Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Chrysler 300 transmission problems

jetladyjetlady Member Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in Chrysler
My car has 48000 miles on it, has been in the shop 4 times in the past 6000 miles. When I hit 35-40 a feel a rumble - service tech tells me it is going into overdrive and that is normal-. If it is "normal" why did I not feel it until 6000 miles ago. Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    No
  • jetladyjetlady Member Posts: 4
    I found a service bulletin and when the Chrysler service Rep drove it, he said it was not normal ( the Service manager told me it was). They had to do a "Flash" update, something computerized, guess what my car is back to running like it did when I bought it- still waiting for that apology from the service manager
  • lacadelacade Member Posts: 12
    Mine does have a very slight "vibration" right at 1600 rpm which corresponds to the 35-36 mph or 60 km/h speed. Has been there since day one. I just assumed it was normal. It does not seem to have any negative effects though.
    No this is not normal, there was a service bulletin put out for it, the dealer needs to do a computer update. My car has been running "normal" since they did that on Friday
  • rancher3rancher3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi from Spain. I dont know if by rumble you mean a slight vibration that shoots through the car and lasts for a a split second each time the gear box shifts into a higher gear. My local dealer told me its a gear box snag and that most cars have it. However I should live with it unless it gets bad enough for them to look at it. I am not comfortable with this issue either.
    Thank you! I just saw your message. Interesting piece of news!The computer update could work for my car too.
    what does it exactly consist of????
  • chryslertechchryslertech Member Posts: 3
    IT IS A DEFECTIVE TORQUE CONVERTER. THEY FLASH THE COMPUTER TO DISABLE THE LOCKUP IN THE CONVERTER. THEY DO THIS TO AVOID A PROPER REPAIR. THE PROPER REPAIR IS TO REPLACE THE CONVERTER.
    They did change the converter on my car, then said that what I was feeling was normal. I told the service manager it was not normal. He said he would have a Rep. from Chrysler come to tell him it was normal. I threatened to call the attorney's general. The service Rep went about 1/4 of mile and said that it was not normal. After doing the flash update my car has been running like new.
    Thank you. My Chrysler car dealer already hinted that this problem was not uncommon. Mercedes must be aware of it too. What leverage doest it give us. If the warranty applies why is the mecanic reluctant to fix the problem? Which way should i go or push?
  • pipexpipex Member Posts: 14
    My car started to do that when it had only 60 miles on it. Your AC condensor drain tube us dripping on top the transmission and water is getting in the tranny via the bottom of the filler tube which is not water proof.

I had the Torque convertor changed and they flushed the tranny 8 times. Good until 50,000 miles and put in another new torque converter.

Told the mechanic that I had advised Chrysler and the dealer as to where the water was coming from. This mechanic extended the drain tube down to the side on the transmission and sent Chrysler a report on what I had requested.

Three years ago, Xhrysler had a clip and silicone etc. crap that would supposedly seal the tube.

Silicone and tranny oil mix about as well as oiul and water. It takes a very minute amount of water to make the torque convertor rumble and shake etc.

By the way, Tell the dealer that there is a TSB for the problem.

The TSB Number (Canada) is TSB 21 - 011 - 05
  • jdis66jdis66 Member Posts: 1
    I experienced a jerking motion or vibration as soon as my car hit about 44000 miles and I brought it in to the dealership who told me it was a gas valve that was stuck open and fixed that for 400 bucks. As soon as I drove the car off the lot, I felt the jerking again. I turned around and went back and screamed that them about how could they tell me that they fixed it and charged me 400 bucks. They told me to bring the car back and they would look at it again, which I told them I was leaving it there that night and they can look at it in the morning, Well they had it for 3 days and never called me or said anything. I had to call them ( poor service dept) When I finally called them about the car they told me they had to do a computer update on the tranny, I said ok, will that fix the problem? They said yea, so I went back and got the car. After about 3 hours of driving, it started again. So I called the manager to tell them about it but he was always busy with customers. So I left him a message to call me and he never did. I really am disappointed with Chrysler, youd think in these times they would do everything possible to keep their customers, not push them away with horrible manners.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    That's a poor service, but don't blame Chrysler LLC, blame the service department of that dealer. Find another dealer. I have also found that screaming doesn't do any good and probably does harm.
  • Mr49erMr49er Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 2005 300 in to have an oil change and get a transmission tune-up (60,000 miles) and had them check my transmission while it was in as I too was experiencing the vibration in my steering wheel at a specific speed on the freeway. I've had a good experience with the dealer so far. They explained that they were aware of the problem I described and got back to me on my voicemail message. The rep explained that if there is water in the tranny that the fluid will look like a "strwberry milkshake". Fortunately I did not have this exact problem. Instead mine was actually the EGR valve. The malfunction light was intermittently coming on. I'm lucky because it's under warranty. They are going to replace it tomorrow as I do not ahve time today. I will inquire further as to the state of the onboard computer and whether it needs to be flashed and the torque converter.
  • camcamcamcam Member Posts: 2
    I have a chry 300 touring 2005, I had shifting issues as well. Sometime it shifts like I'm driving a stick shift. The tire actually skid a little. The dealer did a flash update and indicated the transmission works fine. I'm still concerned. Over the years my dash light have come on so many times I can't count. The EGR valve has been replaced. Beautiful car- midnight blue with 20 inch rims attracts alot of attention. That's the only reason I still have it. 83,000 miles on it. Has anyone had similiar issues?
  • viv626viv626 Member Posts: 10
    I need direction on how to tackle the vibration problem. I have been experiencing this problem for about 6 months. Several Chrysler shops have seemed oblivious to the issue even after I printed TSB-011-05 and gave them a copy. My original warranty had expired so I purchased an extended warrantly from Chrysler. This extended warranty is now also expired and suddenly, they want to take my transmission apart. How do I tackle this problem? Please help!
    I need direction on how to tackle the vibration problem. I have been experiencing this problem for about 6 months. Several Chrysler shops have seemed oblivious to the issue even after I printed TSB-011-05 and gave them a copy. My original warranty had expired so I purchased an extended warrantly from Chrysler. This extended warranty is now also expired and suddenly, they want to take my transmission apart. How do I tackle this problem? Please help!
    Ask them to get an oil sample test performed. I guarantee that you have water in the Automatic Transmission Fluid.
    The transmission fluid was checked last week and was loaded with water. It took 5 flushes to get the water out. Now my concern is, how did it get in there and will it come back. I have never been in a flood, the shop said that they see no leaks and the pressure levels are ok now. Also, isn't my transmission damaged if it had water for ~ 6 months?
    This is message #11 up above. Tell the dealer about the TSB and tell him to extend the AC Condensor Drain Ture as it drips on of the tranny and goes in via the bottom of the filler tube. Once it gets into the torque convertor, it will shake rattle and roll. The silicone fix they tried on mione at 60,000 K never worked, they put in another at about 90,000 and EXTENDED the drain hose and they advised Chrysler of the fix that I had suggested to them.

My car started to do that when it had only 60 miles on it. Your AC condensor drain tube us dripping on top the transmission and water is getting in the tranny via the bottom of the filler tube which is not water proof.

I had the Torque convertor changed and they flushed the tranny 8 times. Good until 50,000 miles and put in another new torque converter.

Told the mechanic that I had advised Chrysler and the dealer as to where the water was coming from. This mechanic extended the drain tube down to the side on the transmission and sent Chrysler a report on what I had requested.

Three years ago, Xhrysler had a clip and silicone etc. crap that would supposedly seal the tube.

Silicone and tranny oil mix about as well as oiul and water. It takes a very minute amount of water to make the torque convertor rumble and shake etc.

By the way, Tell the dealer that there is a TSB for the problem.

The TSB Number (Canada) is TSB 21 - 011 - 05
  • popachilpopachil Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 300 has 105,000 on it and the rumbles came back. I experienced them earlier and the dealer fixed things up. I took the car in for it's last warranty checkup around 99,500 miles and all was well. Now the transmission is shot and the 300's use a Mercedes transmission that is better bought rebuilt and installed than having the exisiting transmission rebuilt. Any advice?????
    I apologize for the delay in responding. I actually have no advise since my transmission issue is still not resolved. I had 8 flushes about 1 month ago which they assured me would fix the problem. The rumbling began again within a few days. I took it back to them again and they confirmed that water was back in the transmission. Based on the emails on this site alone, this is a major problem which is impacting a lot of 2005 300's. I don't know what to tell you but I think that I am going to either have to contact the state attorney general or get an attorney. Good Luck!
  • jiafoxjiafox Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody...<new girl.
    From my research the deal is that the ac condensor is leaking water (condensation) onto the tranny and the water is getting into the tranny fill tube which is not water proof , and into the transmission causing a vibration at speeds above 60mph (it's mixing with the tranny fluid causing a strawberry milkshake look eventually). A few guys did something that sounds smart: they had the line from the ac re-routed away from transmission...I have not looked at the line yet to know what size it is, but I have re-routed the drain line from my kitchen (the one that leaks outside) because it was leaking too close to my house. I simply found a plastic L pipe that fitted around the existing pipe, attached it, turned it away and sealed it when it was in the desired position....I wonder if I can do the same to my ac leak-line on my 300 srt8??? Another guy made sense when he said he simply poured fluid into his car while old fluid was runnig out at the bottom until he saw clean fluid running out then he closed the drain point and continued to fill the transmission until his pinky could feel the fluid in the fill tube. Another guy measured what came out and put the same amount back in...ATF-4 seems to be the fluid to use. in a cold engine the level should be at 3 and a hot engine should be at 4. There is a special dipstick that can be bought from chrysler: part 9336 ( a long dipstick with a flat metal piece on the end to know when the bottom is reached),,I hear it's nothing special and that anything that reached could be freakin used as long as you know where the levels should be(at 3 in cold engine and 4 in hot engine that has been idling fir at least 20 min) if your not sure just wait for it to get cold (maybe 4 or more hours), FYI:::I hear the benz c320 uses the same dipstick,

My engine is cold and my car has been leaking fluid, I am going to use the dipstick in my porsche if it's long enough to make sure the level is at 3 (cold engine).

except:
    1-I dont the difference between atf-4 and atf

2-where is the damn fill tube?
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    I agree. Some of these dealerships have already been slated for disposal, so they don't really care if you are satisfied or not. They are about to lose their franchise. According the list of dealerships targeted by Chrysler, many of them had poor customer relationship ratings, and even though they sold a lot of cars, Chrysler would rather shift the business to the 5 star dealerships that know how to treat customers. Find another dealer!~ ;)
  • troy23troy23 Member Posts: 3
    This same shudder has been happening in my 2005 300 LE. Spent over $700.00 at the dealer last month fixing what they said was a defective cylinder and excess carbon buildup. It fixed the problem for about 3 weeks now it's back. I found this on the internet and it sounds like what is happening with my car. Taking it in on Tuesday to see if this fixes it:

Dipstick Tube Seal May Leak Causing ATF Contamination Or Transmission Shudder/Buzz
  • dino47dino47 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Chrysler 300 I believe I am the second owner of this car, recently my car developed transmission problem and I had it towed to a Chrysler service dept. in New York City. When I enquired on the status of my car, I was informed that I needed another tranny and that it would cost me $4,000.00, and that I would need to pay half the amount before they could or would order another tranny for my car. I would like to know how in the hell is one suppose to check the tranny fluid to avoid any possible problem when Chrysler and possibly other car manufacturers omit the tranny dipstick so that one can check the tranny fluid. So, naturally the consumer has to take their car to a dealer to have the tranny fluid checked by them which naturally is great for them but not for us. Bottom line more money for them to charge us what ever happen to the normal way of doing things I liked it better when we could do our own tranny fluid check without having to depend on a car manufacturer to squeeze us for more money over a simple thing such as a dipstick this to say the least is a pure and simple scam by the powers that be. I can&#146;t say anything else because I AM SO MAD I COULD XXXXING SCREAM :mad: . SO I'LL LEAVE IT LIKE THIS FOR NOW!!!
    The only good cure is to put in a new Torque Converter. You can oil in the tranny a million times but you won't get it all out of the Torque Converter.
  • 300hemi300hemi Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 06 300c in the shop 3 times now to the tune of 300-400 each time for the same issue. The car shifts fine until it warms up and then it either shifts down or gets stuck in a lower gear. I can pull over and shut off the car and sit for 10 minutes and sometimes it will be okay and others it wont get beyond 3-4 gear. I have had the shift plate rebuilt last year and new one installed Saturday. It seemed to be fine when they drove it and then when I drove it home last night it did it again... rrrrrrr so fed up.. Could this be a wiring or plug issue or the computer..
  • terk74terk74 Member Posts: 1
    Interesting. I just had a new torque converter replaced as well as the Cam plugs replaced (different issue -oil leak) this week. Picked up the car Wednesday evening, drove THrusday and Friday and the shudder still is there. The issue was exlained as the AC draining directly on the tranny. The shudder occurs below 35-40 mph. Once on the highway it runs smoothly. I have an appointmnet to return the car to the dealer on Monday morning
  • tomi33tomi33 Member Posts: 1
    For all the people with tranny shudder caused by water.

Go buy some seafoam transmission treatment. Pour 1/2 bottle into your tranny via the tube up top. Drive it down the road for 10 min, shift through all the gears, and cruise at each average speed. Seafoam dries water out, while keeping everything lubed. Had the tranny shudder, Seafoamed. Its been gone for months. 10$ at Napa, simple, cheap, works for as long as you have tranny fluid. Hope that helps. :(
  • davids1magnumdavids1magnum Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 300 same bs. Does that really work. Man mine needs it bad. Please let me no. Thanks. U can email at king4856@att.net.
  • 2005300c2005300c Member Posts: 1
    Hey im just wondering if you got this problem fixed because it sounds like the same one i have. or have any suggestions on how to make it better.
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear about your 300. Unfortunately, the only thing that was successful for me was a total transmission replacement. I was very persistent with researching the TSB's associated with the issue and presenting them to Chrysler but the thing that did the trick was a compassionate service manager at one of the Chrysler dealerships. He went to bat with Chrysler on my behalf and they agreed to replace the transmission. Prior to the replacement, I spent about $2500 getting work done that did not correct the problem plus rentals. I still have the car and since the transmission replacement, I have not had any other major issues with the vehicle. Good luck!
  • ny62ncny62nc Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I TOO HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY 2005 300C. HAS 32000 MILES. ONLY SERVICE BY DEALER. 1 MONTH OUT OF WARRANTY. WAS TOLD I NEED A NEW TRANNY BY DEALER BECAUSE OF WATER IN MY FLUID. NOT THERE PROBLEM AND WILL NOT COVER IT.HAD IT TOWED TO A MORE COMPOTENT MECHANIC WHO FLUSHED SYSTEM AND MADE IT DRIVE LIKE NEW. STILLL CANT FIGURE OUT HOW WATER GOT IN... LAST CHRYSLER I EVER BUY..
    Interesting that your car was one month out of warranty. Mine was also out of warranty but I had purchased another warranty from Chrysler. It was during this period that the problem surfaced. I took the car to MULTIPLE Chrysler shops and they each told me that the problem was something else other than the transmission. The "something else" of course was not covered by the warranty. When the 2nd warranty expired, they diagnosed that I had water in my transmission and since I had no warranty, I ended up paying for 8 flushes. The flushes did not fix the problem but because I was such a squeaky wheel, I was given a new transmission.

The final news on my 2005 Chrysler is that one month ago, the "new" transmission that was installed began slipping. I finally decided that I was done with ALL THINGS CHRYSLER and replaced the car. To anyone else dealing with the water in the transmission issue, know that Chrysler is well aware of this issue but apparently has decided that the cost of a recall and fix is too great. I've seen the 2011 model and like the 2005, its an esthetically pleasing car, but it takes more than good looks to hold a customer. I'm done with the brand. You could not give me a Chrysler for free.
  • melanie16melanie16 Member Posts: 1
    I am 2 weeks out of warranty-the transmission needs to be replaced with only 22,000 miles on it. How can this be? We cannot check the fluid as there is no dipstick??? Now we are going to buy our own. Chyrsler agreed to fix it with a small copay but I think the copay is large. My question is did Chrysler corp pay for the whole thing or did you have a copay as well? They also are paying for a rental car.
    I did have a co-pay but I dont remember the amount. I do remember that I did not get a loaner or a rental. I almost lost my job of 10 years because my car was out of commission for so long and I could no longer afford the rental.

I also found out that I had no dipstick in my car during this ordeal. I had never heard of such a thing before this car.
  • newsonnewson Member Posts: 2
    My car has had no shudder, but this morning I started it up to come to work and it would not allow me to shift out of park. My car has 91,000 miles on it and this issue came out of the blue. Could this be because of water in my transmission. Asking before I take it in and have warranty work performed on it. 2005 Chrysler 300 :mad:
  • mbeck75mbeck75 Member Posts: 4
    You probably just need a new shifter. My car did the same thing a year ago. I drove to work fine, but when I came out that afternoon to leave I could not shift out of park. Very frustrating. I was able to remove the cover off the shifter console and press a lever inside the console to allow it to shift out of park, however, this is a temporary fix that gets annoying if you drive a lot! I'm not sure if this was a recall or TSB, but my dealership fixed it for free!
  • newsonnewson Member Posts: 2
    Thank you mbeck75, you may have just saved me a tow truck fee.
    My 300 also did the same thing suddenly. I tried to release the thing under the shifter but had no luck. I was towed to a shop for repair and guess what, a guy was picking up his 300 that was towed for the same reason.

The shop said this was a common issue with the model.

After you open the shifter panel, note how the part that sticks looks like a part from a cheap toy.
  • example32example32 Member Posts: 1
    I also had water in my transmission (at 150,000 km's) and had to get a new (used) transmission installed. The new (used) transmission had about 90,000 km's on it and it is still shuttering. Can this issue be fixed on this car? This is all due to poor manufacturing as the as from what I'm told the dip stick tube was not water proof. I don't understand how any 2005 models are on the road without this issue and how this was not a recall. Who do we call to try to get this recalled/fixed? My warranty is almost up on the current transmission. Is it worth it to get the Transmission shop to put in a third transmission or will this just happen again? Thank you,
  • jfaubushjfaubush Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    April'09 at 74,000 miles replaced trans.pump & torque converter,trans output shaft-$3456.00
    July'09 78,00 miles Replaced rack & pinion,power steering line ,gear-power steering - $1855
    Aug'12 Sucked valve seat-replaced engine block - $8200
    Jan'13 - Transmission blown- yet to be replaced.
    Yes, love the style. This is my fifth Chrysler and obviously my last!!
    jfaubush,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your problem with your chrysler. You have definitely invested a lot of $ in this lemon!

I noticed that they added a few new colors to the 300 model including an eye catching red. Chrysler continues to focus on esthetics while ignoring the mechanical issues impacting their customers.

Unfortunately, like a gorgeous chick with an STD, you fall for the looks then get burnt.

Good luck!
  • rwtexrwtex Member Posts: 1
    If I purchased a pre-owned vehicle and was told that the vehicle had no prior issues. Less than a year later I had an engine failure. Took it in to find out #6 rod bearing spun. No worries because i have the warranty to cover issue. Got a call from service department and he said that this is not the first engine that has been put in it. The one that they are replacing is a re-man. The question I have is shouldn't that have been disclosed to me upon purchase of vehicle? I would almost would have to assume that the warranty either (manufacture extended) or dealer would have covered the first problem and that would have to be in some kind of records?
  • vgibsonvgibson Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 chrysler 300 has been shutting off completely when im turning slow. It starts up fine and all the electric stays on. It also hesitates or jerks when I am stepping on the gas. What could this be?
  • crawdaddy1950crawdaddy1950 Member Posts: 2
    Melanie16
    I have a 2005 chry 300C hemi.with 54000 klms..(approx 32000 mi).. my tranny is toast,and no warranty.. dearer would install a rebuild for $5700.00
    I took it to Dan's Transmission, Halifax,Nova Scotia Canada.
    they will repair it for $4500.00 plus tax....and correct why it was failing... They replaced all components,bearings etc...new coolent lines,,and installed a Transmission cooler,and removed it from the radiator....
    they said it was rebuilt before,because there were rem components in the transmission. I bought the car with23ooo miles on it..so....similar story to yours,,and a;ll out of MY pocket..hope you had a bit of help from Chrysler with it
  • crawdaddy1950crawdaddy1950 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 chry 300C hemi. AWD with 54000 klms..(approx 32000 mi).. my tranny is toast,and no warranty.. dealer would install a rebuild for $5700.00
    I took it to Dan's Transmission, Halifax,Nova Scotia Canada.
    They will repair it for $4500.00 plus tax....and correct why it was failing... They replaced all components,bearings etc...new coolent lines,,and installed a Transmission cooler,and removed it from the radiator....
    They said it was rebuilt before,because there were rem components in the transmission.
    I am trying to find out if it was a warranty repair.if yes,they would only replace necessary components,and hope it lasts till warranty is run out... I bought the car with23000 miles on it..so....similar story to yours,,and a;ll out of MY pocket..hope you had a bit of help from Chrysler with it
  • bbressanbbressan Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '05 300 Touring V6 3.5L
    I have had this happen to me once, completely shut off when turning into a parking stall, slow and sharp.
    I've also had the the hesitation in the gas pedal.... I also have the transmission that likes to slam down/hard shift once and a while too
    Did you find anything out with yours?
  • miguelchmiguelch Member Posts: 1
    Thoes it really work bcuz every 2 months I get trouble with my 300s transmission and water goes into it and idk how?
  • hectorrhectorr Member Posts: 1
    i got the same problem i need help