Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Borrego

ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
My wife and I just visited a local Kia dealer to see the 2009 Kia Borrego. The dealer had at least 3 vehicles, both LX and EX, all with V6. They had no V8 or Limited on hand.

The car is very nice looking, both inside and out. The leather is not the softest, but is still quite nice. A lot of interior space behind the second row with the third row folded down flat. Still a good amount even with the third row up. The seating areas in both the second and third rows were spacious and comfortable. Second row moves up and back and reclines. The front seats were also very comfortable.

I like the fact that the 4WD transmission can lock the differential(s) and has a low range as we would use a vehicle of this type in off-road sand.

Overall, the vehicle gives a very, very nice impression. The only things we could find fault with were these:

No front seat armrests - a little hard for my right arm to reach the center console for support while holding the wheel. My wife had an issue with her left arm falling down into the space between the passenger seat and the console and onto the seat belt buckle. We both felt strongly that the designers should rethink the lack of armrests in a vehicle of this size and type.

Rear hatch glass does not open separately from the rear door. A lot of SUV's have this feature, which is quite useful when packing the car to the max for a trip or outing.

The red digital display at the center of the dash is quite bright and not quite sharp. It doesn't look as refined as the rest of the vehicle. I didn't investigate whether there is a setting to turn down the brightness, which might also increase the sharpness. I would have preferred a color other than red.

I would also prefer a carpeted covering on the back of the third row seat, rather than the hard plastic which I think may get banged up over time as heavy or irregular shaped items are placed and moved on and off when the seats are down.

Some drivers may want a bit more power from a standing start than the V6 provides. We would be interested in driving the V8 when it arrives for comparison. Of course, gas mileage may be adversely affected with a larger engine.

The ride quality was quite good. But, we could definitely feel the more rugged bumps on poorly paved roads. I don't think this is a fault, but just a characteristic of the body on frame design of the Borrego. The car had not been prepped yet in any way - it looked as if it had just come off a truck. I've read that new cars have overinflated tires for shipment to dealers and that may have been the case - not sure.

The Borrego is a beautiful vehicle with excellent design, fit and finish, and appearance. We are considering it along with the Honda Pilot. The main issue for us is whether to give up some of the functionality for gas savings in another type of car. Another concern with the Borrego is that there are very few Kia dealers in our metropolitan area, necessitating a 15 or more mile drive for service, etc.

I am thinking that incentives may well be offered on the Borrego (not yet), just as they have been on the 2009 Pilot soon after its introduction a few months ago.
Tagged:

Comments

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    KIA MOTORS AMERICA ANNOUNCES NAME OF NEW MIDSIZE SUV

First Kia Midsize SUV Will Make World Debut at Detroit Auto Show

IRVINE, Calif., November 6, 2007 – Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced it will give its new midsize SUV the moniker of “Borrego” when it debuts in January at the Detroit Auto Show. The Kia Borrego will be manufactured in Korea and go on sale in North America in late spring or early summer of 2008 as a 2009 model.

Built with body-on-frame construction incorporating the latest in NVH engineering philosophy, Borrego will be Kia’s newest addition to its well-rounded full-line of vehicles that continually provide value, safety and a steadfast 10-year/100,000-mile warranty to consumers. Borrego will be available with either a V6 engine or the company’s first V8 offering, which will also boast Kia’s largest towing capacity to date.
    Sharp design; V8 option.

Not related to the Hyundai Veracruz; just like the Sorento is not related to the Hyundai Santa Fe

• splx81splx81 Member Posts: 23
    looks good. moreover it's RWD.
    The name is a bit strange...I think it's sheep in Spanish :)

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    You're close. It's actually goat in Spanish. I wonder if they knew this before naming it.
    ;)
    Mackabee
    I read in a press release it was actually named after a desert state park in California.
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    Chevrolet had a concept off-road truck called Borrego. See http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z2580/Chevrolet_Borrego/default.aspx
    And that state park was named due to the fact there were lots of goats there.
    Mack
  • bruce_leebruce_lee Member Posts: 23
    Actually, 'borrego/oveja' mean sheep in spanish and 'cabra/chivo' mean goat....

Just the facts.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Could someone in this forum help me to obtain a Kia Mohave brochure or a PDF file in Korean language? I understand that the Mohave/Borrego will be sold in Korea from January 2008 and I assume that such a brochure or PDF file will be readily available to Korean customers. Help highly appreciated.
  • kiatnkiatn Member Posts: 8
    Kia Media Link

Borrego release with its many implied sources...its also a Honda color. Its also from the more affluent part of California. Sheep... in Wolf clothing. I hope it kicks the big guys like the Hyundai Veracruz did.

The "Soul" in whatever name is short behind in announcement.
    The New Euro-Guru of Design will start some exciting cars in US soon.

On the Sorento Thread.. The 3.8L engine is an EX only in 2008
    We have 20 2007 LX 4WD still in stock at the big rebate with 3.8L
  • neoisleneoisle Member Posts: 9
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Late coming in on this thread, any specs on the new truck? towing cap? v8?

-mike
    Very good photos! Could we have some photos of the cargo area? Interior? I am interested in knowing the folding characteristics of the second third seats of the Mohave. Do the seats fold flat like the Subaru Tribeca or the Tucson?
    I would like the Borrego comes with these goodies:
    (1)-3.8 V6, (DOHC, 24 valves)
    (2) - 6 Speed Shiftable automatic,
    (3)- 4WD/AWD (already activated),
    (4)- Skid Plates, front& rear
    (5)- Trip Computer/compass
    (6)- Braking Assistant,
    (7)- Engine Immobilizer/Anti-Theft Alarm System,
    (8)- Signal Mirrors,
    (9)- Front & Rear fog Light,
    (10)-Turning Circle Less than 38 ft,
    (11)- EPA mileage greater or equal than 16/22,
    (12)- Second row seats and third row seats folding flat,
    (13)- 7-passengers,
    (14)- Navigation System (option),
    (15)-Fuel capacity tank greater than 20 gal,
    (16)- Rust rating greater or equal than 4,
    (17)- Roll over resistance greater or equal than 4,
    (18)- HID/Xenon front lights (option),
    (19)- Ground clearance greater than 8.0 in,
    (20)- Standard luggage capacity greater than 10 cu.ft
    (21)- MSRP between $25,000 and $35,000.
    (22)- Off-road capable (Transfer case, Center Differential, Limited Slip Differential Rear, etc),
    (23)- Four wheel independent suspension. Rear multi-link
    (24)- 4-Ventilated discs
    (25)- Wheels greater or equal than 18"
    (26)- Roof rails
    (27)- Dual exhaust pipes
    (28)-Moonroof only as an option
    Will the Borrego have the above goodies or more?
    The 3.8L is a base and the V8 will be the top motor 4.7L ??? Pray for Oil under $150 a barrel.
    Three seat rows to compete with the big HOGS.

I love the Air-bag suspension in the Photos, I hope they come with a ride & level control for low street and full height off-road. We will see in months soon. I hope they bite the bullet on XP radio and option for NAV, I dont see why they dont now when they buy Delco radios for many models.
    The 3.8L is a base and the V8 will be the top motor 4.7L ???
    Pray for Oil under $150 a barrel.
    Three seat rows to compete with the big HOGS.

I saw the covered coils in the photo and thought them Air-bag for a moment. Too bad!

I hope they bite the bullet on XP radio and option for NAV, I dont see why they dont now when they buy Delco radios of the same company for many models.
    Well as long as it has rear auto-leveling option that'll be good enough.

-mike
    You are correct. Same family.
    Mack
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Kia is no longer using Delphi/Delco. Now they are using Hyundai Autonet. Also Hyundai Mobis could be a supplier as well.
    So without the present Delphi Options for XP or any support for integrating the head units with externals. other than the Rio/Spectras that have AUX plug as in the Borrego console photos. This is still miles behind present models from even the sister stable. Ford got the Microsoft (net) integration for Phone and voice control. while everyone else is building frankinstiens of modules that somehow become a usable control set and display integration. With DVD audio not even offered and Cassettes still in the holes we might as well be in the 70s 5.1 or better is only in DVD video systems and media. Harddrive Multi-Media box its not. Wireless downloads not, Nav Aids with a Mommy voice for lost babies, yes it works, for someone lonely and lost and encapable of reading a map. Of course gangster rap only need one channel and a boneshaker. Satelite is less than 100kb and most other audio content is in 2 channels with very little dynamic range or mixer skill.
    So AM is still King, all you need for talk radio and it goes hundreds of miles when you fire those old transmitters up. Out west there is still is no fm radio between in the wastelands. (Sorry Cowboys) So KIA Gurus..you want a sale in about 10-15 states you need a SAT ready/ Aux adaptable radio in every car & add a Weather Channel for the tornado states. Radio Havana//AM or bust. roll the windows down....dig out the eight tracks and dream Large.
    From the photos it appears that the brake discs are not ventilated. If this is true it is not a good news.
  • goldsuvgoldsuv Member Posts: 51
    It does have Air Suspension, see http://file1.bobaedream.co.kr/national/national1176276201_2.jpg

The disks are ventilated, it's the guard you are seeing in the rear. I would think it will be getting the Diesel in the US like the Veracruz is with 30mpg combined.
    The obvious clues in the press release on the V8 possibilities and towing capacity should give these guys a clue. I have seen that this is a Sante Fe variant and Veracruz spin-off. and a step up from Kia to daddy Hyundai like that was some Cadillac. Gee these guys need to get to work instead of catching gossip from reliable sources like the CIA. This IS KIA and they are not stepchild or little sister of the other Brand. The World market sees them as a big player with a significant branding and individual product base. Go to the KIA International site.. it kicks!
    The Serento with 5000 towing outclasses all the luxury SUVs below $40K ....Why? Rear wheel drive! No Hyundai SUV has RWD! So if a V8 is offered with an increase its got to be RWD+ AWD option. Thanks to those preproduction photos posted below that seems to be the case. Those photos also have Six Lug wheels like a truck based SUV showing a leaning to a heavy duty vehicle. I know they are only photos and production is a phase beyond in execution and final product. The Rolling photos also have six spoke wheels to compliment. I would not be surprised if the Truck Mohave is not very close in chasis when it comes to light. Or is some dumbxxx in a magazine going to claim a Hyundai as king in this event. The hiring of the best Design from europe is going to remove those myths soon as KIA pulls the Brand past the others. KIA links to military vehicles with payloads must be in the Sorento pedigree and soon its siblings. The other Stars to rise Spectra (Green machine) Hybrid is being well tested before its arival and placed to be the least expensive Hybrid in full mode when it debuts. I wish it were posible to have the Euro Skined cars here then but that is wishful thinking. The compact SUV market in the "Soul" class has a VW offering on the way and see this Younger market be a battle zone of many smart designs. Not everyone is pulling an RV or wants to feed the pumps. The high-tech diesel market has been worldwide for years and in another SUV Kia Concept it may break the Octane fantasy with some Cetane points for freedom from the Pump Guys that eat the fun out of a trip. I just drove a V6 Rondo that some reviewer said quick but not less than his mark of ecellence. Does the car your Mom drive have to lay rubber when it leaves the drive because this is faster than any detroit box. Similary as the Sedona flys past it minivan competition. I think the Media bias keeps them from every declaring a KIA knock out. ARRP and other less infuenced outlets have shown good support. I will stop...but please give these poor excuses for magazines some editorial carving. Thanks and Onward KIA
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    keep on a postin' 'cause you like myself have been able to look past all of the Kia trashing that goes on and to look at the brand with a clear head.

You are right, Kia is its "own" brand, not really a subsidiary of Hyundai yet 51% owned by Hyundai, which is a big difference. Kia is only starting to take off.

My '99 Kia Sephia got me hooked on Kia and that car beat out the Corolla and Civic in body design and solid engineering that lasts. A small snafu with smallish-ly designed brake pads had to be figured out with the Sephia. My mechanic just installed a larger brake pad at change-out time, not a big deal. But the car was sound and once I had 70,000 Yokohama radial tires installed and Konig Diva wheels the car handled very well and was even more fun to drive.

Our '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 was an economical and fun little SUV to drive. When Americans put Kia down they are truly showing their ignorance...it still goes on even after Kia wins awards from the car mags. The 2006 Kia Rio5 was one of their finalists for 2006 Car of the Year award. JD Power recently acknowledged their much-improved initial quality improvement. The thing is, today most cars are close in quality, and...Kia has that unbeatable Long-Haul Warranty.

Keep posting the truth about Kia, kiatn. I have on this website for years. Kiaworld.net is a good one for Kia fans to check out. If anyone likes Kia and wants to go blog about them. And learn much about their European expansion, Peter Schreyer's new design work, etc. Kia/Hyundia is #5 worldwide and rising fast, gentlemen.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    This rebadged Hyundai Terracan looks like one of those outdated GM or Saturn SUVs, especially the one in orange on Kia web site. But it helps a little for the outdated Terracan styling. It looks like they will put a 3.8L V6 instead of the 3.5L in Korean domestic market. And for what I've read, I don't see the side airbags on the Borrego.
    Terracan is awsome! It's the korean equivalent of the LandCruiser!

-mike
    I should expect Side airbags. Some of the borrego pics in korea had them. Side curtain airbags too. The v6 will be 3.8L Lambda engine. V8 will be the new Tau engine. The Tau engine will be installed in the new Hyundai Genesis.
    I dont know where you get your information?
    KIA has had 100% all model side curtain air bags. To the cheapest Rio in 2007
    Knee bags on some some like Sorento.
    Active head restraints made the Sedona outstanding in class with IIHS 2006-2008
    5 Star rear impact class winner in Optima being 5 star all directions. 2006.5 2007
    See http://www.safercar.gov/SideAirBags.cfm
    See how many cars makers do not have them but as options or in some cars not at all. Chrysler was about 50%
    NHTSA (Safercar.gov) does not do the rear impact test and more preoccupied with the Roll over Explorer / Firestones test.
    Tire pressure monitoring is standard in all but Rio also.
    ESC the new benchmark in available or standard in many KIA.
    Also see Tire Rack the KUMHO tires standard on many are killing tires twice the price. The premium rubber versions are still less than $100
    See the Euro/International site www.kiamotors.com if you have a couple of hours to watch the content and also a full interview with Peter about the design team and branding philosophy. The commercials are mini movies and the Flash contents are Mini-sites on their own. Its obvious some base is shared in supplier sides, but even my KIA parts department has few direct crosses so quit the cousin thing until you can show me the bloodline in partswap book.
    My Sportage brother above...You cant pry anyone out of one before a lifetime of memories with so much love that its painful to trade for the next one.
    Enterprise rentals and family to family is doing more to get people in KIA than the advertising. People call all the time saying how on the last trip or when they had car in shop how they liked the KIA and now want one. I know the H brand has a similar following of Lovers and hope they have thier own forum to pucker in DUH! DUH! DUH! If you want a DUH fun go to the DUH site and play the DUH Keyboard.
    KIA Inteligents " We Know your Smarter" I wish I had the Rondo with the common rail diesel( CARENS in Euro). like I said....do the KIAmotors site only if you have the next two hours to spare.
  • ata10ata10 Member Posts: 5
    This is how Borrego looks in S. Korea where it will use different name. It will be called Mohave there. http://www.kia-world.net/index.php/2007/12/05/kia-mohave/
    Its look like the Roll out could not be sooner with a three seat V8 Pathfinder in release just now. Does anyone have a good comparison data yet on it and Toyota models and the Borrego offering?

See KIA-BUZZ This is the Global Kia Blog site!!! Check out the transformers Carens (Rondo) commercial.

I just drove a Grand Prix from enterprise, no wonder people love the ride and vibration control in the KIA linage. Even a Rio interior looked more expensive.
  • ata10ata10 Member Posts: 5
  • himi1himi1 Member Posts: 25
    Kia has officially released Mohave SUV in Korea. It's almost the same vehicle as will be US Kia Borrego. It only has different engine for Korean market.

I found some great pictures. You can see those here:
    http://www.kia-world.net/index.php/2008/01/03/kia-launches-mohave-suv-in-korea/"- >
    Nice, looks like a good competitor to the Pathfinder/4-runner/Pilot.

-mike
  • himi1himi1 Member Posts: 25
    Kia has just launched the Borrego SUV at Detroit Motor Show!
    Look here for official press release and images: http://www.kia-world.net/index.php/2008/01/13/kia-borrego-makes-its-debut-at-det- roit-motor-show/
    Wow 7500lbs towing and 6speed AT w/4.6L V8.

I'm very impressed with this vehicle, next will be the pricepoint that it comes in at.

-mike
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    can be described thusly: stealthy. Man, that thing just looks like a beast for the off-road to me. Yet, it's simple design lines are effective and give a bold and strong look. Just like an old-fashioned BOF SUV should look like. With the Long-Haul Warranty and a great initial selling price, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Let's see how much it comes out with the options. I hope it doesn't start pushing the envelope in terms of price.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Look to the vehicles in the target comparisons and know they will be close to the Flock with less dollars and more value in warranty for the long haul.
    Sorento repairs(2006 averages) killed the reliability reports and dropped KIA in points. Engines have improved, Paint quality below standard with clear coat pox, If a transmission is warranty replaced the US remanufactured replacement may be worse and is making the great service guys look bad. Back to Price...In the 30k range depreciation is always a factor and hope enthusiasm and good marketing overcome the appearance of any short haul loss of investment. Buying from a rental with low miles is a good option on KIA for those counting Dollars. KIA is pulling the bar up...many companies are floundering in dealer closings, sales of companies and car lines, so things are getting more equal all the time. Keep the Ball going KIA...NBA pun not intended.
    There will also be a DVD Navigation system for those who want it. It will work with the backup camera.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Kia hasn't put a single V8 badge on the 2009 Kia Borrego EX. The days when you could brag to great effect about the Hemi, iForce or Vortec V8 in your family SUV are over. Unless you somehow score a crossover with a plug-in hybrid drivetrain, no one wants to hear about it.

First Drive: 2009 Kia Borrego
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The article says the Borrego goes on sale at the end of July. However, I went to a local dealer (Tucson) this morning and was told that they would get their first one in September. They did give me a very attractive brochure, however. It looks like Kia is serious about presenting the Borrego as a luxury vehicle. I wish them well.
  • cadillacmanazcadillacmanaz Member Posts: 11
    Saw the comercial for this last night and I have to give Kudo's to the marketing team. They show what you have "come to expect" from luxury SUV's then they go but I bet you nver thought you see it from us. Definatly an attention grabber. To bad theres no reviews of this thing yet. I would love to see what the experts say.
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    Hey Ed,

I think the borrego is fairly nice, but the looks are not really earth shattering. The Pilot imo is fairly ugly. What did they do to the old look? It looks like something from Star Wars.

I'd ask you to consider other SUV's. They Santa Fe's from Hyundai are the nicest ones that I've seen. The new Highlander is another ugly stick victim.

Just my opinion.

Take care,
  • ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    I agree the Santa Fe is very nice. We test drove it and the Highlander a year ago. But, we're trying to find a vehicle with good off-road qualities and better-than-Jeep MPG. I don't think either the Santa Fe or the Highlander are particularly good off road, as they both lack low-range transmissions and locking differentials. And the electric motors on the Highlander Hybrid's rear wheels are a very poor match with off-road sand conditions.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I am an avid 4-Runner owner and have looked at the Borrego. Lots of great frills. They didn't learn from Toyota on the gray cladding that lasted one year and then was gone for the 4-Runner. Didn't feel as solid as the 4-Runner, but clearly far more amenities. While the v-8 is rated much higher in hp than the 4-Runner, I really did notice a difference. It is actually higher priced than a 4-runner without a track record with the first v8 for KIA in the US. So, buyers will be taking a risk on that and paying a premium price. KIA is charging $3K more for the V8, while Toyota charges $1.2K Did not test in true 4 wheel conditions, so can not comment there. Nice looking rig with lots of frills and touches, but in my opinion overpriced.
    I checked out a couple of Borregos. The V8 is pricy, roughly the same as a Toyota 4-Runner and Toyota dealer are reducing prices more than Kia. Kia has some newer technology, but reliability is still a question. Anyone else tried to negotiate a price on a V8?
    Many of us would be interested in feedback from owners of the Borego. This board is very quiet. So, there are either few owner out there, or they are not passionate with their new purchase. Do they really get the gas milage they advertise? And, what are the impression after you drive one for a month on a longer trip. Test drives simply don't tell the whole story.
  • jazzpantsjazzpants Member Posts: 8
    I am wondering about both suvs. I am considering both and wonder what people think. I do thing that the Borrego is expensive and Toyota has a track record but I am looking for other opinions. Thanks and keep it real, dog.