Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda's Best Model and Year

grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
Every body raves about "their" Honda. I'm wondering what owner's think about the best year,and model,and why.

Comments

• iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    Every model and year was great, because you still see so many honda accords from every model year still on the roads driving just fine. So unlike some other cars that stay at the repair and service shops a lot of the time.
    :D Honda vs :sick: some of those others
  • grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    I have a 2007 Accord SE V-6. I have had it for year now and like it.
    I was considering the '08,but wasn't happy about the VCM.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Gen V Accords (1994-1997). Still compact, fun to drive, enough room for a (small) family. Stellar reliability, good mileage for its time (23/31 for the non VTEC Auto).

I have 183,000 miles on my '96 Accord LX Auto, and only wish it was a VTEC with a 5-speed. Don't want the V6, and would give up the autobox, although it has been rock-solid.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I had a 92 EX sedan auto for 12 years (140k miles) and I liked it so much I could not sell it until after I purchased a new 03 EX V6 auto. The 03 has also been great for 5 years (57k miles). Can't say these were the best models because I haven't owned the others, but they are hard to beat.
    These have been pretty rock-solid reliable, similar to the '90-'93 models, but injected a little more flair in the design (I still REALLY like the Volvo-style character line that runs through my '96 sedan).

Of course after 195k miles, I'm quite biased towards this generation. :shades: Who wouldn't be?
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    Honda has produced some great cars over the past 15-20 years, but I think the Accord 2006-2007 is the best overall. By the end of this Accord model's production in 2007 Honda had perfected the car and today it is one of the most trouble free cars on the road. The car is an excelent balance of value, mechanical performance, and style.

However, although I am a fan of Honda products in general, I am disappointed to read so many posts about issues/problems that have plagued Honda's cars through the years: road noise; brakes and transmission failures; uncomfortable seats. One would think that by now Honda would have found ways to resolve these problems consistently.
  • mikecnorthwestmikecnorthwest Member Posts: 11
    I'm the original owner on a 96 Accord DX automatic. It was a loss leader car I bought new for $13,900. It's very basic with manual seats, manual windows, AM//FM/Cassette. We were a young family back then and had a limited budget. But we still have it and it only has 82k miles on it. It runs great.
    You should post CarSpace pictures! :)

Ok... here it is.

A DX? Thought those had black handles/moulding (like my car has black moulding). Is yours a Value Package/Special Edition of some kind, or a repaint?
    "However, although I am a fan of Honda products in general, I am disappointed to read so many posts about issues/problems that have plagued Honda's cars through the years: road noise; brakes and transmission failures; uncomfortable seats. One would think that by now Honda would have found ways to resolve these problems consistently."

Some people don't have a problem with the road noise (adds to the feel), don't have problems with the brakes, don't have transmission failures, and like the firm seats. Not saying the Accord is perfect, but it's as close (to me) as any car I've driven.
    thegraduate..... I pulled the window sticker out of my file and it's listed as a 1996 Accord 4DR Value Package. It lists among the value package items body colored protective side moldings, body colored collapsible door mirrors, and body colored exterior door handles. I never realized these weren't standard for the DX. It list total vehicle price as $17,390, but again it was a loss leader add for $13,900. It was the first time I had bought a car off a loss leader add. I showed up 15 minutes before the dealership opened and there was already one other person ahead me. They had two at this price so we both got one.
    Wow, thanks for going to all that trouble; and I'm glad you're still enjoying your Accord after all these years!
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    Without a doubt, 06-07 Accord is top's. I own an 06 Accord Sdn EX V-6, painted red, and I strongly feel that it's one of the most beautiful cars on the highway. It's roomy, comfortable, and the V-6 has plenty of power. I urge anyone who is looking for a great car then they should look into an 06-07 Accord EXL V6. The V6 is well worth the extra money, and won't disappoint.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I had a silver 06 Accord. With 20% window tint. It was a very classy looking car! I really like the LED rear lights, the dash lighting. Loved the 4cyl engine. Smooth, and had some pick up! I really liked the size of the car. I miss that car. I kept it look extremely clean and detailed! Who ever got my car next, certainly had a very nice car. I wonder if they kept it as nice? Probably not :(

I plan to get a Honda back. If I choose an Accord. I will pick the EX-L V6 model this time. I have never driven the V6 Honda engine. But, I am sure its nice!
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Gen V Accords (1994-1997). Still compact, fun to drive, enough room for a (small) family. Stellar reliability, good mileage for its time (23/31 for the non VTEC Auto). "

I could not agree with you more. I had a 94 and put 190,000 on it before I sold it for $3500.00 Now I wish I would of kept it. I would like anyone to try to find anything negative about that model. That was one of the best cars I ever owned.
  • jonahdogjonahdog Member Posts: 28
    I've had the please of a 1988Lx, 1993Lx, 1994LX, 1996EXL, 2002SE, 2003EXL and 2007EXL. The 2002SE was maybe the most comfortable, but the 2007 Black EXL 5 spd is my favorite. All are/were 4 cyl. No problems with any and several went near 175k or more. :shades:
    My 92 EX was a great car for 12 years, that's why I have the 03 now. The 03 EX V6 is a totally different car, but the quality is the same, and the reliability of the 03 has been even better, up to this point.
  • enoughsaidenoughsaid Member Posts: 1
    06-07 good model years. I personally love the 98 accord 2.3. 225,000 miles no trany problems or any of the past Accord scuffs. I'm new to Edmunds and am finding good message boards.

Enjoy! :blush:
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    As the proud owner of gently used, light sky blue (Sage Green my [non-permissible content removed]!) 94 Accord LX coupe, I have to say I love the 94-97 generation. Turned 128k miles recently, still no problems, except for two things. I am down to one speaker, as the originals have went. Maybe I listen to my music too loud, but whatever. The other being the infamous (in salt-covered wintry Ohio, anyway) Honda rust spot. The spot is where the bumper meets the rear quarter panel, typically on the driver's side. Everyone I know who has one has the "Honda rust" in that spot. No biggy to me, though. Doesn't affect how the car drives. Which, for a sixteen year old car, it does so stunningly smooth. The thing is as reliable as the sunrise, and I love it for that.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've owned four Accords in the past ('85 SE-i 4-door, '89 LX-i 4-door, '92 EX 4-door and '96 EX 4-door). The first two were great cars (the leather sucked in the SE-i) but the the '92 remains the best car I've ever owned! I got it in 1993 with just under 10k on the odometer (graduation gift from my grandparents) and I still have it 17 years later! :shades:

The clutch has only been replaced twice (at 130k and again at just over 300k), but the engine and transmission are original. I've used Castrol Syntec motor oil from the day I got it and changed it every 7500 miles, religiously changed the timing belt every 90k and changed the manual transmission oil and had valve adjustments every 30k. Other than maintenance, it's only needed a new radiator, fuel pump, alternator and a couple of cv-joint replacements in all that time.

It doesn't use a drop of oil and the only clue to it's age is the slightly audible valve noise, but I'm the only one who seems to notice it and only until it runs for a minute or so. It's white with dark blue interior and the interior looks newer than in my '06 Mazda3! I retired it to weekend duty four years ago when I bought the Mazda, but the Mazda has already been far more trouble in the first 75k miles. :mad:

I leased a '96 Accord EX 4-door right out of college but kept the '92 (thankfully). The vast majority of '94-'97 Accord owners have had great luck with them and bulletproof reliability much like my '92. Unfortunately, I ended up with one of the very few lemons Honda built in '96. :cry: In the three years and 48k miles I drove it, the camshaft seal failed twice (instantly losing every drop oil from the engine). The head gasket blew at 42k miles, A/C compressor locked up just shy of 30k and there was an ongoing problem with the fuel injection or VTEC system for the last year or so that I had it....I HATED that car! I still had one year to go on my four year lease when a truck pulled out in front of me and totaled it...and the airbags worked perfectly and probably saved my life. Although the rear view mirror broke loose and shattered when it hit my skull, which required 32 staples and hurt like hell!

I replaced it with a '94 Acura Legend L 4-door that I would still be driving if a drunk driver hadn't hit me (t-boned on the passenger side) in 2001. He was driving a Ford F150 and was going 45-50mph when he hit me. The passenger side door panel bruised my right arm and thigh, if that gives you an idea of how hard the impact was. The roof and floorpan buckled, which exploded window except the driver's side. The car's overall size and very strong construction definitely saved my life that time...I wouldn't have fared nearly as well in my beloved '92 Accord. The '91-'95 Legend is the other Honda design I hold it the highest esteem...and I'm always on the lookout for a '94-'95 GS 4-door in good condition to snatch up, even to this day....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    06-07 good model years. I personally love the 98 accord 2.3. 225,000 miles no trany problems or any of the past Accord scuffs. I'm new to Edmunds and am finding good message boards.

Enjoy!

I have a '98 4 cyl (2.3?). Purchased in '03 with 72,000 miles and now has 182,000. I've had a few glitches that cost a bit of money so I was disappointed in those instances but overall, now that it's running great, it's still a great car. Gets a good 32-34MPG in the summer/highway and seems like it's just getting its second wind. It will go to my daughter in the Fall so we just purchased a 2010 Sonata. Drove the new car then got back in the Honda and didn't notice much difference (would have looked at new Accords but too much $$$) in the drive quality. Not that the Sonata is bad, just that the Accord is that good, even at it's ripe old age! The fit and finish still great. Good model/generation in my opinion.
  • fnc119fnc119 Member Posts: 12
    My 2005 Accord LX has 119,000 on it. I have replaced brakes 2x and tires 2x. I had a $3.00 oil switch replaced by dealer ($200 for installation.) I think that speaks well for the model's reliability. On Monday I am trading it for a 2010 EX, the dealer that has serviced it made me an offer I could not refuse. I will miss the LX but I am certain the EX will more than make up for it. I will report back on how the 2010 EX and I get along.
  • limaguy79limaguy79 Member Posts: 5
    Our household owns a 2003 (manual 6 speed) and 2006 Accord Coupe Automatic, both V6s. Aside from the model freshening of the 06 which I think makes the car look even better.... (more agressive, sportier and a little more power) Both cars have been fantastic. There have been NO mechanical problems with the 06' and the oxygen sensor needed replaced on the 03' late last year. General rule of thumb though is to wait until the 2nd year of the current generation to purchase and let the manufacturer work out whatever bugs there may be.
  • cheriem65cheriem65 Member Posts: 1
    While searching for a reliable auto I came across this Edmunds forum and just had to reply to you. I have a '94 Honda Accord EX but I've just had an accident that requires 3 to 5K for structural work (took out the lamphousing on the passenger side and pushed the metal fender into the right front tire) and so am looking for a replacement car. Emily (I figured that any auto this old and reliable deserves a name) has 293,638 miles on her and I would have gotten about 40K more had I not run into something (red face here). I've had little stuff replaced throughout the years and have kept up with the usual high-mileage bits such as timing belts, etc. I'm also obsessive about oil changes so hers' was changed every 3 to 4,000 and it seems to have paid off for me. I'm rather in a dither because I've just retired and didn't count on having to buy another car anytime in the near future. The car I had before Emily was a 1992 Acura Integra and I would still have it had someone not stolen it when I lived in Cal. (The 1992 Acura Integra be faaassst and was fun to drive on the 5 between L.A. and San Francisco!) I have no idea where to go from here because new car doesn't work for me financially and even the used Accords are way up there in price. How do you begin to look for a replacement that will take 200,000 and over in mileage without costing a fortune! As you've probably noticed I become attached to my cars. Actually, it runs in the family because no one owns a car less than 14 years old. It's not considered sporting! Oh well. I'll still have my memories. LOL.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I like my 02 V6 EXL Accord. Good Greenhouse views. Substiantial feel to metal and very comfortable seats. 126,205 miles. Sometimes tow a small bass boat. Just normal maintenance. Did have to replace 2 motor mounts at 96,000. Runs and looks like new. Cashmere color which was a color with a clearcoat. 3 coats of Meguier's wax Spring and Fall.
  • rickster93rickster93 Member Posts: 1

I haven't owned a Honda being a BMW enthusiast, but have driven and known nearly every Honda after 91. I will easily say the best honda ever made is the 94-97 fifth gen accord. The look of that car seems timeless, and is very, very well made for its class. Exterior looks great with its curves, lights, and sloping good looking trunk-lid. The interior is very high-quality, especially for its time, with its extensive use of soft-touch materials and good looking dash layout with good button use and placements. The engine is typical honda, (being good) and introducing the vtec engine to the ex model was a huge plus.

To this day, i still believe the fifth gen accord was the best honda for its time, (I also liked the last-gen Prelude). I love my BMW, but am searching for a 94-95 Accord EX under 70k miles for a commuting car (since easier to maintain and to preserve my Bimmer). I still think its the best looking accord, and kinda want one before they die lol.