • ike77ike77 Member Posts: 3
    You would need to call Saturn customer service at 1800 553 6000. Provide them your vin number to see if you are eligible for any type of assistance.
    thank u very much for the infor ,,,
  • nick72310nick72310 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    I am very disappointed with the 2008 Saturn VUE. My 72 year old mother bought one with very low miles (19K) on it two years ago and purchased an extended warranty. She now has 34K miles on it and has not been able to get the key out of the ignition. She took it in to the dealer and they told her that it does not recognize that the car is in park. Having worked at a dealer for over 12 years, I was absolutely floored that even with the extended warranty, this was not covered and would cost her $800 to fix. To me, a basic safety issue, SUCH AS A CAR NOT KNOWING WHETHER OR NOT IT WAS IN PARK, would be covered under the powertrain warranty, let alone an extended service contract. Last night I was considering which vehicle I may be buying to replace my older vehicle, but after this experience, I may have to reconsider a couple of my choices. Unreal.
  • michelle94michelle94 Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud owner of a 2003 Saturn VUE with that wonderful VTI transmission. You gotta jump up and down, but GM gave me $5,000 towards the purchase of a new car. Just drove it off the lot this week. My VUE had 96K and I was the original owner. Call 1-800-790-5700 Extension #11154 and speak with Becky She was extremely helpful and though it took some time, I got what was coming to me. Don't take no for an answer!!! Keep pushing until you get the answer you deserve!!! Good luck
  • michelle94michelle94 Member Posts: 2
    YES!!!! I got $5,000 towards the purchase or lease of a new car, it can be done. Do not take no for answer Call 1-866-790-5700 Extension #11154 ask for Becky She was very helpful, and though it took some hoop jumping, I finally got what was due me. I had a 2003 Saturn VUE and the transmission would not shift from 1st to 2nd......GO GET 'EM!!!!! Good luck
    GM offers everyone the 5000.00 credit to anyone that owned a Saturn with the defective VTI transmission. However, purchasing a new car from GM costs approx 25,000.00 (if you buy a small SUV like the Vue). There was no way that I would invest another twenty something thousand dollars in another GM vehicle. I hate the way GM handled the VTi transmission problems it showed no intedgrity or honesty on their part. I purchased a TOYOTA instead but good luck with your purchase. I have listed information below so that when your vehicle has a malfuntion (since it is made by GM) you do have other resources to turn to.
    Information regarding the class action lawsuit for the Vti Transmission
    http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassAction/ClassAction55.asp

You can file complaints with :
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265

Here is the website for the lawsuit that was filed.
    http://www.lakinlaw.com/

Twitter
    http://twitter.com/gmcustomersvc

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/generalmotors?v+wall
    Being that GM has walked away from Saturn and the Class Action Settlement, leaving Saturn Owners on their own with these crappy VTI transmissions, the ONLY thing we can do is vote with our wallets. Recently I had the opportunity to decide on which vehicle was selected for my company as a "Company Car". My choices were the Ford Escape or the Chevy Equinox. I am very happy to say that I chose the Ford Escape and that decision impacted the purchase of 25 vehicles. I vowed NEVER to buy GM again and I'm holding to that!!!
  • gredandstormygredandstormy Member Posts: 1
    I am really hoping someone can help me here. Bought the 2005 Saturn Vue manual 5 speed about a year ago. within a few weeks it started popping out of 3rd gear and makes a grinding noice, almost like it is not completly out of gear. It also pops out of 1st but not every time. If I hold the shifter in place, everything is fine. If I take my hand of the shifter it pops out (again, just in1st and 3rd).
    I don't have the money for a lot of work and still owe almost $6k for it so I don't think I will have much luck trading it in.
    Other than this I have no problems with car.
    Told today that I have to have the whole transmission replaced for $2000 but this just seems like there must be a simpler solution.
    I simply do not have $2000 to spend and really have a hard time trusting repair shops to begin with.
  • nette825nette825 Member Posts: 3
    did you get the warrantly in writing? i am going thur this right now with gm where they sent me to a dealership to have the transmission replaced i had to pay a portion. i was told i had a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. my transmission went out last week so i called the dealer ship and they told me it is in the file notes by the representative that authorized the original agreement. but the dealerships will only honor a 1 year warranty and in the words of the dealership manager that installed the transmission. " i may or maynot have agreed to that with GM but all i can offer right now is an apology and an estimate of how much it will cost to fix it again
    i will be happy to join in with you on this. this is an ongoing porblem and since my purchase and repair were both after GM filed bankruptcy, i was told by an attorney i have a viable case. furthermore anyone considering the replacement transmission offer from GM DONT.. the replacement transmissions still have an on going issue and burn out after about 2 years.
  • hgriffhgriff Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 6 cyl Saturn Vue and am now facing replacing the transmission. I understand there was a class action lawsuit regarding the VTi transmission recall, but I read that GM is limiting payment to Vues with less than 125,000 miles and no more than 8 years old. I will call the number listed in some earlier posts. Just wondering what my chances are of receiving any compensation from GM - I really cannot afford to replace the transmission or purchase another vehicle.
    Any thoughts?
    I have a 2002 Saturn Vue with the VTi transmission. I tried to call the number several people posted (800-790-5700), but it has been disconnected/changed/no longer in service! My transmission is going out and I'm afraid to drive my car -where can I go for help? Also, I never received a recall notice about this transmission.
    the number is 1-866-790-5700 11157 ask for becky
    I just call Saturn customer service. Apparently my VIN# was not included on their recall list, so now I'm stuck with a car that doesn't run?
    Thanks for the updated phone #. I called and Becky wasn't available. Martha tried to tell me that my VIN # is not on their recall list. I will try to reach Becky again later.
    I also sent an email to Saturn Cust. Service - don't know if I'll get a response.
  • nonstopchevynonstopchevy Member Posts: 1
    well i have a 2003 saturn vue and i replaced ther transmission 4 times in the past 5 1/2 years and im about to get another replaced. everytime i get a transmission i get a new warranty on mine. and it is no cost to me at all.
  • blzebobblzebob Member Posts: 1
    I fear I have ROYALLY screwed up, I hope you can help me. Long story short I changed the ATF in my '03 v6 Saturn Vue, refilling it through, you guessed it: the 27mm 3rd gear anchor band bolt located on top of the transmission casing. Of course I could find no mention of the importance of NOT removing this bolt until I already had done so, now, it will not shift from 2nd to 3rd.

PLEASE!! HELP me fix the result of my stupidity!
  • booklover1booklover1 Member Posts: 6
    I tried a long time ago to get my VUE fixed. Got the same BLAH BLAH out of warranty BLAH sorry this will be your third transmission BUT..... My Vue is setting in my driveway because I can not afford to have it fixed and if I did how long would it last? Secondly I can't fix it and sell it for fear it would do it to someone else. They use the same VTI transmission when they replace it. No recall has been made for these and they want you to use their repair centers so they get MORE MONEY!!!!! Either option gets them MORE MONEY. I would love to be apart of a class action suit against these rip off agents. If it is all about money to them lets get them for MORE MONEY!!!
    I am very sorry to hear about your situation I purchased a Saturn Vue with the same problem. I have also dealt with GM regarding the faulty Vti transmissions and GM goes through the so called process of opening a case but they will not do anything. They might split the cost with you to repair a defective transmission that they installed and it costs about $6000.00. So that means the customer has to pay $3000.00 for a transmission that was no good to begin with. There was a class action lawsuit which GM was found at fault but GM filed bankruptcy and is no longer obligated to fix the problem. Here are a few things that you can do and remember the more people who file complaints the more likely that these problems will be looked into.

Information regarding the class action lawsuit
    http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/ClassAction/ClassAction55.asp

You can file complaints with :
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    Website http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Better Business Bureau
    Website http://www.bbb.org/

Post your problem for the VTi transmission on forum boards

Write your local politicians
    Congressmen, local officials and attorney general you can find your local officials at c-span. You may have to Google your state and attorney general separately to find out who that is.
    http://www.c-span.org/CongressDirectory/

Last but not least you can write the CEO of GM
    Mr. Daniel Akerson
    CEO GM
    300 Renaissance Center
    Detroit, MI 48265

Here is the website for the lawsuit that was filed.
    http://www.lakinlaw.com/

Twitter
    http://twitter.com/gmcustomersvc

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/generalmotors?v+wall
  • powersenpowersen Member Posts: 1
    I would recommend going to the GM webpage. I had to talk to a representative and am now waiting on a call from the people that handle the VTi cases. Fingers crossed that there will be a solution. I have a 2003 Vue.
  • diydrummerdiydrummer Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I purchased a used 2002 Saturn Vue 4cyl AWD with VTI transmission, with 130k miles, in Feb 2012. I purchased it from a local mechanic who claimed that the transmission had been rebuilt in 2011.

Other than replacing front hubs in Oct, due to failing front bearings, I have had no issues with the Vue.

This Mar my transmission saga began when, as I rolled out of the gate at my work, I lost all transmission function. The engine did not stall, would only rev, and would not move in any gear position (R, D, I, L).

Looking into Saturn VTI transmissions, only now did I find that the 02-05 VTI transmissions are known to be faulty in design, prone to failure. I found that Saturn lost a class action lawsuit regarding this same transmission and issue.

Long story short, after 2 mos, a rebuilt transmission, replaced front transfer case, replacing an apparently new faulty valve body that was purchased from the dealer and installed, and $4600 (ouch) later, 2 days after picking up my newly rebuilt vehicle, my transmission appears to have gone out again.

While driving home, suddenly the check engine and the reduced power lights came on, and the vehicle would not go over 30mph. Upon arriving home, and attempting to back into my driveway, the vehicle would not move in reverse.

I have contacted GM Customer Service regarding the VTI issue, and after being on extended hold, and told several times that there were no recalls, the agent finally came back on the line and said that, yes, there was a known VTI issue, but those were handled by a different department. She said no one was available, and she would forward my contact info to them.

I have yet to receive a call.

Does anyone have any contact information regarding this settlement, and any suggestions to cause of the continued issue?

I will be taking the vehicle to the dealer for further inspection.
  • karljessekarljesse Member Posts: 2
    What is the warrantee on your new transmissions? I have 20,000 miles on my second, it failed and they tell me I'm sol!
    If you had a new Saturn Transmission installed by a GM dealer, then it should have come with a 100,000 mile warranty. That's what I got with mine! Hope that helps!
    I installed a new transmission at a Saturn dealership and it lasted only 32000 miles and they refused to replace it. Wouldn't do anything. It is all on me. My Vue is setting in my backyard. GM sucks!
  • dmarie3dmarie3 Member Posts: 1
    I was also wondering about contact information on the lawsuit. I do know that GM is not obligated to honor the lawsuit because of the bancrupcy they filed. Anyone have any other helpful information? I just had to take my 2003 Vue into the GM dealership & spend $4200 to have the transmission replaced. I would love to recoup some of this $$ if at all possible. Thanks! :(
  • mroz1mroz1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get it fixed yet. I did the same thing. I pulled the transmission and removed the side cover. Easy to get the anchor bolt back in... lots of hours to R&R transmission. This lesson will cost me an extra $100 and a lost week of vacation.
  • ltsedfltsedf Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching for a problem I am having with my 2005 Saturn Vue 68000k vin#5GZCZ23DX5S857028. I do not know the type of transmission. The Shifter is stiff. It will sometimes not go into gear, especially reverse, and it will grind. I don't know if I have one of the recalled trannys, but I need this vehicle to keep running. I know it is a hydraulic clutch, but two mechanics have told me (with a cursory look) that it is most likely the tranny. I had the tranmission drained and filled about a year ago, at around 50k. I am the only owner of this vehicle.
  • pkp56pkp56 Member Posts: 1
    All my life I had been a loyal Ford buyer. A few years ago I decided to give GM a chance and purchased a 2005 Buick Rendezvous. That was a huge mistake. 500 miles after the warranty expired the mechanical problems began and the car cost me thousands before I finally dumped it. Not having learned my lesson, I traded it for a used 2008 Saturn Vue AWD with very low miles. It has mostly been a good car until last week, when at 45 days past the warranty expiration, the transmission broke. From reading the Edmunds forum on GM cars this has been an ongoing problem. I'm not sure I want to put $5000-6000 into a car that isn't worth much more than that My question, in case a GM service rep is viewing:

Can or is GM willing, to do anything to help me or should I just load the Saturn onto a trailer, paint lemons all over it, and drag it around behind my old, still running beautifully, Ford Explorer? I'm thinking I should also include a sign that reads, "Another quality GM-built product."
    I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR VUE PAINTED WITH LEMONS!!!! I was thinking of parking my Vue on the side of the highway with a sign saying this is what you get when you buy a GM car. I have called emailed chatted called email and chatted etc.... been promised calls back, the oh please let me look into this for you, sorry our product is a piece of crap and we know it but there is nothing we can do for you. I guess that was really what I am thinking on the last comment. They have no intentions of getting these cars off the road. They are not going to help anyone because they are a greedy company making profits off the very people they want to buy their cars. I will never never never buy GM!!!
    I did post on their page and do it about once a week just to have it on there trying to warn others to NOT buy a VUE. They are no more help than the customer service line. I am making my money back by wasting theirs. Every time I complain they open a case and spend time investigating it only to call and say there is nothing they can do. I always say you can do something, you are choosing to do nothing.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi pkp56,

I understand your dissatisfaction with your Saturn Vue and am very sorry that you're experiencing problems with your transmission. I would definitely like the chance to look into this further for you, and see what options are available towards resolving this issue. Can you please send me your full name, VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealership so that I may do more research on this concern? I can be reached by email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • dannositodannosito Member Posts: 2
    I am another one of those lucky lemon owners of a 2004 saturn vue AWD with of course the VTI trans. It quit on me at 140 k miles. Everything else is in good shape. Dealer serviced even the oil changes . I located somewhere on line that a rebuilt transmission with a 100 K mile warranty could be purchased for about $ 3,800. Is this possible ? How could anyone give any kind of warranty on this piece of junk ?