Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker Transmission Problems

2»

Comments

• alicia9alicia9 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Daniel, I own a green 1994 Geo Tracker 2-wheel drive automatic with white soft-top. I'm no mechanic, but here's my analysis.

–'s
    1) had to replace transmission at around 135K miles and it's still a little finicky
    2) interior is kinda cheap in terms of fixtures and upholstry – this is not a luxury vehicle. But, it's comfy to sit in for long road trips and just fine if you're a no-frills kinda person.
    3) Taking soft top on and off is kinda complicated, but if you have a buddy help you it's twice as fast. =)
    4) the car catches the wind on the highway and shimmies near semi's
    5) I've been told that a weak point in design is door hinges – don't let the wind catch them and keep them oiled with WD40
    6) You can't keep stuff in this car – it's so easy to break into.

+'s
    1) It's super cute and fun to drive
    2) great visibility
    3) sips gas
    4) really easy to find parking – amongst my friends I always drive if we're going to an event where parking will be hard to find. There's always some spot on the street that is too small for everyone but me.
    5) high clearance and off-road design make it great for camping trips, going through big puddles, gravel roads, etc. And mine's not even 4x4.
    6) Full-size spare on back of car has come in handy multiple times
    7) Back seat folds down and it turns into a tiny truck with the top off. I've moved chest of drawers, huge paintings, even a futon! It's a convertible that is actually useful and has a back seat – how many convertibles can you say that about?
    8) I've seen these cars tricked out and they look great with rugged tires and racks for off-roading.
    9) soft top options for removing pieces of it so you can enjoy the breeze without the trouble of removing the entire thing. You can take out the back window easily, and also the front part folds back on a hinge to create a huge sunroof.

Hope this is helpful! All in all, I do love my car. I've been told by a trusted mechanic that they don't ever fully die, though you can expect to fix little things here and there throughout their life.

Best Regards,

Alicia
  • appellofappellof Member Posts: 54
    Alicia,

Thanks for the information. I am a mechanic so I can repair anything that may go wrong. I noticed that your list of negatives is shorter than the positives. I really appreciate the info. I am a no frills guy. I am just looking for a cute little SUV. When I get one, I will probably put all kinds of toys on it. KC lights, Street Glow undercarrage lights a little winch stuff like that. As long as it does not become stupid looking of course. I have a few of them I am looking at. I really like the soft top though. Thanks again for the information.

Daniel
    Alicia,

I just had to tell you, I got my 1995 Geo Tracker on Friday. You are right, the interior is cheap. However, it is very fun to drive and it is more comfy than my 2000 Alero. It is the Hard top version. It does not have A/C nor power windows, power mirrors, cruise control or electric door locks. It has a maunal transmission. I like that it has none of the modern amenities therefore I don't have to worry about power window switches going bad or the A/C failing ......etc.

Thanks again for you recent input.

Daniel
    Congrats! =) Enjoy your new Tracker! :)
  • lisadawnlisadawn Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 1998 Geo Tracker 2WD Automatic transmission. When we are on the highway, and get to about 65 mph, it will not shift into overdrive. The rpms stay at 4,000. Also our engine light has been on ever since we bought it a couple of days ago. Any suggestions?
    This will happen to me once in a while – sometimes for no reason but usually it's when the car isn't sufficiently warmed up yet, or I've just started driving on the freeway for the first time since I started the car for that driving trip. It's not ideal, but here's something that works for me: Get in the right lane for safety, take foot off gas, shift to neutral, then shift back to Drive, foot back on gas. Might have to try it twice. I can hear the gears shift into place after I do this. I have a 2wd automatic 1994.
  • lorisanlorisan Member Posts: 3
    did u ever find out what the problem is that it will not shift out of 4h? Mine will start torqueing to the right after about 5 miles when in 4H, but the only way I can get it to come out is stop, reverse quickly and then go forward, end of problem. I have a 2000, 2.0l, manual trans
  • joker772008joker772008 Member Posts: 2
    when i shift into 4wd hi/or low the front wheels dont spin,the ds from transfer case to front diff spins.the air pump behind bumper is putting out 6lbs of pressure to air nipple on diff.butt no engagement.sound like the locker inside diff has crapped out?i serviced front diff and it was full of milky white fluid,i drained and flushed a few times and filled it back up with correct grade of gear oil and now it stays clean
    any ideas?
    mike
  • heather40heather40 Member Posts: 2
    hi, just bought a 2000 tracker, and it is having the same problem shifting into 2nd gear! after 2nd it shifts fine. did you find out what was wrong? can anybody help with this problem?
  • radcoradco Member Posts: 2
    The problem with my transmission was the Speed Sensor.. Mine would take forever to shift into second,But while driving If I let off the gas alot of time it would then shift.. The first thing I did was have the transmission fluid changed but that didnt fix it,Im sure it was time to change it anyway.. Did you get any lights come on in the dash? Mine did and left the speed sensor code..so you may want someone to scan your car computer
  • heather40heather40 Member Posts: 2
    yes i got the light on the dash, and the mechanic said it was a control speed sensor. i brought up the schematic online, but there are two sensors, so i am not sure which one or both, to replace.
  • lazyduck15lazyduck15 Member Posts: 1
    Could you share the part number and vendor of your spare part. Miy Tracker is a year 2000 2.0 l Automatic 2rwd. The reading on my carś control panel fos speed has gone as well as no registering distance. Engine and transmission are working properly.
  • smokersmoker Member Posts: 1
    2001 tracker 4-wheel drive, with auto. transmission, will not move it's self in drive, or second, but will backup and move in low, can shift from low to second and from second to drive, and then it shifts normal, until i slow down to about 2 miles per hour in drive, and then it will not move it's self, have to shift back down to low to get going,, any one else had this problem??
  • coot1coot1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1.6, '94, 4 WD, 2 dr. all original well maintained Geo Tracker for 16 years. About every 6-7 years we install new clutch assembly. Apparently unlike most average standards that have a clutch fork ours has a clutch yoke that pivots off a vertical rod to disengage the throw out bearing. On replacing the clutch 7 years ago it needed & we bought a new clutch fork/yoke when installing the clutch assembly kit. We are now putting in a new clutch assembly and the fork (yoke) is no longer available through a dealer and again the fork needs to be replaced. We are trying to locate a new fork or after market one without much success calling & looking everywhere. Anyone have a clue?
    Also, is this a common problem with clutch forks on Geo Trackers?? Ordinarily on standards like my '69 Chevy truck we never had to replace the clutch fork.
    Hi I found one. It is at Oreilly auto parts. I don't know if there is Oreilly auto parts store where you live, but they have them. I don't know if they may have it in stock or not, but they can get it. Another option is you may have to go to the junk yard. Good luck with it.

Daniel
  • bodallybodally Member Posts: 5
    maybe check the torque converter lock solenoid. if it is activated that might keep the tranny locked to the motor. I am trying to buy a used 98 tracker 1.6 with 3 speed automatic, and the engine light was on. dealer scanned for codes, and I am not sure of the code number , but the code was related to the possibility of a bad converter lock solenoid, only the converter was not locked up , it was just the opposite, it was not locking in properly. I called the closest Suzuki dealer and got a price quote of $125.00 and would need to wait a week for the part to come in. From what I have read..you would need to remove trans oil pan to replace the solenoid. Maybe the plunger is stuck on your solenoid, or broke off and stuck inside. I never owned a tracker or suzuki sidekick to be experienced, but you might check into that possibility. Hope this info might be helpful to you.
  • jbabs51jbabs51 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 chevy tracker with v6 and an automatic transmission. When i was driving down the interstate i noticed the engine was overheating, the guage was all the way to the top, turns out the fan belt popped. Had it towed home and replaced it. When i tried to drive it again i noticed that it would not go when it was in drive. Reverse and L work just fine, but not the others. Checked the transmission fluid and it was low, so i added more. This did not help it. I am trying to find out if there is something the belt might have knocked loose or did the engine overheating possibly mess something else up. Thanks for the help
  • rkanicsarrkanicsar Member Posts: 2
    i recently purchased this vehicle and im having problems with the transmission. It will not shift in to reverse without grinding and shifts in to first hard. I just changed the tranmission fluid and now i am just having the issue with reverse but at random times cold or hot doesnt make a difference. the fluid that was in tranmission was not the required synkromesh tranmission fluid it was a unknown grade of gear oil and only a little over a qt of fluid came out when i changed it. we have only owned the vehicle for about a month and the prior owner told me that he had changed the tranmission fluid.
  • nolawyersnolawyers Member Posts: 3
    On a 2000 Tracker 4WD, 5 spd. transmission. what is transmission R&R time ? Have bad clutch throwout arm to replace.
    Thanks in advance.
  • entrailentrail Member Posts: 2
  • nolawyersnolawyers Member Posts: 3
    It is just possible that the clutch is dragging a little. In my case it was cracked and bending throwout arm. Could also be air in clutch hydraulic line.
    All my life, I have been working on vehicles. 99.9 % of the time, the engine would not start or run correctly (i.e. runs rough, starts but dies, has mis-fire, broken timing chain/belt, bad fuel pump, and the list continues). Now, I have not had this issue before. When I start the engine, it starts with no problem the only thing is it is idleing at 3000 RPM. I looked at the throttle linkage and the throttle body and it is all okay. I looked at the hoses and they are not cracked. There were no troubles at all on Thusrday evening when I parked it in the car port. Friday morning it started doing this high RPM issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel
  • faecanuckfaecanuck Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an '01 Tracker, after waiting for a long time to get one. It's a 5 speed, 4x4 and the tranny needs some work. I was told the clutch at first, and it seemed like a clutch issue, so a new clutch kit went in. Nope... further troubles led us to taking the tranny apart. I need a bearing kit, which isn't too much grief. The big problem is, I need a new Input Shaft.... Apparently ALL parts have been discontinued by GM. So, I've called around and called around and had lots of people give me their condolences, etc., but I still need that shaft. Any ideas?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    faecanuck said:

I just bought an '01 Tracker, after waiting for a long time to get one. It's a 5 speed, 4x4 and the tranny needs some work. I was told the clutch at first, and it seemed like a clutch issue, so a new clutch kit went in. Nope... further troubles led us to taking the tranny apart. I need a bearing kit, which isn't too much grief. The big problem is, I need a new Input Shaft.... Apparently ALL parts have been discontinued by GM. So, I've called around and called around and had lots of people give me their condolences, etc., but I still need that shaft. Any ideas?

Might need to find one from a salvage yard. Isn't that vehicle a twin to the Suzuki Vitara?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator